Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duckman2008 posted:

New Apple IOS and phones are a bit bland, but people here are crazy to think android will be better.

This is why I'm likely going to just get an 8+. It was the same when I wasn't happy with the laptop release last year and started researching alternatives. Apple's disappointing lately but there's still no one doing it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DAE experience occasional animation slowdown upon unlocking the phone on 11.0.2? and I swear to god that it also forcequits one or two of the frozen apps. like suddenly an app i'm pretty sure I haven't swiped away will suddenly be gone from the multitasker

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

prom candy posted:

This is why I'm likely going to just get an 8+. It was the same when I wasn't happy with the laptop release last year and started researching alternatives. Apple's disappointing lately but there's still no one doing it better.

Man I feel you, I tried an 8+ for a few days, but didn't like it enough over my regular 7. I ordered a Pixel 2 XL, it's going to be my first Android phone after owning iPhones back to the original. I'll hold my iPhone 7 as insurance, the fact of the matter is that I feel like I need to break up with Apple, but the sex is still good at times.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Someone lamented the loss of the home screen in multitasking. Though the image of home is gone, if you swipe left a bit and tap the right side of the blur, it takes you back home.

More hidden Apple bullshit!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Secht posted:

Man I feel you, I tried an 8+ for a few days, but didn't like it enough over my regular 7. I ordered a Pixel 2 XL, it's going to be my first Android phone after owning iPhones back to the original. I'll hold my iPhone 7 as insurance, the fact of the matter is that I feel like I need to break up with Apple, but the sex is still good at times.

I'm on a 6 right now so it'll probably feel like more of an upgrade. Why do you need a new phone after a year? Why not just sit on the 7 for now and see what Apple does next year?

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

prom candy posted:

I'm on a 6 right now so it'll probably feel like more of an upgrade. Why do you need a new phone after a year? Why not just sit on the 7 for now and see what Apple does next year?

Mostly because I want a larger phone and a newer design. Secondarily, I left Mac's a little over a year ago, haven't felt the need to refresh my iPad since they released the iPad Air and I see a chance to get out of the Apple ecosystem all together.

Someone else said this in another thread, about how "Apples pricing is becoming increasingly divorced from reality doesn't help, and is making me a bit resentful of the company in general" . That summed up my feelings quite well. It's all bullshit and subjective, I know. I was a die hard for a long time. I can't even say exactly what's changed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

That makes perfect sense. Well I guess it's a good way to sell more screen replacements and backs.

Yes, I was wondering if it had some random persons's last name in the autocorrect because words like Long get capitalized for no reason. I can't remember other ones but there were a bunch.

Same. What's getting me is it'll capitalize a word and then go back to the lower case when I start on the next word. So it's trying to predict whether I'm saying Dick Nixon or dick head. I just have to trust it'll fix itself.

And then it goes and capitalizes some rando word and doesn't auto-correct itself.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Secht posted:

Mostly because I want a larger phone and a newer design. Secondarily, I left Mac's a little over a year ago, haven't felt the need to refresh my iPad since they released the iPad Air and I see a chance to get out of the Apple ecosystem all together.

Someone else said this in another thread, about how "Apples pricing is becoming increasingly divorced from reality doesn't help, and is making me a bit resentful of the company in general" . That summed up my feelings quite well. It's all bullshit and subjective, I know. I was a die hard for a long time. I can't even say exactly what's changed.

I mean, there are some very concrete things you can point to in the phone domain. Same design for three years, while android has advanced drastically in hardware and has caught up a lot in software. Removing the headphone jack was purely to pad the bottom line, it did nothing to make the phone better. Raising prices and continuing to nickel and dime over internal storage.

All the while android has been maturing a lot and Apple is playing catchup on stuff like wireless charging, waterproofing, oled, slim bezels etc. The $1000 flagship phone that has those features doesn't escape without compromises though: ugly notch and no fingerprint scanner. At the same time Apple hosed up the performance of iOS 11. I think a lot of people are going to see this as a good time to get out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Magic Underwear posted:

Removing the headphone jack was purely to pad the bottom line, it did nothing to make the phone better.
Didn't this allegedly aid in making the phone water resistant? Along with freeing up some space so they could increase battery size make the phone .002mm thinner?

Not sure how much stock to put in that claim... what was the deal with headphone jacks on the other water-resistant phones in the market anyway?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Someone should start a phone swap program where an iOS user can pay to rent an android phone for a few weeks to try it, and vice Versa. Every iOS user should try out the best android has to offer occasionally. It really makes you appreciate iOS and provides some meaningful critiques of things Apple could borrow from google.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Someone should start a phone swap program where an iOS user can pay to rent an android phone for a few weeks to try it, and vice Versa. Every iOS user should try out the best android has to offer occasionally. It really makes you appreciate iOS and provides some meaningful critiques of things Apple could borrow from google.

This thread is the only place I hear android poo poo on this much. I know 3 people now that have moved from Apple to Pixels and they all say they have no regrets about it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Magic Underwear posted:

ugly notch and no fingerprint scanner.

It's weird Apple couldn't just stick a fingerprint scanner on the back like that new Sarnsung.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The galaxy s8 has nearly zero compromises and is quite nearly perfect hardware for the stage of phone fad we are at. It's software is lacking in uniformity, and the glass on the phone seems fragile. If iOS was on the s8 it would be crazy. iPhone 8 is insanely good, but it is so easy to look at the iPhone x and think, man, what is so wrong with apple's internal design team that they have to make all those really odd compromises? It is a worrisome look at the direction they want to take the iPhone. I'm most worried about losing the home button. I don't think that's going to work out too well.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Minidust posted:

Didn't this allegedly aid in making the phone water resistant? Along with freeing up some space so they could increase battery size make the phone .002mm thinner?

Not sure how much stock to put in that claim... what was the deal with headphone jacks on the other water-resistant phones in the market anyway?

Samsung got water resistance and a headphone jack without port covers.

The Dave posted:

This thread is the only place I hear android poo poo on this much. I know 3 people now that have moved from Apple to Pixels and they all say they have no regrets about it.

Ask normal iPhone owners how they feel about "green bubble people" and you'll get a similar reaction. More seriously, while Apple isn't what it used to be, a lot of posters here owned lovely Android phones, and Apple's floor is way higher than the potential floor with Android. The Pixel seriously competes with the iPhone in software, but the hardware is a tier below Apple and Samsung, and the Pixel is impossible to buy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

The galaxy s8 has nearly zero compromises and is quite nearly perfect hardware for the stage of phone fad we are at. It's software is lacking in uniformity, and the glass on the phone seems fragile. If iOS was on the s8 it would be crazy. iPhone 8 is insanely good, but it is so easy to look at the iPhone x and think, man, what is so wrong with apple's internal design team that they have to make all those really odd compromises? It is a worrisome look at the direction they want to take the iPhone. I'm most worried about losing the home button. I don't think that's going to work out too well.
Someone lacks courage. Someone is a coward.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

BGrifter posted:

It's weird Apple couldn't just stick a fingerprint scanner on the back like that new Sarnsung.

Side fingerprint scanner like the good Sonys or nothing :colbert:

I miss my side scanner. Best placement of every phone I've owned. So user-friendly and intuitive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Godzilla07 posted:

Ask normal iPhone owners how they feel about "green bubble people" and you'll get a similar reaction. More seriously, while Apple isn't what it used to be, a lot of posters here owned lovely Android phones, and Apple's floor is way higher than the potential floor with Android. The Pixel seriously competes with the iPhone in software, but the hardware is a tier below Apple and Samsung, and the Pixel is impossible to buy.

Yeah Apple definitely has the whole supply chain thing down - even when there are shortages it isn't anywhere near as bad as a Pixel launch gets.

Personally I think Android (in particular Android on the Pixel) is leagues ahead of iOS but I still have an iPhone simply because availability and after sales support is so much better.

I came from a Nexus 6P which developed battery issues after less than a year and the retailers response (it isn't available from Google in my part of the world) was they'll send it away for assessment and I'll hear back in a couple of weeks - simply not acceptable for a device I rely on so much. It annoyed me so much I went and rage bought an iPhone 7 Plus despite it being half way through its cycle (and before the price cut so I paid top dollar)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

I spent a month with a Pixel XL earlier this year. Android and the app ecosystem is a landfill fire. The hardware was nice though.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Something quirky I don’t like and would like to fix:

If I am on a news website and click on the URL/search bar in Safari, there are keyboard auto suggestions sometimes based on the article’s content. It happens on some but not all sites. Like if the news article is on say parasite infestataion in Komodo dragons when I click on the URL bar I get immediate suggestions over the keyboard like “Galapagos Islands” and “Herpitology”.

Is there any way to shut that off but keep the other word suggestions on?

Also:

As far as the Android stuff goes having critical updates to phones being controlled by the cell companies horrifies me. It’s just not a secure platform.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Godzilla07 posted:

:words:
More seriously, while Apple isn't what it used to be, a lot of posters here owned lovely Android phones, and Apple's floor is way higher than the potential floor with Android.
:words:

This is basically my experience. I went through 4 bad Android phones. Never again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
No idea if it's as bad for the phones but looking at Android tablets lately has been eye opening. 2/3rds of the Android tablets at BestBuy struggle to run even modest software from the Google Play store. Going down the line trying one device after the next getting choppy frame rates in a year old game with 16-bit style sprite graphics was hugely disappointing.

I'm sure at the high end Android phones/tablets are fine but midrange is a minefield of devices that can't run stuff. Every Apple device in the store runs pretty much everything in the App Store fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The lack of home button will be fine. You can pretty much use an iPad without it and it works quite well.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

The lack of home button will be fine. You can pretty much use an iPad without it and it works quite well.
To each their own, but I doubt I’ll ever consider a scheme that includes “five finger pinch” in the same category as “works quite well”.

(If there’s another way home that’s not a floating accessibility button I'd like to hear it because my home button is getting kind of mushy).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To each their own, but I doubt I’ll ever consider a scheme that includes “five finger pinch” in the same category as “works quite well”.

(If there’s another way home that’s not a floating accessibility button I'd like to hear it because my home button is getting kind of mushy).

Swipe up to the app switcher, tap any blank space.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That answer is on this page.

Swipe up to control center. Tap one of the blurry spaces that aren’t a button. I didn’t know about this but it’s pretty cool.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh that blurry space. Oops, thought you were talking about the notification screen for some reason.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I owned a Nexus 5 for a few months before switching back to iPhone. I originally switched because I wanted a bigger phone and Apple didn't have any. Also some stuff that annoyed me then that still annoys me now, like not being able to change default applications. I switched back for a few reasons:

1. I missed having a flagship-level device. The camera on the Nexus 5 was kinda garbage and it was really slow to open, which caused me to miss a couple good shots and have crappy versions of what could have been better shots.

2. iMessage. Not just not having iMessage, but also the fact that deregistering my number from iMessage at the time wasn't working correctly and I was missing tons of messages.

3. I hated having to watch my battery life like a hawk to make sure some rogue process wasn't sipping more than it should be and taking my phone down to 0 before the end of the day.

The S8 is pretty much the phone hardware that I want (aside from the fingerprint scanner location) but I'm pretty gun-shy to give Android another shot.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“BGrifter”" post="“477214290”"]
It’s weird Apple couldn’t just stick a fingerprint scanner on the back like that new Sarnsung.
[/quote]

There were rumors of models during the development time that did have a fingerprint scanner on the back. So they either couldn't figure it out or wanted to specifically force people to use face id.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

prom candy posted:

3. I hated having to watch my battery life like a hawk to make sure some rogue process wasn't sipping more than it should be and taking my phone down to 0 before the end of the day.

Happily Apple have stolen that feature with 11 :v:. Don't even need rogue processes from apps to achieve the same result :suicide:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jealous Cow posted:

I spent a month with a Pixel XL earlier this year. Android and the app ecosystem is a landfill fire. The hardware was nice though.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about iOS after six months with a 7 Plus - I can't think of a single app that works better for me on the iOS side

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Did iOS 11 get rid of the Smart Cover settings on iPads? I can't locate where to turn it off anymore.

Also, any recommendations for iOS email apps? I was quite happy with Mail.app on iOS 9, but 10/11 have these stupid card-style emails and I hate it.

e: As far as style and minimal bloat goes, iOS 9 was the pinnacle of iOS. This current iteration is garbage and I will gladly fight anyone who sayeth otherwise.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spongeworthy posted:

Also, any recommendations for iOS email apps?
If you use Gmail you should really download Inb—

spongeworthy posted:

stupid card-style emails and I hate it.
Nevermind

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Does anyone have good instructions on storing my iPhone backup on a secondary HD using windows? I did it once before on a previous laptop but now that powershell is on this version of windows the commands don't seem to work and I am too dumb to figure it out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

spongeworthy posted:

Did iOS 11 get rid of the Smart Cover settings on iPads? I can't locate where to turn it off anymore.

Also, any recommendations for iOS email apps? I was quite happy with Mail.app on iOS 9, but 10/11 have these stupid card-style emails and I hate it.

e: As far as style and minimal bloat goes, iOS 9 was the pinnacle of iOS. This current iteration is garbage and I will gladly fight anyone who sayeth otherwise.

Outlook is pretty good. No complaints; I use it as an all-in-one email app (personal, school, work emails.) I don't get a ton of emails so I just treat it as one inbox, but you can view them individually if you please.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kjermzs posted:

Does anyone have good instructions on storing my iPhone backup on a secondary HD using windows? I did it once before on a previous laptop but now that powershell is on this version of windows the commands don't seem to work and I am too dumb to figure it out.

I don't know about Windows, but on Mac they are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

I imagine the folder naming scheme is similar on Windows. Just copy those folders in Backup on to another storage device.

enojy posted:

Outlook is pretty good. No complaints; I use it as an all-in-one email app (personal, school, work emails.) I don't get a ton of emails so I just treat it as one inbox, but you can view them individually if you please.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I just tried Spark by Readdle (who I love for other apps) but it was unacceptable. I'll give Inbox a shot, too.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yes yes yes yes yes. C'mon public beta.

iOS 11.1 Beta 2 Brings Back 3D Touch App Switcher

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

for the lazy:

quote:

In the second beta of iOS 11.1, Apple has reintroduced the 3D Touch App Switcher gesture on devices that are equipped with 3D Touch.

The feature was "intentionally removed" during the iOS 11 beta testing process and was not reimplemented ahead of the official iOS 11 launch, but Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi promised it would be re-added in a future iOS 11 update.

Public beta likely later this week

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

All I want for Christmas 11.1 is the battery drain to be lessened.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What was that gesture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Once in awhile while my 8 plus is on my Tylt Vu wireless charger, it will hit 100% charge and then go nuts; the screen goes on and off and the charging sound plays each time. Anyone else experience this? I just went to the beta of 11.1 and hoping it was some bug they caught. I'll see tonight.