Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

like I have no idea how 3.0 is right now

but I can tell you it's most likely months out from being stable

they'll probably try to shove something out before they end of the year to a wider audience, but it's going to disappoint a lot of people

you included

it kinda sucks, but dream time is over. now you get to really see you cash went to making a barely functioning game

the real kicker is that it's just bad. it's a bad game even if it launched with no bugs

it's a bad loving game

have you factored they said he couldn't do it BUT HE DID IT in your assessment that the video game is a bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The version number is 3.0, but how do the actual features compare with what they promised a year ago? It's not even close is it?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think you'll find imaginary triumph and spite makes even the shittiest poorly managed project into something very special and a good use of those thousands I didn't need anyway

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man it's almost like having an NDA on something as stupid as a pre-release patch for a pre-release game opens up a huge empty void for people to speculate in and nobody actually knows what the gently caress is going on, huh guys?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Meanwhile, in Cambridge..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVnk3yT2Lgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qSX0kkUbgU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fairly impressive how they were able to obtain dinosaurs and mocap them.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Fairly impressive how they were able to obtain dinosaurs and mocap them.

Sandi has been on worse roles in the past.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Should've just bought the rights to Aurora and slapped a visualizer over it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That's gorgeous, but not enough feathers :colbert:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Toops posted:

Did you play D:OS1? If so, is there anything in the game mechanics in 2 that differentiates?

lol listen to us, talking about game mechanics for an actual video game and not just dreaming up unfathomably complex fantasies about how awesome this video game's mechanics will be later, just as soon as it revolutionizes everything we thought we knew about what's possible.
To add on to what Bofast said there's mainly been a lot of stream lining. Some stats have been merged, AP is now a flat 4 as standard as opposed to being calculated by stats (that no longer exist), the way armour/barriers works was changed a lot and the way status effects/knockdowns work was pretty dramatically changed too. Nothing that really breaks up the core game play loop, just QoL changes that reduce the micromanagement required. From less of a direct game play perspective everything being voice acted is new too I think and their story telling has also come a long way, for a lot of D:OS1 I had no idea what I was doing or why I was doing it. They apparently fixed that in the Enhanced Edition but I never played much of that. There was also no "competitive co-op", it was just a standard party RPG for whatever that ends up being worth.

D:OS1 was a good game, D:OS2 feels like a pretty notable improvement across the board.

I can't believe that when I finally catch up my first post is about a different game and the thread is facing down the full force of the goon conquering 3.0. I guess the thread will die as it lived... rubbing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Sandi has been on worse roles in the past.
She's been the cleverest girl since she was a little girl.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

tooterfish posted:

She's been the cleverest girl since she was a little girl.

shoot her imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
please don't shoot endangered species, cloned or otherwise

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I brought it up in stream and was told that their IP forced them to do that since they have to have everything look like the movies. So Jurassic Park the movie needs to get with the times first and stop depicting on the big screen fake looking dinosaurs that never existed as shown.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Enchanted Hat posted:

lol, subtle work there, CIG

Why do they even bother being all secret police about the test build? It was obviously going to get leaked, and goons were always going to say that it's poo poo and make fun of it, and citizens were always going to say that it's amazing and defend it. Why not just let it happen?

Because people are still viewing it as a "game in development".

It's not though. It's a "money making vehicle".

The more it looks like all your dreams are coming true, and the more reality of what it really is they can obfuscate, the more money they make.

I have no doubt there are people buying it probably daily and saying "how do I start Squadron 42? I don't see the menu option for it" and "how do I customize my character?" These deluded buyers are still supporting CIG because they've been fooled into thinking the product is significantly further along than it really is.

I'm hoping there's some quality 3.0 stuff to prove me wrong; but I doubt it. :confused:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
New leak from the guy who leaked the other stuff. Looks like he's successfully removed the watermark with a neato filter as well as blurred the names. This leads me to believe we should expect more/longer leaks in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wMcs-2lbQ

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thatguy posted:

New leak from the guy who leaked the other stuff. Looks like he's successfully removed the watermark with a neato filter as well as blurred the names. This leads me to believe we should expect more/longer leaks in the future.
Looks amazing. Definitely well worth the 2 years of dev time.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Looks amazing. Definitely well worth the 2 years of dev time.
Umm actually development didn't start until 2 weeks ago, idiot.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek, baby: you originally said 3.0 didn't exist, couldn't exist. And yet, it's out to a testing group and soon the whole pop. Whyyyyyy should anyone believe any of the drivel that you spew? You sure are worked up with all the "poo poo stains" and "loving projects" and "loving deads" that you're throwing around.

Blink twice if CR has you by the nuts.

Uhm, you realize that the 3.0 which is currently out has nearly nothing to do with what was advertised one year ago. At least I hope so... did you miss the gorf effort-poster? Seems like you did.

You want 3.0? I can get you a 3.0, believe me. There are ways, Toast. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you 3.0 by 3 o'clock this afternoon... without any polish. These loving amateurs...

drluv fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 9, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

Oh no! It's 3dfx Voodoo II all over again. :magical:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

I mean this is like core poo poo

this should not be happening this far into development

it means they need a serious rewrite of their physics, collisions and god knows what else

fuckin lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Parp.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek, baby: you originally said 3.0 didn't exist, couldn't exist. And yet, it's out to a testing group and soon the whole pop. Whyyyyyy should anyone believe any of the drivel that you spew? You sure are worked up with all the "poo poo stains" and "loving projects" and "loving deads" that you're throwing around.

Blink twice if CR has you by the nuts.

When's 3.1 out with all the stuff missing from 3.0?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

thatguy posted:

lmfao

Gitches into the grid...which I can somewhat understand...but the last few seconds...bwahahaha.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I made it clear -- in that 1 minute video there's at least 3 massively fuckin huge problems they need to address, and since we've seen variants of those same bugs since project inception, I'm guessing it will take at least six months to about two years to fix without adding additional content

just those problems. just those 3 fuckin problems

like how can anyone see that and think "wow they ahve this nailed down! this is going to be awesome!"

no

its poo poo. its going to remain poo poo.

enjoy your poo poo.0

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

I don't think I made it clear -- in that 1 minute video there's at least 3 massively fuckin huge problems they need to address, and since we've seen variants of those same bugs since project inception, I'm guessing it will take at least six months to about two years to fix without adding additional content

just those problems. just those 3 fuckin problems

like how can anyone see that and think "wow they ahve this nailed down! this is going to be awesome!"

no

its poo poo. its going to remain poo poo.

enjoy your poo poo.0

4.0, which is developed in parallel with 3.0, will fix it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A person who got super secret access to a publicly funded alpha that is made proudly with 'open development' but only shown to a select few makes a video and has to use video editing software to remove a watermark from it and blur his name to remain anonymous.
The video shows the culmination of over half a decade and $160 million worth of work carried out by 400 people.
In the video a space bike jitters wildly and flickers into view. Over 25% of the 1 minute long video is glitches. The rest looks remarkable in how dull it is.
This is it, this is Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The amazing thing it happens with how many on at the same time?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
when your spacebike glitches through the hull, sending you out at 12km/second and then the server crashes and you log back on to find yourself in the middle of nowhere but now you can't suicide because of persistence or something and the super harsh death penalty

you call for a pickup from your friend but he's not online so you have to hound him via text to come get you and after 2 hours his ship is finally there and while trying to enter the same loving thing happens and you go whizzing off deeper into the black

and then you go gently caress YOU DEREK SMART and pledge more because its obviously derek smart doing this to you, its always been derek smart because it has to be, it has to be, chris roberts said it was going to be everything and more and more and its fuckin perfect and and and derek derek dereks HUGE COCK gently caress

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol at the end you don't even hear collision sounds

e: or is it open space without forcefields?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm glad they weren't tricked by the liberal media into making dinos into lame birds

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

it means they need a serious rewrite of their physics, collisions and god knows what else everything

Fixed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm amazed CIG's AAAQA team didn't catch that bug. :ohdear:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

thatguy posted:

Check the fidelity. Your move, goons :smug:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

collision detection is the last part of game development right after private servers

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm amazed CIG's AAAQA team didn't catch that bug. :ohdear:

They did, but it was reduced in priority after someone extrapolated the actual release date of 3.0 from the burndown chart

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

A person who got super secret access to a publicly funded alpha that is made proudly with 'open development' but only shown to a select few makes a video and has to use video editing software to remove a watermark from it and blur his name to remain anonymous.
The video shows the culmination of over half a decade and $160 million worth of work carried out by 400 people.
In the video a space bike jitters wildly and flickers into view. Over 25% of the 1 minute long video is glitches. The rest looks remarkable in how dull it is.
This is it, this is Star Citizen.

buy more ships

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

Like how can anyone see that and think "wow they ahve this nailed down! this is going to be awesome!"

Same reason movies like Jupiter Ascending keep getting made- people have been using visual quality as an easy metric for actual production value. If it looks pretty, it must be good. Chris Roberts also subscribes to this philosophy.

That's it, that's the secret of Star Citizen's success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

cig could just add in cartoon sound effects to the game like its a blooper reel and I think it could pull the whole product together into a modest goat sim knockoff