Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Wrong thread and a snipe drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

"Decrease income - if you make less money, you owe less tax!" Thanks. I am crying now. This really is the world we live in

I observed a grip training course for new union members the other day for reasons, and one of the instructors told the students they should only work three days a week because on the fourth and fifth days you're "basically working for free because it all goes to taxes". It took all my willpower not to smack my drat head hard enough to cave in my own skull because not only is that stupid as gently caress, but telling a key grip or production manager you're only available 3 days a week is a good way to ensure you never get hired. Hope you like sitting by the phone waiting for day calls for the rest of your life!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dillbag posted:

I observed a grip training course for new union members the other day for reasons, and one of the instructors told the students they should only work three days a week because on the fourth and fifth days you're "basically working for free because it all goes to taxes". It took all my willpower not to smack my drat head hard enough to cave in my own skull because not only is that stupid as gently caress, but telling a key grip or production manager you're only available 3 days a week is a good way to ensure you never get hired. Hope you like sitting by the phone waiting for day calls for the rest of your life!

I loved working production because there were tons of people like this, overhires coming in with only 2 days of availability made for great paychecks for me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hello, IRS?

Based on my quarterly estimated tax, I owe an effective rate of 30% so I have divided my work week up 70/30; you can have all the money I make after 12pm on Thursday and I will keep the rest. Also I will stop working at noon on Thursday so I will pay you zero dollars in tax. Toodles!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sure you do, guy. Sure you do.

In college I worked at a department store, and a guy there who was in his late 50's would always brag about how much money he was making on the stock market, and that he was pretty much just doing this job for fun.

He also would trot out that old line of "if you work overtime, you end up earning less!" and "I need to keep my hours down so I don't get bumped up to the next tax bracket".

I'm willing to bet that 100% of people who drive a forklift in a warehouse do it because they need the money, not for fun.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If he really liked driving a forklift and had good money, wouldn't he buy a forklift (rough terrain) for his own personal enjoyment at home?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

sparkmaster posted:

If he really liked driving a forklift and had good money, wouldn't he buy a forklift (rough terrain) for his own personal enjoyment at home?

Why pay for a forklift, when someone else will pay you to use theirs?

(And I'm completely not lying about my solid gold house or that my uncle works at Nintendo.)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Pass up overtime because you value time outside of work, sanity, family, etc. Don't do it because you seriously think you'll somehow end up making less money. I work one of those govt jobs where you can double your annual income from overtime alone if you are willing to do it, and there's no shortage of people that take it on in spite of paying marginally more in taxes.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

canyoneer posted:

In college I worked at a department store, and a guy there who was in his late 50's would always brag about how much money he was making on the stock market, and that he was pretty much just doing this job for fun.

He also would trot out that old line of "if you work overtime, you end up earning less!" and "I need to keep my hours down so I don't get bumped up to the next tax bracket".

I'm willing to bet that 100% of people who drive a forklift in a warehouse do it because they need the money, not for fun.

What's the bet his "other businesses" are MLM schemes he bought into?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

canyoneer posted:

I believe the part where he says he has no friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sparkmaster posted:

I'm reminded of the German forklift operator going home to play Forklift Simulator on his computer.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What's the bet his "other businesses" are MLM schemes he bought into?

Fil5000 posted:

I believe the part where he says he has no friends.

The first would certainly lead to the second.

I would also hazard the guess "craptocurrency """"""trader""""""" who tried shilling to his friends and acquaintances one too many times.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of the German forklift operator going home to play Forklift Simulator on his computer.

Like how I main Medic and Mercy in TF2 and Overwatch? I just can't get enough. :shepicide:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I do logistics all day, come home and spend the evening playing Railroad Tycoon.

It's me, I'm the goon.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Hello, IRS?

Based on my quarterly estimated tax, I owe an effective rate of 30% so I have divided my work week up 70/30; you can have all the money I make after 12pm on Thursday and I will keep the rest. Also I will stop working at noon on Thursday so I will pay you zero dollars in tax. Toodles!

Just imagine if one of these types got hit with the AMT

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FrozenVent posted:

I do logistics all day, come home and spend the evening playing Railroad Tycoon.

It's me, I'm the goon.

I work in a sewage treatment facility and I post here a lot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

I work in a sewage treatment facility and I post here a lot.

is this you baloogan

e: if you're not baloogan you should systematically turn into baloogan

get drunker
more ducks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I work as a programmer and then come home and ritually sacrifice goats to the ancient gods. Typical!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tax guy makes about 94k per year and is almost certainly setting his withholdings wrong.

If he takes no deductions or credits and contributes $0 to a 401k or any pre-tax benefit, then his total tax burden shouldn't be any higher than about 26% unless he has some kind of local wage tax. A random calculator says that, excluding state tax, he should be no higher than 21% if all he took was the standard deduction and exemptions.

He is either not contributing to any pre-tax benefit plan or is going to get a refund with an income of 94k.

Either way is BWM.

This is all on top of the BWM of not realizing that Social Security and Medicare are separate taxes until you are 30.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 9, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

There was a guy at my last job who was rich and I guess worked just to provide benefits for his large family or for professional satisfaction. The guy was an amateur body building in his spare time and last year got a really tough Juniper cert. It was so weird and somewhat annoying to be in the same room with a guy with that much motivation.

The thing is, he never talked about it. Other people doing internet sleuthing figured out most of the details (mainly because they wanted to know how he drove a really fancy car on a Security Engineer's salary). He obviously felt no need to overcompensate or impress patsy nerds as he walked by with biceps the size of newborn babies. So yeah, forklift guy is lying - not because no one with money would drive a forklift, but because they wouldn't feel a need to tell random strangers for internet bonus points.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We had this one substitute teacher in highschool who was apparently a regular teacher who got a hot tip about the dot com bubble from a friend and made millions and now just substitute teacher'd when he was bored. We got to see his fancy rich guy car which was fun.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Wafer posted:

mainly because they wanted to know how he drove a really fancy car on a Security Engineer's salary)
Er... because he is earning a security engineer's salary? Seems plenty enough.

And I think people don't really like to talk about their money in real life. This is simply something that most people don't talk about. It is awkward either way, whether you have less/more than your friend.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I've noticed that people from the coasts like to make vague humblebrag lies about how much money they make (specifically LA/Boston), which was weird to see when I moved from the midwest. I like to ask them specifics when they do it and it's always a funny reaction.

<guy> I'd have to make like.... 250k in New York to have the same lifestyle i have here
<me> oh really how much do you make here?
<guy> oh um well um hmmm mumble mumble mumble

Like why bring it up in the first place then, and it turns out the guy makes like $70k so he's also stupid.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Droo posted:

I've noticed that people from the coasts like to make vague humblebrag lies about how much money they make (specifically LA/Boston), which was weird to see when I moved from the midwest. I like to ask them specifics when they do it and it's always a funny reaction.

<guy> I'd have to make like.... 250k in New York to have the same lifestyle i have here
<me> oh really how much do you make here?
<guy> oh um well um hmmm mumble mumble mumble

Like why bring it up in the first place then, and it turns out the guy makes like $70k so he's also stupid.
Who are these people to you? Friends? Strangers? What, they just go around talking about their salaries to everyone???

So odd...

Folly
May 26, 2010
Looks like the it would be about $100k in the midwest to cost $250k in Manhattan. (I'm sure if someone is making that argument, they'd choose the most expensive example.)

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator/compare/manhattan-vs-new-york-manhattan

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

howdoesishotweb posted:

Just imagine if one of these types got hit with the AMT

I can barely understand my own AMT obligations and I can see myself a pretty tax sophisticated individual. The AMT, which is a complicated second distinct tax preparation that does not accomplish the thing it was originally established to do, is a pretty legitimate thing to complain about as far as overall US tax system is concerned.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

John Smith posted:

Who are these people to you? Friends? Strangers? What, they just go around talking about their salaries to everyone???

I live in Vegas, I see it in random people at poker tables, group acquaintances who are locals, tourists at gaming tables, pretty much all over. At this point I think it's mainly just a thing that everyone from LA does as some kind of personal brand promotion or something, I dunno.

I don't even think it's weird to talk plainly about money with your peer group as an adult and I am still surprised by what people say.

Someone lost like a $300 pot at $1/$2 poker one day because he did something stupid and he loudly proclaimed I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO USE SOME MONEY FROM MY BROKERAGE ACCOUNT TO BUY IN AGAIN, ONLY 600 THOUSAND MORE IN THERE TO WORK WITH SO THIS POT IS CHUMP CHANGE ANYWAY.

Jan 11, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

My mom came over from korea w/ x millions in cash to buy a home in the sf bay area
Me and my sister successfully convinced her out of it by just literally telling her every time we met "THIS IS A loving STUPID IDEA BUY A REIT FUND JESUS"

She bought a house
in korea

Depending upon the overall picture of your family's finances, it actually could make a lot of sense to diversify your portfolio out of Korea and the Korean Won by purchasing real estate in other countries. Particularly if you stand to inherit her assets, it would make a lot of sense to understand Korean tax and estate law before you talked her out of doing that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Depending upon the overall picture of your family's finances, it actually could make a lot of sense to diversify your portfolio out of Korea and the Korean Won by purchasing real estate in other countries. Particularly if you stand to inherit her assets, it would make a lot of sense to understand Korean tax and estate law before you talked her out of doing that.

that's why we told her to buy a reit fund
she won't leverage so she can't make money in real estate. fine! get someone else to leverage

she doesn't want to just keep principal, she wants to make money

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/74wq5e/help_i_thought_i_was_spending_all_my_money_on/

quote:

I've seen so many posts about people spending way too much on food from eating out, and how to save money by meal prepping. I'm going to be honest, I don't really have a budget. I'm a full time student and a full time computer technician making 13/hr. I still live at home and bring home about 1600 a month.
My bills include:
Car insurance: 103$ (full coverage)
Phone bill: 84 (Verizon, 5g single data plan)
Car payment: 169$ (2017 civic, 3 year lease)
Gas: 80$ (pretty high since I drive 60miles everyday to go to and from work)
And then I give myself 200$ a month, or 50$,.. or just 10$ every day to spend my lunch break.
And then here comes the fucky part, I don't budget past that, I just think "don't spend too much" I don't give myself a discretionary item budget. If I need shampoo, or shoes, or work clothes, I just go buy it.. well I looked at my banking statements, and excluding necessity items and bills, I SPENT 800$ THIS MONTH on poo poo that I didn't need. But I spent 64$ on food in 2 weeks.
Examples: Hair highlight, color, cut (300$)
Renaissance festival (160$)
Dave and busters (64$)
Skin care products from r/skincareaddiction (70$)
New shoes ( not a nessecity, they were cute, 45$)
Tinder plus ( lol, 10$)
High waisted pants that make my butt look SO GOOD (90$)
And then more smaller stuff. How can I limit this bullshit spending I know I'm not gonna do a big splurge on my hair for awhile but I'm still in the habit of " I make enough, it's fine to splurge"
But I splurge like every fking week.
One thing I know that DOESN'T work is having cash and paying for everything with cash instead of card because you're "emotionally attached " to the money.. I'm not. I hate carrying cash and try to get rid of it asap. The thing I care about the most is the number I see when I log onto my banking, if I spend cash I think "this isn't going to make that number go down "
I have a checking and a savings so I moved everything besides 700~ $ into my savings. With having a car payment I know my credit is slowing rising so I can probably successfully apply for a credit card here in a few months (I've tried for one 2x in the past) and I feel like that will help me see the giant total of spending each month, but other than that, I don't know how to make myself stop.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't know if that's really BWM. They're pretty self-aware of the problem and actively trying to fix it. They just don't make a lot of money to begin with, which compounds the issue further. To top it off they sound early-20's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Droo posted:

I live in Vegas, I see it in random people at poker tables, group acquaintances who are locals, tourists at gaming tables, pretty much all over. At this point I think it's mainly just a thing that everyone from LA does as some kind of personal brand promotion or something, I dunno.

I don't even think it's weird to talk plainly about money with your peer group as an adult and I am still surprised by what people say.

Someone lost like a $300 pot at $1/$2 poker one day because he did something stupid and he loudly proclaimed I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO USE SOME MONEY FROM MY BROKERAGE ACCOUNT TO BUY IN AGAIN, ONLY 600 THOUSAND MORE IN THERE TO WORK WITH SO THIS POT IS CHUMP CHANGE ANYWAY.

That sounds like them trying to work the table or convince themselves that their losses didn't matter. Kind of like a guy getting shot down at a bar and telling everyone he didn't want to go out with that skank anyway.

Gambling is so weird. The few times I've done it, I've lasted half a hour and then decided losing isn't cool and left. Obviously I need to link my extremely large brokerage account so next time I can assure everyone the losses are chump change and I don't regret losing all my chips standing on a 15.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't know if that's really BWM. They're pretty self-aware of the problem and actively trying to fix it. They just don't make a lot of money to begin with, which compounds the issue further. To top it off they sound early-20's.

14k miles a year commuting to work on a leased car (a civic no less) is going to be bwm when they try to turn it in and are "allowed" to buy it back for effectively the cost when it was new.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gambling is so weird. The few times I've done it, I've lasted half a hour and then decided losing isn't cool and left. Obviously I need to link my extremely large brokerage account so next time I can assure everyone the losses are chump change and I don't regret losing all my chips standing on a 15.

I don't see why gambling is fun. It sounds about as fun as getting robbed at a nightclub. Why not just go to a nightclub?

Jan 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't know spending $300 on a haircut when you make minimum wage or little more seems pretty BWM. I can sympathize with the human desire to just enjoy things and spend a little bit of money on whatever you feel like without studiously budging for every nickel of your make ends meet life, though.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Droo posted:

Oh... Vegas

Yea, well. First thing is that it is Vegas, so people aren't behaving normally. Second thing is that these gamblers are dumb anyway. Almost by definition, unless they are card counters or raking in the comps. I wouldn't really consider it a representative sample. But appreciate your sharing though. :)

P.S. I totally believe in the concept of the rational gambler who is willing to pay for a tiny thrill and gambles responsibly. I just don't think this is most gamblers.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I don't know spending $300 on a haircut when you make minimum wage or little more seems pretty BWM. I can sympathize with the human desire to just enjoy things and spend a little bit of money on whatever you feel like without studiously budging for every nickel of your make ends meet life, though.
Yeah but early 20's making non-life-ending money decisions is pretty "news at 11" territory.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you play the penny machines at the Wynn and tip the waitress $1 a drink she will bring you more $7 drinks then you will want to drink for free. It is hard to lose $10 a penny at a time. This is my rational gambling story. BWC, bad with calories.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Elephanthead posted:

If you play the penny machines at the Wynn and tip the waitress $1 a drink she will bring you more $7 drinks then you will want to drink for free. It is hard to lose $10 a penny at a time. This is my rational gambling story. BWC, bad with calories.

if you think the drinks cost $7 to the casino you are the one who is bwm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't see why gambling is fun. It sounds about as fun as getting robbed at a nightclub. Why not just go to a nightclub?

I would recommend bingo with the old ladies. Buy one of those dabbers too. Bingo rules.