Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Whoever wrote this thinks I Am Sestuna is good. So no, it probably won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Whoa. Wait.

Macs have right click now???

Macs have always had right click; click the trackpad or mouse with two fingers. Or just plug in any normal mouse.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Macs have always had right click; click the trackpad or mouse with two fingers. Or just plug in any normal mouse.

It's also a setting you can just make happen even with the stock one-button mouse:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

They didn't for a long, long, long time. But that was a long time ago itself.

Internet Kraken posted:

Whoever wrote this thinks I Am Sestuna is good. So no, it probably won't be.

Yeah, it looks like an improvement on IAS. If you are one of those weird people (like me) who liked it, you're already sold. Time will tell if the builds are more complex, the story better, and the environments are more varied than IAS.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Louisgod posted:

I'm really, really glad Monolith is going back to what made the original Xenoblade successful.

I'm always weirded out by how overhyped XC is. I'm about to finish it right now (trying to kill the optional dragon superboss first) and the story is mostly cringe-worthy jrpg poo poo, characters are annoying and one dimensional and it has huge pacing issues around the end of the game. Like how many final bosses am I supposed to- nope, wait, there's another bigger final boss.

Combat is certainly the best thing about the game, but it's far from perfect: massive attack/dodge bonus vs enemies -5 levels under and massive penalty vs enemies already +5 levels over is the stupidest loving thing, along with the fact that the only way to beat the endgame superbosses is to focus on megaheating 2-3 gems of the dozens possible, ignore damage and defense and just shoot for high tension and infinite chain attacks. Don't even start me on the millions of sidequests, which are actually required to fully enjoy the game (who doesn't want new, cooler skill trees for your party members) and represent some of the worst, lowest effort content I've seen in any genre in recent memory. They literally are hell. Traveling anywhere in Bionis' Leg, Alcamoth, Frontier Village/Makna Forest and the Eryth Sea is also hell, but you could say that for most area except the self-contained ones.

I recently got XCX and other than the weird mannequin faces the game seems pretty cool. It's weird that they separated ground fighting from skell fighting but iirc someone in the thread said there was actually a fair amount of endgame content (unique monsters in caves and whatnot) that you couldn't experience with the skell.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 9, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone played butcher yet? Looks like fun from the release trailer but I haven't heard anyone talking about it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just beat I am Setsuna and enjoyed it for what it was. I don't know that I want any more of that though, not when Octopath is on the horizon. That demo ruled hard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel.
Until I know for sure, I'm holding off on XB2.

Since I also frisbeed earlier Xenogears titles, I'm starting to think that Xenoblade was the exception and not the rule when it comes to Monolith-developed Xeno games.
(I also didn't like Baten Kaitos, and stayed well clear of Project X Zone.)

Same.

I never got the love for Baiten Kaitos, unless the PS2 game was good and the GC game was just trash because holy poo poo the GC game's combat system sucked. I figure it has to be a rose-tinted glasses thing. Like how some people still think Xenogears was anything other than an insane trainwreck.

raditts posted:

The last direct that showed XB2 made it look dull as hell imo

Yeah as much as I liked XC and tolerated XCX's awful story, :shepface: character designs, and inferior music, the combat in XCX2 looks really, really stale. They honestly need to not have the weapon NPCs visible during combat. I know that means no underage stripper waifu constantly on screen, but having half your party just standing around for 90% of combat is a bad look.

The combo tier system sounds neat but the flow of combat just looked so slow. :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I have a glitch in Stsrdew Valley that makes me unable to stop playing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Does stardew have a tutorial? Or is it easy to get into for someone who rarely plays things like animal crossing, and not many other games?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

the truth posted:

I have a glitch in Stsrdew Valley that makes me unable to stop playing.

More like Chucklefucks amirite!

Norns posted:

Does stardew have a tutorial? Or is it easy to get into for someone who rarely plays things like animal crossing, and not many other games?

Not really. Getting the basic mechanics is really easy, though after playing for like 15 hours I almost want to start over with much better knowledge of wtf to do and some of the exact upgrade paths. I wasted so, so many resources on processing structures I don't have the raw resources for.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I have no idea how to fish!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

I have no idea how to fish!

Hold the button to cast and let go when the bar is full.

Wait for a bite and hit the button to set the hook and begin the minigame.

Hold the button to raise your bar and try to keep the fish inside the bar. When the vertical gauge next to your rod is full you catch the fish. Let the fish get out of your target and that bar empties (quite quickly).

(I have no idea what the chests do during the minigame or how to get bait on the fiberglass rod.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Scroll Direction: Natural. Such bullshit.

Apples thinking: hmm, people aren't switching to what we want them to do fast enough, lets change the wording to brainwash them.

That is not natural. It's backwards. Computers have touchpads/mice. They aren't mobile devices where you swipe on the screen.

In other words, always go in your mac settings and turn that stupid setting off so you can scroll properly.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

VideoGames posted:

I've never played it.

I am a huge VGM fan though!

Opinions on ace attorney tracks? Note that this may or may not reflect how i respect you as a human being.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

Scroll Direction: Natural. Such bullshit.

Apples thinking: hmm, people aren't switching to what we want them to do fast enough, lets change the wording to brainwash them.

That is not natural. It's backwards. Computers have touchpads/mice. They aren't mobile devices where you swipe on the screen.

In other words, always go in your mac settings and turn that stupid setting off so you can scroll properly.

I love natural scrolling--with a trackpad. Makes sense on the Magic Mouse, too.

Anything with a scroll wheel? Nah.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

enojy posted:

lol, my last experience with Apple was I think OS 8 and I have carried an (admittedly irrational at this point) hatred for them ever since.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lelandjs posted:

I love natural scrolling--with a trackpad. Makes sense on the Magic Mouse, too.

Anything with a scroll wheel? Nah.

Same but the setting won't let you specify, lol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Huxley posted:

Hold the button to cast and let go when the bar is full.

Wait for a bite and hit the button to set the hook and begin the minigame.

Hold the button to raise your bar and try to keep the fish inside the bar. When the vertical gauge next to your rod is full you catch the fish. Let the fish get out of your target and that bar empties (quite quickly).

(I have no idea what the chests do during the minigame or how to get bait on the fiberglass rod.)

The chests have a little mini-gauge that if it fills up, you get whatever is inside the chest. It usually only takes maybe 2 seconds of the chest being in your green box to "get" it. Typically the chests have coal, bait, or better things in them.

To bait your hook, you have to have the fiberglass rod. When you do, and you've got bait as well, highlight the bait in your inventory menu and press Y to "hold" as many baits as you want to hook (you should probably hook them all, unless you're using some for crab pots), then once you're holding the bait you want to hook, just scroll over to your rod and hit Y again. It uses 1 bait per cast so you could theoretically buy (or make) 50 baits, hook them all, and not have to worry about it for a long time, especially since bait is so cheap to buy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kawabata posted:

I'm always weirded out by how overhyped XC is. I'm about to finish it right now (trying to kill the optional dragon superboss first) and the story is mostly cringe-worthy jrpg poo poo, characters are annoying and one dimensional and it has huge pacing issues around the end of the game. Like how many final bosses am I supposed to- nope, wait, there's another bigger final boss.

Combat is certainly the best thing about the game, but it's far from perfect: massive attack/dodge bonus vs enemies -5 levels under and massive penalty vs enemies already +5 levels over is the stupidest loving thing, along with the fact that the only way to beat the endgame superbosses is to focus on megaheating 2-3 gems of the dozens possible, ignore damage and defense and just shoot for high tension and infinite chain attacks. Don't even start me on the millions of sidequests, which are actually required to fully enjoy the game (who doesn't want new, cooler skill trees for your party members) and represent some of the worst, lowest effort content I've seen in any genre in recent memory. They literally are hell. Traveling anywhere in Bionis' Leg, Alcamoth, Frontier Village/Makna Forest and the Eryth Sea is also hell, but you could say that for most area except the self-contained ones.

I recently got XCX and other than the weird mannequin faces the game seems pretty cool. It's weird that they separated ground fighting from skell fighting but iirc someone in the thread said there was actually a fair amount of endgame content (unique monsters in caves and whatnot) that you couldn't experience with the skell.

you have to also understand 2 things:

1) it came out at a time when jrpgs were at a nadir in terms of character, story, and originality, so what we got in XC was way better than almost anything, let alone on a Wii which was ridiculous and 2) BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE / AGAINST THE ODDS / WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawabata posted:

the story is mostly cringe-worthy jrpg poo poo, characters are annoying and one dimensional

I really don't get how you can say this when the entire Tales series exists.

I don't think XC is flawless and I definitely think the plot torpedoes itself towards the end, but by the standards of JRPGs its amazing. The characters are way less obnoxious than what I was used to. Even the obligatory cute mascot character has more going for them than what you would expect.

The thing that really makes me like XC, beyond just the standards of JRPGs, is how creative the world design was. I really loved the setting for those games. Xenoblade 2 actually looks to have a fairly interesting settings as well but everything else about the game seems...bad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the opening to xenoblade chronicles is literally "at first the world was nothing but endless ocean until two giant robots appeared out of nowhere and started fighting each other, now we live on the broken-but-still-standing bodies of these mechs"

it's the dopest poo poo

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get how you can say this when the entire Tales series exists.

I don't think XC is flawless and I definitely think the plot torpedoes itself towards the end, but by the standards of JRPGs its amazing. The characters are way less obnoxious than what I was used to. Even the obligatory cute mascot character has more going for them than what you would expect.

The thing that really makes me like XC, beyond just the standards of JRPGs, is how creative the world design was. I really loved the setting for those games. Xenoblade 2 actually looks to have a fairly interesting settings as well but everything else about the game seems...bad.

The fact that most JRPG have aggressively bad characters doesn't make cardboard heroes like Reyn less stupid though. I agree that the best thing XC had was its setting (and staying coherent to it most of the time).

I have high hopes for XC2 but we'll see. Combat didn't seem slow to me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's the anime version of the Great Green Arkleseizure.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

the opening to xenoblade chronicles is literally "at first the world was nothing but endless ocean until two giant robots appeared out of nowhere and started fighting each other, now we live on the broken-but-still-standing bodies of these mechs"

it's the dopest poo poo

yeah this, XC has the most incredible premise outright. I'm glad XC2 is going back to this as opposed to the dopey "we were on a ship and crash landed here and welp let's make do" of XCX. The only thing XCX has in common with the Xenoblade games is the combat system and Nopons. gently caress, it doesn't even have any titular sword, you could have called that game anything.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is it known if you need to play XC in order to understand XC2?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not currently. It is only known that you must enjoy bad games to understand it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chernabog posted:

you don't need to. it carries over the basic premise--we live on the backs of giant beasts, there is a magic sword---but the story and setting are new. it's like going from one zelda game to the next.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chernabog posted:

Dunno. It certainly wasn't for XCX but then this one has a 2 on it so maybe it's more of a sequel. At any rate it doesn't have any of the same characters in it so you'll probably be fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I fully expect X2 to have some terrible dumb bullshit that ties it to the original game and poisons it retroactively. It looks like that kind of sequel.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into Stardew Valley until I finished Golf Story, how close am I to the end if I just did the quest to get into the rich golf rear end in a top hat building (after clearing the haunted course, getting the four vintage clubs etc)?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

The fact that most JRPG have aggressively bad characters doesn't make cardboard heroes like Reyn less stupid though. I agree that the best thing XC had was its setting (and staying coherent to it most of the time).

I have high hopes for XC2 but we'll see. Combat didn't seem slow to me.

How can you not like Reyn you monster

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Pierson posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into Stardew Valley until I finished Golf Story, how close am I to the end if I just did the quest to get into the rich golf rear end in a top hat building (after clearing the haunted course, getting the four vintage clubs etc)?

You've got two major areas to go to, you're in the final stretch. One area has some short story content, the other has basically no story stuff and is all golf and challenges.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
A recent Xenoblade 2 trailer shows off the fact that Blades are being done by different designers and don't look as goofy as the two main leads.

Here's a marionette Blade that looks more Persona than she does Xenoblade: https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/916200843577196544

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Downloading Stardew now. Also wtf, only $16.99 on the AU store. Was expecting $22.99 at least. It's a strange day when I look at the price spreadsheet and AU has one of the better prices. Sadly I'm onsite at a client's site all day and then at the football so unless it gets a move on and is downloaded in the next ten minutes I won't be able to play it till tomorrow :(.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wizardryo posted:

A recent Xenoblade 2 trailer shows off the fact that Blades are being done by different designers and don't look as goofy as the two main leads.

Here's a marionette Blade that looks more Persona than she does Xenoblade: https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/916200843577196544

That looks dumb as hell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wizardryo posted:

This is the "not goofy" rendition?

:yikes:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Apparently I misinterpreted what a blade meant my whole life

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mutant Standard posted:

I have dark horizontal lines appearing on my Switch's screen. Is this a factory defect? Am I hosed?

Hey man, hope you're seeing this before sending your switch in. If you're playing golf story while that's happening, that's an issue specific to that game. It seems to happen to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Kraken posted:

That looks dumb as hell.
At least it looks dumb as hell in a completely different way from the giant anime titty I thought you'd be stuck with all game?

Holding out hope.

• Locked thread