Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The wrongest opinion, good lord.

Yeah no kidding. The T-34 with the 57mm is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sayara posted:

This. It seems whoever sports more of these at tier VIII wins. Also gently caress me Caernarvon is painful and tier VIII in general, 150 games and avg battle tier is 9.7. :smithicide:

Why are you playing the Caernarvon now? It's in it's shittest version and is about to be hugely buffed. Hold off until the patch hits.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cartoon posted:

In other news T67 = Great -> Hellcat = Not quite rubbish -> T25/2 = ??? It has the same alpha as the hellcat? What makes this worth grinding for? Unless told otherwise the American TD line stops at the T67. The T28, T95 and the T1103E can not be worth the pain.

Three years ago the T25/2 was fantastic, it was a better medium tank than all but two of the actual tier 7 medium tanks.

Probably still a better medium tank, but not playing world of tanks is even better.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

James Garfield posted:

Three years ago the T25/2 was fantastic, it was a better medium tank than all but two of the actual tier 7 medium tanks.

Probably still a better medium tank, but not playing world of tanks is even better.

It's still good (and still better not to play at all). The main downside the T25/2 has vs other T7 medium tanks is that the combination of a low turret rotation speed and lower HP makes it really easy to get yoloed by opposing light tanks. This means you should play it a bit further back (and less aggressively) than the others. Or do what I did and stubbornly continue to play aggressively and just accept that 1/10 games you'll get yoloed.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
arty is the best thing in this game when your team melts everything you hit, 7.7k assist http://wotreplays.eu/site/3870689#live_oaks-turmoilx-g_w_e_100

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Why are you playing the Caernarvon now? It's in it's shittest version and is about to be hugely buffed. Hold off until the patch hits.

Might be a sucker for pain and attempting to get fv215b before patch hits.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

At tier 9 and 10 yeah, most things will have 400+ view ranges. At 4-8 however, you still get plenty of tanks that even with binocs dont get up to 450m. I'm not saying repairs is garbage, its great. I just think its less useful than camo now we have reusable repair kits. I'd argue that camo is far more useful for mediums than repairs to start with.

The problem with camo is that it's only useful on certain tanks in certain situations on certain maps. There's also the fact that you can do other things to avoid being spotted like staying out of draw distance or staying double-bushed. Repair is potentially useful every time you get shot, plus it lets you save your repair kit uses for when you actually need them.

Also, you only need 360m of view range to hit 450m with binocs, so most tier 6, 7, and 8 tanks can easily reach that. Plus most maps are city maps or lane maps so you're usually fighting at close range. The combination of camo being so situational with the excessive view ranges and corridor maps makes repair a better choice for most tanks in the current meta.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

pretty much sixth sense on commander and repairs on rest as first skill any tank then after that its preference i guess, snapshot and smooth ride should also be on after those then either camo or brothers in arms, 'orzanel' has a in depth guide about this

Got it. Thanks to you and everyone else that replied. The T-60 actually got much better with the 45mm gun and a bit more caution.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Last two days on EU have been surprisingly good somehow. Rarely ended up with the AIDS-Team ruining my fun, miraculously found myself as top-tier more than 20% of the time, and made some good progress toward the FV215b and M41 Bulldog before they remove it/gently caress up the grind, respectively. Clanmate of mine is still salty over the needless twiddle that WG made to the USSR medium line; he's been stuck with some 40k on his T-34-85 since originally going for the KV-13, and it's ended up being a complete waste of time!

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The Tiger 2 grind is still going well. Somehow still above 60% winrate. I broke down and free XPed the tracks so I could mount the turret and bounced 3 shots from a T110E4 somehow.

How is matchmaking for tier 9 tanks? Do you have to mostly fight tier 9s and 10s or is it a mix of 7s through 10s?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

2Jets posted:

How is matchmaking for tier 9 tanks? Do you have to mostly fight tier 9s and 10s or is it a mix of 7s through 10s?

Varies, but you usually end up in a 5/10 setup vs 5 Tier X, with 3/5/7 as mid-tier being frequent enough. Being top tier isn't rare per se, but still relatively uncommon; when you actually get top tier in a Tier IX it's loving amazing to be able to just mindlessly poo poo on lower-tiers for once though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What's the best way to earn like 20+ million credits? Thinking about getting back into the game after a 3 year break from pubbie stupidity. I had bought the is-4, is-7, couple t8 arty, e-100, couple other t10 tanks at one time or another but I seem to have sold most of them off... got about 2mil credits total. Although I probably won't get arty again since I never managed to do that well with the top tier ones.

Heh.. when I was still playing, the 261/t92 were tier 8.. now they're tier 10.

Have a link to my stats if anyone cares about that crap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

What's the best way to earn like 20+ million credits? Thinking about getting back into the game after a 3 year break from pubbie stupidity. I had bought the is-4, is-7, couple t8 arty, e-100, couple other t10 tanks at one time or another but I seem to have sold most of them off... got about 2mil credits total. Although I probably won't get arty again since I never managed to do that well with the top tier ones.

Heh.. when I was still playing, the 261/t92 were tier 8.. now they're tier 10.

Have a link to my stats if anyone cares about that crap.

Grab a tier 8 premium tank (you can check profitability based on certain parameters here, although you generally want something with low ammo costs (smaller shells, like 90 mm) and high penetration (200 mm or better) so you don't have to spam gold, and something pref like the FCM50 is probably a good choice) and run credit boosters with a premium account. So in other words, real money + time = credits.

Also, buying, selling, and re-buying tier 10s is not a recipe for profit, especially since you somehow managed to end up with less credits than the sale value of all the tanks listed! :psyduck: The E-100 is worth re-buying (and keeping :colbert:) but I'd suggest passing on the IS-4 (and maybe the IS-7, it's not my playstyle at least.) Also, unless you're in a hurry, wait for half-off sales for tanks (tier 10s occasionally go 15 or 30% off max though,) equipment, and consumables.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Those two British premium tanks that are currently on sale aren't that bad either. The AC4 can pen most things it faces without gold ammo and ends up making decent credits. If you like assault TDs the Chinese premium one is cool too.

Overall it seems to be more about what play style you like and what you're good at, than the tank itself.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I recommend not paying for a tier 8 tank to grind credits unless they change the matchmaking system so that it's possible to be top tier more often than one in every 20 games. But if you need one the Skorpion G is a pretty good credit earner if you can wait for it to be available.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
On a similar note, I don't think pred MM tanks are that great any more since I seem to always get put into 5 t9/10 t8 matches, which is something that is more like a t7.5 in many cases is no fun.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

On a similar note, I don't think pred MM tanks are that great any more since I seem to always get put into 5 t9/10 t8 matches, which is something that is more like a t7.5 in many cases is no fun.

My theory is that the Defender was put into the game in order to break the back of the IS-6 spam forcing those players to face a tank that did the same thing but better.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My theory is that wargaming is simply horribly bad at anything

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

My theory is I quit for a goddamn reason. WG lucked into something that worked pretty well, and it becomes more and more clear that they don't know what makes things good.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am not sure how, but this weekend proved to me that it takes a gently caress ton of time to get back in the groove of this game.

I am not sure how or why I did as well as I did, but what the gently caress ever.

On a side note: The T7 French heavy is a pretty rad medium tank.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just remember when you are in your tier 8, fighting all those tier 9 and 10's drastically increase the HP pool to farm credits and xp from.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
so i should be getting another 2k gold from this season as well :shepface: :10bux:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Not sure why anyone would want to do this but with the current bonus to gold when buying with a CC on NA, you can get a year's premium for $88 which is a fairly good deal.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

BadLlama posted:

Not sure why anyone would want to do this but with the current bonus to gold when buying with a CC on NA, you can get a year's premium for $88 which is a fairly good deal.

Don't they normally sell a year for $50 at Christmas?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

Na I think its 15% off? so $85ish

I bought that at the end of 2013 then proceeded to not play again until the end of 2014.

Well I don't remember it going on sale that much before, I should pay attention and grab it for 40% or 50% off.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

yeah it was a pretty good deal for 50$ last year also just made an account named drivefastandeatass ..i have plans for this..arty chasing

so with the tutorial new thing when you finish it it gives u 500 gold as a new player, on top of invite code wotreddit =1k gold =t2 light fast tank right off the bat

update-i quickly lost interest after i remembered how bad low tier battles are https://imgur.com/a/RLVYF im just gonna yolo now like original plan

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 9, 2017

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

xthetenth posted:

WG lucked into something that worked pretty well, and it becomes more and more clear that they don't know what makes things good.

I've historically given WG a lot of credit for the changes they try, but have been singularly unimpressed with the game after the MM and SPG changes. And the player meta has certainly gone downhill.

Actually I think it just hasn't been the same ever since the removal of the ability to type in trolling comments to the enemy team.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
MM changes made playing a tier 3 fun again... at least.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I've historically given WG a lot of credit for the changes they try, but have been singularly unimpressed with the game after the MM and SPG changes. And the player meta has certainly gone downhill.

Actually I think it just hasn't been the same ever since the removal of the ability to type in trolling comments to the enemy team.

I mean they did kind of deliberately monkey's paw the whole MM change.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Matchmaker is working exactly as Wargaming intended for it to work with the redesign.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Matchmaker is working exactly as Wargaming intended for it to work with the redesign.

Yep. That's what I was getting at. They managed to deliberately make something that should've been good utterly awful. :wargaming:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

CompeAnansi posted:

They did this for Thanksgiving last year fyi. One of the best deals that wasnt abusing jigtig88s from pinguin or the t-127 from back in the day

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

To be fair, they are at least trying to put in reasons to play your tier X. Even if they seem to be drowning on actually executing it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They did this for Thanksgiving last year fyi. One of the best deals that wasnt abusing jigtig88s from pinguin or the t-127 from back in the day

Both of these were only for the NA server if any fellow EU players are kicking themselves for missing it. Don't worry, it was never on offer!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're replacing the T-10 with the Object 257. Looks like a Defender with slightly more alpha.

Replacing tanks is one way to get away with not having to bring in new lines I suppose.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Really? Because the T-10 itself replaced the IS-8(?) a while back.

E: Huh.

quote:

According to the well informed people from WoT Express, WG is planning to swap the T-10 for the Object 257. The T-10 will supposedly be moved to a branch starting from the IS-3.
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/10/07/wot-supertest-t-10-object-257/#more-58448

E2: Also interesting:

quote:

Improvements to the Matchmaker

Now, the matchmaker attempts to assemble the teams considering the roles within the vehicle types: e.g., the Maus is matched against another Maus, Type 5 Heavy, or E 100, while the T57 Heavy is matched against the AMX 50B, etc.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 9, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

To be fair, they are at least trying to put in reasons to play your tier X. Even if they seem to be drowning on actually executing it.

You could always play your tier tens in random battles. It was just really expensive to do so, then they reduced the costs of playing tier tens so a bunch of shitters just played their nazi shitboxes and ruined matches for whatever team they got on forever, then gold ammo for credits came out and everything went to poo poo, then they increased the cost of the shells and everything remained poo poo forever.

They had a mediocre way to play tier tens in Clan Wars. They've dismantled CW piece by piece as long as I've been playing.

They had a perfectly reasonable way to play your tier 10s in the first Rampage mode, where they had a beta test and gave you a bunch of rental tier tens like a rental Leopard 1 among others. They then completely detonated Rampage mode with the dumb air strike consumable and making the game mode basically only playable through rigging matches.

They had an almost reasonable way to play tier 10s in Strongholds. Tier 10 Strongholds where the loser makes nothing and the winner gets a reasonable amount of credits would have been fine, but instead the winners lose a minor amount of credits and the losers lose 50k-100k. Fixing that economy would have been simple enough. Instead they killed that mode by putting air strikes in outside of advances (while also making tier 6s and 8s significantly less fun) and advances were pretty much always a joke because of air strikes.

Grand battles are possibly fine, except as far as I'm aware they don't exist.

Ranked was a bad idea, and they intentionally made it much worse in multiple ways for reasons that I don't actually understand. They had to walk back one of their changes and it still didn't actually help build interest in the game mode and I don't actually think they can fix Ranked anymore without a vast, resource-intensive campaign to build up player confidence. It's just a laughable waste of time for the slight chance to turn ~60 hours of effort into a slight advantage over someone who didn't waste half a week on turning a 5% advantage into a 7.5% advantage.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I wish they'd add something to encourage you to use multiple different T10s. Like I have almost all of them but there's hardly a reason to play more than a couple of them even if I feel the need to play T10s at all. It seems like it'd be good for WG to encourage people to go up new lines too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Really? Because the T-10 itself replaced the IS-8(?) a while back.

same tank, they just renamed it. i think at the same time as it got a HD model and a couple of buffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I wish they'd add something to encourage you to use multiple different T10s. Like I have almost all of them but there's hardly a reason to play more than a couple of them even if I feel the need to play T10s at all. It seems like it'd be good for WG to encourage people to go up new lines too.

Tank Locking in CW was supposed to be that but it never worked out that way.