Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Paul MaudDib posted:

I do miss 144 Hz, I can tell a difference moving down to 100 Hz even though I am adjusting my framerate to stay locked at 100 fps. And then there's the titles that don't react well to ultrawide at all - and so far I'm not quite sure how to force pillarboxing mode for those.

Set your scaling mode to preserve ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i got my XB271HU recently and it's been great, the difference when i switched to high refresh was real jarring
but the calibration feels, well, off
everything is definitely slightly too yellow and I'm not sure how to fix that

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RME posted:

i got my XB271HU recently and it's been great, the difference when i switched to high refresh was real jarring
but the calibration feels, well, off
everything is definitely slightly too yellow and I'm not sure how to fix that

Rent a colour calibrator from a local photo store/photographer friends/facebook groups.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Oh is renting those an option? I looked at them before and I wasn't excited about spending the money for something that apparently degrades by the next time I would get to use it (I know it takes a few years but I don't exactly buy monitors super often, so it'd probably be years before it'd see light again). I was ready to eat it if people advised me to, because at least I could calibrate my brother's stuff while I was at it, but renting is a much better option.

I did tweak some calibration last night and got it looking a lot better but now I'm itching to think I could do even better, but I did it through the nvidia control panel because it was easier to experiment with mouse controls vs osd, but that might get annoying if I ever have to reinstall drivers

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Human brains are really bad at colour matching. You can never get it right by eye, it's just a limit of how our brains work. I don't understand the biology enough to explain, but you know how when you wear tinted glasses for a while, everything looks wrong when you take them off? That same brain process makes it impossible for us to calibrate colours. If it's bothering you, call around and see if you can hire something.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

RME posted:

Oh is renting those an option?

At some shops, yeah. The catch is that it won't come with the software. You can either purchase that separately, or use one of the open-source/free versions. Generally, unless you're looking for something very specific, the free options are perfectly fine.

Also, monitors themselves drift over time, so it's not exactly a one-and-done deal; ideally you'd recalibrate every 6-12 months, so if you did buy one it's not like it'd be totally useless. Renting one every now and again is still probably the better option for the vast majority of people, though.

eames
May 9, 2009

I've been told that newer devices have more robust filters that don't degrade nearly as quickly as they used to. They also last a lot longer if you store them in an airtight bag with some desiccant packages because humidity accelerates the degradation.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
So I'm in the market for a new monitor as I have a relatively decent pc and have been running garbage at 1k for a while.

My first thought was 4k! But then I see a roommate's 144hz 1k monitor and get intrigued by that.

So I look into 4k 144hz monitors and they're either super expensive or TN garbage, so I found ye ole' standard of acer predator 2k 165hz IPS panels, and upon looking I also found AOC Agon AG271QG and ViewSonic XG2703-GS which are the competitors sporting gsync with the same specs, 2k 165hz IPS panel.

I assume they're all made in the same factory panel wise, what is the downside to getting these besides increased risk of getting bleedthrough and dead pixels? Because I could easily cheat amazon and repeatedly send them back as "broken" until I get a good one.

Ezekial fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 5, 2017

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I tired looking for a photo store near me that I could ask, but the only thing even remotely like that is probably Staples printing desk or a generic supermarket photo develop kiosk. I doubt either of those would have it, and wouldn't be renting them out if they did. Unless there is a specific chain in Michigan, USA I'm at a loss as to where to look for a colorimeter.

There are online sites where you can rent it for 3 days for like $35-40 USD.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
You're looking for a camera rental or lens rental place. They're pretty common, and a city like Michigan definitely has a few around. They also rent calibrators.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Looks like the X34P's are finally going to be coming out at the end of the year (unless they get delayed yet again), X34s got a recent price drop.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
I am thinking of building a PC for my girlfriend to use for professional design (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator) and the monitor is a big part of the equation. She was considering an iMac 5K or a Microsoft Surface Studio but I thought I could build her something faster and upgradeable for cheaper. I've been researching as best I can and I don't see a lot of direct comparisons made to the screen in the iMac 5K/Surface Studio. A lot of monitor reviews are gamer-oriented and I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a professional monitor. Can I buy something as good or better or is she best suited with the iMac 5K/Surface Studio? I think she's looking for 27-32" and probably 4K or similar.

This is what I have found so far:
32" 4K screens
32" Samsung UD970
BenQ PV3200PT
HP DreamColor Z32x
Dell UP3216Q

27" but has HDR
Dell UP2718Q

Not 4K but mentioned a lot
NEC PA272W-BK
Eizo?

Budget is $3k-ish for PC + monitor

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Dell do a 5k monitor, the UP2715K.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lungboy posted:

Dell do a 5k monitor, the UP2715K.

You're not the boss of them.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Anyone else tried the 34" Dell/Alienware AW3418DW? My monitor budget has gone up a bit and I think this might be the way to go. Not a lot of reviews around yet as it is pretty new.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Sterling_Archer posted:

Anyone else tried the 34" Dell/Alienware AW3418DW? My monitor budget has gone up a bit and I think this might be the way to go. Not a lot of reviews around yet as it is pretty new.

There's a handful of reviews on the Reddit ultrawide page, generally good reviews so far from the people that received one.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Stan S. Stanman posted:

There's a handful of reviews on the Reddit ultrawide page, generally good reviews so far from the people that received one.

I do like Dell in general. I've been using the 24" ultrasharp panels for like 6 years and one is finally giving up the ghost. I also like the warranty and not having to worry about dead pixels sounds nice.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Currently planning on getting a PB278QR but I also like the specs of the PG279Q with it's 165hz + GSync goodness. My GTX 970 probably can't do 1440p @ 165hz very well (or at all) but I can always buy a better GPU.

My worry is I'll be limited by my 2500k :shobon: I keep flipping between wanting to upgrade this PC and buying a new 8700k 1080Ti system.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd buy the screen now and buy a new system when Volta is out next year.
1440p with a 970 and lowered settings should be just about fluid thanks to Gsync and a 1080ti is still too slow for maxing out that screen anyway (unless you only play e-sports games!)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ak Gara posted:

Currently planning on getting a PB278QR but I also like the specs of the PG279Q with it's 165hz + GSync goodness. My GTX 970 probably can't do 1440p @ 165hz very well (or at all) but I can always buy a better GPU.

My worry is I'll be limited by my 2500k :shobon: I keep flipping between wanting to upgrade this PC and buying a new 8700k 1080Ti system.

The higher the resolution the less limited you are by the CPU, so I'd go with the monitor now and then wait for Volta GPUs to come out next year, that way you can grab a much more powerful GPU or spend a lot less money and enjoy G-sync until then. I'm using a 970 with a 1440p G-sync monitor and in spite of the lower frame rates it's very smooth due to G-sync.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
For years I've happily used a single Dell 3007WFPHC as my primary display for my gaming machine. This monitor has gorgeous color, and I refuse to ever leave IPS displays. Recently I've decided that I really like the look of the Ultrawides, and have been considering moving to an ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q. I have several questions:

1. Am I mental for being sad about going to 1440 from 1600, will I actually notice that?

2. I have my 3007WFPHC mounted on an Obutto Revolution, and while anything on the market is going to be lighter, the back plate of the Asus looks recessed, don't know if I'll need to buy another vesa mount for the swing arm?

3. Is this stupid, should I wait until something in true 4k that's also Ultrawide comes out?

Derakarsis fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 8, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Derakarsis posted:

For years I've happily used a single Dell 3007WFPHC as my primary display for my gaming machine. This monitor has gorgeous color, and I refuse to ever leave IPS displays. Recently I've decided that I really like the look of the Ultrawides, and have been considering moving to an ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q. I have several questions:

1. Am I mental for being sad about going to 1440 from 1600, will I actually notice that?

2. I have my 3007WFPHC mounted on an Obutto Revolution, and while anything on the market is going to be lighter, the back plate of the Asus looks recessed, don't know if I'll need to buy another vesa mount for the swing arm?

3. Is this stupid, should I wait until something in true 4k that's also Ultrawide comes out?

How often do you calibrate that 30"? and how many hours on the backlight? If it has >30k hours on the backlight, you'll probably be blown away by most everything (including color) from any newer IPS display :v:

1. IIRC the 34" is slightly higher DPI, so you will notice a difference there.
30": 2560*1600=4 096 000 pixels

34": 3440*1440=4 953 600 pixels

2.If you have the wide (200x100) vesa mounts on the R3volution, you can use a spacer and longer screws(?).

3. Well, you can spend some more for a 38" ultrawide with 3840x1600, which comes down to about 6.1 megapixels of monitor. Or are you thinking 2160 vertical pixels?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

I am thinking of building a PC for my girlfriend to use for professional design (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator) and the monitor is a big part of the equation. She was considering an iMac 5K or a Microsoft Surface Studio but I thought I could build her something faster and upgradeable for cheaper. I've been researching as best I can and I don't see a lot of direct comparisons made to the screen in the iMac 5K/Surface Studio. A lot of monitor reviews are gamer-oriented and I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a professional monitor. Can I buy something as good or better or is she best suited with the iMac 5K/Surface Studio? I think she's looking for 27-32" and probably 4K or similar.

This is what I have found so far:
32" 4K screens
32" Samsung UD970
BenQ PV3200PT
HP DreamColor Z32x
Dell UP3216Q

27" but has HDR
Dell UP2718Q

Not 4K but mentioned a lot
NEC PA272W-BK
Eizo?

Budget is $3k-ish for PC + monitor

I really would just get her the iMac. It's not just about the hardware specs, how well the UX scales to 5K matters a lot (especially with a 27" display) and Windows is still far behind the consistency of OSX/The Mac (fixed hardware helps a lot) here. The 5k iMac is actually very competitively priced, you just won't save enough - if anything - to be worth it, especially losing the advantage of one source to deal with in the event of tech issues.

Edit: good lord that Dell 32" 4k is the same price as a 5K iMac

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots

Wibla posted:

How often do you calibrate that 30"? and how many hours on the backlight? If it has >30k hours on the backlight, you'll probably be blown away by most everything (including color) from any newer IPS display :v:

1. IIRC the 34" is slightly higher DPI, so you will notice a difference there.
30": 2560*1600=4 096 000 pixels

34": 3440*1440=4 953 600 pixels

2.If you have the wide (200x100) vesa mounts on the R3volution, you can use a spacer and longer screws(?).

3. Well, you can spend some more for a 38" ultrawide with 3840x1600, which comes down to about 6.1 megapixels of monitor. Or are you thinking 2160 vertical pixels?

- I honestly have no idea how many hours are on the backlight, there's no GUI on the the 3007WFPHC, and the only button adjustments are power and brightness. I've had it since 2008, and I've used it or left it on for a shameful amount of time. Easily over 30k.

- I'll have to look into quality mounting screws and spacers then...

- I didn't see anything larger in the 38 category that also could achieve 100hz. My criteria was basically to try to maintain the current size, if not bigger, go ultrawide, and see a better refresh rate than my current 60 (100ish) while staying on an IPS display. I wanted to be able to mount it to the R3volution, and stay single monitor. Currently have a single Zotac 1080ti.

- I figured if I could go true 4k and Ultrawide, I'd do that, but it didn't seem like that was an option to get everything I wanted.

* I don't really have any brand loyalty, my monitor is this old with no visible dead pixels, I guess I found a loving unicorn.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Hey, I recently decided that I am sick of my lovely monitor and am looking to replace it. I was a little overwhelmed when I was researching, but I found a couple candidates.
One of the ones I was looking at was the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSh...ds=Dell+U2312HM

I was wondering what the thread would recommend before I go making any decisions though.

All I need is:
- Wide viewing angle, so I can lean back.
- Good color accuracy without having to get super advanced with calibrating it. It doesn't need to be amazing, just about average would be good enough.
- Low input lag, since I play video games sometimes.
- Less than $500. I don't make much money right now. Getting it for less than $300 would be even better.

I don't need anything too fancy, I'm just looking to replace a monitor that sucks rear end.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I really would just get her the iMac. It's not just about the hardware specs, how well the UX scales to 5K matters a lot (especially with a 27" display) and Windows is still far behind the consistency of OSX/The Mac (fixed hardware helps a lot) here. The 5k iMac is actually very competitively priced, you just won't save enough - if anything - to be worth it, especially losing the advantage of one source to deal with in the event of tech issues.

Edit: good lord that Dell 32" 4k is the same price as a 5K iMac

In my experience UI scaling on Macs is laggy as poo poo even with a top-end graphics card and CPU, unless that's limited to the nvidia web drivers. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but it is unusable for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dear SHSC,

1. Why are all G-Sync monitors still so insanely expensive, and
2. Are they ever going to release a new line of IPS panels for the models currently out there?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Why is integer scaling not common nowadays? Is it a hardware or software problem? Is it too expensive to implement? I thought people with 4K displays would kill to have lower resolutions displayed in a crisp way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

exquisite tea posted:

Dear SHSC,

1. Why are all G-Sync monitors still so insanely expensive, and
2. Are they ever going to release a new line of IPS panels for the models currently out there?
1. Because AMD hasn't been able to actually threaten nVidia's lock on the high-end market.
2. The moment you give in, buy a new monitor, and the return period expires.

Terminally Bored posted:

Why is integer scaling not common nowadays? Is it a hardware or software problem? Is it too expensive to implement? I thought people with 4K displays would kill to have lower resolutions displayed in a crisp way.
When looking up which 4K TVs supported 1080p120 input I found a review actually complaining about one of them (I think it was a Sony) doing integer scaling in 120Hz mode.

I think the reasoning is basically that "smooth" scaling looks better in demos and generally looks better with movies or games. Integer scaling is better for certain things but those are harder to sell to the average consumer.

As far as why we don't even get optional integer scaling modes, my only guess is it's about consumer simplicity. How many people want that feature versus how many might turn it on by accident and call up pissed off that their blu-rays look ugly?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 9, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Works perfectly in windows 10 on my 4k screen. At least for apps that don't handle high DPI themselves.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

..btt posted:

In my experience UI scaling on Macs is laggy as poo poo even with a top-end graphics card and CPU, unless that's limited to the nvidia web drivers. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but it is unusable for me.

"In my experience" meaning...? What Mac? What OSX version? An iMac with an 8GB 580 will have absolutely no problem, and High Sierra migrates the OSX Window server to Metal instead of OpenGL which further improves performance.

Really getting someone a DIY PC for professional graphic design work that their livelihood depends on when they can't diagnose and fix potential issues themselves is really not wise, Mac vs PC aside.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Neat monitor from AOC: https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/james-morris/aoc-agon-ag322qcx-144hz-freesync-31-5in-curved-gaming-monitor-review/

31.5", curved, 144Hz 1440p with an MVA panel, FreeSync with LFC, so that kinda rules. Looks like it's around GBP470 with VAT included. Could be one of "the good ones" for FreeSync implementations.

Big bad review here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-ag322qcx/

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"In my experience" meaning...? What Mac? What OSX version? An iMac with an 8GB 580 will have absolutely no problem, and High Sierra migrates the OSX Window server to Metal instead of OpenGL which further improves performance.

Really getting someone a DIY PC for professional graphic design work that their livelihood depends on when they can't diagnose and fix potential issues themselves is really not wise, Mac vs PC aside.

It was laggy on a Hackintosh with an i5-4670 with a 970 then upgraded to a 980Ti. Most recently tried on High Sierra. 3D apps were extremely performant as expected, but dragging around a window with UI scaling enabled had noticeable lag, like about a quarter of a second behind. With scaling set to 100% there was no lag at all. As I say, I this was using nvidia and web drivers so maybe OS X desktop rendering is just heavily optimised for AMD stuff? Wouldn't surprise me since I don't think they even sell nvidia equipped desktops anymore.

Agreed though, if you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't suggest building your own PC for work or any other purpose, but fixing Windows and PC compatible hardware is pretty straightforward. If your Mac breaks though, welp, better take it to the nearest Apple store. The guy was considering building a PC so hopefully he knows the trade-offs.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Greatly appreciate the responses. I'm very comfortable building PCs but I ultimately want to make the best choice for her professional design work. The creative industry is all-in on Apple computers and I have had a hard time finding a neutral comparison between iMac 5K and a custom PC build. But as Happy_Misanthrope suggests, the savings might not be worth it all things considered (e.g. UX scaling, single point of contact for support so I do not need to get involved).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I thought as typing that previous post surely for graphic design you'd consider software compatibility over all else, and in that industry it's Mac or nothing. Adobe products have always run like utter poo poo on Windows.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

..btt posted:

It was laggy on a Hackintosh with an i5-4670 with a 970 then upgraded to a 980Ti. Most recently tried on High Sierra. 3D apps were extremely performant as expected, but dragging around a window with UI scaling enabled had noticeable lag, like about a quarter of a second behind.
Yeah maybe don't judge via a hackintosh. I haven't seen any lag whatsoever with regards to moving windows with high-DPI rendering on far lesser Macs, the 5k Mac's I've used are very snappy in almost all UX features. Some aspects with the lower end Radeon will get some stuttering from what I've read (Expose with tons of windows at high res), but the 580 is more than enough. This just isn't a problem for the machine in question at all.

quote:

Agreed though, if you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't suggest building your own PC for work or any other purpose, but fixing Windows and PC compatible hardware is pretty straightforward. If your Mac breaks though, welp, better take it to the nearest Apple store. The guy was considering building a PC so hopefully he knows the trade-offs.
He's building it for a friend though, not for himself. That means he'll be de-facto support for that friend, which is a bad situation for both of them. What if say, it doesn't boot one day? What's the problem component? How do you diagnose it? Unless it's your PC and you have the experience in this area (and even then it can require you to have some spare parts to narrow down the culprit), it's just dumb to configure a DIY PC for a friend who doesn't have that skillset unless they have very specific interests that OEM's can't satisfy without paying an exorbitant markup (such as gaming). For the needs of a graphic artist who wants high DPI, the 5k iMac is actually a drat good value and outside of video editing probably it's ideal task. DIY PC is trying to shoehorn in a personal preference here I feel that doesn't suit the needs of the user.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Thanks again to ..btt and Happy_Misanthrope. We are going to go with a refurb 2017 iMac 5K.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Terminally Bored posted:

Good luck trying to explain integer scaling to the masses. I'm still reeling from the fact they managed to sell millions of 720p and 1080p TVs without support for 1:1 pixel mapping.

Some people don't like a pixelated look either: http://tanalin.com/images/articles/lossless-scaling/main-2x.png

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 10, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Friend is going to build a ~$550 gaming PC with a GTX 1050TI. He was going to borrow a crap monitor from a friend, but is interested to hear about monitors. This $550 is excluding the monitor.

What's the best bang for the buck? 1080p because of the GPU, maybe IPS, I assume not a crazy refresh rate, won't ever be having the bleeding edge GPU.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingKapalone posted:

Friend is going to build a ~$550 gaming PC with a GTX 1050TI. He was going to borrow a crap monitor from a friend, but is interested to hear about monitors.

What's the best bang for the buck? 1080p because of the GPU, maybe IPS, I assume not a crazy refresh rate, won't ever be having the bleeding edge GPU.

In that kind of a price range, go for a refurb 24" 144 Hz 1080p for around $150. You can also go 27" 1080p IPS for the same-ish price, which may have better color, although it'll be a little chunky for productivity and is only 60 Hz. You may be able to drive some e-sports titles at 144 Hz with a low setting, and it'll help smoothness even if you're only rendering much lower framerates.

Consider getting something with FreeSync, it won't work with your GPU but it doesn't cost you anything either. The NVIDIA equivalent, GSync, doesn't have a good low-end, but you can get the same monitor for ~$300 with GSync and that'll work with your monitor. If you want to go that route it's better to aim for a $400-ish monitor where you're getting a nicer panel + more screen real estate (for roughly the same price with either FreeSync or GSync) but that's a lot more than the $150-ish entry-level monitors.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 11, 2017