Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

pnutz posted:

doesn't filth gimp the units it's on? it would seem penalties on weapon teams would be quite significant

No the penalties are the effects of the poison the unit hits with, it has no downside on the unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

In case you want your nuclear-powered magic lightning cannons to be even more obscenely powerful, I can confirm that Bless With Filth works on them too. I don't know how explosive green lightning bolts can also poison their targets, but it sure is disgusting.

Presumably the lightning is now extra radioactive.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Started a VH malekith, Mung declared war by turn 16 with 3 stacks that moved together. The upkeep on 8 shades was my entire income.

I feel like they went a little overboard on the H to VH jump.

Also, FWIW, when you load a save the AI doesn't always commit to the same actions, so I was able to save my Teclis campaign. Got the DE intervention to not spawn for a couple turns and only lost some minor settlements to the 7 stacks of Chaos that spawned before I moon dragooned the lot of them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 9, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Well, that's excellent news.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kanos posted:

Like the new guy isn't a nazi too.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress are Skaven tiresome to fight in the campaign on v hard. Armies full of fast ranged units that break easy and then reform 10 times before finally shattering. They're worse than Norsca. Not challenging, just an annoying chore

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

gently caress are Skaven tiresome to fight in the campaign on v hard. Armies full of fast ranged units that break easy and then reform 10 times before finally shattering. They're worse than Norsca. Not challenging, just an annoying chore

There's an AI recruitment mod out already if you want to cut down on the ranged spam. I'm thinking about using it for the same reason. Also a little sick of the HE armies that are a lord, 2 melee infantry, and 17 archers/horse archers.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I love this game but have a bad habit of not seeing campaigns through to the end. Once Im over 100 odd turns and i have a massive block of land and 3 or 4 good stacks I always get impatient and want to try a new faction or lord.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Brasseye posted:

I love this game but have a bad habit of not seeing campaigns through to the end. Once Im over 100 odd turns and i have a massive block of land and 3 or 4 good stacks I always get impatient and want to try a new faction or lord.

Same. It took me a solid abandoned game with each faction to finish my lizards. Now I'm on Skaven. I want to do High Elves next but I really want to shoot for combined arms because poo poo tons of sea guard just isn't loads of fun on the tactical map.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

Same. It took me a solid abandoned game with each faction to finish my lizards. Now I'm on Skaven. I want to do High Elves next but I really want to shoot for combined arms because poo poo tons of sea guard just isn't loads of fun on the tactical map.

Play Teclis if you want to do this, because playing as Tyrion means you'll likely fight a million dark elves, and your average AI Dark Elf army composition consisting of Every Repeater Crossbow In Naggaroth will quickly break down your resolve to not deploy sea boys with their silver shields.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
One victory condition is wiping out the other factions doing the ritual.
If you're having issues staying focused/bored of managing your sprawling empire; you could just grab 2 full provinces and make peace with your neighbours.

Then go crusade against other playable factions. Works great for slavery-happy Dark elves and trade-happy High Elves.

Skaven have issues on the high seas though. That autoresolve...

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Kanos posted:

Why's that?

Kanos posted:

Play Teclis if you want to do this, because playing as Tyrion means you'll likely fight a million dark elves, and your average AI Dark Elf army composition consisting of Every Repeater Crossbow In Naggaroth will quickly break down your resolve to not deploy sea boys with their silver shields.

Or you could do what I did and send an army to Araby to take out the factions there because they won't stop declaring war on me! :argh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RBA-Wintrow posted:

One victory condition is wiping out the other factions doing the ritual.
If you're having issues staying focused/bored of managing your sprawling empire; you could just grab 2 full provinces and make peace with your neighbours.

Then go crusade against other playable factions. Works great for slavery-happy Dark elves and trade-happy High Elves.

Skaven have issues on the high seas though. That autoresolve...

I went and smashed up the high elves for this reason. Sent two stacks of stinky lizards over to cause trouble and they ended up razing half the place before the elves managed to put up a real fight.

I love sacking a razing poo poo because the recovery is so much worse than simply recapturing your cities.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kanos posted:

I payed some Teclis and was kind of keen to start on high elf home turf with a fighter since I've just done Mazda as my LL, but that makes sense.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm nearing the end of my first campaign as Skaven, and I'm starting to see the shortcomings of the Vortex campaign mechanics. Turns out there's no point at all to intervening on rituals(except the last one) as each side will continue to accumulate their vortex resource. As soon as they finally manage to finish the delayed ritual, their progress jumps up to where it would be if the ritual had never been delayed. I was able to keep a few armies in Ulthuan for ~30 turns to delay the High Elves, but shortly after I left to go gently caress with the Dark Elves they finished their ritual and were right behind me in progress. I would focus on accumulating warpstone instead for faster rituals, but somehow even with four warpstone mines I'm neck and neck with the other factions for resource accumulation. And finally, the intervention armies get absolutely ridiculous on the later stages. I can understand having eight stacks coming at me, but when they both spawn on top of my cities and are completely made up of high-experience top-tier units, it's not much fun. Oh, and food requirements get kinda absurd late game with a large empire. I can't afford to lose out on tax revenue for more food production, so I'm always either at 0 food or just above 0 after winning a large battle.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

I payed some Teclis and was kind of keen to start on high elf home turf with a fighter since I've just done Mazda as my LL, but that makes sense.

Dark Elf vs High Elf has to be some of the most boring poo poo. Campaign wise anyway, MP i hear is more a poo poo show. Kinda devolves into "who can bring the most ranged in a stack"

Granted you can bring more melee but there's very little reason to when a stack of Seaguard and Bolt throwers very much gets the job done.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think I would have interventions spawn with no movement points, and have the other chaos and unknown spawns remain the same, but have them be at war with everyone. For high elves, it's weak play to not control the gates as the level 40s will just walk right through military allies taking a tiny bit of attrition damage.

Overall I really like the campaign but there's definitely tweaks I'd like to see. (Also it's weird to me that in the high elf trailer Teclis recommends allying with the lizardmen when you start to hate each other if you do the objectives.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Blinks77 posted:

Dark Elf vs High Elf has to be some of the most boring poo poo. Campaign wise anyway, MP i hear is more a poo poo show. Kinda devolves into "who can bring the most ranged in a stack"

Granted you can bring more melee but there's very little reason to when a stack of Seaguard and Bolt throwers very much gets the job done.

I just want an AI mod so that I don't have to fight 2-4 dragons and a few phoenixes. They are the worst battles.

I still think about trying to make a mod that would give you 3 army sizes based on upkeep that provides an ambush or movement penalty / bonus.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Some QoL changes I'd like to see:

-Autosave triggering at the beginning of the turn, not the end. Often if you moved badly and get stomped, going back and re-trying the last turn doesn't really help you.

-Some toggle that lets you basically diplomatically ignore requests of a given faction, so you don't have to turn down their peace/join war with/etc requests every drat turn.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, intervention stuff is a bit weird. When I started my first Ritual, Chaos forces spawned and took boats across the sea and that was pretty cool. Second Ritual, they spawned in far North and on boats, so I moved forces to intercept at a chokepoint. Next turn, they all teleported into the middle of my empire. I was like "Oh."

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

My Morathi game has been somewhat smooth since I've maintained good relationship with Malekith and he controls almost everything to the north of me and has also been wrecking poo poo on Ulthuan.

Then as I send an intervention army after the rats and thus declare war on them I discover that Malekith had a defense alliance with them. Ouch.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well it took me about 150 turns, and I could have probably just done this in custom battles for the novelty factor, but I finally have Kroq'Gar on Grimloq with 9 scar veterans on carnosaurs in a single army. Is it optimal? Probably not, but it is insanely bad rear end and fun. Almost every battle goes the same way though. I have 10 units of saurus warriors that hold the enemy in place (and almost always get completely massacred) and then the t-rex crew comes in and slaughters everything while it's nice and grouped up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think I would have interventions spawn with no movement points, and have the other chaos and unknown spawns remain the same, but have them be at war with everyone. For high elves, it's weak play to not control the gates as the level 40s will just walk right through military allies taking a tiny bit of attrition damage.

Overall I really like the campaign but there's definitely tweaks I'd like to see. (Also it's weird to me that in the high elf trailer Teclis recommends allying with the lizardmen when you start to hate each other if you do the objectives.)

The thing is he doesn't say we should ally with anyone.

He says we need to protect the lesser races. It's just Elf Superiority poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Death Runners are so much fun in castle sieges, they can sneak in through a side the enemy isn't guarding and do quite a lot of damage in cramped areas where missile units can't easily shoot them. It is also fun watching them fight, as their attack animations make it look like each one is swordfighting against multiple enemies, along with fancy backflips and stuff that they do.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As a note regarding quickly building gimmick Lizardman heroes on dinos armies, keep watch on your hero lists for the Humble trait (a Lizardman unique one). It gives +2 Hero recruit rank for the local province - and it stacks.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
What is the best skaven unit for auto-resolves? I swear that I am going to destroy the elves on the Fortress of Dawn. As soon as I find a way to get through your unbeatable navy. :argh:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gaghskull posted:

What is the best skaven unit for auto-resolves? I swear that I am going to destroy the elves on the Fortress of Dawn. As soon as I find a way to get through your unbeatable navy. :argh:

according to reddit, death globadiers

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Mazz posted:

Started a VH malekith, Mung declared war by turn 16 with 3 stacks that moved together. The upkeep on 8 shades was my entire income.

I feel like they went a little overboard on the H to VH jump.

Also, FWIW, when you load a save the AI doesn't always commit to the same actions, so I was able to save my Teclis campaign. Got the DE intervention to not spawn for a couple turns and only lost some minor settlements to the 7 stacks of Chaos that spawned before I moon dragooned the lot of them.
I abandoned a VH Queek game in favor of a H one. At turn 15, Kroq-gar finished off the the last of the neutral Skaven and showed up on my border with a full stack of mid tier troops (3x Cold One Riders, 2x feral stegadons, 6x Blessed Saurus, etc) and second 2/3 stack full of Saurus. The combat bonuses the AI gets are just too much in that kind of fight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

looks like faction unlocker updated so that some missing buildings are present and you can build more of the units

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It seems to me like Kroq is always going to have an OP start; saurus warriors are supposed to be the good guys equivalent of chaos warriors: hulking tough as nails infantry offset by being more expensive than all the other armies' equivalents. With kroq's upkeep bonus you can basically roll with a deathstack of elite t1 infantry from the get go

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Third World Reggin posted:

looks like faction unlocker updated so that some missing buildings are present and you can build more of the units

Do the Asrai work yet?

How many regions called "Vauls Anvil" are we up to yet? The high elves have one in Ulthuan, the dark elves named their own in Naggarond and the wood elves named the western part of Athel Loren that way to!

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Do the Asrai work yet?

How many regions called "Vauls Anvil" are we up to yet? The high elves have one in Ulthuan, the dark elves named their own in Naggarond and the wood elves named the western part of Athel Loren that way to!

IIRC that's all of them. All three worship Vaul and basically can't get anything made without his blessing.

I kind of like that unlike Hephaestus, this guy always has the same name.

Could be worse, each sub faction could have their own Vaul's Anvil.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 9, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheese posted:

I abandoned a VH Queek game in favor of a H one. At turn 15, Kroq-gar finished off the the last of the neutral Skaven and showed up on my border with a full stack of mid tier troops (3x Cold One Riders, 2x feral stegadons, 6x Blessed Saurus, etc) and second 2/3 stack full of Saurus. The combat bonuses the AI gets are just too much in that kind of fight.

Kroq is pretty brutal. I've been brute-force-reloading my way through a Queek / Very Hard campaign (restarted on VH after H got too easy) and the strategy that I've settled on is:

1) Do the ambush/lightning strike tree first. It's not optional; you'll never win without those advantages.

2)night/Gutter runners. If you try to go toe to toe vs a whole stack of lizard infantry, you'll just lose, period. Send a bunch of night/gutter runners (4-6 units total) around each side and try to hit from the rear. The goal with these units is to draw off lizard warriors from the main force and scatter them and get them enraged and charging in weird directions.

3) Artillery. Nothing else you have, especially early game, is gonna punch through their defenses. Just pound away at the rage balls from afar.

4) A screen of melee units to protect the artillery

5) some flanking damage-dealers (almost any melee units, really; menace below clanrats work fine) to envelop whatever lizards hit your screen.

I've managed to beat a few lizard armies with this and I don't even have the various skirmisher bonuses yet, so the strat works. Sometimes you get a bad map for it though; you need a good artillery vantage point.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 9, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I finally beat the War Crown of Saphery quest battle with VH Teclis. Sent a dragon to distract both groups of flanking rats. In the main fight, I had 4 spears, the phoenix, and the rest archers.
Archers focus fire dangerous things like plague monks, warpfire throwers, and their general. Phoenix flys up and down the line so the fear effect sends the rats running back away so archers can shoot them more.

Then the bats show up and things get dicey for awhile. Couldn't hardly see my lines for all the bats everywhere. Any archer's not distracted by lesser bats focus fire on that awful giant bat while the phoenix and a third dragon melee it. The archers do most of the damge, but the first time I tried I didn't bring a third dragon and the giant bat (terrorgheist?) killed Teclis in about 10 seconds flat.

I have no idea how to do this fight without dragons. You're just so massively outnumbered.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 9, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Do the Asrai work yet?

just checked, and nope

unless you have a mod that adds units to a faction, then you can use those instead

only radious units 24/7

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Plavski posted:

according to reddit, death globadiers

Since apparently the unit's ammo count also factors into their auto resolve effectiveness, be sure to upgrade their ammo and invest in Lord skill and warlock engineer skills that boost it. All combined I think those dudes can be packing over 50% more globes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that makes me believe more in my conspiracy theory that is the role of corsairs with handbows

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Since apparently the unit's ammo count also factors into their auto resolve effectiveness, be sure to upgrade their ammo and invest in Lord skill and warlock engineer skills that boost it. All combined I think those dudes can be packing over 50% more globes.

You really want these skills for globadiers even without taking into account autoresolve. Their biggest weakness is definitely their ammo count. By default you can only blow up a quarter of your own front line instead of the entire thing, and their melee stats are trash so they can't even charge in to do some work like a lot of other low-ammo units.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well it took me about 150 turns, and I could have probably just done this in custom battles for the novelty factor, but I finally have Kroq'Gar on Grimloq with 9 scar veterans on carnosaurs in a single army. Is it optimal? Probably not, but it is insanely bad rear end and fun. Almost every battle goes the same way though. I have 10 units of saurus warriors that hold the enemy in place (and almost always get completely massacred) and then the t-rex crew comes in and slaughters everything while it's nice and grouped up.

Just go Lord on carnosaur + 19 feral carnosaurs.

:getin:

Also you don't need to wait for siege engines because they bash down gates in 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Intervention armies could use a polish pass. Having a Skaven stack with no less than 4 Hellpit Abominations, (not counting the warp cannons, death globadiers, stormvermin, and death runners) is maybe just a wee bit too much for turn 25. My level 3 capital garrison put up an excellent fight which bloodied the stack enough to let my main stack finish it off, but it still got razed in the process, putting me out ~40k gold in lost buildings + rebuild costs. I'm just not sure how to respond to a tier 3 intervention so early in the game outside of camping your main army in the capitol for 10 turns, which is almost as devastating in opportunity cost.