Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Why do these hacks always focus on Chicago, specifically? Aside from the flaccid "gotcha" that it's in a blue state, what point are they trying to make?

"Hah, look, a bunch of people were killed by guns in this other place therefore... guns are still good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

Why do you seem so convinced that supporting BASIC GODDAMN RIGHTS before it magically reached a tipping point in public support would've cost elections, instead of, I dunno, galvanizing people that much sooner by showing that both parties aren't the same?

Because in 2004 the GOP arranged a bunch of anti-gay marriage referendums and it turns out that the only people galvanzied were right-wingers who would crawl over broken glass to vote against gay marriage (and while they were there, John Kerry and any other Democrats)? Because loving California couldn't even pass a proposition allowing gay marriage? Because it wasn't until he mid 2010s that liberal bastions like Massachusetts and Maryland could pass referendums supporting gay marriage?

Politicians supporting gay marriage (as opposed to separate-but-equal "civil unions") were dead meat in this country before 2010, and they might still be dead meat if the Supreme Court hadn't stepped in to kill the debate by making it settled law- witness Roy "I stopped gay marriage in my state" Moore winnin the GOP nomination for the AL Senate.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Why do these hacks always focus on Chicago, specifically? Aside from the flaccid "gotcha" that it's in a blue state, what point are they trying to make?

"Hah, look, a bunch of people were killed by guns in this other place therefore... guns are still good?"

Chicago has gun laws, but also gun violence. Therefore gun laws are totally ineffective.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Arthur Crackpot posted:

There's a few factors. Racism is a big one; calling Chicago violent or corrupt is a dog whistle for calling black people violent or corrupt. Obama started his political career in Chicago so that's a bonus for racists. It's also a matter of convenience; Chicago doesn't have the highest murder rate in America, but it's the biggest city with a high murder rate so the numbers are larger and there's always some recent murders to bring up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

There's a few factors. Racism is a big one; calling Chicago violent or corrupt is a dog whistle for calling black people violent or corrupt. Obama started his political career in Chicago so that's a bonus for racists. It's also a matter of convenience; Chicago doesn't have the highest murder rate in America, but it's the biggest city with a high murder rate so the numbers are larger and there's always some recent murders to bring up.

Plus I believe there are some issues with guns being restricted in Chicago, while Indiana has no problem selling them on the other side of the boarder.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, Drunky McTwoWeekDelay, the guy on the right later apologized for upstaging his teammates. Can't wait for the correction that'll...never come, of course.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Roland Jones posted:

It's also easy to make and support compromises when it's not your rights that are being compromised on.

For instance, how all the loving gay assholes coopted "LGBT" to mean "gays and lesbians only" then threw the rest of us under a bus the moment the government gave them their We Acknowledge You Are loving papers.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

You know, almost no nukes would be going off in the Southern Hemisphere in the event of nuclear war, so the resulting nuclear winter wouldn't affect Australia anywhere near as badly as the nations to the north. :tinfoil:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Iron Crowned posted:

Plus I believe there are some issues with guns being restricted in Chicago, while Indiana has no problem selling them on the other side of the boarder.

Reminds me of Indian Reservations that have declared themselves dry, only for a little town to spring up on the very edge of the other side of the border which exists entirely to sell booze to Indians.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/05/11/527832897/with-alcoholism-rampant-on-nearby-reservation-nebraska-shuts-towns-liquor-stores

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Oh no, reefer madness!! AND my guns!!!

(Although "Puff Pieces" is inspired. I like to imagine it's the only newspaper in town that burns nice and controlled.)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Keiya posted:

For instance, how all the loving gay assholes coopted "LGBT" to mean "gays and lesbians only" then threw the rest of us under a bus the moment the government gave them their We Acknowledge You Are loving papers.

A proud American tradition of a minority turning into honorary WASPs and instantly making GBS threads on everyone who isn't.

<-edit never mind

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Because the irony of "Our toughest gun laws don't stop enough crime" :smug: does not compute to them.

Clearly the solution is not to make better rules. It's to have no rules. That will stop the thugs from doing crime.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

When people try to make the "Blacks Criminals shoot more black people!", I ask them why they don't expect the police to be held to a higher moral standard than the criminals they're supposed to stop.

I have yet to get an answer that isn't just them trying to change the subject.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

The North Korean situation remains dire. Kim Jong-un seems determined to provoke a war. If he fires a ballistic missile toward our coast it could very well trigger one. After all, we know he has the nuclear technology and has probably achieved the miniaturization necessary to mount a warhead on a long-range missile. His shrill saber rattling is now backed with a very real and dangerous threat.

Our previous presidents seemed content to kick the North Korea problem down the road. Their efforts at diplomacy proved over and over again that appeasement does not work. Clinton sent Jimmy Carter to negotiate a peace agreement with Kim Jong-il in 1994. We gave his regime $5 billion in aid and two nuclear reactors in exchange for their promise to not develop nuclear weapons. The sanctimonious Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts. (Obama also won the Peace Prize for nothing more than being the first African-American president, so we know that award has become meaningless). A few years later the North Koreans smugly admitted they immediately violated the agreement and continued their nuclear weapons development, yet even now the old fossil that is Carter still insists diplomacy will work.

Thanks to boobs like Obama and Jimmy Carter, President Trump doesn’t have many options. We can continue to ignore the saber rattling, which will probably lead to more nuclear testing and threats from North Korea. Apparently Kim Jong-Un wants to go out in a blaze of glory. He doesn’t want to end up like Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein. He deserves to be swatted like a fly, but if Trump does that, millions will most likely die.

Don’t blame Trump. Blame Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Obama.

—Ben Garrison

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Tinsley's Courage: Liquid

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

quote:

Call me crazy, but it feels like there's a few things just mysteriously missing here...

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Trogdos! posted:

quote:

So is he admitting Trump is about to do something really loving stupid and is trying to preempt by "IT WAS OBAMAS FAULT"?

Please go back on vacation. Forever. In a hole.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zemyla posted:

You know, almost no nukes would be going off in the Southern Hemisphere in the event of nuclear war, so the resulting nuclear winter wouldn't affect Australia anywhere near as badly as the nations to the north. :tinfoil:

well it's a good job you don't live near here, then.

:smithicide:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Whatever happened to Hillary is the real warmo-- ah gently caress I don't care anymore. I'm too tired for Garrison today.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bombadilillo posted:

Because the irony of "Our toughest gun laws don't stop enough crime" :smug: does not compute to them.

Clearly the solution is not to make better rules. It's to have no rules. That will stop the thugs from doing crime.

A murder rate in Chicago means that guns just naturally happen somehow. Never mind that the urban gun crime rates in other countries are massively different. Guns just somehow spring out of the ether.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

quote:

What the gently caress are you doing back you poo poo hack, it was nice without you here

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Arthur Crackpot posted:

It seems like a straight forward criticism of those who purport to decry gun violence but only seem to speak up about it when there are sensational events, and the cartoon certainly doesn't have any other hidden meaning or subtext. But I can't spend more time talking about it right now, my dog out is freaking out for some reason and I need to let him out.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kim Jong-un is annoying, but ultimately harmless.

A Good Cartoon?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

You loving piece of poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Noice.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Stiglich got his talking points mixed up, you're supposed to use "What about black on black crime?" in response to police or George Zimmerman-like vigilante shootings. Mass shootings get "People kill people" and "If only someone in the crowd had a gun".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Stiglich got his talking points mixed up, you're supposed to use "What about black on black crime?" in response to police or George Zimmerman-like vigilante shootings. Mass shootings get "People kill people" and "If only someone in the crowd had a gun".

Don't forget "stop politicizing this tragedy!"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

It's only been two weeks? Sigh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ularg posted:

So is he admitting Trump is about to do something really loving stupid and is trying to preempt by "IT WAS OBAMAS FAULT"?

Garrison literally cannot admit that Trump can do anything wrong, even in the face of the moron openly threatening nuclear armageddon.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

AnoHito posted:

Call me crazy, but it feels like there's a few things just mysteriously missing here...

Reagan, Bush 1, and Bush 2 apparently never existed and certainly didn't have a chance to work on the North Korea problem.

The "ignore them and hope they get less crazy" strategy has worked pretty well for most other Communist countries, anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jedit posted:

Garrison literally cannot admit that Trump can do anything wrong, even in the face of the moron openly threatening nuclear armageddon.

you say it like he's psychologically compelled to do so - that would be at least sympathetic. garrison can't say anything bad about trump because his frothingly insane audience would defund him - empathizing his rank cowardice is important to understand him

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

Thanks to boobs like Obama and Jimmy Carter, President Trump doesn’t have many options. We can continue to ignore the saber rattling, which will probably lead to more nuclear testing and threats from North Korea. Apparently Kim Jong-Un wants to go out in a blaze of glory. He doesn’t want to end up like Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein. He deserves to be swatted like a fly, but if Trump does that, millions will most likely die.

Garrison is SO CLOSE to understanding that North Korea's nuclear program is meant as a deterrent to US aggression.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

The phone is literally the only thing visible on his desk. So apparently even Garrison admits that Trump does nothing at his job other than play with Twitter on his phone.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
While I dont deny the blatant tendency of the Nobel Prize committee to hand out the Peace Prize as a doggie treat to anyone who opposes US Republican policy, Nobel's will is clear that it's to be awarded for activities during the past year and that's what qualified Carter to receive it, in 2002 and not 1995

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ularg posted:

I'd like to ask anyone who feels offended by kneeling for the anthem just how fragile their patriotism and love for this country is. If they were as America and Freedom loving as they say they are then they shouldn't care if a flag was burned right in front of them. We are supposed to be more than a flag or anthem and most of these fuckers spent the entirety of 2016 talking about how America is bad and needs to become great again.

loving snowflakes. :ironicat:

It’s exactly the same as people who want prayer in schools, manger scenes on public grounds, etc. Their faith isn’t strong enough to sustain itself without constant external reinforcement.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, what kind of cross-eyed loser butthead stinky poo poo jerkwad who sucks and is bad would dare politicize a shooting.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

D.N. Nation posted:

Yeah, what kind of cross-eyed loser butthead stinky poo poo jerkwad who sucks and is bad would dare politicize a shooting.

I had to check the label on these in case it was meant to be Paddock. These old bearded white psychopaths all look the same, right?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I wonder why he listed things from SOME MAGAZINE
instead of OL' RELIABLE :umberto:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Is Donald supposed to look like a big tough alpha male here? It looks more like he's trying not to cry about being an ineffective man-bitch. You're slipping, Garrison.

• Locked thread