Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Phyresis posted:

You're not giving GW enough credit. This is how England historically classifies their military structure, and they do have armoured battalions, now called regiments.

Haha, holy poo poo mate. I appreciate your help, but I am British, I understand both of our meanings of the word 'regiment' as well as the modern American military meaning, and the imaginary simplified structure they give to an infantry (40k) regiment bears no real relation to either military formation, that was my point. It doesn't matter whether their numbers are closer to an infantry battalion, a British Armoured Regt, an American armoured or air cavalry regiment, a brigade or whatever else. The numbers are inconsistent, and regardless of size regiments (40k definition) are spoken of as winning this or that imaginary space war, even though someone did vaguely hear about the process of battlegrouping and its mentioned in there somewhere.

To give an example of how little GW writers understand military terminology from a professional British standpoint. Infantry are grouped into 10s as 'squads' under a Sgt, even though British infantry are grouped into 'sections' under a Cpl. Tanks are consistently referred to as 'squadrons' of 3, where really tanks come in 'troops', a squadron is several troops (troop is equivalent to an infantry Pl, squadron to an infantry company). Don't even get me started on ranks.

The writers get it all from half-remembered childhood war films, there's no national bias to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chutche2 posted:

Pete Foley says the FB community manager was mistaken, krieg and elysians have to wait for a forgeworld release

Page 132 seems to indicate the FB manager is actually correct, though?

'The loving Codex" posted:

If your chosen regiment does not have an assocated Regimental Doctrine, you may pick the doctrine that you feel best represents your army.

So this is confusing to me.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 9, 2017

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Like Space Wolves and vanilla marines. They use a separate book, so they miss out on some things while waiting for a new book.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DKoK and Elysians don't technically have a doctrine right now, but they have doctrine-like rules which are almost definitely getting erratad to be the "DKoK doctrine." Absolutely RaW right now they could get their special stuff and still take something from the regular IG book too, but assuming FW ever get around to the errata that will change.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Oh gently caress another one

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaCBA9WFWMq/

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Genghis Cohen posted:

Haha, holy poo poo mate. I appreciate your help, but I am British, I understand both of our meanings of the word 'regiment' as well as the modern American military meaning, and the imaginary simplified structure they give to an infantry (40k) regiment bears no real relation to either military formation, that was my point. It doesn't matter whether their numbers are closer to an infantry battalion, a British Armoured Regt, an American armoured or air cavalry regiment, a brigade or whatever else. The numbers are inconsistent, and regardless of size regiments (40k definition) are spoken of as winning this or that imaginary space war, even though someone did vaguely hear about the process of battlegrouping and its mentioned in there somewhere.

To give an example of how little GW writers understand military terminology from a professional British standpoint. Infantry are grouped into 10s as 'squads' under a Sgt, even though British infantry are grouped into 'sections' under a Cpl. Tanks are consistently referred to as 'squadrons' of 3, where really tanks come in 'troops', a squadron is several troops (troop is equivalent to an infantry Pl, squadron to an infantry company). Don't even get me started on ranks.

The writers get it all from half-remembered childhood war films, there's no national bias to it.

I know you're British, sorry to come off as patronizing. The numbers don't matter as much as the chain of command but you are correct; it really is a bastardization of different military structures. They obviously haven't done their research, true, but it's not all hogwash, and has SOME basis in reality. One can only assume that the military structure would change significantly in ~38,000 years. It would actually be absurd if they were exactly the same as now, and I'm sure some smartass like me would be quick to point it out. I don't even think the Army organization during the time of the Horus Heresy is the same as it is in the "current day."

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 9, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Its very clear that GW and FW don't actually talk to each other when writing rules, which is why stuff like that happens.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SpikeMcclane posted:

Like Space Wolves and vanilla marines. They use a separate book, so they miss out on some things while waiting for a new book.

Yeah but the marine codex specifically calls out the space wolves and blood angels as not being able to use codex SM tactics (though doesn't specify the dark angels can't, it's just assumed) while the AM codex doesn't say anything about forgeworld regiments.

Now that I'm reading the rules, until they write an FAQ actually saying that FW regiments can't pick a doctrine, Pete Foley is wrong because the rules are pretty clear in the AM book.

If it does ban it, then that means the Raptors don't get to use Raven Guard tactics as an example.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 9, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Endman posted:

Play Death Korps if you're worried about being overpowered :v:

Are the rules that bad?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
There are official female models in 40k that aren't horribly sexist and units from various racial backgrounds. Really, the social injustices of the galaxy's most brutal fictional empire is the hill you want to die on?

I had a snarky comment about the new rules, the slapfight I saw going on here wiped my memory. :sissies:

At least GW doesn't release shite like this anymore:

They've made female models for years and years that are so subtle you can barely notice them, which is as it should be:

There are even "exclusively female" units that have dudes in them, holy moly!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Female guardsmen are canon. The primary argument I was making was complete disappointment in the paltry amount of female guardsmen art that exists, despite it being canon for years that women serve in the AM. Art production has nothing to do with "the social injustices of the galaxy's most brutal fictional empire"

Goony fucks love making arguments like "but this fictional group that the writers decided to write are intrinsically this way, it is a law of the universe that they must be this way" as if they were some immutable natural force.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If I recall they tried to make Sigmarines gender nuetral just souls in armor.

Then they made a specifically female one.

So what was the community verdict in that?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Five pages of miniature boob derail. Fine work you loving goons.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

I'd be fine with girl marines up to the point that they made them like female stormcast and had their armour be way skinnier, that shits not okay.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

For_Great_Justice posted:

If I recall they tried to make Sigmarines gender nuetral just souls in armor.

Then they made a specifically female one.

So what was the community verdict in that?

Excitement over a slimmer, non-sumo Stormcast sculpt. Mild derision of boob plate acknowledging at least they weren't individually sculpted breasts.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

Seconded.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
You’re all terrible and I hope the next hive fleet squats all your armies. I also particularly enjoyed the chat about complaining about realistic military organisation in this game of interstellar space barbies.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Excitement over a slimmer, non-sumo Stormcast sculpt. Mild derision of boob plate acknowledging at least they weren't individually sculpted breasts.

So sounds like majority said "ok this works".

Could try something like that in 40k maybe.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

You’re all terrible and I hope the next hive fleet squats all your armies. I also particularly enjoyed the chat about complaining about realistic military organisation in this game of interstellar space barbies.

I assume my bookmark somehow ended up pointed at the death thread.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

mango sentinel posted:

They went for filed down waistline and armoured crop-top same as Neave Blacktalon :sigh:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Crossposted with the painting thread:

Reasonably happy with how my first attempt at a Raven Guard turned out. Need to iterate.

Imgur album with notes on what I did, how I hosed up, and how I sometimes fixed it.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

I looked at his page, what a shame. He is actually pretty drat good painter. I liked a lot of his other stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Stephenls posted:

Crossposted with the painting thread:

That is a good birbman.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Goony fucks love making arguments like "but this fictional group that the writers decided to write are intrinsically this way, it is a law of the universe that they must be this way" as if they were some immutable natural force.

You can't have a fictional setting worth a drat if you don't have established rules. Imagine if LotR retconned itself every volume. :)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

You can't have a fictional setting worth a drat if you don't have established rules. Imagine if LotR retconned itself every volume. :)

lol

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

ijyt posted:

:chanpop:

:vince:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

richyp posted:

They went for filed down waistline and armoured crop-top same as Neave Blacktalon :sigh:

Not to defend the other points but that's not a crop top, it's molded abs, same as all the other Stormfront Eternals.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I knew when I saw 150+ new posts that no good could have come from it.

Space marines suck.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to decent the other points but that's not a crop top, it's molded abs, same as all the other Stormfront Eternals.

The armoured strip over her "tits" is mimicking a stretched t-shirt only in metal. The rest of the stormcast look like this:

Shamless cross-post but if you look none have that stretched top effect on the rest of the range.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

richyp posted:

The armoured strip over her "tits" is mimicking a stretched t-shirt only in metal. The rest of the stormcast look like this:

Shamless cross-post but if you look none have that stretched top effect on the rest of the range.

You're right, while they share the same sculpted abs and breastplate, the "normal" sigmarines you posted have individually mounded pecs. Clear difference that should be fixed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I miss the good old days when Sigmarines were fleshless spirits bound to an eternity locked inside golden armor while their individuality wears away as they are denied the rest of death again and again.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Point is al the sigmarines look poo poo with metal abs and pecs so why the need for a metal crop top on the ones with wombs inside their endlessly reincarnated corpse.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I miss the good old days when Sigmarines were fleshless spirits bound to an eternity locked inside golden armor while their individuality wears away as they are denied the rest of death again and again.

This but unironically.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lord_Hambrose posted:

See, that was cool, but people complained that they had no personality, so instead they're...dudes in armour :geno:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Now they're that but fleshy though.:confused:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So its good zombies... that's dumb. Armor with souls bound to it is so much cooler.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hot take: it is actually ok for women to be sculpted with an exaggerated/femme form. Sure, boob plate is silly, but explicitly designing a mini to have it read female from a distance is fine.

Are index Eldar trash? I've converted some cool looking (imo) Howling Banshees out of Scourge, Wytch, and Harlequin Parts, and I want to throw them down with Wave Serpents, Wraithlords, and swooping hawks.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Hot take: it is actually ok for women to be sculpted with an exaggerated/femme form. Sure, boob plate is silly, but explicitly designing a mini to have it read female from a distance is fine.

Are index Eldar trash? I've converted some cool looking (imo) Howling Banshees out of Scourge, Wytch, and Harlequin Parts, and I want to throw them down with Wave Serpents, Wraithlords, and swooping hawks.

The units that used to be amazing are not so good. But they're still good. Warp Spiders are still pretty legit, but not as busted good as they used to be. Hemlocks are nasty as hell. Dark Reapers are amazing.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I expect better from this thread than the 40k Discord server I was on where some complete waste-of-air tosspot advocated child victims of sex trafficking be charged with prostitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genghis Cohen posted:

:goonsay:

Dude its supposed to be 40,000 years in the future, of COURSE the terms would become bastardized over time. They're not meant to be historical, go play other tabletop if you want historical. But instead of calling it a "Space Marine Diggerydoo" where you have to learn all these made up names, instead they pull from common lexicon, so "Space Marine Battalion" even though its not a fixed battalion. Same as using nicknames for weapons and technology instead of calling everything "gun mark 18-c" Get over it.