Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

One of the more infamous examples being The Towering Inferno. Notice how Newman('s name) is positioned higher than McQueen? But McQueen is to the left of Newman, so you see him first? It is all very much intentional.

Something similar occurred for the 1987 movie Outrageous Fortune. According to IMDB:

IDDB posted:

Both Shelley Long and Bette Midler were promised top billing when they signed to do the film. Neither one wanted to give up top billing to the other. So west of the Mississippi River, Long got top billing and Midler got top billing east of the Mississippi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

food court bailiff posted:

That would be very impressive as Which Wich was founded less than a decade and a half ago, and the song sounded like a recent summer party jam.

this was a little while back, but I've been thinking: are you sure it's actually a branded song and not just mishearing katy perry's swish swish?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dove makes its bi-annual marketing cock-up:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/08/dove-apologises-for-ad-showing-black-woman-turning-into-white-one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dove makes its bi-annual marketing cock-up:

Please, semi‐annual.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

So this went about as well as I thought , wonder how many McDonald's managers were confused as to what the hell is Rick and Morty

https://io9.gizmodo.com/mcdonalds-rick-and-morty-promotion-did-not-go-well-1819261978

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s special about McDonald’s Szechuan sauce that cannot be experienced by buying a bottle at any good grocer?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

What’s special about McDonald’s Szechuan sauce that cannot be experienced by buying a bottle at any good grocer?

A TV show that's popular among antisocial nerds played up how awesome a discontinued sauce was back in the 90s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

A TV show that's popular among antisocial nerds played up how awesome a discontinued sauce was back in the 90s.

The appeal of the sauce was never the flavour. It was the shared trauma of the loss of the sauce.

McDonald’s have outdone themselves. Their promotion was a masterstroke of performance art.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mierenneuker posted:

One of the more infamous examples being The Towering Inferno. Notice how Newman('s name) is positioned higher than McQueen? But McQueen is to the left of Newman, so you see him first? It is all very much intentional.

Newman is the higher-ranking actor in both aspects. Your eye doesn't see McQueen's first, it sees Newman's first, because our culture reads right to left.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Dove ad is disgusting and inexcusable since the image of black people being "dirty" and becoming clean and white is old as hell. I can't find it now but there's an excellent essay demonstrating how advertising for mundane hygiene products was and still is rife with racism and colonialism. Pears Soap comes to mind, but they were hardly alone.

Also I saw that McDs is now going to bring back the gross sauce since all the boys got their fee-fees hurt after being lovely to employees online and in-person. I wish they'd never bring back anything like it again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Newman is the higher-ranking actor in both aspects. Your eye doesn't see McQueen's first, it sees Newman's first, because our culture reads right to left.

That is immaterial to the fact that that poster's design was due to those contractual constraints.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Perceived rarity perhaps, as well as meme potential. Parallels with the Mcrib maybe?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grassy Knowles posted:

That is immaterial to the fact that that poster's design was due to those contractual constraints.

I think you're misreading that. It specifically makes note of Newman's picture being higher and to the right.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Movie posters don't really do that thing of explaining what roles the actors in this film play anymore do they? I think I maybe remember seeing one modern example in some lovely Jason Bateman movie but that's it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think you're misreading that. It specifically makes note of Newman's picture being higher and to the right.

I'm not disputing your point, just that it doesn't conflict with Mierenneuker's point either that the posters design was 'intentional' and that sating the needs of two conflicting parties (Newman and McQueen) was part of that intent.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jojoinnit posted:

Movie posters don't really do that thing of explaining what roles the actors in this film play anymore do they? I think I maybe remember seeing one modern example in some lovely Jason Bateman movie but that's it.

Yeah, only if they're trying to be retro these days. IMDb pretty much covers that now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The Dove ad is disgusting and inexcusable since the image of black people being "dirty" and becoming clean and white is old as hell. I can't find it now but there's an excellent essay demonstrating how advertising for mundane hygiene products was and still is rife with racism and colonialism. Pears Soap comes to mind, but they were hardly alone.

Also I saw that McDs is now going to bring back the gross sauce since all the boys got their fee-fees hurt after being lovely to employees online and in-person. I wish they'd never bring back anything like it again.

It seems so unlikely that no one, no one at Dove's marketing didn't at one point say "guys, this could be problematic," that I have to wonder if they didn't think they could spin the controversy in their favor.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

For some reason a pile of newspapers targeted at over 60's arrived on our floor at work, the production values are just amazing. This is on the front page

When I am looking for a plumper/plomper, they better be cusomer focused

I think about one third of this paper is about organ donation

Edit: removed the guys identifying details, don't want him getting spammed or some poo poo

EMC has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Oct 9, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I mean it's dumb but nerds are gonna get super butt hurt if you gently caress with their poo poo and mcdonalds clearly had no idea what they were doing. hundreds of people showed up at locations where only like 40 got the sauce and some of the places that advertised for it didn't even have it at all. It was legitimately insanely bad planning and marketing and although I can't imagine standing in line at a mcdonalds for hours to try some random sauce I don't think it's crazy to be pissed if you do that and don't get what you're waiting for

it's equally dumb to bring the sauce back to every place if that's what they're doing cause Rick and Morty is popular but not like to the extent that probably even 10% of people who eat at McDonalds would get the reference or reason for it

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I remember there being some "asian" McD's deal when I was a kid in the late 80's maybe? There was a special nugget sauce that I only remember because it was close in color to the little packs of spicy mustard lovely Chinese places give out and this led to a beloved family story where in little bongwiz ate an entire packet and ran around a Chinese restaurant yelling "Spicy!" because he though it was the special nugget sauce.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not so sure this sauce business was a misstep on corporate, but a calculation. Like as soon as I heard it was one day only I thought it would be artificially creating demand so the full rollout would be gangbusters. Then they announced how small a release it would actually be--a media blitz for only 20 packets per store? After sending Dan Harmon a gallon jug? Suuuure they only planned on releasing it on that day...

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
The thing I don't understand about the McDonalds sauce thing is people complaining that they drove for hours and went to dozens of McDonalds to try to find it but it was all out. Can't you look up the number of any McDonalds? Why not try to call all the nearby ones and ask if they have the sauce instead of spending time, effort and gas on a bizarre nerd-inspired scavenger hunt?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

King of Foolians posted:

The thing I don't understand about the McDonalds sauce thing is people complaining that they drove for hours and went to dozens of McDonalds to try to find it but it was all out. Can't you look up the number of any McDonalds? Why not try to call all the nearby ones and ask if they have the sauce instead of spending time, effort and gas on a bizarre nerd-inspired scavenger hunt?

Because people in general have poor problem-solving skills?

Or they are just Lying on the Internet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It must suck working at McDonald's while all this mcnugget sauce hype is going on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

It must suck working at McDonald's while all this mcnugget sauce hype is going on.

Or ever

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

King of Foolians posted:

Part of it, I have to imagine, is that most of these people heard about the promotion secondhand, so instead of seeing "McDonald's is doing a one-day promotion where they're giving out 20 packets of szechuan sauce at select locations, so you should find out ahead of time if your location's going to have it", they just saw "McDonald's is passing out szechuan sauce on Saturday!!!".

The other part of it is that many Rick and Morty fans are the kind of not-clever that believes itself to be the cleverest of all, and as such is incapable of acknowledging the sunk cost fallacy or admitting that one of their plans might be a bad idea.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

King of Foolians posted:

Because McDonalds had a website you could use to search for participating restaurants, and many of those, despite being listed and having promotional materials up, didn't get any/enough.
Neither side is enviable in this debacle, least of all you, because this information already exists and on this page.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean it's dumb but nerds are gonna get super butt hurt if you gently caress with their poo poo and mcdonalds clearly had no idea what they were doing. hundreds of people showed up at locations where only like 40 got the sauce and some of the places that advertised for it didn't even have it at all. It was legitimately insanely bad planning and marketing and although I can't imagine standing in line at a mcdonalds for hours to try some random sauce I don't think it's crazy to be pissed if you do that and don't get what you're waiting for

it's equally dumb to bring the sauce back to every place if that's what they're doing cause Rick and Morty is popular but not like to the extent that probably even 10% of people who eat at McDonalds would get the reference or reason for it

Two posts back.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grassy Knowles posted:

Because McDonalds had a website you could use to search for participating restaurants, and many of those, despite being listed and having promotional materials up, didn't get any/enough.
Neither side is enviable in this debacle, least of all you, because this information already exists and on this page.

Two posts back.
Hey, their fault for so readily falling into late-stage capitalism.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Panfilo posted:

Imagine what it was like working there during the Teenie Beanie Babies promotion. :mrwhite:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

King of Foolians posted:

Imagine being a shut in that would care enough to do any of this poo poo, and having to use a phone to actually talk to someone using sound

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do they highlight "sear" but not "seal" and for some reason "juiciness" isn't as important as "juicy"

So you don't think they're seal-burgers. Like my girlfriend just did after misreading the sign.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Besesoth posted:

The other part of it is that many Rick and Morty fans are the kind of not-clever that believes itself to be the cleverest of all, and as such is incapable of acknowledging the sunk cost fallacy or admitting that one of their plans might be a bad idea.

fans of the show turning into the shows main character, whoa

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Can anybody play devil's advocate here and tell me what they were going for?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

I feel like this exact same gently caress up has happened multiple times from different companies in the past couple of years.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SkunkDuster posted:

New you. Commercial had women turning into other women.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Aesop Poprock posted:

If you didn't know why it was being brought back you probably weren't aware of it at all until news of the fuckup broke(and even then, most sites talking about the fuckup mention Rick and Morty too).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The cool thing was that Adult Swim wasn't involved at all in the sauce thing and didn't know it was happening. If you'll notice, McD's statements regarding the sauce are as vague as they can be while still being recognizably about Rick and Morty.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

The cool thing was that Adult Swim wasn't involved at all in the sauce thing and didn't know it was happening. If you'll notice, McD's statements regarding the sauce are as vague as they can be while still being recognizably about Rick and Morty.
Holy poo poo you are totally right. The best part is that this is the poster:

No loving mention of or art from manbaby show. Right now, there are people unironically hanging up a McDonalds poster because the cartoon man told them to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SkunkDuster posted:

It's an incomplete image. The full ad is actually an animation where the white girl then turns Asian, who turns Hispanic. It's just cycling through all the nude shades.

Dove is actually fine here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's an incomplete image. The full ad is actually an animation where the white girl then turns Asian, who turns Hispanic. It's just cycling through all the nude shades.

Dove is actually fine here.

Not quite fine: