Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Oh poo poo there's multiple endings? I got to credits and just assumed I was done, I've got some poo poo to check out whenever I pick up the console version

I think there's just the normal ending and a true ending if you get over 200 approval points or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DLC Inc posted:

this sums up most of my problems with Ruiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpBKCYzHZQ

Here I fight a boss that I've already fought like 3 loving times already through the game. It's tedious and has a pretty much 1-shot kill, requiring you go into the menu, fiddle with your respecs, and use the shield. It is borderline impossible to beat this dumb "boss" without it.

I have to respec yet again for the next boss, who has a pattern that is braindead and also has an almost 1-hit KO with a really lovely AOE lingering blast. It's not fun or engaging, it's just tedious. Then of course the moronic AI gets stuck so I take advantage to end the fight quickly.

Almost all the boss fights are bullet sponges and require a very specific skillset, making the skill system a slog to utilize properly. I found myself consistently needing to respec my poo poo, and until you get into a fight, you have no idea what the gently caress you need. I once wandered into an arena thinking my mindjack ability would be put to use, but found out "whoops it's 4 turrets, you can't hack these things, wish I had Shield on but now I'm gonna get hosed."

On top of that, almost all encounters in all the environments look and feel like the same poo poo. The only difference as you go onward is the health of minions or their lovely abilities i.e. to loving vanish (not teleport or teledash, just loving vanish and reappear). Sometimes there was an energy drain thing or maybe landmines but for the most part, I'm in what I assume is the final area and I'm burned out on the formula already.

Without even starting the video I know you're talking about the Mother fight.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

2 and BBS are the best Kingdom Hearts games.
Nomura is a huge Star Wars fan and Keyblades are basically lightsabers, they're a big deal in the first movie/game then it turns out a bunch of people had them in the past and don't really matter as much as the person using them.

BbS is amazing though my score for it is raised by at least a point solely because you get to hear Leonard Nimoy say "feckless neophyte"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

It reminds me of how nomura saw the les mis movie and wanted to change ff15 into a musical but the staff actually put their foot down on that one because it had already been delayed and in development for so long

I haven't played FF15 and don't really give a poo poo about the series anymore but a musical probably would have brought me back

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In general that BbS boils down to "Leonard Nimoy wants Mark Hamill loving dead" is the best.

raditts posted:

I haven't played FF15 and don't really give a poo poo about the series anymore but a musical probably would have brought me back
IIRC they actually did do a series of musical themed Final Fantasy games, though I never played any of them myself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did you know that David Cage's Detroit: Become Human is like Blade Runner but different because the robots are not evil!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna be sad hearing someone do a Nimoy voice in KH3. :(

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I really hate it when people see something slightly out of the ordinary and go "whoa, the guy who made this must have been on drugs! The unwillingness to embrace something with a more esoteric structure is why a huge amount of media is just bland + homogenised + safe.
Anyway videogame chat, I'm finally going to start Silent Hill 2 since I've been putting it off for so long; 'tis the season!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're right I should play something scary, back to Amnesia I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Silent Hill 2 is good and I hope you enjoy it.

Oh yeah so I've been playing The Evil Within some more and I'm at the RE1 Mansion for some reason.

Uh why is there a ghost that seems to randomly spawn and insta-kill me if he touches me? It's not even the insta-kill that bothers me so much as having to randomly stop exploring so I can run around enough to despawn him.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

It's gonna be sad hearing someone do a Nimoy voice in KH3. :(

I think they're just gonna de-age Xehanort so they don't have to find replacements for both Nimoy and Chikao Ohtsuka

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Oh yeah so I've been playing The Evil Within some more and I'm at the RE1 Mansion for some reason.

Uh why is there a ghost that seems to randomly spawn and insta-kill me if he touches me? It's not even the insta-kill that bothers me so much as having to randomly stop exploring so I can run around enough to despawn him.

There is no reason for anything in TEW. The whole setup is to throw you in ridiculous horror scenarios.

Anyway he only spawns once per wing so when the screen flashes duck in the nearest cupboard. This is the only level this guy appears like this.

And a little tip, the next chapter is super long and hard. There's a chase sequence with an old enemy and while they can be killed you shouldn't bother.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

I think there's just the normal ending and a true ending if you get over 200 approval points or whatever.

There's 3 endings

The bad ending which is like less then 75 reputation

The normal ending which is 75 to 199 reputation

The true ending which is 200+ reputation

The game practically shits out reputation so it's really really really loving hard to get the bad end unless you're actively working for it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 9, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Raxivace posted:

it's because TEW is a loving mess of concepts and ideas, a great many of them bad

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I usually like the concept behind Boundary Break but the new Silent Hill 2 episode really gives me that "Here is exactly how the magician does their tricks now the magic is ruined for you." feeling you get sometimes when watching some "Behind the Scenes" thing.

Of note is that the sound filter and fog are the secret sauce to basically everything in the game looking "Good" to the point that if you remove those things you get what are possibly the saddest looking water textures ever, which explains a lot about why the HD version of Silent Hill 2 turned out as bad as it did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

There is no reason for anything in TEW. The whole setup is to throw you in ridiculous horror scenarios.

Anyway he only spawns once per wing so when the screen flashes duck in the nearest cupboard. This is the only level this guy appears like this.

And a little tip, the next chapter is super long and hard. There's a chase sequence with an old enemy and while they can be killed you shouldn't bother.
...Oh yeah, you can hide in stuff in this game, can't you. Well I'll just do that then.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr.Kattykat posted:

I really hate it when people see something slightly out of the ordinary and go "whoa, the guy who made this must have been on drugs! The unwillingness to embrace something with a more esoteric structure is why a huge amount of media is just bland + homogenised + safe.
Anyway videogame chat, I'm finally going to start Silent Hill 2 since I've been putting it off for so long; 'tis the season!

Silent Hill 2 is awesome

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Of note is that the sound filter and fog are the secret sauce to basically everything in the game looking "Good" to the point that if you remove those things you get what are possibly the saddest looking water textures ever, which explains a lot about why the HD version of Silent Hill 2 turned out as bad as it did.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the look of a game is a combination of everything used to create it and most games would look like poo poo if you took out major elements of their presentation. See also: the PC port of Resident Evil 4, or that glitch where a certain spot in Breath of the Wild disables the cel shader.

SH2 is the best horror game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's wrong with the PC port of RE4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The PC port seemed good to me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the original pc port of resident evil 4 launched during that era of capcom ports that were incredible disasters (see also: devil may cry 3), and debuted without the lighting engine until they patched the thing to enable it

the years later HD PC port of it turned out much better but it did have some chicanery going on with the unlocked framerate

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original PC port also kept (I believe) PS2 button prompts in so if you're playing on a keyboard you're hosed when an instant death QTE comes at you unless you know which action corresponds to a controller's button.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing, the look of a game is a combination of everything used to create it and most games would look like poo poo if you took out major elements of their presentation. See also: the PC port of Resident Evil 4, or that glitch where a certain spot in Breath of the Wild disables the cel shader.

yea its like soda tasting like poo poo when the gas is gone, you remove one element and the whole thing breaks down

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm assuming there are nude leon mods which would make the PC port of RE4 the definitive edition

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I didn't even realize there was a PC port before the HD release lol. Still a shame about DMC3

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

What's wrong with the PC port of RE4
Without looking up anything about it whatsoever: it's not the Wii version.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

haveblue posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. The HD version of Silent Hill 2 was advertised as being "Brought up to speed with modern games"-graphics wise and ended up showing off things we were never meant to be shown, like the stanky lake water.

It's like how in the 360 generation a bunch of 2D game ports/revisions were advertised as getting all new graphics that would be definitive way to play them and they'd end up looking worse by looking better.

Sometimes you need a fuzzy CRT.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Sorry fellas, the Zeebo port of RE4 is the definitive version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBh-vBFeegs

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. The HD version of Silent Hill 2 was advertised as being "Brought up to speed with modern games"-graphics wise and ended up showing off things we were never meant to be shown, like the stanky lake water.

It's like how in the 360 generation a bunch of 2D game ports/revisions were advertised as getting all new graphics that would be definitive way to play them and they'd end up looking worse by looking better.

Sometimes you need a fuzzy CRT.
Yeah those games were made with those limitations in mind. They're worked into the aesthetic.

It's like when people try to colorize an old black and white film. The lack of color wasn't somehow a mistake on the filmmaker's part.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm hard on Silent Hill 2 for being piss easy with not-scary and ineffective monsters. Someone 12 years ago must've heard my future pleas and retroactively rolled back everything in Silent Hill 3. Melee weapons don't stunlock, enemies are large enough to block your path, and the game throws in enemy filled "gotcha!" rooms with nothing important in them to tease you (unless a harder difficult tosses a tchotchke in there). I loving hate the ground crawly guys that knock you down, and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the beef jerky to distract them but fuuuuck if I'm going through that effort. I've only got two areas left and a dozen plus health drinks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

was re4 pc the one with the frame rate glitch or something that gave you an inventory full of eggs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

He can do this now where he couldn't before because you're in the place where his memories are the strongest and therefore he has the most control. The hunting-you-part is poorly implemented and The Evil Within really could have used less instant kill enemies.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The original Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie but 2049... I dunno, just wasn't feeling it. I think the script has a lot of pacing problems and many characters, particularly the female leads are very underwritten. When we were leaving the theater my wife remarked "this was a movie for dudes" and I was inclined to agree. I'm not surprised to hear the movie isn't doing well with any demographic that isn't males over the age of 30.

Yeah, the original Blade Runner is my girlfriend's favorite movie but she was pretty lukewarm on 2049 and mentioned the "movie for dudes" issue. I wonder how much the initial positive reaction will stand the test of time.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

al-azad posted:

I'm hard on Silent Hill 2 for being piss easy with not-scary and ineffective monsters. Someone 12 years ago must've heard my future pleas and retroactively rolled back everything in Silent Hill 3. Melee weapons don't stunlock, enemies are large enough to block your path, and the game throws in enemy filled "gotcha!" rooms with nothing important in them to tease you (unless a harder difficult tosses a tchotchke in there). I loving hate the ground crawly guys that knock you down, and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the beef jerky to distract them but fuuuuck if I'm going through that effort. I've only got two areas left and a dozen plus health drinks.

Yes, they did. I was so surprised a few years ago at how good SH3 was. Everyone always talks about SH2 but same as you, I didn't find that scary because it was too easy. All of the enemies were a pain in SH3 (which is good) and I was always on the verge of running out of ammo and health.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I usually like the concept behind Boundary Break but the new Silent Hill 2 episode really gives me that "Here is exactly how the magician does their tricks now the magic is ruined for you." feeling you get sometimes when watching some "Behind the Scenes" thing.

DigitalFoundry has an episode all about the tech behind Silent Hill 2, and it was apparently a unique quirk of the PS2's architecture that made the iconic fog layer possible. Which is why all subsequent remasters and ports fail to capture the grainy eeriness of the original.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

was re4 pc the one with the frame rate glitch or something that gave you an inventory full of eggs

that was the second one yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the original Blade Runner is my girlfriend's favorite movie but she was pretty lukewarm on 2049 and mentioned the "movie for dudes" issue. I wonder how much the initial positive reaction will stand the test of time.

I am trying to avoid any information on the film before I see it but this sounds pretty disappointing. Sicario and Arrival were really good about this kind of stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

some guy on the bus posted:

Yes, they did. I was so surprised a few years ago at how good SH3 was. Everyone always talks about SH2 but same as you, I didn't find that scary because it was too easy. All of the enemies were a pain in SH3 (which is good) and I was always on the verge of running out of ammo and health.
It's been over a decade since I played SH1-3, but my enduring memory of SH3 is that it is focuses an extraordinary amount on the cult storyline which even back then I thought was one of the lamest parts of the franchise.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

We're going to watch the sci fi movie for dudes with my gf and then we can balance it out and go for a movie targeted towards women a few days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FirstAidKite posted:

Did xenosaga 2 and 3 and the mobile games go back and retcon more or less every major plot point of xenosaga 1 :P
Xenosaga 3 pretty much retconned both prequels with its "this is how it really happened" way of storytelling.

Xenosaga 2 was unbalanced as hell even with having every character port over 80 levels of points from the save transfer and assigning roles for each character. I spent a few hours just leveling them to 30-40 and doing the dream dungeons. MOMO still dies in one hit from early game enemies that are debuffed. This is a second playthrough and knew what to expect. I quit the game in disgust since X3 would retcon everything.

• Locked thread