Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

hooah posted:

Huh. My wife's been using an iPhone since before we met in 2011 and I never knew about that gesture.

I have an iPhone at work and didn't know about that gesture haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Jacobus Spades posted:

A lot of people get this in both directions. I think the biggest fundamental difference would probably be how the back button works; since it's always available apps are designed to keep track of your "navigation path" and send you back to where you accessed the app from. For example, if you open a link in an IM and it pulls up the browser hitting Back will send you back to the IM, while accessing the browser directly will make it navigate back one page.

I like this about Android except when apps don't do it. For example Twitter. I would expect i click a link, read a tweet, hit back and go back to the app that sent me there. It never does. YouTube is the same. I just saw it with the Amazon app when i clicked on the screen protector someone linked a few posts ago. Back didnt bring me back here until i hit it three times. Is this a setting I'm missing in these apps? It drives me nuts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Clicking a web link from Fenix takes you to Chrome as expected but then hitting back goes back to Fenix while leaving Chrome running but closing that tab, and it's no huge deal, but it always reminds me that this isn't 100% figured out yet as a concept.

I guess it makes more sense if you leave Chrome open all the time with other tabs but I was raised on MSDOS/Win3.1 and compulsively close everything I'm not using and in that case it's weird.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Manually closing apps is less efficient than letting the OS choose when to close apps. Has been the case on phones for years now. Besides a few exceptions of poorly made apps (usually games) that chew up background battery.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

myron cope posted:

I like this about Android except when apps don't do it. For example Twitter. I would expect i click a link, read a tweet, hit back and go back to the app that sent me there. It never does. YouTube is the same. I just saw it with the Amazon app when i clicked on the screen protector someone linked a few posts ago. Back didnt bring me back here until i hit it three times. Is this a setting I'm missing in these apps? It drives me nuts.

It's up to devs to implement the correct behavior so outside of pestering them to fix it there's unfortunately not much to be done.

However there is a handy shortcut to switch between the most recent apps by double tapping the Recent Apps icon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got Firefox on my galaxy note 3, and it updated at some point, and now holding on the screen to save or whatever with images now just selects the image for copy/etc. Is this a phone change or a Firefox change, and how do I return it to how it was before?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What launcher is that, you madman?

Square Home 2. If you just select one of the presets at launch then it does look pretty normal, but who would want that?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The absolutely worst part of switching to Android was having a 16000-song, 160 GB iTunes library on the Mac, all rated, with auto playlists of the type "6GB, 3+ stars, sorted by least played" that synced when connecting the iPhone. No MTP support in macOS is a dick move.

Then I found MusicBee on Windows and everything is rainbows again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There are more that came from Windows Phone to android (well, I've been using both for years but still). :getin:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got Firefox on my galaxy note 3, and it updated at some point, and now holding on the screen to save or whatever with images now just selects the image for copy/etc. Is this a phone change or a Firefox change, and how do I return it to how it was before?

On my Firefox, if I hold an image it opens a dialog with two tabs, one for link (with copy/open in new tab), another for the image (share/save). Does yours not have the two tabs?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can someone please confirm if Cortana is available in Canada? I'm a recent Windows Phone refugee and was going to get an iPhone for better security, but I'll roll those dice if I can have better integration with my Windows devices.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had the opposite problem coming from Windows Phone, in that I was so used to the tightly compacted design of the live tile system that I couldn't get used to the Android home screen. Then I found a decent launcher and the rest is history:

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff right there. :unsmigghh:

What launcher is this? I need to try it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Winpho officially dead, rip

Joe Belfiore, Microsoft's vice president of Windows Experience, confirmed on Sunday that the company doesn't plan new features or hardware for the the Windows 10 Mobile smartphone platform.

"Of course we'll continue to support the platform.. bug fixes, security updates, etc. But building new features/hw aren't the focus," he wrote in a tweet on Sunday.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Reading about LG's issues with P-OLED is fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sheeple posted:

What launcher is this? I need to try it.

HomeSquare 2. The initial defaults are a lot more sensible dull than mine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Xz1 compact is supposedly getting over 14 hours of sot.

Edit:

23 hours of 3g talk.
14 hours of Web browsing.
15 hours of video.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

HomeSquare 2. The initial defaults are a lot more sensible dull than mine.

With the confirmed death of Windows Phone (official by Microsoft), is all we have left. Our little tiles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guillermus posted:

With the confirmed death of Windows Phone (official by Microsoft), is all we have left. Our little tiles.

Windows Mobile the smartphone OS is dead, but they're still cracking on with ARM and CShell for desktop Windows, so a mobile PC with basic smartphone functionality is still a very likely and interesting possibility in the next year or so. But with Edge now coming to Android and iOS and the vastly improved Continue On PC feature in the Fall Creators Update, there really is no reason to stick with Windows for your actual smartphone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ratbert90 posted:

The Xz1 compact is supposedly getting over 14 hours of sot
Does it still have a fingerprint sensor installed but disabled for no discernible reason

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows Mobile the smartphone OS is dead, but they're still cracking on with ARM and CShell for desktop Windows, so a mobile PC with basic smartphone functionality is still a very likely and interesting possibility in the next year or so. But with Edge now coming to Android and iOS and the vastly improved Continue On PC feature in the Fall Creators Update, there really is no reason to stick with Windows for your actual smartphone.

Edge in name only

quote:

Be that as it may, Microsoft hopes the look and feel of Edge transferred to a smartphone interface will make Windows 10 users more comfortable. It won't help Windows 10 developers. For, you see, the look and feel is about all that's being transferred.

Under the surface of the new Edge iPhone lies the open-source WebKit. This is Apple's Safari default web engine. On iOS, Microsoft had no choice but to use WebKit. Apple insists all iPhone web browsers are built on top of it.

The Android Edge app, meanwhile. will use the Google's open-source Chromium Blink engine. Microsoft isn't trying to port its Microsoft EdgeHTML rendering engine to either platform.

Also lol at this

quote:

The reign of the smartphone, championed by the 10-year-old iPhone, as the epicenter of innovation is over, according to Alex Kipman, the main inventor of Microsoft's holographic headset, the HoloLens.

"The phone is already dead. People just haven't realized," he told Bloomberg. According to Kipman, the platform to replace the phone will be a mixed-reality device like HoloLens.

Kipman believes the HoloLens's projection capabilities make it a natural successor to anything with a screen, including phones and TVs, he recently told Business Insider.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hololens is cool as poo poo, and Microsoft is doing lots of work to make the PC experience more like the phone experience (around procurement and deployment and updating, not necessarily functionality). They're also working on simpler cheaper Windows devices for what they're calling "first line" employees in a business, like sales people or workers on a factory floor, that will start to blur the line between what a person thinks is a "phone" and what someone thinks is a "computer."

orange sky
May 7, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Hololens is cool as poo poo, and Microsoft is doing lots of work to make the PC experience more like the phone experience (around procurement and deployment and updating, not necessarily functionality). They're also working on simpler cheaper Windows devices for what they're calling "first line" employees in a business, like sales people or workers on a factory floor, that will start to blur the line between what a person thinks is a "phone" and what someone thinks is a "computer."

Give it up Nadella, the jig's up

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blue Train posted:

Edge in name only

It looks the same and syncs my stuff, and that's all I really care about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

orange sky posted:

Give it up Nadella, the jig's up

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Combat Pretzel posted:

Reading about LG's issues with P-OLED is fun.

Was there a post here that I skipped or do you have a link?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows Mobile the smartphone OS is dead, but they're still cracking on with ARM and CShell for desktop Windows, so a mobile PC with basic smartphone functionality is still a very likely and interesting possibility in the next year or so.

lol this is what you're asking for.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

In my mind something like the DeX will probably be the future of enterprise computing.

"take your computer with you and be totally ready to work anywhere you are!"

(also, a lot of kids are growing up with iOS and Android so that's what kids are going to want to use when they grow up, like it happened with us and Windows)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Does it still have a fingerprint sensor installed but disabled for no discernible reason

Yes, but it's usually a very easy thing to turn on. I think it's some patent bullshit thing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Growing up with Windows drove me to linux

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It very much isn't what I'm asking for. CShell is an updated UI currently in development that combines the mobile and desktop UIs, so when you're on a smartphone sized display it looks like Windows Mobile, then changes to the traditional desktop view when you hook it to an external display (Continuum sort of does this already, but you have to run all apps in full screen and can't multitask, so it's severely hobbled). Every Continuum enabled phone uses a dock to provide extra ports as well, rather than jamming them on the device and turning it into a wedge.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Microsoft has pissed me off in how they handled the entire mobile thing since 6.X.

First the killing of Zune and Metro as a interface that was at the time, better than Android and iOS in many ways. If anything it was pleasing to look at and kept music and other things from being stagnant and boring. Also the Zune HD had that 3D Tilt to its UI that was also pretty neat. Zune was literally Spotify years before they even existed...

Then WP7 came out, limited but it was fast and what it did do, it did well.

Killed that for WP8.. Soo reboot for users and app devs that now have to support 2 different OS'es in a way. Also Zune died in favor of Xbox Music, a worse music streaming and social platform in every single way. The app was terrible.

Then 8.1 only on some of the phones.... Well great.. And Xbox Music changed to Groove music which got a smidge better (hey I can listen to my music from OneDrive or on a Nas on my Network for once, again, which I was able to do fine with Zune before)... And the app crashes less, but still can't stream for crap on the go.

Then 10 on only a handful of those phones, and literally no new phones outside of the drat Enterprise. And Groove is now dead.. Good riddance.

They had potential coming from 6.X and they killed it again and again so many times, along with not releasing near enough new hardware past 8.1 that it was doomed to fail, not because of the market itself, but because of Microsoft themselves. :argh:

Also Windows Phone over BT alone in cars works a ton better than Android (Pixels so far) in cars for doing things hands free. Cortana will say you have a Text from "Person" and ask if you want to read or ignore, and replying to it is similar and easy as pie.

Android just dings at you and you either have to touch the screen to have Robot Betty read it to you, and responding is a whole process on that. Having to go to 3rd party apps to somewhat recreate the control that for all purposes should be native over a BT system. WTF Google.

The transition from WP8.1/10 on Nokia Lumia Icons to Pixels has been a little bit of a process for may parents. The Icons were fantastic devices until they inevitably start having their own hardware issues. (Loose Data needing a reboot, random reboots, or other issues, needing a reboot to fix). The OS itself if you don't need a ton of apps, really is just extremely solid for Calls/Test/E-Mail/Pictures/Web if you mostly do just that.

I used to be a big fan but Microsoft took so many good ideas and products (remember the Microsoft Band which sold out each time they released it, and while being rubbish long term hardware, was a really good fitness/smartwatch OS?) and just let them rot or get replaced with inferior products that they just kill anyway.

We have Windows 10, we have Xbox, and the Cloud/Office side, but man has Microsoft just dumped the consumer side they had every chance to dominate in if they didn't just crap all over the consumers that actually gave them a shot.

Google and other companies aren't immune to this either, (remember the Nexus Q?) but watching it happen since the Windows Mobile 2003+ days to today, it's amazing how much those devices could do way back then, and then just rise and fall the way they did... Corporate Stagnation and all that really sucks.. Intel also is in the same boat and I am salty about them as well. Screw you and your $1500 minimum buy in for more than 28 PCI-E Lanes.

Phone case talk, I used to run naked with just a glass screen protector and for the most part, my devices held up rather Ok. Haven't had to replace a devices screen yet. But the Nexus 6P was made out of aluminum butter so I had to get a clear ultra hybrid case for it to keep it from scratching all to hell on its chamfered edges.

Pixel XL2 will probably have a similar case and hope to God the glass protectors for it are shaped correctly. The ones for the Essential Phone were a disaster and the only device I have had issues with halo edges before. I have never had issues with touch sensitivity with a protector though. If anything the device either has issues or It doesn't all on its own.

I know the ship date on mine is November 20th, but didn't last years orders ship earlier in some cases or am I just wishful remembering?

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sereri posted:

Was there a post here that I skipped or do you have a link?
Just random poo poo in forums and /r/android.

Basically LG is having the sort of uniformity issues that Samsung had long ago, and it seems not so rare.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Microsoft has pissed me off in how they handled the entire mobile thing since 6.X.

First the killing of Zune and Metro as a interface that was at the time, better than Android and iOS in many ways. If anything it was pleasing to look at and kept music and other things from being stagnant and boring. Also the Zune HD had that 3D Tilt to its UI that was also pretty neat. Zune was literally Spotify years before they even existed...

Then WP7 came out, limited but it was fast and what it did do, it did well.

Killed that for WP8.. Soo reboot for users and app devs that now have to support 2 different OS'es in a way. Also Zune died in favor of Xbox Music, a worse music streaming and social platform in every single way. The app was terrible.

Then 8.1 only on some of the phones.... Well great.. And Xbox Music changed to Groove music which got a smidge better (hey I can listen to my music from OneDrive or on a Nas on my Network for once, again, which I was able to do fine with Zune before)... And the app crashes less, but still can't stream for crap on the go.

Then 10 on only a handful of those phones, and literally no new phones outside of the drat Enterprise. And Groove is now dead.. Good riddance.

They had potential coming from 6.X and they killed it again and again so many times, along with not releasing near enough new hardware past 8.1 that it was doomed to fail, not because of the market itself, but because of Microsoft themselves. :argh:

I used to be a big fan but Microsoft took so many good ideas and products (remember the Microsoft Band which sold out each time they released it, and while being rubbish long term hardware, was a really good fitness/smartwatch OS?) and just let them rot or get replaced with inferior products that they just kill anyway.

We have Windows 10, we have Xbox, and the Cloud/Office side, but man has Microsoft just dumped the consumer side they had every chance to dominate in if they didn't just crap all over the consumers that actually gave them a shot.

Google and other companies aren't immune to this either, (remember the Nexus Q?) but watching it happen since the Windows Mobile 2003+ days to today, it's amazing how much those devices could do way back then, and then just rise and fall the way they did... Corporate Stagnation and all that really sucks.. Intel also is in the same boat and I am salty about them as well. Screw you and your $1500 minimum buy in for more than 28 PCI-E Lanes.

Phone case talk, I used to run naked with just a glass screen protector and for the most part, my devices held up rather Ok. Haven't had to replace a devices screen yet. But the Nexus 6P was made out of aluminum butter so I had to get a clear ultra hybrid case for it to keep it from scratching all to hell on its chamfered edges.

Pixel XL2 will probably have a similar case and hope to God the glass protectors for it are shaped correctly. The ones for the Essential Phone were a disaster and the only device I have had issues with halo edges before. I have never had issues with touch sensitivity with a protector though. If anything the device either has issues or It doesn't all on its own.

I know the ship date on mine is November 20th, but didn't last years orders ship earlier in some cases or am I just wishful remembering?

Microsoft is a toxic company dominated by internal politics and power struggles. That's basically the whole reason. That and annual bonuses. Their entire compensation program needs to burn to the ground and be recreated from the ground up.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

orange sky posted:

Microsoft is a toxic company dominated by internal politics and power struggles. That's basically the whole reason. That and annual bonuses. Their entire compensation program needs to burn to the ground and be recreated from the ground up.

Agreed. Though isn't that almost all old tech Corps at the moment?

And I feel old Ballmer had good hope and drive for Windows Phone and Consumers overall, and while Nadella fixed some stuff with Windows core OS just neutered everything else that was Interesting and potentially exciting. Is Surface next to get the Axe after being great up until recently with the stagnation of hardware?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Agreed. Though isn't that almost all old tech Corps at the moment?

And I feel old Ballmer had good hope and drive for Windows Phone and Consumers overall, and while Nadella fixed some stuff with Windows core OS just neutered everything else that was Interesting and potentially exciting. Is Surface next to get the Axe after being great up until recently with the stagnation of hardware?

Yes, I'd guess IBM is pretty similar, with comparable results.

Where I think Microsoft has failed terribly is estimating what failures in software lead to, underestimating the impact of a bug (you couldn't press the start button ocasionally in some W10 releases).

They've had a monopoly for so long on the enterprise OS market that they can completely gently caress everything up in a patch and lose no costumers because no one can teach 5000 50 year olds to use another operating system in practical time. That's going to radically change once a new generation comes to work.

They make bad choices in pretty much everything - they extend support way too long instead of giving people the proper tools to upgrade and making it seamless (it makes more money) and they completely poo poo the bed on a regular basis regarding QA (it saves more money).

I've seen some differences in recent Microsoft products (acquisitions that didn't completely screw the product like Advanced Threat Analytics and Cloud App Security) but the operating system, the basis of it all, has the potential to screw everything up for them due to lack of quality control. (And imo they know that's coming.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Ballmer was hot trash and Nadella is good.

On topic, I'm thinking of using glass screen protectors for my 2XL not necessarily for protection, but because I hate it when phone screens lose that oleophobic coating and if I could just swap on a new protector, that would be awesome. Good idea? Recommended brands?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

orange sky posted:

Yeah, implementing a Randian system that pits not only department against department but employee against employee isn't such a good idea when all your products are made by huge teams that depend on collaboration.

"Downsizing" all your QA isn't helpful either, suddenly there were weekly and daily headlines about broken updates, updates destroying PCs and everything loving up. It took the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book over six month to become useable and dependable.

Then having no strategy, faith or trust in your products or fostering the impression in your customers that you won't support products. Why should anyone buy a hardware product or buy into their ecosystem outside of enterprise and desktop Windows, when they will abandon it inside of a generation anyway? They change their App and service strategy more often than Google does their messaging App.

Oh yeah, and specific to mobile: Starting with a extremely bare-bones system, that develops like molasses and has no Apps and not fixing either. What's the use when it looks slick and is extremely fast, when you can't do basic functions and have none of the most basic Apps and services? When Blackberry crumbled MS had nothing in place to step in and take up the users. It was easier to get Android and iOS devices to work with Active Directory than a Windows Phone device. Mindboggling.

If they didn't have such an iron grip on the server and infrastructure market and office software they would be in really dire straits.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ballmer was hot trash and Nadella is good.

On topic, I'm thinking of using glass screen protectors for my 2XL not necessarily for protection, but because I hate it when phone screens lose that oleophobic coating and if I could just swap on a new protector, that would be awesome. Good idea? Recommended brands?

Yes, and wait until they arrive on Amazon. If you pay more than $9 for a 2 pack you're overpaying. However until we have actual units in the wild and get to see how they are sealing to the new 3D screen, we don't know yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yes, and wait until they arrive on Amazon. If you pay more than $9 for a 2 pack you're overpaying. However until we have actual units in the wild and get to see how they are sealing to the new 3D screen, we don't know yet.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully they aren't a pain to apply, I gave up on dbrand skins because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

The Xz1 compact is supposedly getting over 14 hours of sot.

Edit:

23 hours of 3g talk.
14 hours of Web browsing.
15 hours of video.

gently caress me, I don't want my Axon 7 to break but I kind want it to break.