Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

I don't think the potential for death/failure is ever what unnerves me about a good horror game, so I don't mind easy combat in general. I kinda prefer "easy" combat over stuff like Alien Isolation or Amnesia where you have to always be running.

The Metroid Fusion remake in the far future will award you extra points for clowning on the SA-X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

exquisite tea posted:

When people talk about "good bad games" I don't really know what they mean because if the product is unsalvageable in some respect it's usually enough to cast a shadow over the rest of it. Except for Deadly Premonition.

The original Nier comes to mind.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

megid- spells aren't blocked by magic mirror. i have the resources, the spells, the levels, the defenses, everything i need to fight it. the point is that i'm just not willing to spend the effort necessary to fight a boss where only half my party gets to attack because you have to heal twice every round the rng decides to use it.

with this boss, the illusion is stripped away and p3 has just stopped being fun and if you aren't playing video games to have a good time then why are you playing video games

Strategy in persona 3 and 4 seems to revolve around either trial and error until you stumble upon a weakness in encounters, or just spamming attacks and buffs in boss battles

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

some guy on the bus posted:

Sure, the story is a bit weak. (Heather is one of my favorite characters in video games though) But wasn't playing it for that. Was playing it for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk

I like how often you didn't know if something was a enemy, a sound effect, or the music.

The sound design in this game is awesome. I also like how the monsters have their own "music" that gets louder as you get closer to them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The fun part of Persona gameplay for me is breeding monsters

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exquisite tea posted:

When people talk about "good bad games" I don't really know what they mean because if the product is unsalvageable in some respect it's usually enough to cast a shadow over the rest of it. Except for Deadly Premonition.

I think of it as bad games that are fun to play (destiny, agents of mayhem, just cause 3, the most recent deus ex) or good stories that are a slog to get through (nier)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of David Lynch, I wish I could Be a Cat and Enjoy the Night but it looks like SWERY's game isn't getting funded :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Any examples you can think of? I've experienced many bad games in my life but the only one I can think of that is unplayably bad is Drakengard 1

First thing that comes to mind is A Farewell to Dragons, some garbage Russian RPG made in the Infinity Engine style. It's a game from a professional, commercial studio that lacks any kind of soul and has no design philosophy behind it. It just sucked the energy from me every moment. It was delisted from Steam a few years ago and good riddance.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

nachos posted:

I think of it as bad games that are fun to play (destiny, agents of mayhem, just cause 3, the most recent deus ex) or good stories that are a slog to get through (nier)

How are they bad games if they're fun to play? That's the point of a game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of David Lynch, I wish I could Be a Cat and Enjoy the Night but it looks like SWERY's game isn't getting funded :(

It's sad but you can't just like ask for $1.5 million unless your game has an insane amount of nostalgia attached to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nachos posted:

To me those are just examples of games I would have mixed feelings about, but like overall. Never have I sat down to play a game I thought was just straight-up bad right down to its core mechanics yet felt compelled to finish, in the way that other people can post "haha, I'm playing this terrible game now isn't that funny?" Except of course, for Deadly Premonition.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olive! posted:

Agents of Mayhem really should've had Co op.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Olive! posted:

Repetitive content, completely broken narratives, things like that. You make a good point though, I put 100+ hours into destiny 1 so it's hard for me to say it's a bad game when I put so much time into it. It's just so blatantly incoherent and sliced up to be a cash grab that I don't know what else to say except it's bad.

FF15 is another good bad game. Fun combat and cool ramen noodles but it's just such a pile of poo poo as an overall package.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nachos posted:

I wish Nier didn't have a hubworld and just did something like Bayonetta did, getting me to events faster. The amount of time wasted running around such an empty and useless space soured me.

Fallout 3/4 are some of the best worst games ever created.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When people talk about truly bad games (not just very flawed) that are somehow good they almost always mean that they simply have a comedic value. Which makes the idea way less abstract and easier to understand. Intentional or unintentional humor can carry a game way further than you'd expect it if it's the type of humor that the player enjoys. If it's a miss for the particular person though, there's nothing left to enjoy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I finally beat FF9. Sick game, probably one of my favorites in the franchise up there with 5 and 6.

Now though I am going to get my spooky on and play through the House in Fata Morgana before Mario Odyssey comes out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

When people talk about truly bad games (not just very flawed) that are somehow good they almost always mean that they simply have a comedic value. Which makes the idea way less abstract and easier to understand. Intentional or unintentional humor can carry a game way further than you'd expect it if it's the type of humor that the player enjoys. If it's a miss for the particular person though, there's nothing left to enjoy.

I'd def put Fallout games in this category of "comedic gameplay." How can you not define it as such, in a game wherein you can steal an apple by accident and cause the entire town to pull out guns and kill you

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I expect at some point the loot boxes to get so bad and subsequently the bitching to get so bad that some mid-tier company will finally release a game at $70 MSRP.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

I expect at some point the loot boxes to get so bad and subsequently the bitching to get so bad that some mid-tier company will finally release a game at $70 MSRP.
and everyone will be happy about it and say "at least it doesn't have loot boxes"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do developers like, know that people don't like lootboxes/season passes/day one DLC

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At least with loot boxes they are chasing after whales. At least the theory is that it doesn't matter if 99 people begrudge the extra money and never buy any of that stuff if one person ends up spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel like people complain about all that, but they still buy it so as far as devs are concerned people do like them and they're just vocal idiots.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are vocal people online that bitch about them but the actual data shows that people en masse do buy them. They work.

Games have been able to stay at the $60 figure for decades because the audience for them has grown as time has gone on but that can't last indefinitely so something's gotta give somewhere.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

I feel like people complain about all that, but they still buy it so as far as devs are concerned people do like them and they're just vocal idiots.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I wish Nier didn't have a hubworld and just did something like Bayonetta did, getting me to events faster. The amount of time wasted running around such an empty and useless space soured me.

Fallout 3/4 are some of the best worst games ever created.

I think the time spent running through these beautiful but ultimately empty locations is part of the story Yoko Taro wanted to tell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Help Im Alive posted:

Do developers like, know that people don't like lootboxes/season passes/day one DLC
I think developers/publishers know it makes them more money in the end, and that's all they care about.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hey they only said they wanted them, not that they needed it

not like the sweet sweet injection of cod that they do need

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

mutata posted:

Games have been able to stay at the $60 figure for decades because the audience for them has grown as time has gone on but that can't last indefinitely so something's gotta give somewhere.

The audience has already shrunk, which is why the ways they make up for it (season passes, microtransactions, amiibo) are just gonna get worse.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

^^^ Exactly. If loot boxes lead to games finally being forced to raise prices even just to match inflation, then I'm ok with that.

Nate RFB posted:

I think developers/publishers know it makes them more money in the end, and that's all they care about.

That is the first and main goal of a business, yes. It's almost impossible to start a game studio these days and even long-time successful studios are 1 or 2 average games (not even bad games) away from bankruptcy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mutata posted:

There are vocal people online that bitch about them but the actual data shows that people en masse do buy them. They work.

I really don't think AAA publishers are doing it as a survival measure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

an actual dog posted:

The audience has already shrunk

Do you have any source for that?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I haven't seen the Blade Runner 2049 yet, but the anime short is great. I need a full anime by Shinichiro Watanabe with a Flylo soundtrack NOW

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the companies bringing lootboxes into the big games are big-rear end companies like 2k, wb, microsoft and blizzard, not small companies like volition who really do run that risk

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Motto posted:

I really don't think AAA publishers are doing it as a survival measure.

It's less survival and more keeping up with their need to always be growing their revenue. Capitalism!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The best part of this image to me has always been the first dude who has his currently played game hidden. We all know what you're playing dude.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

The best part of this image to me has always been the first dude who has his currently played game hidden. We all know what you're playing dude.

My favorite is the one playing Football Manager

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope independent self-publishing like with Hellblade will continue to be more and more viable

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh man a new Number 1 Kiss Boy video called THE SIXTY DOLLAR MYTH I bet this is topical.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell, i guarantee that if lootboxes were in a game that wasn't a super major aaa title the way they are in something like shadow of war there'd be even stronger backlash against it because the dev wouldn't have the clout of being a humongous video game studio putting out huge releases with enough power to bash reviewers into giving their games good reviews and enough popularity for people to try and ignore it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm not really surprised that fans of titles that didn't have lootboxes don't want them in the sequels. I get that you can list reasons why publishers do their thing but you can also list reasons why part of the audience is wary of the idea as it may be unreasonably implemented.

• Locked thread