Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It looks like the numbers are generally going up by quite a lot in the expansion. I made a very unoptimal (skills spread out all over everywhere because more buttons is more fun) of a lightning/electrocute vindicator and it looks like it would do pretty disgusting damage just with savagery alone, let alone storm box, lightning totems, wind devils, storm crystals and devotion procs. Shaman elemental builds seem like they all got a big buff, because wind devil's resist shred is now the kind that stacks. My vindicator reduces an enemy with zero lightning resistance to -177.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I tried Grim Dawn a while ago and didn't really like it all that much, but I've been playing Titan Quest for the past week and somehow the Crate style character building finally clicked for me. Now I'm just waiting for the expansion to drop before starting GD again.

I've been loving around with the new classes in Grimtools and I think I'll try an Inquisitor/Nightblade. Cold pistols, ABB, the frost rune skill from Inquisitor and stacking all the possible cold damage bonuses from both classes. Could work, who knows.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

I tried Grim Dawn a while ago and didn't really like it all that much, but I've been playing Titan Quest for the past week and somehow the Crate style character building finally clicked for me. Now I'm just waiting for the expansion to drop before starting GD again.

I've been loving around with the new classes in Grimtools and I think I'll try an Inquisitor/Nightblade. Cold pistols, ABB, the frost rune skill from Inquisitor and stacking all the possible cold damage bonuses from both classes. Could work, who knows.

That moment when it clicks is p. great. I played quite a bit of TQ but never quite got it until Grim Dawn. Been thinking of running back through TQ at some point...but GD feels so much better from an animation/gameplay syncing perspective.

On another note, time to develop an entire alt-Bomberperson build around http://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8144 "Tubeman" just feels like an unfortunate name, but here we are. Theorycrafting trip report: Depending on how I read the skills, I'd either be dropping 2 or 5! simultaneous mortar tubes, here: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jMenN9

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 9, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr_Gee posted:

That moment when it clicks is p. great. I played quite a bit of TQ but never quite got it until Grim Dawn. Been thinking of running back through TQ at some point...but GD feels so much better from an animation/gameplay syncing perspective.

Titan Quest is probably my favorite ARPG ever, but I'll definitely admit that trying to step backwards wrt the technology of the game is a challenge for me now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is the high end 2h bleed weapon the base game didn't really have. Gutsplosion sounds pretty fun.
http://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8803

Really curious to see how a blade arc/savagry bleed warder would work now, with that.

My previous saves are gone and I am down to nothing, so I'll probably just start with some sort of DEE occultist. It is pretty hard to gently caress up poison, and it is reasonably strong even with crap gear.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 9, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

docbeard posted:

Titan Quest is probably my favorite ARPG ever, but I'll definitely admit that trying to step backwards wrt the technology of the game is a challenge for me now.

I played it after my first GD playthrough and it is an enormous step backwards. The environments are better but that's about it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

The Moon Monster posted:

I played it after my first GD playthrough and it is an enormous step backwards. The environments are better but that's about it.

Yeah playing TQ really makes me miss the auto-pick up for gold and the button that combines relics for you.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Obfuscation posted:

I'm going to be doing exactly this, but with 2H melee instead. By all accounts it'll be pretty good as far as cold builds go.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
Full patch preview went up as well, RIP my frostburn tank build's dps if the scaling nerfs are big enough http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56477

Lots of buff to lightning damage skills though, I might build a vindicator first after all.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What class would go good with Inquisitor if I just want to dual guns and obliterate the screen. Shaman?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

queeb posted:

What class would go good with Inquisitor if I just want to dual guns and obliterate the screen. Shaman?
Anything with a basic attack, I would think. Shaman, Soldier, or Demo. Betting they would all work.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

seems like shaman could work well with a rifle with inquisitor, that might be worth playing around with since shaman got some buffs

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I want a 2H Deathknight with pets.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

queeb posted:

Seems like any class could work, though some might not work well right out of the box. Before gear, Shaman seems more focused on rifles and crossbows, either with primal strike or savagery. Nightblade, too, with a rifle, blade burst and a focus on cold damage. Demolitionist, with the high flat damage coming from fire strike, seems like the best match for dual guns.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah I think a vindicator with a rifle sounds fun as hell, guess ill camp the grim dawn forums the next day or two and see if someone puts up a decent looking build for one.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Here is a modified version of a vindicator I posted earlier in the thread. It is focused on primal strike with piercing shots from Rakajax (if that still pertains to the mythical version), wind devils and storm boxes. It should be extremely tough, with high health and multiple sources of strong sustain and damage mitigation. The AoE damage should be absolutely unparalleled, with lightning shooting all over everywhere all the time. Single target will probably suffer, though. I'm sure it could be further optimized, since I spent only about 20 minutes changing it from the melee savagery version, though I did put in what should be a better devotion plan, with more energy sustain and somewhat better OA.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 10, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Have dual guns changed at all in the last few patches? I played a Demo who used dual guns through level 70 and thought they were fine, but not super-inspired. Unless Inquisitor adds something that makes dual-wielding pistols more enjoyable, I may go a different road.

First glance at Apostate (Inquisitor/Necro) doesn't immediately yield a ton of synergy as far as I glanced at it; has anyone theorycrafted anything interesting for them? Might be nice to try both new classes out on the same char.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm looking forward to building a 2H Soldier/Necro. There are a couple of cool new two handers for Necros.

Sweetgrass posted:

Full patch preview went up as well, RIP my frostburn tank build's dps if the scaling nerfs are big enough http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56477

Lots of buff to lightning damage skills though, I might build a vindicator first after all.

quote:

Rare Crafting Materials (ex. Blood of Ch'thon) can now be placed in the Transfer Stash.

THE DREAM.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 11, 2017

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Not played this in forever, Can anybody recommend a 2H build? Something about smushing dudes with a 2h weapon is satisfying as gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm coming off Diablo 3 in search of some more traditional hack and slashing. I enjoyed TQ a lot, but it had its issues (quite a few of which D3 addressed). Biggest gripes were the complicated resistance mechanics, and that especially late game it was hard to work out the optimal gear since so many factors affected your damage output (do I boost my piercing damage by 10% with this item, or increase regular damage by 18% and raise dexterity by 24 with this one?) Also that it discouraged experimentation. Attributes, which could ruin a character if poorly assigned, were permanent. I hate having to worry that I'm irrevocably screwing myself in character building, and equally loathe looking up precise guides ahead of time. These are aspects GD retains, correct? (I'm guessing there are editors but that can be discouraging in it's own way).

That's not gonna stop me from playing if the game's good, but it's a bummer if so.

I'm planning on buying the game tomorrow if there's a sale to go along with the expansion. Are there any guides that don't go into min-maxing detail? Maybe I'll just ask for rough guidance when I'm uncertain. Figuring out the mechanics and skill dependencies myself is half the fun for me with these games. Wish they were a bit more transparent and friendly to trial and error.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Once the expansion comes out, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to respec every aspect of your character except stats class selection. Stats are also not very high impact and the general rule is put everything in physique, though you might put 10 or so in spirit or cunning just to make sure you have access to every type of equipment.

Otherwise, it's true the game has far too many damage types, conversions between them, resistances, and stats. But that's also part of the fun of it. I feel like some builds are quite straightforward and easy to gear, so I'd recommend just picking a primary skill you like and building towards using it to deal one or two types of damage. You shouldn't really need a guide if you follow the more obvious synergies. Then just ask here or on the official forums if you need clarification on some of the weird, poorly explained stuff like skill transmuters, damage conversion processing order and weapon pool skills.

Edit: Per the expansion's steam page, there will be a potion that lets you respec your attributes too, so there really will be no punishment for experimentation at all.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TwatHammer posted:

Not played this in forever, Can anybody recommend a 2H build? Something about smushing dudes with a 2h weapon is satisfying as gently caress.

If you plan to get the expansion when it goes live in 2 hours & 15 mins, here's a 2H Death Knight (Soldier+Necromancer) build:

Without +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnG3g2r
With Gear & +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWpmdZJ

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i cant decide between a rifle or dual pistols inquisitor. A purifier with dual pistols and a bunch of the 20% chance elemental procs could be fun.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Oh, poo poo, the expansion's finally coming out. I was semi-waiting for it but not really keeping it on my radar until just now.

I'm gonna just roll a necro for a pet prof and hope for the best. I really liked playing vitality e:sorcerer conjurer dude back when GD was fresh, hoping to do some similar survivable caster except with skeletons, zombies or whatever.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 11, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ha, I went to check if the backer keys for the expansion were up on Humble yet (they're not), and found a key for Crucible. I probably should have checked before I bought Crucible myself, but that's what I get for not assuming Crate is a bunch of super cool folks. Now someone gets to profit from my mistake.

QR6DX-7TYWP-Q7T46

Because I did such an rear end-backwards thing, the key is written entirely backwards.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Ha, I went to check if the backer keys for the expansion were up on Humble yet (they're not), and found a key for Crucible. I probably should have checked before I bought Crucible myself, but that's what I get for not assuming Crate is a bunch of super cool folks. Now someone gets to profit from my mistake.

QR6DX-7TYWP-Q7T46

Because I did such an rear end-backwards thing, the key is written entirely backwards.
Thank you very much - should keep me harmlessly occupied, when I'm lost for things to do to prevent myself from worrying too much about whether or not my cancer has gone into remission.

It should also put my played time in Grim Dawn over 300 hours.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

If you plan to get the expansion when it goes live in 2 hours & 15 mins, here's a 2H Death Knight (Soldier+Necromancer) build:

Without +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnG3g2r
With Gear & +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWpmdZJ

Yeah i plan to and thanks guy will give this a shot. the new necro's and inquisitors look fun as poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TwatHammer posted:

Yeah i plan to and thanks guy will give this a shot. the new necro's and inquisitors look fun as poo poo.

Yeah, they really look great. If only we could get Double Shield Combat and Unarmed Combat.

Here's a Petless 2H Reaper (Necromancer+Nightblade) I found:

Without +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gBOBNy
With Gear & +Skills: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoAmG2A

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Would Occultist or Shaman pair better with Necromancer if I want to go maximum pets? Occultist has more perma pets, but Shaman has really good pet buffs.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
It's up on Steam, so dust off your bones, boys. :skeltal:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat this electric box thing from inquisitor seems strong so far

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ranged skeletons need an increase in aggro range.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Inquisitor spells look really cool.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really, really torn as to whether I want to go Death Knight or Mage Hunter or something else altogether when I get a chance to finally play late tonight. Death Knight seems like it could be fun, but potentially one-note (albeit one REALLY hard to kill note). Mage Hunter, on the other hand, seems like it could be an incredible fireworks show and finally do the two-gun mojo the way I'd always wanted to see it in GD. ...but then there's the Shaman/Necro rifle build and...

AGH!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

[quote="“Memnaelar”" post="“477278766”"]
Really, really torn as to whether I want to go Death Knight or Mage Hunter or something else altogether when I get a chance to finally play late tonight. Death Knight seems like it could be fun, but potentially one-note (albeit one REALLY hard to kill note). Mage Hunter, on the other hand, seems like it could be an incredible fireworks show and finally do the two-gun mojo the way I’d always wanted to see it in GD. ...but then there’s the Shaman/Necro rifle build and...

AGH!
[/quote]

Both of those sound kinda compelling. I guess I will actually get a chance to play the new expansion before I leave town, but I don't have much spare time so I better make those few hours count.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zore posted:

Would Occultist or Shaman pair better with Necromancer if I want to go maximum pets? Occultist has more perma pets, but Shaman has really good pet buffs.
Personally I think that since Drinky Crow has an aura now instead of an ability it has to try to use, occultist is the way to go. But I'm sure both will be good for a pokemon master build.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Sweetgrass posted:

Hell. Yes.

Gunslinging Orwells' was basically the most fun (not effective, but fun) I've had with GD in a while, aside from the ol' Bomberwoman. Super glad about lightning getting beefier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does the expansion improve the core experience, or can I wait with purchasing it until I've sunk my teeth deeper into the game?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Does the expansion improve the core experience, or can I wait with purchasing it until I've sunk my teeth deeper into the game?

You'll get two new sets of skills to choose from, so if you think you're going to get it, you may as well get it now.
The new areas are for after you've completed the main campaign, so don't worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

kingturnip posted:

You'll get two new sets of skills to choose from, so if you think you're going to get it, you may as well get it now.
The new areas are for after you've completed the main campaign, so don't worry about that.

I assume the new loot that affects skills and such is mixed through the game too.