Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Prav posted:

if he'd just sit down with a micro map and practice for a few hours he could clear protoss 7 with goons np

lol or if he'd just realize that, yes, the pathing is not amazing and you need to work around it, but go ahead and defend the guy that is complaining about mechanical issues in a nearly 20 year old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

lol or if he'd just realize that, yes, the pathing is not amazing and you need to work around it, but go ahead and defend the guy that is complaining about mechanical issues in a nearly 20 year old game.

:smuggo: :smuggo: Well, I guess it's DIFFERENT when you're in a multiplayer game and everyone starts on the same footing. GOOD LUCK trying to move dragoons into the ENTRENCHED AI in a campaign mission. :smuggo: :smuggo:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like the last time I did the campaign I just a-moved goon/reaver everywhere.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
People were mostly talking about the funny little stairs in the campaign missions that don't exist in multiplayer.

Like those on the right side. I'm sure most of us remember wrestling goliaths up them. Or Dragoons up the equivalent in protoss maps. I don't believe they're used in real competitive maps... for good reason.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

No Wave posted:

People were mostly talking about the funny little stairs in the campaign missions that don't exist in multiplayer.

Like those on the right side. I'm sure most of us remember wrestling goliaths up them. Or Dragoons up the equivalent in protoss maps. I don't believe they're used in real competitive maps... for good reason.

It would be rad if someone hacked the installation tileset into a melee map though

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

WDIIA posted:

Group A : Also kinda legit shocked that neither Mong nor Shine, who both looked like straight killers in there groups, didn't make it out. But Baxter really did play well. Maybe mutas are coming back into the meta?

Those two did look like they'd be tough to beat, but it seems to me that this ASL more guys have their act together. It seems more competitive on the whole. Of course, ASL won't have truly "arrived" until we see Flash upset by some teenage wünderkind.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

No ASL this weekend??

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

dogmother1776 posted:

No ASL this weekend??

probably delayed because of GSL super tournament this weekend

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Are tastosis doing GSL? Is that star2 or bw?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Elephunk posted:

They are. GSL is always Starcraft 2 afaik.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Elephunk posted:

yeah, 'regular' GSL is the premier SC2 league and super tournaments are weekend cups, almost always cast by tastosis. day 1 just finished so the vod should be up any minute now at https://go.twitch.tv/gsl

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/20848130/starcraft-beginning-end-legend-jaedong

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

:smith: Hopefully he does well for the rest of the ASL.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is Tooth and Tail as fun as Artosis makes it sound?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
So Fish, which for a long long time was the major Korean server, has closed down. It's a bit of a surprise to me after the included Fish support in 1.18, but there you go.

There's a lot of gnashing of teeth on TL (of course), but I don't know enough to say what really went down. What is of note, and its why I'm posting it here, is that it may signal a bit of a retreat of the Koreans from 1.8/SC:R back towards 1.16.1. It's also not good that the prime circuit for Korea players went away, even if MMR is much better in SCR (which I can't really comment on personally)

Also gently caress the GSL Super Tournament for making this a week without Good Starcraft

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Wow. That's really lovely and weird.

Unrelated white person opinion on MMR.

After 100+ games I am still 1500 MMR... I'll lose a couple, get to 1400 or so, climb back up, lose to some Smurfs. Maybe hit 1650 or so, lose a couple, really lose to some Smurfs and then wind back up at 1500 after 10 games.

It also doesn't help that I swear every time I win a game (or three in a row) to, the ladder bugs out and gives me no MMR. Then, on the fourth game, you lose and WHAM all of a sudden the system works again! -22 MMR.

The lag bothers me more than any of that, but it's still nice to have a "play BW in 10 seconds" button.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

4 base soulkey destroys 6 base meching flash with hydra queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfbQ_Al8sU&feature=youtu.be&t=2h31m30s

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

soulkey is #1 ranked for October so far with 80% win rate

Flash #2 with 41% win rate

jaedong #3 with 80% win rate

The September ladder was flash #1, jaedong #2, soulkey #3. Although ranked lower, soulkey's win rate was much higher than jaedong.

according to http://sponbbang.com

Group D looking good

dogmother1776 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 5, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

WDIIA posted:

So Fish, which for a long long time was the major Korean server, has closed down. It's a bit of a surprise to me after the included Fish support in 1.18, but there you go.

There's a lot of gnashing of teeth on TL (of course), but I don't know enough to say what really went down. What is of note, and its why I'm posting it here, is that it may signal a bit of a retreat of the Koreans from 1.8/SC:R back towards 1.16.1. It's also not good that the prime circuit for Korea players went away, even if MMR is much better in SCR (which I can't really comment on personally)

Also gently caress the GSL Super Tournament for making this a week without Good Starcraft

I think Fish closed due to funds and their "matchmaking" being outdated. They used to support themselves with ads from their special launcher and the banner in battle.net menus. The launcher was bundled with spyware and would open advertisers websites whenever you closed it. Now that everything is through the blizzard launcher they're not getting any of that ad revenue, and blizzard obviously isn't giving them any money.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

dogmother1776 posted:

4 base soulkey destroys 6 base meching flash with hydra queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfbQ_Al8sU&feature=youtu.be&t=2h31m30s

This is very cool and I'd love to see that from Flash's POV. He felt vaguely over extended along the map but I can't tell if:
a) mech normally holds that vs non queen styles
b) he was out of position consistently
c) He over greeded thinking he can hold with what he had instead of investing more in AA / More Tanks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jfc blizz is now releasing those dumbass dev update vids for this.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Just started playing. I'm pretty awful but the computer players aren't a challenge at all. Should I just jump into 1v1 ranked and start getting my rear end kicked?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sub Harrison posted:

Just started playing. I'm pretty awful but the computer players aren't a challenge at all. Should I just jump into 1v1 ranked and start getting my rear end kicked?

Hell yeah dude

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Last night's games weren't bad, but they weren't amazing either

I did like Mind's winner's interview, though

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Man, carriers on Crossing Field seem unstoppable.

Also, no Tasteless :(

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Ro 16 Group C on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCf_EgtlyzQ

The probe harass in the first game was fun to watch; I didn't even know you could do that. None of the games were particularly close though, a little bit disappointing. Huge mistakes in a couple of the games that you wouldn't really expect at this level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they really should cancel these games if they can't have both guys casting. i legit don't watch if one is missing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

they really should cancel these games if they can't have both guys casting. i legit don't watch if one is missing.

If more than like 10-15% of the audience doesn't speak Korean, I'd be surprised. I think the foreign audience is a bonus, not something they actually build around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm an american and i demand they cater to my whims!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah, no tasteless was kinda wack but it happens pretty often.

PvT on crossing fields looks pretty figured out at this point... That map is built for 3 base carrier like no other. Can't wait to see Flash totally flip it on some toss

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elephunk posted:

Yeah, no tasteless was kinda wack but it happens pretty often.

PvT on crossing fields looks pretty figured out at this point... That map is built for 3 base carrier like no other. Can't wait to see Flash totally flip it on some toss

I feel like there's always a window to exploit in tvp carriers (watching, not playing obviously), whether that means pushing for the win or good old flash style mass goliath killing interceptors. Also I loved Bisu's pvp, showcasing how good micro can win bad engagements or build order matchups.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'd be happy with just about anyone but rapid filling in

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Prav posted:

i'd be happy with just about anyone but rapid filling in

:agreed:

He's gotten a little better analysis-wise, but his high-pitched voice crossed with a heavy American accent is harsh on the ears.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

there's something puppy-like about rapid where he's objectively bad, but god bless him he's energetic and trying hard and just self aware enough that i kind of like him.

it's low praise but i would take him over GTR

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Tastless is back for Group D

First two games have been p. good

Also on top of the official broadcast 30,000 people were watching Bisu's stream during Jaedong v Stork

Antares posted:

it's low praise but i would take him over GTR

I feel so loving dirty finding myself agreeing with this

EDIT: JD :smith:

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 10, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

not reading thread, see lots of posts, can't wait to watch these vods later

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

game 1 was possibly the best match in any ASL so far :O

jaedong choosing GOAT starcraft song for intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mLFhcOsxE

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It was a very good set of games overall

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Game 1 and 2 were super awesome in Group D. dongr 4 life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Game 1 and 2 were super awesome in Group D. dongr 4 life

Except this is probably his last tournament and he's been knocked out so that might be the last time you see him unfortunately :(