Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Tanith First-and-Ugly

poo poo, top of page, uh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
For guard models you just need head swaps for most and maybe a female character or two. But they really need to make more of an effort with official art.

Like that picture of the grizzled Cadian lady that had a grenade launcher I think, can't find it on my phone right now but that's some of the best art I've seen in a long time and I'm disappointed the codex had nothing like it. She has a visibly female build without being sexualized.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phyresis posted:

This is a very ironic post. IIRC the Death Korps of Krieg cannot spare women for their ranks because of their breeding problem. You're probably a troll

Why is this fluff justification ok but space marines not??

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

chutche2 posted:

For guard models you just need head swaps for most and maybe a female character or two. But they really need to make more of an effort with official art.

Like that picture of the grizzled Cadian lady that had a grenade launcher I think, can't find it on my phone right now but that's some of the best art I've seen in a long time and I'm disappointed the codex had nothing like it. She has a visibly female build without being sexualized.

there needs to be more Guardswomen that are built like Zarya, tbqh.

ijyt posted:

I know you don't actually read the posts (as if i can point fingers here) known troll "ijyt," but not only was that not a "justification" by any means, i have also not mentioned Space Marines in any context because that's a whole nother can of worms.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ijyt posted:

I believe the reasoning is that because Krieg is a bombed out radioactive hellhole birthrates are abysmally low. On the other hand there's hints about cloning tech IIRC.

Personally, I choose to believe that they work along the same lines as the Krogan; if you're fertile you're on breeding duty. Everyone else - die for the Emperor, or die trying.

Phyresis posted:

there needs to be more Guardswomen that are built like Zarya, tbqh
Agreed. In the meantime, I'm hoping the coming Echers will fit in with the Catachans well enough.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 9, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Liquid Communism posted:

It says something about the hobby that there are many places to go if you want female models with their tits out, or posed like something out of Gor, but nobody but Victoria Lamb seems to be capable of doing decent female IG models.

This is why I don't particularly want women marines. I don't trust the motives of the vast majority of gamers who say it would be progressive or whatever. I think most of them just want wank-bait. Me personally, I'd rather not compromise the eunuch space monk nazi Robert Z'Dar aesthetic to appeal to Doctor Thunder.

I think the much better solution would be to redesign the SoB from the ground up, as they did with Dark Eldar, to make them a properly cool and interesting faction. Hell, give them the Eclesiarchy's secret knockoff geneseed if you want. That could be cool. Absolutely go nuts with women in the other factions as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Female space marines? Oh boy, I sure am glad we're reheating this discussion again!

Honestly what's upsetting is that the Imperium sets people on fire for their religious beliefs or generic background. They commit worldwide genocides frequently enough that they have a series of standardized bomb to do it. The Imperium will allow no culture but its own to exist anywhere, in the entire universe. The Imperium is defined by awfulness, intolerance, inflexibility, and slavish devotion to tradition for its own sake. It's the most ultraconservative dystopian fascist patriarchy imaginable.

They absolutely do not share any of our values, including inclusivity. They're not good guys. It's a place where you will be executed for tech-heresy for trying to develop a more efficient carburetor.

The argument was never "girls are icky and can't be tough spacemans!" It's that retconning in progressive values dilutes the Imperium's theme. I suppose a case could be made for making them superficially progressive to render atrocities more palatable, but that's a whole other thread right there.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

Oh boy, I sure am glad we're reheating this discussion again!

Honestly what's upsetting is that the Imperium sets people on fire for their religious beliefs or generic background. They commit worldwide genocides frequently enough that they have a series of standardized bomb to do it. The Imperium will allow no culture but its own to exist anywhere, in the entire universe. The Imperium is defined by awfulness, intolerance, inflexibility, and slavish devotion to tradition for its own sake. It's the most ultraconservative dystopian fascist patriarchy imaginable.

They absolutely do not share any of our values, including inclusivity. They're not good guys. It's a place where you will be executed for tech-heresy for trying to develop a more efficient carburetor.

The argument was never "girls are icky and can't be tough spacemans!" It's that retconning in progressive values dilutes the Imperium's theme. I suppose a case could be made for making them superficially progressive to render atrocities more palatable, but that's a whole other thread right there.

The Imperium doesn't need to have progressive values, it just needs to take the view that all humans are suited for the slaughter which is a very Imperial approach to things.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It already does, I edited to clarify I meant in the context of space marines.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm in the process of building a new mixed gender IG army, I'm using Victoria's male and female not-Praetorian heads on GWs plastic Cadians. My fluffy reasoning for them all having the same silhouette is that it only makes sense that all recruits would be pumped full of so many growth hormones during training that they would all come out with generally the same physique.

I'm fine with space marines remaining a sausage party, as much fun as it would be to see the grog tears, retconning lady marines seems like tokenism/pandering and also I really get the feeling that it's not women asking for them, it's extra creepy grogs. I'd much rather they put more focus on some female characters in the other factions, and make Sisters less sexualized. From my understanding of the fluff Sisters of Battle are much more common than Space Marines in the Imperium and they serve much more diverse roles than just "Make that guy bleed", which means they could tell more diverse stories than just "and then they killed them all".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Painted some Trueborn

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Very good very purple

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Women space marines isn't "progressive" it would just mean the imperium doesn't care what junk you have when they send you off to be tortured and fight until you die

Anyway the problem is that SM and CSM account for probably 75% of the game and having them kept as a boys only club and adding some token representation elsewhere doesn't accomplish much.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

chutche2 posted:

Women space marines isn't "progressive" it would just mean the imperium doesn't care what junk you have when they send you off to be tortured and fight until you die

Anyway the problem is that SM and CSM account for probably 75% of the game and having them kept as a boys only club and adding some token representation elsewhere doesn't accomplish much.

This is true, but the guard is big enough - and more importantly, supposed to be the representative sample or more normal humanity - that I think it wouldn't count as token.

That plus having women in the guard in a huge chunk of the secondary fluff would make it a natural starting point.

But, no new models at all with this codex update, so I guess they missed that window.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phyresis posted:

there needs to be more Guardswomen that are built like Zarya, tbqh.

I know you don't actually read the posts (as if i can point fingers here) known troll "ijyt," but not only was that not a "justification" by any means, i have also not mentioned Space Marines in any context because that's a whole nother can of worms.

Known white noise poster Phyresis, calls out trolls when he doesn't actually have a response.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

Yeah dark skin is legitimately harder to paint well and make pop for obvious reasons...
Bullshit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Ilor posted:

Bullshit.

He's saying it takes more skill than lighter skin, not that it can't be done.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

chutche2 posted:

He's saying it takes more skill than lighter skin, not that it can't be done.
That too is an argument with which I fundamentally disagree. I find darker skin-tones are actually easier than pasty honky-flesh. They're certainly easier to touch up if you gently caress up stuff like the eyes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
White skin: light flesh colour, wash with purple and flesh tones, add some beige to flesh and highlight.
Darker skin: start with a darker flesh colour, everything else same as above

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This model painted in Citadel Honky Flesh™

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Corrode posted:

Yeah dark skin is legitimately harder to paint well and make pop for obvious reasons
Absolutely not. It's just that the miniature hobby hivemind doesn't have the collective knowledge on how to do it. Like 95% of "how to paint skin tone tutorials are about white skin, like 4% are on dark elves, and maybe 1% are about painting black skin, which is never assumed to be "default" the way white is. It's the same way photography/film typically thinks black skin is difficult to capture because they try to do it the same as white skin.

Anyways, I just want IG and Marines to come with lady heads, and some non-pinup lady IG characters. You're not gonna have meaningfully different silhouettes with that much armor.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Deified Data posted:

This model painted in Citadel Honky Flesh™

Thin with cheap whiskey as flow improver!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How can you be giving PP any leeway when a prominent named Warmachine female character has a piece of wargear called 'Great Rack', HEH HEH NO GUYS WE'RE TOTALLY MEANING THE HORNS SHE HAS HEH HEH.
*dissolves into snickering pile, then primordial ooze*

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

play like u got a pair

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Phyresis posted:

play like u got a pair

Oh lawd, I'd forgotten that. It was incredibly cringy as a tagline even without it being discriminatory, I'm SO glad they ditched that whole shtick.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

That too is an argument with which I fundamentally disagree. I find darker skin-tones are actually easier than pasty honky-flesh. They're certainly easier to touch up if you gently caress up stuff like the eyes.

mango sentinel posted:

Absolutely not. It's just that the miniature hobby hivemind doesn't have the collective knowledge on how to do it. Like 95% of "how to paint skin tone tutorials are about white skin, like 4% are on dark elves, and maybe 1% are about painting black skin, which is never assumed to be "default" the way white is. It's the same way photography/film typically thinks black skin is difficult to capture because they try to do it the same as white skin.

Anyways, I just want IG and Marines to come with lady heads, and some non-pinup lady IG characters. You're not gonna have meaningfully different silhouettes with that much armor.

Maybe so, I just remember trying to do dark skin as a kid and it kinda disappearing into nothing. I've learned now and it looks great.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Ilor posted:

That's fair, I've never tried it because I learned to paint faces from PP and GW tutorials that only tell you how to paint white guys

I just don't think the way to rebut "painting this is hard" is with a picture of a model and no further commentary.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's a decent looking guide to dark flesh in the Stealer Cults painting book. I think there might be a video from the sainted Dunc as well.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

dexefiend posted:

Thin with cheap whiskey as flow improver!

Base coat: GW Wife Beater White
Wash: GW Sunburn Red (alternatively GW Trump Tangerine Shade)
Layer: Mix some GW Lager yellow and Bourbon Brown to taste
Highlight how fluff, fluff can never be changed because ragghhhhhhhh

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

the God-Empress of Womankind

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I painted all my old Catachans with dark skin because they live in a jungle planet.

Also painting dark skin was so much easier I found, if I messed it up people couldn't really tell

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I do remember in the Dark Heresy fluff it said that a lot of people in the imperium were sickly pasty white was because they lived in the hives and actually had never seen the sun

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Black_Nexus posted:

I painted all my old Catachans with dark skin because they live in a jungle planet.

Also painting dark skin was so much easier I found, if I messed it up people couldn't really tell
The old Dark Flesh paint was lovely, one of my favourites. Amazing coverage. It was my primary go-to for my Catachans.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Groetgaffel posted:

The old Dark Flesh paint was lovely, one of my favourites. Amazing coverage. It was my primary go-to for my Catachans.

It was, painting light coloured skin was awful.

Like one coat of that paint and the skin was ready to highlight.

Really it boils down to that I am lazy

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Wasn't there a nice tutorial recently for that Sigmarite war priest of whatever? Dude looked solid.

In other news, I finally started playing around with my Guard and have been building Leman Russes all day. I'll probably end up magnetising them, but, on the off chance I'm lazy, what's a good generalist build for the Tallarn doctrines?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Broken Record Talk posted:

what's a good generalist build for the Tallarn doctrines?

Get Around Behind Them! is an AMAZING tank order and you want to take as much advantage of it as you can. Bring a Tank Commander.

Battle cannon main turret, heavy bolter sponsons, hull-mounted lascannon is the generalist Russ. Tallarn can utilize Demolishers better than any other regiment: demolisher cannon, multi-melta sponsons, hull-mounted lascannon for vehicle & monster hunting duty.

Heavy flamer sponsons (and hull-mount) are good as well if you're planning on getting close in order to run them over.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Hi I like that space marines don't have any women because the whole universe is backwards, repressive and horrible in a thousand ways and that's just one of them.

And women don't get into the game not because of representation (although more couldn't hurt, absolutely) but because everyone that plays this game is a fuckin nerd that smells bad and doesn't know how to talk to people (me included)

Anyway that's my take, cya

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The greatest girl marines have already been made. Games Workshop will not be able to surpass this.

Someone commented a few pages back, but really as much as I would love to make the hobby more accessible to women, a large portion of it lies in the culture around gaming stores, and less about the models.

Basically stop gawking at them as soon as they walk in and take showers, you fat nerds.

I'm all for female head sculpts in IG. I think it would be awesome. In all seriousness, Victoria Miniatures makes amazing IG femalesculpts. Shame that GW doesn't allow them, since they're filling a void they've thus far refused to fill and have had ample opportunity to do so. It's not like the request for female IG models or female Space Marines, especially plastic sisters, is something that just cropped up over the last two years.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So reading my guard codex, what is up with unit organization?

A guard "regiment" is 3 companies, a command squad, and auxilliary ogryns and poo poo. That's not a regiment, that's a battalion. I was expecting a regiment to be thousands, this is a regiment of about 350 guardsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

So reading my guard codex, what is up with unit organization?

A guard "regiment" is 3 companies, a command squad, and auxilliary ogryns and poo poo. That's not a regiment, that's a battalion. I was expecting a regiment to be thousands, this is a regiment of about 350 guardsmen.

No one at Games Workshop has a clue how an actual military is organised.