Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
All new movies these days are remakes of old classics because original ideas are risky and expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

he's not wrong

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Kemper Boyd posted:

Nyt probably is getting on the bandwagon of getting free clicks from men who get mad online whenever someone mentions white cishet men.

The article is poorly written (as figures, Nyt is a drat joke) and Hyvönen has bad opinions about whiteness (how you can stop being a white hetero male, that is not how structures work) but I think the critique of the new Tuntematon movie is good and not going to an interview with Louhimies is good.

Speaking of which: I talked yesterday with a friend about the new Tuntematon. Does anyone have any sort of idea who wanted it to happen, apart from those in marketing who figured it can be made into a brand? I wouldn't be surprised if it flops in the theaters.

Suomi 100

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The budget is allegedly at 7M euros, so it will need a poo poo load of viewers anyway to recoup the costs. On the other hand, it'll probably be distributed to every tiny local theater in Finland, and stay in theaters for months.

And I'm sure part of the budget is just sponsorship, so they don't need to recoup everything.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Nyt probably is getting on the bandwagon of getting free clicks from men who get mad online whenever someone mentions white cishet men.

The article is poorly written (as figures, Nyt is a drat joke) and Hyvönen has bad opinions about whiteness (how you can stop being a white hetero male, that is not how structures work) but I think the critique of the new Tuntematon movie is good and not going to an interview with Louhimies is good.

Speaking of which: I talked yesterday with a friend about the new Tuntematon. Does anyone have any sort of idea who wanted it to happen, apart from those in marketing who figured it can be made into a brand? I wouldn't be surprised if it flops in the theaters.

It has 5000 followers in Face and 3k in Insta, so I guess your analysis might be sound.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Original and Molberg´s breddy guud version (serious its good) of sarkatakki- adventures cover both heroic warstory of torjuntavoitto and the people´s history of getting shot and killed for Suur- Suomi, I´m curious what the new one will bring to table, long sex scenes and full frontal nudity? This movie really is a tragic missed opportunity, here´s how it should been: In the far future of 23XX, the succession wars rage on ruins of eurostoliitto. Global warming makes living bad and past nuclear exchange makes it worse. On this hellish backdrop FIN khanate of tuohi-augmented techno- barbarians makes war on their enemies, the Kreml blood-tsars and their vat grown clone hordes, both fighting over the privilege of being last to starve in a dying world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

germlin posted:

Original and Molberg´s breddy guud version (serious its good) of sarkatakki- adventures cover both heroic warstory of torjuntavoitto and the people´s history of getting shot and killed for Suur- Suomi, I´m curious what the new one will bring to table

Everything is filtered/processed to look bluish gray because the director is stuck in 1998 vis-à-vis what look cool.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

germlin posted:

I´m curious what the new one will bring to table, long sex scenes and full frontal nudity?

Pop culture references, shakycam, lens flares and grimdark action scenes

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

germlin posted:

Original and Molberg´s breddy guud version (serious its good)

It's the better version.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

It's the better version.

Well duh.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Why would anyone even try to film a war movie with a €7mil budget?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Severe underfunding makes it more realistic.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

bloom posted:

From what I've heard, the production was in trouble because Finland doesn't really have people in the film industry who have experience working with budgets that large. A typical budget is €1.4M.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

bloom posted:

You could film one of the real wars with that money.

Like The Cudgel War.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DanTheFryingPan posted:

From what I've heard, the production was in trouble because Finland doesn't really have people in the film industry who have experience working with budgets that large. A typical budget is €1.4M.

Winter War the movie had a budget of 19 million marks and Mollbergs Unknown 14 million marks. In the 1980s. War movies are not typical.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Winter War the movie had a budget of 19 million marks and Mollbergs Unknown 14 million marks. In the 1980s. War movies are not typical.

Exactly, pretty much all the people working on those in the 80s have retired by now.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
TBH before reading the Kuukausiliite article today I thought the film was going to be some sort of 2010s redux of the 50s Tuntematon, but actually it seems that it's going to be a rather liberal interpretation of Linna's book and will probably piss off literally everyone. For example, it pretty blatantly points out that no, it wasn't a "separate war" because Finland was totally in bed with Nazi Germany and felt good as gently caress about it, but of course on the other hand it will most likely glorify the war effort and the immense sacrifices of ARE HEROIC TROOPS.

Anyway, if this pissing-everyone-off comes true, that makes the film all right in my book. But we'll see (not in cinemas though lol because I sure as hell am not going to pay a single cent for this).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
As far as I remember, it's been a few years since the last time I read it, the book doesn't really go into the larger politics of it or whether the war was separate or not. Also, the book is actually critical of the war, the Sotaromaani version even more so, and it doesn't glorify it, at least not intentionally.

If the new movie is actually going to go into the politics of it that would make it a lot more interesting.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Yeah, the book is pretty apolitical as I remember it, Sotaromaani a little less so. But the truth of the entire separate war thing is anyway being constantly ignored in the Finnish Talvisota mythos, so if Louhimäki's film does bring it up as described in the article (Nazi flags waving alongside Finnish flags in front of Eduskunta etc.), the public discussion will probably be rrrrreeeeaaaaallly interesting.

e: but anyway the film will be compared to the older films, especially the 50s NATIONAL TREASURE version more than to the books, so in that regard it has good piss-off potential.

ALLAN LASSUS fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 7, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Sneak preview of the new Tuntematon Sotilas.

https://youtu.be/0HwrIGeyiK4

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Nazi flags waving alongside Finnish flags in front of Eduskunta

Antti Rokka and the raiders of the lost Sampo? WW2 nazis do add a bit gravitas.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't these fuckos know that the best finnish war film was already made in 2014? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfcfT2cHfno

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I would unironically like to see a properly made film about Seitsemän Veljestä

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

I would unironically like to see a properly made film about Seitsemän Veljestä

I really don't think it lends itself well to cinema.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Or to a book :greenangel:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.hs.fi/nyt/art-2000005401071.html

"Yhtä konkreettista muutosta Taponen silti toivoo sosiaalisessa mediassa. Hänen mukaansa poliisiparodiatilit pitäisi sulkea Twitteristä."

File a criminal report and see how it goes. Police have thus far been less than active in preventing this poo poo.

Also anyone still talking about "ääripäät" even a bigger retard, other obvious things

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I can at least commend Louhimies for forcing everyone in the cast to stay the night in the forest during shooting days.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So apparently the presidenttipeli has been sealed by assholes making a new rear end in a top hat. I just pray for a miscarriage so that loss.jpg would be relevant again.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 9, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm glad the president is taking his nonpartisan role seriously and participating in SDP's "synnytystalkoot". :finland:

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Nenonen posted:

So apparently the presidenttipeli has been sealed by assholes making a new rear end in a top hat. I just pray for a miscarriage so that loss.jpg would be relevant again.

It was sealed as soon as Sale decided to stay for the second term.

Thread! Give me a reason to vote for anything else but empty in this election.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

El Perkele posted:

Peräruiske-Hitler

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

https://www.hs.fi/nyt/art-2000005401071.html

"Yhtä konkreettista muutosta Taponen silti toivoo sosiaalisessa mediassa. Hänen mukaansa poliisiparodiatilit pitäisi sulkea Twitteristä."

File a criminal report and see how it goes. Police have thus far been less than active in preventing this poo poo.

Also anyone still talking about "ääripäät" even a bigger retard, other obvious things
Ah yes, @vihapuhepoliisi, a massive threat to public safety

To sort of paraphrase Halla-aho: The biggest problem for the police is that their presence on twitter is so ridiculous that it's now apparently difficult to tell apart from an obvious parody account.

Let's just ban all parody, lest someone get confused. Free speech is so overrated.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

El Perkele posted:

It was sealed as soon as Sale decided to stay for the second term.

You'd probably vote for LA but Merja Kyllönen is an utter moron. SDP is running a box of cardboard and the Greens will run a neoliberal monster who's essentially Sauli but slightly worse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's the presidential elections so it doesn't matter anyway

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Andrast posted:

It's the presidential elections so it doesn't matter anyway

That's about it. In terms of how much influence elections have in your daily life, the presidential elections have the least.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Rexroom posted:

That's about it. In terms of how much influence elections have in your daily life, the presidential elections have the least.

The prez still has a lot of influence over foreign policy, formally and informally. It's a fairly important position if the foreign affairs minister turns out to be a complete idiot, like now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kemper Boyd posted:

The prez still has a lot of influence over foreign policy, formally and informally. It's a fairly important position if the foreign affairs minister turns out to be a complete idiot, like now.

That's another thing: how much power should the president have in foreign policy? According to law, it is decided by the president "with the government". Niinistö's interpretation of that sentence is that the president decides and the government more or less rubber-stamps his proposals. How you view it might depend on your view of political strongmen like UKK and Paavo Väyrynen.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Rexroom posted:

That's another thing: how much power should the president have in foreign policy? According to law, it is decided by the president "with the government". Niinistö's interpretation of that sentence is that the president decides and the government more or less rubber-stamps his proposals. How you view it might depend on your view of political strongmen like UKK and Paavo Väyrynen.

This is probably a case where, while it might not be generally good, it turned out ok. I don't think a single cabinet for a long while has had this much of a lack of understanding of politics, never mind foreign policy. A more assertive PM might control foreign policy more but Sipilä doesn't seem to be aware of the outside world even existing, apart from being a possible cash source for his relatives.

Niinistö's diplomacy with Russia has been more or less ok, and has preserved the necessary space for Finland to have an actual independent foreign policy.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

El Perkele posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

In ordinary bizarre news, Yle journalist and known idiot Sanna Ukkola tried to get a random Twitter dude fired, backfires (or at least right now it looks like it backfires): http://blogit.image.fi/paivystavaanarkisti/ala-twiittaa-ukkolasta-saatat-saada-potkut/