Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

They've looked stupidly dominant the times I tuned in.

They're 0-3. They're not going to win a SINGLE game this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

take it back

#gsg #patfo

Now look up Chip Butty

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ahhh yes a few highlight plays in the preseason, good to see solid proof that Melo has fully corrected a career's worth of terrible habits and will no longer regress to lazy, selfish basketball whenever he encounters the slightest opposition

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

They're 0-3. They're not going to win a SINGLE game this season.

Heck I know you're just joshin' me here, but the Brooklyn Nets are currently 3-0 and will most certainly carry that streak into the regular season. I'm expecting at least 50 wins if they're allowed to keep playing the Knicks every other game.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

take it back

#gsg #patfo

Salt and Pepper is probably too spicy for the kind of people that would eat this

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spacebump posted:

What kind of stats are people expecting Melo to put up this season? I'm guessing somewhere around 18-20 ppg, 6 boards, and 3 assists. While I may not think he will be amazing this season, I do think he will be a good 3rd option for this team.

Another good question is who is better the Rockets or the Thunder? The Thunder may have added Paul George and Melo (plus lost Kanter), but the Rockets adding Chris Paul is a bigger deal. Chris Paul is much better then either George or Melo. It's hard to decide which of these teams should be better but I would guess the Rockets.
Also, if Ryan Anderson has a comeback year it will be at least 50% due to Chris Paul's presence.

One of those teams should be in the West Final. With any luck, both will be.

'Tis a glorious thing to contemplate *dibs fedora*

predicto posted:

He's Cubist. A living Picasso.

lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Heck I know you're just joshin' me here, but the Brooklyn Nets are currently 3-0 and will most certainly carry that streak into the regular season. I'm expecting at least 50 wins if they're allowed to keep playing the Knicks every other game.

I actually agree with you. I've never joked in my life.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Salt and Pepper is probably too spicy for the kind of people that would eat this

People don't eat those because they have bland taste buds, they do it because it's cheap and filling.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

They've looked stupidly dominant the times I tuned in.

up until the 3rd quarter when it's Tiny Kay and the Far Enders

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
whoa ESPN posted an informative and factual article:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20949176/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-including-kyle-kuzma-unexpected-hot-shooting

Some nice info on comparable predictivity of College v. Summer League v. Preseason

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

up until the 3rd quarter when it's Tiny Kay and the Far Enders

ahh well there goes the Big "Bron and His Neverending Bench Boys" squad name. Turns out there is an end to the bench

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ive been thinking about it and i love Karl Anthony Towns so much

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

What kind of stats are people expecting Melo to put up this season? I'm guessing somewhere around 18-20 ppg, 6 boards, and 3 assists. While I may not think he will be amazing this season, I do think he will be a good 3rd option for this team.

Another good question is who is better the Rockets or the Thunder? The Thunder may have added Paul George and Melo (plus lost Kanter), but the Rockets adding Chris Paul is a bigger deal. Chris Paul is much better then either George or Melo. It's hard to decide which of these teams should be better but I would guess the Rockets.
Also, if Ryan Anderson has a comeback year it will be at least 50% due to Chris Paul's presence.

Counterpoint Russ is better than all those players and okc getting him help while both on and off the court makes okc a better team

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

the only problem with the rockets, if it even is a problem, is their predictable offense which refuses to play the mid range. chris paul is deadly in the midrange and i think it will take time for him to adjust his game to the system.
paul should help this. harden has the greenlight there also, which means the primary ball handler always will. I'm curious to see if D'Antoni integrates some off the ball movement for Harden or Paul when they're both on the court that could bring in some more open mid range shots.

Also as an aside, I think everyone is way too down on Ryan Anderson. He is definitely overpaid, and almost certainly that is why Houston couldn't land Melo. And he was inconsistent last year. But he still drills 3s and now has james harden AND chris paul getting him open looks. Hes not a 20mil player but he is a really nice role player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's loving basketball time you young boys and you horny adult men. Someone should make a preaseasonining GDT and a meet the team thread

Eric Bledsoe is still on the block, Tyson chandler is not

Reggie Jackson will make his season debut tonight

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's loving basketball time you young boys and you horny adult men. Someone should make a preaseasonining GDT and a meet the team thread

Eric Bledsoe is still on the block, Tyson chandler is not

Reggie Jackson will make his season debut tonight

Preseason GDT is here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836052&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

We do need a Meet the Team thread.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Thank you

Also, we need one more and maybe two but definitely one person for our fyad/NV fanty league, pm me your email if you want in, drafting on sunday at 8 pm

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently OKC almost lost to an Australian team, and now I want to change some of my survey answers.

It was a really good game, I suggest finding a replay of it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo thanks for reminding me, I always miss the cutoff to get into a fantasy league...this is the year I'll finally play again. just wish I had enough friends into basketball to do one among them
it's gonna be sad & weird playing fantasy in a world where I can no longer depend on Kenny Faried to carry everything

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Rick lights the Kobe signal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My Basketball league is also looking for one more if anyone is interested. Draft is also Sunday night though so that might be an issue with someone who wants to join both :v:

Also you should all go to the fantasy basketball thread and chat because it's barren and I want to talk with people about it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

what time sunday night

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/917464951526174720

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AggressivelyStupid posted:

what time sunday night

6:45 central

Also for NBA content: Zach Lowe did his team tiers: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20960590/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-tiers-ratings

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
(reading a 6,500 word article) Can't wait to get to Zach Lowe's thoughts about the Bulls!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Meet the Fuckin' Team: take a look at these assholes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A fun stat I saw on reddit:

Klay had more off screen plays than 20 other NBA teams (and only missed the Grizzlies by ten)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Just checked the Spurs schedule to see if there are any games I can go to when I go home for Christmas this year and the only home games are the drat Knicks and Nets.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd imagine this is largely optics and Wade will be subbed out early to then come back in with the reserves.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/917502978533330944

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836979 MEET THE TEAM THREAD

OPTIMISTIC

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Embiid

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Boredumb posted:

Rick lights the Kobe signal

Oh gently caress god drat poo poo motherfucker I'll edit after skool

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Oh Sixers

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I love Embiid and I hope he ends up in the HoF but hoooo boy I'm glad that's not my money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/917503558798495744

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

Look at players 6-10 on those rosters.

The Melo trade was good for the Thunder and I think he'll probably rebound somewhat. I'm more interested in seeing whether they can keep Paul George after this year. He's about the same age as Westbrook and you can count on Presti to restock the cupboard with good drafting after this year.

I think people have sort of underrated Anderson because of all the talk about them having to pay to get rid of his contract. It's not a good contract but the spacing he provides was pretty important to their offense (perhaps less so now that they can cover all 48 minutes with high-quality point guardery, he may lose some minutes to PJ Tucker, Nene if he's healthy, etc).

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Mama mia at that Embiid deal

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

that sure is a gamble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

haha good for him

• Locked thread