Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people buy me a red text avatar about some drunkpost i made months after the fact. Like yeah it was a bad post, but how big of a loser do you have to be to comb through my post history that far back and get triggered enough to spend money to make me look like a moron? I do a good enough job at that on my own, you don't have to help.

Well, uh, huh. Hmm.

I certainly hope your pet peeve isn't people siding with the person who annoyed you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my mother's bothersome habits is to refuse help when it's offered then complain that nobody helped her.

Mine too. After about 10 years I've finally stopped taking the bait and just saying "Okay."

Pet peeve: Left turn arrows that operate randomly, and only last for about three seconds.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

Well, uh, huh. Hmm.

I certainly hope your pet peeve isn't people siding with the person who annoyed you!

Mostly I just want to know who did it and what they were doing either reading a 6 month old thread or going that far back in my post history, because it's kind of funny. The argument is extremely dead and irrelevant anyway. I actually kind of like it because unlike that food network lady one someone bought me, at least I understand why they bought it and think that was a stupid post of mine.

Anyway, another peeve: when you think someone really liked a gift you got them and then you find out months/years down the road that they just shoved it in a closet and never even used it. It should be socially acceptable to say you don't want/need a gift if that is the case - I could/would have taken it back and gotten them something else if they just would say so. I'd even rather they just give it away or regift it than keep it but never use it - at least let someone enjoy it. My mom is the worst with this.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

when you think someone really liked a gift you got them and then you find out months/years down the road that they just shoved it in a closet and never even used it.

When I was a teenager my dad would let me borrow his CDs and recommend bands he used to like growing up, and I usually liked them too. One year around his birthday I found out that one of the bands had released new music, so I got it for him thinking "Yeah! Dad strongly recommended this band, he'll love finding out they're still together!"

Years later I found the CD, still wrapped in plastic on a shelf. I shrugged and asked if I could burn it for myself. He said sure. I wasn't offended, but felt a little weird asking about it, so it just remained a mystery.

Years after THAT, I suddenly realized that when Dad originally told me about the band a decade previously, he hadn't said "Here's a band I used to like." He'd said "Here's a band I think you'll like."

Turns out I had given him a CD from a band he hates (only to take it back from him later). :v: That's my story.

Anyway, my coworker is still constantly telling me about her family drama whenever she has a moment of downtime. I remember last time I complained about this someone said to just tell her I had work to do, and I can now report back that she does not care. I can be typing, taking notes, pen in hand, whatever-- she just leans over the cubicle wall and starts up anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is a repeat (I'll check after this), but:

If I have to see/hear/read another "boo hoo my videos are demonetized", I'm going to flip a table.

It's 2017. Even before all of this recent stuff started, the notion of earning your money off YouTube ads was increasingly a joke. Most people have adblockers anyway, and there's folks out there who'll pay a legitimate service option to have no ads. On top of all that, there's poo poo like Patreon that has been seized upon by creator to do what has been roundly established to be the way to make money off your content. And finally, as a selfish consumer-person, I'm not weeping about the notion that your videos don't have ads anymore.

You're not going to stop making videos. You're not going to move to another platform that has 1% of the potential eyeballs. And if you do, it's youtube. You're replaceable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think ad-driven income needs to die. It's stupid. Make streamers and youtubers like their colleagues they don't like to talk about - camwhores. Charge money to let people watch you. That is the way of the future.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's pretty much already happened with Patreon and Twitch has a paid subscription model built-in. The Youtube ad revenue dropped like a rock.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve always felt ads are enormously overvalued. I’ve heard hundreds of blie apron, audible, etc ads on podcasts over and over, it just makes me hate the service. I don’t need to hear some podcaster hock you six times a day on my commute.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve always felt ads are enormously overvalued. I’ve heard hundreds of blie apron, audible, etc ads on podcasts over and over, it just makes me hate the service. I don’t need to hear some podcaster hock you six times a day on my commute.

I think the only ads that legitimately work on me are food ads and sometimes video game ads which makes me so ashamed I should probably just end it all

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whenever I rate a book on Goodreads it sends me an email telling me that I finished that book. I know I did. I just told you that. Why are you telling me the thing I just told you like as though it's news?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Training new people at work who have no interest in actually learning what I'm teaching. I'm happy to answer questions, but please try to listen to the answer I give you the first time.

Edit: Also people who cuss when they have to do work, at work. Like it's an inconvenience for them to stop looking at their phone and do what they get paid to do.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Oct 10, 2017

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

My pet peeve: People at work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My pet peeve: people.

My second pet peeve: work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People at lovely jobs who are enthusiastic. Class traitors, imo

If you’re an archaeologist or a game dev or a teacher, great, but gently caress no I’m not expending more than the bare minimum of effort for poo poo min wage post #44227.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Training new people at work who have no interest in actually learning what I'm teaching. I'm happy to answer questions, but please try to listen to the answer I give you the first time.

I hate this too. They will watch what you're doing, nod and say they understand every step, then freeze and start panicking when you get to the "OK, now you try it" part and I have to walk them through it again. I'm not showing you how to do it just for fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you’re an archaeologist or a game dev or a teacher, great, but gently caress no I’m not expending more than the bare minimum of effort for poo poo min wage post #44227.

lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I had to train a coworker to replace my role when I left my last job, and she kept telling me she didn't want to do it and was just gonna phone it in. Finally I'm just like "gently caress you, twist in the wind then" and two weeks later she's fired.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, in order to get that poo poo job obviously you have to ace the interview. And it turns out "I need money" isn't an acceptable answer to "What made you want to become a Seasonal Pants Folder/Customer Punching Bag?"

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I knew someone with basically the same attitude. I got him to sign off that I gave him every drat thing he needed. 3 months later after I no longer worked there, he was personally offering $1500 in cash to do one of his assignments.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I had to train a coworker to replace my role when I left my last job, and she kept telling me she didn't want to do it and was just gonna phone it in. Finally I'm just like "gently caress you, twist in the wind then" and two weeks later she's fired.

I had this happen once. Then she called me at my new job (God knows how she got the number) and asked me how to do one of the things I spent an hour showing her. The SECOND time she called me, I told her that if she called me again I was going to charge a $50 an hour consulting fee every time she called me. Never heard from her again.

Pet peeve: People who don't bathe/use deodorant. I don't care what your reason is. I'm not allowed to smoke indoors because you shouldn't have to breathe my filthy tobacco fumes. Fine. I shouldn't have to breathe your god-awful stench when I walk into a room.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Pet peeve: People who don't bathe/use deodorant. I don't care what your reason is. I'm not allowed to smoke indoors because you shouldn't have to breathe my filthy tobacco fumes. Fine. I shouldn't have to breathe your god-awful stench when I walk into a room.

Related, and the cause of this being so common: it shouldn't be such a controversial thing to tell someone they stink. A lot of the times they just aren't aware of it, or think that nobody can smell it. If you tell them they will get pretty embarrassed (as they should), but will usually make an effort to fix the issue if you're nice about it.

Other peeve: people who want you to do something/meet them/whatever and refuse to settle on a time. Like "hey could we talk this afternoon?". That could mean anywhere between 12-6, depending on how you define the start of "evening". At least give me an hour range. When you don't tell me it almost always means at like 6pm and you don't want me to say "oh how about tomorrow", which is very inconvenient because I come in much earlier than lunch like you and hate working into the evening. Even bigger peeve: when you tell me this, I wait around until like 5 waiting for the phone to ring, and I go down to ask if I can go home and I find out from the secretary that you left 2 hours ago. And yes, I've tried popping by a few times during the day and see if they are available, but they always either say "come back later" or are busy. Bosses who don't value punctuality/scheduling are the worst to work for imho.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when the unpleasant parts of this forum bleed into the good parts. I was enjoying Warmal's Ocarina Of Time LP but he's moved entirely to youtube as him and his wife are no longer comfortable on this forum, which is a shame as now I'll have to keep an eye on his youtube channel. I like being able to just check what threads have updated without having to keep track of a million youtube accounts, so whatever happened to Warmal is a real arse. I know this forum's a lot better than it used to be, but it still obviously has a ways to go.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Oct 14, 2017

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Related, and the cause of this being so common: it shouldn't be such a controversial thing to tell someone they stink. A lot of the times they just aren't aware of it, or think that nobody can smell it. If you tell them they will get pretty embarrassed (as they should), but will usually make an effort to fix the issue if you're nice about it.

Not always. I knew someone who used to stink really, really bad. Eye-wateringly bad. People literally couldn't sit next to him for any amount of time. After lots of hinting which was ignored, it got to the stage where people actually started telling him to his face "You smell really bad, you need to wash" and he just laughed it off thinking it was some sort of joke.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when the unpleasant parts of this forum bleed into the good parts. I was enjoying Warmal's Ocarina Of Time LP but he's moved entirely to youtube as him and his wife are no longer comfortable on this forum, which is a shame as now I'll have to keep an eye on his youtube channel. I like being able to just check what threads have updated without having to keep track of a million youtube accounts, so whatever happened to Warmal is a real arse. I know this forum's a lot better than it used to be, but it still obviously has a ways to go.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch an OoT LP in 2017 considering everyone has played it a million times over but did they give an idea of what caused it? I mean it's related to video games and a woman so I can guess

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My pet peeve used to be being forced to watch videos instead of being able to just read text in 1/8 the time to get whatever information I was looking for.

That pet peeve is now that not only are videos ubiquitous online, but those lovely videos overlaid with text explaining what's happening in the video are everywhere. I am not a goddam toddler.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would want to watch an OoT LP in 2017 considering everyone has played it a million times over but did they give an idea of what caused it? I mean it's related to video games and a woman so I can guess

The wife got mad over the 'trump lover' stupid newbie icon and sent lowtax an angry e-mail over it and demanding that he delete her account or w/e out of protest.

It is extremely stupid and the two LPs that the husband/wife duo were doing were both low effort garbage.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Agent355 posted:

LPs....garbage.

a little redundant

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Job ads that, when you click on them, make you read a gigantic wall of marketing text before you even get to the job description. Then the job description is like two or three lines.

Example: Project Manager - XYZ Corp.

XYZ Corp is a dynamic, cutting-edge market leader that provides world-class solutions to our clients.....(goes on for about five paragraphs like that).

Project Manager:

Manages projects and does other stuff.

Requirements:

3-5 years experience.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Job ads that, when you click on them, make you read a gigantic wall of marketing text before you even get to the job description. Then the job description is like two or three lines.

Example: Project Manager - XYZ Corp.

XYZ Corp is a dynamic, cutting-edge market leader that provides world-class solutions to our clients.....(goes on for about five paragraphs like that).

Project Manager:

Manages projects and does other stuff.

Requirements:

3-5 years experience.

I hate this a lot, especially looking at government jobs. Like you read through the job duties and are like "yeah I can do that" and then at the very end they have the "minimum PhD in (very specific thing) plus 3 years specialized experience". Start out with that! Stop wasting everyone's time.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Agent355 posted:

The wife got mad over the 'trump lover' stupid newbie icon and sent lowtax an angry e-mail over it and demanding that he delete her account or w/e out of protest.

lmao

i didn't like seeing it either but i just adblocked it instead of pitching a fit over it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

It is extremely stupid and the two LPs that the husband/wife duo were doing were both low effort garbage.

Oh I didn't realize that was related to them. Lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Agent355 posted:

There's been plenty of meltdowns on these forums, but that one seems especially petty :shepface:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
People who have already started playing Christmas music. Sorry, I do NOT need to hear Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and Jinglebells yet!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It drives me crazy when I'm trying to find a song by a musician or band and they have more popular songs that have similar themes or lyrics. I've been trying to find a specific song by the mountain goats where his alcoholic step dad chokes him out and he feels like he's drowning and there are like 5 songs that include drowning or alcoholic step dads or choking that are apparently more popular and I can't find it. It makes me feel like I'm going insane

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aesop Poprock posted:

It drives me crazy when I'm trying to find a song by a musician or band and they have more popular songs that have similar themes or lyrics. I've been trying to find a specific song by the mountain goats where his alcoholic step dad chokes him out and he feels like he's drowning and there are like 5 songs that include drowning or alcoholic step dads or choking that are apparently more popular and I can't find it. It makes me feel like I'm going insane

God drat is that ever a depressing band. I've held off on listening to them again for a long while now, as I've been struggling with emotional bullshit and TMG loving ruin me. I may have to get back into it, though. Can't go too far into the lighthearted direction...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember specific lines from the song but anything I put in just brings up other songs. So now I'm just going through every 2000s album on YouTube til I find it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Found it :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfugn-7kZEk

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Maybe if LPers went fragile little snowflakes that are triggered by a Trump av that they can make go away for $5

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the apartment management whatever said today was the last day they were gonna provide AC but it's supposed to be near 80 again later this week

I'm just sad as gently caress that it's hot as hell in october. I hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BattyKiara posted:

Sorry, I do NOT need to hear Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and Jinglebells yet!