Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
All parts have been delivered except the CPU, which should be here in about a week. Anyone notice any flaws or anything that might cause problems down the line? Little worried that I may have made the wrong choice of motherboard or case.

This is my first build in six years (2600k/6970), and I'm hoping this one will last at least 3-5.

edit: monitors are also not shipped yet since B&H is on holiday. This will be my first step beyond 1080p, and I'm open to alternative suggestions. I do a lot of coding and multitasking, so I like the idea of having two 1440p monitors; but I also do a lot of gaming, and I'm open to getting one really good monitor if it would make a big difference in quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $80.00)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $135.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $300.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $150.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $150.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $120.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 600 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $100.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $80.00)
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($239.00 @ B&H)
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($239.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech - MX518 Wired Optical Mouse ($57.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1663.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-08 15:06 EDT-0400

Verus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm just assuming you *have* the MX518, but I'm pretty happy with my G502 mouse - also, using a $13 keyboard with a $1600 system is kinda :what: but hey, input is input. Not quite sure why you didn't go with a 960 EVO as a boot drive, given what you're spending, and a 500GB spinner seems really light for a bulk storage drive when you can get 2TBs for practically nothing these days.

As for your monitors - it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that you've invested so much in a 1080Ti (and a high shelf one to boot) but you're mating it to two pretty ordinary 1440p displays. The better expenditure would've been to snag two of the 24" TN G-Sync Dell 1440p displays.

I can't see any other issues, though. Should do you nicely for a good 3-5 years. Also, getting the 750W SKU of the G3 nets you a ten year warranty, so good going there.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 8, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

We've been getting less OC out of newer generations of chips. I've already ordered a Z370, and have a 240mm AIO ready to go, so it's gonna be a K chip for me. However, I could see an H310/370, 2666mhz RAM and a 8700 being a smart move over a Z370 and 8600K.

For gaming only loads, we're seeing the non-k i5 give slightly better perf:$ on current games, with current optimisations. For all other tasks, and combined use, the i7-k gives actual better perf:$

Ps4 and XBox are moving into the next season of AAA games with 8 CPU cores. High end gaming is going to change to assume 8 cores, too.
You can scale all the graphics options you want, but if you're short on threads for the game engine you're looking at OG graphics optimizations, like when we had to disable all particle effects or shadows to make a dual-core optimized game run on one core.

If you're looking to save money I'd go Ryzen 5 wayyyyy before I built a compromised (non-z) Intel platform; their perf:$ is going to get improved by inevitable price cuts, and the previously mentioned slant towards more cores will see them overtake intels mid-range.

I see two real paths for people dropping cash now:

- Go 8700k on a z-board with applicable RAM. Cheap out slightly on the GPU and upgrade with nvidia's 11x0 lineup
- Go Ryzen 5 and get the GPU you want. Assume/hope they offer you a good upgrade path if it's needed
- Go cheap CPU on z370 with applicable RAM. Get the GPU you want. Upgrade to a 8700k/[best supported cpu] when my assumptions above prove true.

Intels mid tier chips are still a little underwhelming if you assume a systems core components are meant to last you 3+ years.

e: just to make the point another way; the 8700k is the jesus chip people have wanted for several generations. Fastest single threaded performance AND fastest multi-threaded performance. For RAW performance there's no reason to look elsewhere.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 8, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

peak debt posted:

So from what I've been reading up on Coffee Lake this is what I'm getting, and planning on putting in the OP:
- Coffee Lake seems a decent enough upgrades that from now on you should only buy those instead of Kaby Lake
- But the difference is not significant enough from Skylake and Kaby Lake to upgrade from those if you already have one of them
- The graphics performance is still terrible, if you want to play 3D games you need a graphics card
- Coolers are still compatible
- The 8400 seems like a nice mid/lowrange CPU
- The 8700K is still a waste of money
- I'm not sure whether to recommend the 8700 or the 8600K for performance gaming builds. Because let's be honest, most people that buy overclockable CPUs never use that. The 10% more turbo clock on the 8700 is nice. But, having 12 threads is probably pretty pointless because what real world scenario is actually going to use all of them. And $50 price difference is not that much, but still money that could've upgraded something else instead.

Any thoughts?

I can't agree with this point. Under *current* usage guidelines, this is true. But the reason I'm recommending the 8700K to anyone who can budget it is because all indications are showing that hyperthreading will be worth it in the next few years simply because it will HAVE to be used, because it's going to get to a point where software will HAVE to use it, because there's no silver bullet yet through the 7-10nm 'wall,' and both AMD and Intel are going with the "let's just put more cores and threads on-die until we figure it out" path. Consoles are already going octacore, which means their ports will want as many physical and virtual resources as can be allocated to them, and people are already noticing quality-of-life improvements in Battlefield 1 between chips with hyperthreading and those without. The smart money is on assuming that's only the start of a trend.

Though it's not a question of MSRP right now in most instances, that $100 difference between an 8600K and 8700K might be the difference of an extra years' worth of comfort and/or confidence in not needing to upgrade, which makes it well worth the investment if it doesn't skew a budget too badly, in my opinion.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm just assuming you *have* the MX518,

I'm taking this goddamned thing with me to the grave.

quote:

Not quite sure why you didn't go with a 960 EVO as a boot drive
In terms of real world performance, would that just shave off a few seconds from boot times/load times or would there be a really noticeable improvement?

quote:

given what you're spending, and a 500GB spinner seems really light for a bulk storage drive when you can get 2TBs for practically nothing these days.

Nope, that's a WD SSD I have lying around. I'm avoiding hard drives completely this time.

quote:

As for your monitors - it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that you've invested so much in a 1080Ti (and a high shelf one to boot) but you're mating it to two pretty ordinary 1440p displays. The better expenditure would've been to snag two of the 24" TN G-Sync Dell 1440p displays.

This is what I was worried about. Does g-sync make all the difference, or would something like this be acceptable? I'm also worried that 24 inches might be too small for the number of pixels, which may just be me not knowing anything about monitors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Verus posted:

I'm taking this goddamned thing with me to the grave.

In terms of real world performance, would that just shave off a few seconds from boot times/load times or would there be a really noticeable improvement?

Nope, that's a WD SSD I have lying around. I'm avoiding hard drives completely this time.

This is what I was worried about. Does g-sync make all the difference, or would something like this be acceptable? I'm also worried that 24 inches might be too small for the number of pixels, which may just be me not knowing anything about monitors.

Going to answer these in order:

Yeah, I wondered if you might be an MX518 cultist. :v:

As for the 960 EVO - right *now* it doesn't provide that much, but that's only because nothing's really coded to take advantage of it yet. It's not something you need right now, but if *I* were building a system, it'd have an NVMe boot drive simply because *eventually* OSes will have a file system that will *fly* on them.

Ah, gotcha. Honestly, for 'godly' system builds these days I'm advising people move to NAS boxes for their bulk storage over putting the spinners in their case.

Most people in the Monitor Megathread regard G-Sync as a quality-of-life upgrade on par with moving from an HDD to SSD. It doesn't make as much of a difference at super-high resolutions, but where it *really* shines is when you're doing something super intensive and your FPS drops below 60 - G-Sync keeps everything buttery-smooth, which makes it a nice thing to have on a long-term system build like I think you expect/want this one to be. And that AOC is just a high-refresh TN monitor, this is the Dell I'm talking about : http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-24-gaming-monitor-s2417dg/apd/210-aizs/monitors-monitor-accessories

Dell will occasionally have a deal for two of the 27" version of this monitor, and despite it using a TN panel, it's a *very good* TN panel, be it on the 24 or 27 inch version.

Here's a good resource for hunting for a monitor: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=monitor&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search

(remember that since you have a 1080Ti that you'll need G-Sync as Freesync is AMD only)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 8, 2017

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

While I am excited for what Coffee Lake brings to the Table, I am not excited about the lack of stock it currently has. I tired to get a 8600k but all the Canadian Retailers I tired were sold out on all the Coffee Lake models. I am looking at a upgrade within the next week as my work is offering a annual computer buying program and I need a new system as my i5 2500k is close to death's door with random crashing on stock speeds.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 9, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't want to dissuade anyone from upgrading, but seeing a post with 2500k crashing at stock speeds is it possible the thermal paste under the heatsink/fan has dried out and it would work ok again with a cleaning and fresh application?

I have a 2500k which is still running fine OC'd but just in case it starts to flake out before I upgrade it would be interesting to hear if this is a common, easily fixed issue..

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

edit: me reading
:downs:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 9, 2017

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

I don't want to dissuade anyone from upgrading, but seeing a post with 2500k crashing at stock speeds is it possible the thermal paste under the heatsink/fan has dried out and it would work ok again with a cleaning and fresh application?

I have a 2500k which is still running fine OC'd but just in case it starts to flake out before I upgrade it would be interesting to hear if this is a common, easily fixed issue..

Just tired it and did not change anything. I swapped everything I can to rule out the mobo/cpu at this point.

I made a build that will work better with my intended usage with the computer (1440p gaming) and it is cheaper than my first build I posted:

https://imgur.com/a/i25Qt

All the benchmarks I been reading is showing that 1440p makes all the coffee lake and ryzen cpus seem to be neck and neck on max frames, its only the min frames that is the big factor. I can deal with 5 less frames on min if I can get this pc working again.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's definitely adding almost $100 to your total, but Amazon currently has a *really good price* on a 1700X: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3W9NGG

It's $56 under the lowest price yet.

Sorry to quote this again but there is a good chance I might be able to put this in my budget this friday when I start ordering parts. What wold be a good cooler for it though? Someone mentioned a Wraith Spire buut Amazon only gave me one result which was like 80 bucks and I'm not sure if I'm searching it right

E: NVM about this, I'm finally at te point where my lovely keyboard is demanding a replacement. Are there decent Mechanical keyboards in the 50-100ish range?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 9, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

All the benchmarks I been reading is showing that 1440p makes all the coffee lake and ryzen cpus seem to be neck and neck on max frames, its only the min frames that is the big factor. I can deal with 5 less frames on min if I can get this pc working again.

I feel that minimum framerates are a lot more important than the maximum, you won't notice 150+ FPS in an empty room but you WILL notice the 40 during busy scenes where you need the responsiveness. It's why a lot of benchmarking sites show minimum framerate alongside the average.
5 less framerate on minimum is kind of a big deal and a big difference.

Don't make major purchasing decisions based on wanting to get rid of a particular nagging thorn in your side, a new CPU is a pretty major change that need to last you years and you have to make it count. Personally I would go for coffee lake.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm going to create the ultimate retail scarcity build and use szechuan sauce as the thermal paste for an 8700k. The case will be a hollowed out SNES classic.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Thinking of getting another 8gb of RAM but I just looked and what the gently caress now it's twice as expensive as when I built my PC 2 years ago. I get that it's canadian monopoly money but why on earth does 2x4gb of RAM cost over $100 now?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Odobenidae posted:

Thinking of getting another 8gb of RAM but I just looked and what the gently caress now it's twice as expensive as when I built my PC 2 years ago. I get that it's canadian monopoly money but why on earth does 2x4gb of RAM cost over $100 now?

Semiconductor die shrinks are getting harder and more expensive and production is shifting towards mobile sector, Ryzen and CFL finally made people care about DDR4 and of course the good old DRAM oligopoly price fixing.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I have a PC with a i5 3570k that I bought 5 years ago. Is it time to upgrade my PC? I went to pcpartspicker and it seems that somehow, after all this time, new processors aren't much faster as to warrant an upgrade. Am I wrong to think that? Why is that?
I upgraded my GPU to a 1070 about a year ago and that is the only upgrade I have made to this PC in 5 years.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Despoiler posted:

I have a PC with a i5 3570k that I bought 5 years ago. Is it time to upgrade my PC? I went to pcpartspicker and it seems that somehow, after all this time, new processors aren't much faster as to warrant an upgrade. Am I wrong to think that? Why is that?
I upgraded my GPU to a 1070 about a year ago and that is the only upgrade I have made to this PC in 5 years.

What makes Coffee Lake such an appealing upgrade from Sandy/Ivy (ever so slightly less so for Haswell/Broadwell) is that Coffee Lake finally brings a significant bump in core numbers and clock speeds.

Not that Skylake/Kaby Lake were slouches but for a long time, core count wasn't a big a deal (beyond having two or four) for games. Now it appears the gaming industry is ready to embrace multiple cores so core count is going to matter in future gaming performance. Combined with renewed competition from AMD, Intel is making the first real effort to push their architecture for future performance.

So Coffee Lake is the first new Intel chip that brings together all the minor improvements since the Sandy/Ivy-era (of which there are A LOT) AND provides performance with an eye towards the future.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Huh. I've been holding out with my i5-2500k for now. Most games I play just fine with my 970. All this cpu talk is making me realise its time for an overhaul.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Mindblast posted:

Huh. I've been holding out with my i5-2500k for now. Most games I play just fine with my 970. All this cpu talk is making me realise its time for an overhaul.

Same boat, still thorn on whether to wait even more for Z390 and (supposedly?) 8C/16T.

Are there any particular tips regarding building a silent gaming PC ? For example, Is a full tower/EATX/ATX preferably to mini-ATX/ITX due to airflow? Any particular coolers or specific fans are better than others for processors?

eames
May 9, 2009

Upgrading your monitor is also a valid option when you feel like your CPU is bottlenecking the system.
That way you can buy some time until newer hardware is out. People still running 1080p/60Hz for gaming will get more value out of a new monitor than any new CPU, imo.

eames fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 9, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mindblast posted:

We should start a 2500k upgrade club. So many of us.

For me it was VR that tipped my hand finally. That and my old Gigabyte mobo starting to crap out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Are there any particular tips regarding building a silent gaming PC ? For example, Is a full tower/EATX/ATX preferably to mini-ATX/ITX due to airflow? Any particular coolers or specific fans are better than others for processors?

Heavy case (to minimize vibration), adding sound dampening (increases temps and weight), rubber feet on your case, using silicon/rubber spacers on your case fans...a remarkable amount of 'computer noise' comes from resonance and vibration. You can also manage fan noise with a rheostat-based controller or a 'smart' fan controller like the Corsair "Commander" boxes plus ML-series fans.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
My 2500K has been hanging in there - 4.3ghz and below stock voltage. After having some issues with the initial motherboard, I picked up an Asus P8P67 Pro that was listed as having trouble reading memory off of eBay for about 40 bucks. I figured that even if it wasn't builder-error, it was still under warranty, so it's a win-win. The motherboard turned out to work like a charm and I've been using it ever since. The 2500K has been far and away the best system I've ever built. Even today it still doesn't feel slow in the way other systems had in the past.

As for the fella looking for the silent PC, that was a dragon I was chasing for a long time. But then about 10 years ago now, cut a small hole in a shared wall to run cables through and have my PC on the other side of it. So in the room where I actually have my monitor and do my work is totally silent, while my PC is nice and cool in a closet. While it's early not an option for everybody, and it can make some diagnostics a bit of an annoyance, the rest of the time it is has been absolutely fantastic.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I have a 7700k now but I still held on to my 2600k system, I'm gonna keep running it until it dies as kind of an endurance experiment.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Ghostpilot posted:

The 2500K has been far and away the best system I've ever built. Even today it still doesn't feel slow in the way other systems had in the past.
Same here. Still does everything I want it to do. I mean, I'm only running at 1080p/60f, so it's totally fine. I'm no longer upgrading/updating parts, so I'll keep riding it until it dies.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

For me it was VR that tipped my hand finally. That and my old Gigabyte mobo starting to crap out.

Any games in particular that are struggling? I'm on a 2500k and play VR, and most games seem fine so far. Even games more graphically intense like Lone Echo, Robo Recall, and Raw Data run smoothly.

Also, my computer randomly hard locks (no BSOD). Sometimes a couple times a week, sometimes it's fine for months. Does this mean a RAM stick is crapping out on me?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

What is the sweet spot for Z370 memory speed?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

kloa posted:

Any games in particular that are struggling? I'm on a 2500k and play VR, and most games seem fine so far. Even games more graphically intense like Lone Echo, Robo Recall, and Raw Data run smoothly.

Also, my computer randomly hard locks (no BSOD). Sometimes a couple times a week, sometimes it's fine for months. Does this mean a RAM stick is crapping out on me?

i5 Sandy/Ivy users are noticing a performance delta over newer and also hyperthreaded chips in games like Battlefield 1.

As for your RAM, try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's not as involved as something like memtest86+, but if there's something wrong, it should hopefully catch it. WMD is just already built into your computer and the first test run doesn't take that long.

dy. posted:

What is the sweet spot for Z370 memory speed?

~3000-3200Mhz, mostly because RAM is stupidly expensive right now, and 3000-3200Mhz is the most 'affordable' high-speed tier. Bear in mind the 'stock' RAM speed for the 300-series chipsets is 2666Mhz now, up from 2400 on the 200-series and 2133 on the 100-series.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 9, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Fuzz posted:

I'm going to try to hold on with my 2500K rig until Intel drops their mainstream consumer 8-core chips (Ice lake?) next year. I still only have 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM though so I might upgrade that again since some newer games are recommending 12-16GB of RAM.

Edit: Would my 1070 with it's 8GB VRAM offset the need for more system RAM for newer games?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 9, 2017

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Fuzz posted:

I'm in this club too. I'm a huge poor though so I'm looking at the i3-8350K very closely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

El Generico posted:

I'm in this club too. I'm a huge poor though so I'm looking at the i3-8350K very closely.

TPU wasn't very impressed with theirs: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i3_8350K/

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Score: 9.1, seems pretty complimentary. Are you thinking of Techspot? https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page5.html

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

9.1 score and highly recommended is not very impressed?

e: beaten.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have a really hard time seeing the 8350K, a 4C/4T that apparently might not even clock any higher than 4.5GHz on air, as a compelling upgrade over a 4C/4T 2500K which can almost certainly break 4.0 unless it really went bust in the silicon lottery. IPC is better but not that much.

I like where Cannon Lake is going but it still feels like an intermediate step and a Pinnacle Ridge or Ice Lake octocore will be where it's at for me. My 2500K @ 4.4 with 16GB of 2133MHz RAM still feels like a good match for my 1060 and there's nothing that would currently replace the 1060 except a bigger card from the same generation. An 1170 with 8 cores running at 4.5+ sounds pretty good when that's an option though.

e: assuming this mining bullshit is tapped out and the cards are actually available by then

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 9, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm not sure what prompted TPU to give the 8350K such a good score, seeing as it doesn't overclock nearly as well as more complex Coffee Lake SKUs.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what prompted TPU to give the 8350K such a good score, seeing as it doesn't overclock nearly as well as more complex Coffee Lake SKUs.

I think it's just the fact that its a mere entry level CPU yet it's on par with 6600/7600k. That's a pretty hefty jump.

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a really hard time seeing the 8350K, a 4C/4T that apparently might not even clock any higher than 4.5GHz on air, as a compelling upgrade over a 4C/4T 2500K which can almost certainly break 4.0 unless it really went bust in the silicon lottery. IPC is better but not that much.

Each gen of i5 is 10% faster than the last (except for kabylake which is virtually the same as skylake), a 2500k to 8350k would be an enormous jump at the same clockspeed - not to mention the associated memory speed is likely to be higher too. A lot of guys are running their 2500ks with 1600mhz or 1833mhz memory, but the 8350k are very often paired up with 2666mhz and beyond.

Anecdotally, I went from a 4.5ghz 2500k to a 4.6ghz 6600k - they're both 4c/4t - and the difference was like night and day.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

willroc7 posted:

9.1 score and highly recommended is not very impressed?

e: beaten.

To be fair this is one of those things where processors are graded on a scale of 7.5-10 and if you're not getting "Editor's Choice!" or "ShittyReviews Gold Award" then it actually means you sucked but the editors didn't want to offend the manufacturer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed the 8350k is actually in stock right now, both NewEgg, and NewEgg's eBay store. $170 bucks.

Edit: Microcenter has some loving nerve to list the sold out 8700k's at $500... they usually mark down the unlocked i7 like $50 below online prices once they have tons in stock though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think it's just the fact that its a mere entry level CPU yet it's on par with 6600/7600k. That's a pretty hefty jump.

Each gen of i5 is 10% faster than the last (except for kabylake which is virtually the same as skylake), a 2500k to 8350k would be an enormous jump at the same clockspeed - not to mention the associated memory speed is likely to be higher too. A lot of guys are running their 2500ks with 1600mhz or 1833mhz memory, but the 8350k are very often paired up with 2666mhz and beyond.

Anecdotally, I went from a 4.5ghz 2500k to a 4.6ghz 6600k - they're both 4c/4t - and the difference was like night and day.
Generally speaking Ivy Bridge isn't 10% faster than Sandy Bridge and Broadwell isn't 10% faster than Haswell, though that one's hard to compare since Broadwell didn't get a normal desktop release. As that would imply, Skylake is also not generally ~145% the IPC of Sandy Bridge (except for the iGPU, where it's a lot better). 25-30% improvement seems more typical to me - more for some applications, less for others.
(source)

I can't speak to the anecdote, I don't know how your subjective experience of a new computer would be different for one that's 50% faster than the old vs. 25% - especially when you throw in the wrinkle of the fresh install and anything else that might have been upgraded between the two systems.

e: The point was less about denying that the 8350K is an upgrade (because I'm not, it is noticeably better) anyway and more about questioning why you'd bother if you already have a good quad and hexcores are a thing now. Someone who wanted what is effectively a 6600K could have bought it a long time ago.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I noticed the 8350k is actually in stock right now, both NewEgg, and NewEgg's eBay store. $170 bucks.

Edit: Microcenter has some loving nerve to list the sold out 8700k's at $500... they usually mark down the unlocked i7 like $50 below online prices once they have tons in stock though.

They had the 8400 in stock when I went on Thursday and then for a few more days. It's probably a better buy than the 8350K.