Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Just lol if you have to warm up for sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I need to buy some shin guards soon. Anybody have any that they really like? I need shin guards, because when I spar, it's harder to block someone who kicks you repeatedly, while they're wearing shin guards. Since I'm not a great kicker, weight is probably more important than protection? Lighter so that I can kick more.

I've been reading reviews.. there's a lot of stuff out there. The Fairtex shin guards look pretty cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Juanito posted:

I need to buy some shin guards soon. Anybody have any that they really like? I need shin guards, because when I spar, it's harder to block someone who kicks you repeatedly, while they're wearing shin guards.
I've been reading reviews.. there's a lot of stuff out there. The Fairtex shin guards look pretty cool.

Fairtex is fine. Any Muay Thai style shinguard with leather or faux leather over foam is the level of protection you need.

The karate or point-fighting type shinguards with only cloth on the outside won't be enough:

My preferred brand is Top King. Pricier, but last a long time.

You want your velcro loops to be one piece, like this:

And not 2 pieces:

These are easier to come loose and scratch your skin more.

quote:

Since I'm not a great kicker, weight is probably more important than protection? Lighter so that I can kick more.
Nah, you shouldn't be worried about the weight. You'll get used to it pretty fast.

quote:

I need shin guards, because when I spar, it's harder to block someone who kicks you repeatedly, while they're wearing shin guards.
A good block will take their padded shin on your knee or upper shin. They'll be kicking more than they would without shin guards, but it doesn't increase the difficulty of executing a block on your end.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Joe Corley keeps coming to my weekend job to give me flyers and cards to give out and he has a shirt that says "I KRAVE KRAV" even though he's an american karate guy

I once had to tell him to quit stealing our store's water and it was awkward. He's nice though but

Last i spoke with him I mentioned to him his chuck norris long pants kickboxing fight w superfoot Wallace from the like early 80s I guess and he honestly didn't seem to remember it lol (he got tuned up)

Just midnight ramblings :]

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
On shin guards: I recommend getting some that only just cover your toes, maybe even let tem peek out a bit.

Mine reach 1-2 cm beyond my toes, and I've had a couple of sprains because they got caught on the floor in the rush, and I stepped on my toes.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Fairtex is fine. Any Muay Thai style shinguard with leather or faux leather over foam is the level of protection you need.

The karate or point-fighting type shinguards with only cloth on the outside won't be enough:

My preferred brand is Top King. Pricier, but last a long time.

You want your velcro loops to be one piece, like this:

And not 2 pieces:

These are easier to come loose and scratch your skin more.

Nah, you shouldn't be worried about the weight. You'll get used to it pretty fast.

A good block will take their padded shin on your knee or upper shin. They'll be kicking more than they would without shin guards, but it doesn't increase the difficulty of executing a block on your end.
This is really useful. I think I'll probably get Top King, overall they seem to be the best.

I feel like I'm taking a lot more damage (than my opponent) when I'm blocking a kick with my shin, but the other guy has a shin guard.

Hawgh posted:

On shin guards: I recommend getting some that only just cover your toes, maybe even let tem peek out a bit.

Mine reach 1-2 cm beyond my toes, and I've had a couple of sprains because they got caught on the floor in the rush, and I stepped on my toes.
Thanks for the tip. I've noticed one guy tripping himself a bit with his shin guards, and it's probably because of this.

Related to sparring, my instructor had me wear a mask last week during sparring, after weeks of not using a mask. I hated it. It was similar to this:

I was barely able to see the lower kicks coming at me, and as soon as you're grappling, the mask moves some, and you can't even see anything. I took it off after I got submitted on the ground, mostly because I couldn't even see what was happening. Some of the guys said that they're going to kick harder if you're wearing a mask, so I'd just as soon not.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Juanito posted:

Some of the guys said that they're going to kick harder if you're wearing a mask, so I'd just as soon not.

That's kind of lovely of them. Head gears just there to protect your nose, ears, eyes, and teeth(depending on coverage), and to lessen blows a little bit. poo poo will not prevent concussions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The top king shinguards are highly regarded among the MT guys I know.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

KildarX posted:

That's kind of lovely of them. Head gears just there to protect your nose, ears, eyes, and teeth(depending on coverage), and to lessen blows a little bit. poo poo will not prevent concussions.
I think that more than try to hurt you, I think they're going to attempt more head kicks since your head is protected. Whereas, if your head isn't protected, then head kicks are more dangerous, for them to attempt.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 30, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

Related to sparring, my instructor had me wear a mask last week during sparring, after weeks of not using a mask. I hated it. It was similar to this:

I was barely able to see the lower kicks coming at me, and as soon as you're grappling, the mask moves some, and you can't even see anything.

I'm surprised you're doing such free/unrestricted sparring so early on, with lots of fitness and technique to build up first.
If you want similar protection but less limited vision, try a nosebar headgear:
https://www.amazon.com/WINNING-Winning-Headgear-Fg5000/dp/B00CZ9PK36
I've not tried any of the cheaper brands' version of this.
This headgear does condition you to take jabs less seriously -- getting popped on the nose is much more sting than getting pushed on the cheeks by the nosebar.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

I'm surprised you're doing such free/unrestricted sparring so early on, with lots of fitness and technique to build up first.
If you want similar protection but less limited vision, try a nosebar headgear:
https://www.amazon.com/WINNING-Winning-Headgear-Fg5000/dp/B00CZ9PK36
I've not tried any of the cheaper brands' version of this.
This headgear does condition you to take jabs less seriously -- getting popped on the nose is much more sting than getting pushed on the cheeks by the nosebar.
Appreciate the advice. Any more gear recommendations, or gear to avoid? I'm traveling to the US in a few weeks, and planning on buying some better gear. That's why I was researching shin guards. I'm not looking to compete, but definitely continue to spar, and want to make sure I get what I need while there, instead of overpaying down here for good stuff, or buying cheap Chinese junk.

The no brand 12oz boxing gloves I bought only cost me 21 bucks. I'm assuming that they're not going to last me too long. Fairtex gloves seem to have great reviews.

My boil and bite mouthguard cost me 2 dollars. Are they "good enough" or should I get something better? I'm not in the US long enough to get a custom one made with a dentist. I'm thinking maybe something from Shock Doctor with gel?

I think I might get a rashguard for times when the instructor decides we're gonna grapple because I've noticed my upper arms getting scraped up when we spend more time on the ground. He also recommended tights leggings, but I'm not sure I need that. I've been wearing ankle socks since the floor around the mat is cold, and everything is kinda dirty, (thankfully we're finally hitting springtime here), but I might get some grappling socks.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Juanito posted:

tights leggings spats

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

My boil and bite mouthguard cost me 2 dollars. Are they "good enough" or should I get something better? I'm not in the US long enough to get a custom one made with a dentist. I'm thinking maybe something from Shock Doctor with gel?

If it fits really well, like sticks easily to your teeth when you open your mouth and press lightly down on it with your lip, it's fine.

I have one of these and a dentist-made one:
http://www.gladiatorguards.com/guards/gladiator-pro
Same process -- fill a tray with the casting goo, stick it in your mouth, wait a couple minutes, and take the cast out.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I don't know the merit to this but I used to roll w a guy who was a dental assistant, and he said that if you have relatively uniform teeth then a good boil n bite is ok but if you have a more unique 'bite pattern' you probably need a pro job. I have no idea my teeth are pretty straight and boil n bite worked for me but I am not a dentist. Take this with a grain of salt

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From Wushu Worlds. This is a really nice signature sanshou technique:

Sidekicks happen in sanshou because they score 2 points from a distance and are harder to catch than a round kick, but you can still catch them.
Instead of sweeping the support leg, just pull them off balance and then redirect their leg to rotate them off balance.

A clean throw (where you stay standing and don't fall on top of the throwee) is 2 pts, so it's a really good counter if you land it.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Cool

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
How important are hand wraps during training? I'm just looking at any small things that can help me avoid injury.

I'm kind of thinking of something like these, instead of something that I have to wrap manually, especially since the classes I'm taking are so varied. Sometimes we'll be grappling, sometimes we'll be focused on punches, etc. Looks like these wraps would be fine under my 12oz gloves.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Better off with wraps honestly. Wearing gloves under your gloves cannot possibly be comfortable and if those are those weird gel gloves they will be messy when they break

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wraps are at least as important as gloves for avoiding injury. They keep your wrists tidy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrapping your hands is part of the craft. You eventually learn to tweak the formula to get the best fit against your own hand shape.
Especially early going, you're going to be mistiming punches against the heavy bag all the time, and rolling your wrists at weird angles.
You need the wrap to limit how far you can bend them.

The glove things are just a shortcut. Within a month you'll be able to wrap in less than a minute. Get 180" wraps, ideally with a bit of elastic.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone got any advice for being in a fight with someone with a motorbike helmet on? Lot of moped thieves running round at the moment in the UK impervious to any kind police pursuit, 3 of which ran up on my friend whilst she was pushing a baby on the sidewalk and almost clipped the pram. They have been bragging about their thefts on Instagram and Snapchat and the police wont do anything.

Motorbike owners even had a 500 person protest about it, all very peaceful, and the little fuckers snapchatted from within it calling everyone out and pointing out which bikes they would be stealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMM3Wlfrw-M

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 9, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got any advice for being in a fight with someone with a motorbike helmet on? Lot of moped thieves running round at the moment in the UK impervious to any kind police pursuit, 3 of which ran up on my friend whilst she was pushing a baby on the sidewalk and almost clipped the pram. They have been bragging about their thefts on Instagram and Snapchat and the police wont do anything.

Motorbike owners even had a 500 person protest about it, all very peaceful, and the little fuckers snapchatted from within it calling everyone out and pointing out which bikes they would be stealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMM3Wlfrw-M

the first step would be to find the animal you will base your costume, nickname and general theme on. do NOT choose the 'bat', it is taken

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Wangsbig posted:

the first step would be to find the animal you will base your costume, nickname and general theme on. do NOT choose the 'bat', it is taken

I am thinking Horse?

I got the running shoes so I can chase after them.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Good luck in your quest to become british Punisher or whatever.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got any advice for being in a fight with someone with a motorbike helmet on?

Don't get into a fight with someone wearing a motorbike helmet or conversely ask him to please take it off so we can have a good and fair dust up, and when he does you shoot him in the face with your home made zip gun.

*this is not actually advice, don't go making a zip gun to shoot unnaturally fair motorbike thieves*

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

like The Punisher, but I choose my targets based on facebook videos and chain emails

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Willie inching closer to his destiny every day

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Free standing boxing bags!

I'm moving to a new place which has a tiny (but big enough for home practice) outside space, there's a wall but the landlord won't allow for drilling holes in it; so hanging bags are out of the question. I'm aware most free standing bags will move around during use.
Anyone have some recommended brands /things to look out for (central europe/intended for continuous outside use) ? I mainly do Muay Thai and i've been wondering if a bob/human-shaped type free standing bag would be worth it (especially for training aim and precision)

Thanks!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Free standing boxing bags!

I'm moving to a new place which has a tiny (but big enough for home practice) outside space, there's a wall but the landlord won't allow for drilling holes in it; so hanging bags are out of the question. I'm aware most free standing bags will move around during use.
Anyone have some recommended brands /things to look out for (central europe/intended for continuous outside use) ? I mainly do Muay Thai and i've been wondering if a bob/human-shaped type free standing bag would be worth it (especially for training aim and precision)

Thanks!
I'd probably just get a bag with targets (or duct tape with permanent marker) rather than one of those humanoid dummies.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Last night during sparring, one guy got kicked hard in the nuts and was down for awhile. The instructor recommended we get groin protectors, I think only two in the class had them. Any recommendations/advice? I've never worn something like this, and have no clue what I need. It seems super uncomfortable, but less painful than a kick to the balls, I guess. Ideally I could get something that would be easy to put on, only when we were going to spar.

edit- I think I'm going to buy Lo Bloo Thai Cup 2.0. lots of good reviews, and top seller for groin protectors on Amazon.

On an unrelated note, last night I felt a sudden, sharp cramp on my right calf. I stood still and grabbed it with my hand, and the muscle twitched back and forth for 5-6 seconds like a baby alien trying to break out of my body. It was cool.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 14, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Juanito posted:

Last night during sparring, one guy got kicked hard in the nuts and was down for awhile. The instructor recommended we get groin protectors, I think only two in the class had them. Any recommendations/advice? I've never worn something like this, and have no clue what I need. It seems super uncomfortable, but less painful than a kick to the balls, I guess. Ideally I could get something that would be easy to put on, only when we were going to spar.

On an unrelated note, last night I felt a sudden, sharp cramp on my right calf. I stood still and grabbed it with my hand, and the muscle twitched back and forth for 5-6 seconds like a baby alien trying to break out of my body. It was cool.

Either get a normal everyday jock strap or get a full blown groin protector, there is no in between

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

serious post: what does a jock strap offer that other undergarments don't?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

serious post: what does a jock strap offer that other undergarments don't?

a pocket that holds your cup and junk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Either get a normal everyday jock strap or get a full blown groin protector, there is no in between

Yeah, if your groundwork is limited, a boxing groin protector is more comfortable, imo. You wear it on the outside to space it out a bit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seconded? Thirded? The boxing groin protectors are good.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Juanito posted:

edit- I think I'm going to buy Lo Bloo Thai Cup 2.0. lots of good reviews, and top seller for groin protectors on Amazon.

I'm a big fan of the combination compression shorts and groin protector from Hayabusa. The product name is something silly like "Exoforged". Anyway, the shorts have a little pocket in the front that the groin protector slips into, which does a really good job of keeping it in place. It's good for both rolling and any sort of standup fighting that you might do. The only downside is that it's kind of expensive, but sometimes you see the shorts advertised on MMAHQ.com

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Got my Blue Belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Got my Blue Belt.

Congrats!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Got my Blue Belt.

Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of styling on white belts while still getting destroyed by everything above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should be concentrating on as a blue belt? I have been playing a lot of half guard deep half stuff as of late (this morning was the electric chair sweep), but just kind of wondering what I should be doing as a blue belt or any recommendations from previous blue belts on what I should avoid.