Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

iospace posted:

I know Minnesota was in Legends. They set up the two divisions so that each team would have a cross-division rival that they'd play every year. Minnesota/Wisconsin and Michigan/Ohio State were the two that stuck out to me.

Which lead to hilarity when you considered that the latter of those two always played the last game in the season and could potentially play each other the next week in the CCG. It's moot now though given they're both East Division.

Im pretty sure a rematch was supposed to be the goal of that system. See Miami/FSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im pretty sure a rematch was supposed to be the goal of that system. See Miami/FSU

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Can we please just move to the pod scheduling system that gets brought up every year? It would even allow for dumb unevenly numbered conferences to mostly work out!

ACC divisions are kinda dumb but at this point seem to have mostly worked out, the Coastal was better for a while, now the Atlantic is it'll all even out. Both divisions have 2 strong programs a couple sometimes strong and a few you never know but probably bad programs. It really could be a lot worse in the ACC.

e: I'm gonna hash that out because why not my team is on a bye what else do I have to post about.

Coastal Strong:
VT, Miami
Coastal Could Be Strong:
Pitt, GT, UNC
Coastal Keep Wishin:
UVA, Duke

Atlantic Strong:
FSU, Clemson
Atlantic Could be Strong
Louisville, NCSU
Atlantic Keep Wishin
WF, Cuse, BC

The Atlantic is just more consistently lopsided. We got that parity yall

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

It's going to suck when we lose to Tennessee despite them being an out of control trash fire right now.

I dont even know why you think it's a possibility. You've beaten us the past two years and thats when we've had MUCH better teams than we do this year. Y'all are gonna win by like 2TDs

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Unless I'm dumb he's talking about reputation not repetitions

I'm sure he is, but I'm going to keep reading it as repetitions because it's funnier and more consistent with the Champions of Life ethos.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I hated legends and leaders because they only gave each team one permanent cross division game. Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin have a long standing Triangle of hate, but Iowa and Minnesota were in one division and Wisconsin was in the other so only one of those games could be an every year thing the way it was set up. Minnesota and Wisconsin are closer and have played for slightly longer so that one got protected while the generally way more competitive Iowa/Wisconsin rivalry died and was replaced with a completley random permanent matchup against loving Purdue that no one on either side understood or cared about. The current one is a mess competitively but at least does a better job protecting all the traditional rivalries people cared about, which I think was the intention, along with creating divisions people could actually remember (I know Iowa and Minnesota were in the Legends and Wisconsin was in leaders, otherwise I have no clue who was where).

The Pod thing SBNation writes up periodically would solve all these problems but alas will never happen because it makes too much sense

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
legends and leaders protected the important Illinois rivalries against teams such as Indiana, Purdue and northwestern so I liked it

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dont even know why you think it's a possibility. You've beaten us the past two years and thats when we've had MUCH better teams than we do this year. Y'all are gonna win by like 2TDs

That's just it, though -- the UT-USC games never really make sense. I feel like we tend to beat you guys when we shouldn't, and we've dropped some head-scratching games to y'all when we've had really good teams (I will never get over 2013). There's also the fact that Knoxville is a house of horrors for us, and we've had probably two good performances there in total. I absolutely think we can win, I just wouldn't be surprised if there was some late game Butch Jones fuckery that gives us the L.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think Wisconsin was Penn State's other division team. I know it wasn't Nebraska, because that was the one I'd have preferred.

The team splits from the Leaders and Legends days probably would have been fun in the long term, but they poisoned it with the moron names. I wish they'd gone with vaguely regional names like "Rivers and Lakes" or "Steel and Corn."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

RumbleFish posted:

That's just it, though -- the UT-USC games never really make sense. I feel like we tend to beat you guys when we shouldn't, and we've dropped some head-scratching games to y'all when we've had really good teams (I will never get over 2013). There's also the fact that Knoxville is a house of horrors for us, and we've had probably two good performances there in total. I absolutely think we can win, I just wouldn't be surprised if there was some late game Butch Jones fuckery that gives us the L.

I still don't see a QB worth starting at a P5 team walking through that door, so unless Guarantano suddenly like becomes something we aren't gonna score above 20 again this season I bet. I'm basically convinced this team is 6-6 at best and having watched them play the first half I dunno how they'll find 3 more wins playing offense like that and letting the defense get gassed.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/davesouthorn/status/916889892252086272

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

oh man another night game for them? Don't tell Chris Petersen.

It's the third and, likely final regular season night game. The only one scheduled before the season was Georgia State at home, and that was for the BTN to have something to show in prime time. I doubt Franklin is going to complain about it. It's a tremendous home field advantage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

I think Wisconsin was Penn State's other division team. I know it wasn't Nebraska, because that was the one I'd have preferred.

The team splits from the Leaders and Legends days probably would have been fun in the long term, but they poisoned it with the moron names. I wish they'd gone with vaguely regional names like "Rivers and Lakes" or "Steel and Corn."

Wisconsin had Minnesota. Penn State had... Nebraska.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Reminder that the Big Ten is in this predicament because Jim Delany invited Rutgers and Maryland thinking the Big East/ACC would collapse together, forcing Notre Dame into the conference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

Reminder that the Big Ten is in this predicament because Jim Delany invited Rutgers and Maryland thinking the Big East/ACC would collapse together, forcing Notre Dame into the conference.

Jim Delany invited Rutgers and Maryland for the sake of TV money. Nothing else.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Komet posted:

Worked for Hockey :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Komet posted:

Notre Dame is going to join a conference when their NBC deal runs out, nothing more, nothing less.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/BarstoolMizzou/status/916694989731717120

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Goddamn lookin like Earl Campbell.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Joey Freshwater posted:

Unless I'm dumb he's talking about reputation not repetitions

No, he's talking about repetitions. The question was about which QBs were getting practice snaps.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

No, he's talking about repetitions. The question was about which QBs were getting practice snaps.

welp

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Re: Big Ten divisions- if we've got to stick to two divisions and maintain some sense of geographical order, would anybody have a problem with this?

Outposts
Iowa
Maryland
Minnesota
Nebraska
Penn State
Rutgers
Wisconsin

Innards
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Gary Andersen just resigned, effective immediately

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

iospace posted:

Notre Dame is going to join a conference when their NBC deal runs out, nothing more, nothing less.

It will be the ACC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:vince:

I read it as repetition initially, revised my thinking but never checked....

...my dude is just as hokey and doofy as we suspected. drat.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Divisions are dumb, looking at you ACC

Not disagreeing, but the ACC has submitted NCAA legislation I believe on two separate occasions to deregulate the Championship game match-up. That would effectively render divisions moot, or at worst a scheduling construct only. Both times the NCAA shot it down. So... blame where blame is due.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It will be the ACC.

More likely than not. I see them sticking with the Big Ten for hockey only.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I was just about to say, do you not remember the leaders and legends bullshit?

Well Michigan's fight song says the leaders and best, so that means that they were in the legends division. Ohio State was in the opposite division so that was the Leaders. Wisconsin and Penn State were also which I remember because of 2011 when Bert managed to win the conference while finishing third in his division. I remember Wisconsin playing Sparty once in the Big Ten championship so they must have been in Legends and I remember Wisconsin absolutely hammering Nebraska that one time so Nebraska must have also been in the Legends.

I have no recollection of what division anyone else was in.

Off the top of my head...

The Division With Michigan
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Northwestern
Indiana
Minnesota

The Division Without Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Big Ten should go back to ten, play a round robin schedule.

Big East
-----------
Penn State
Notre Dame
Miami
West Virginia
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Rutgers (every conference needs a poo poo team)

edit: I'm actually kidding because the Big Ten academic consortium is too important to the university, but it's still an interesting conference lineup

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's insane people care so much about a team that hasn't had an outright title in like 70 years

minnesota has had more title success in most people's lifetimes than Michigan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:psyboom:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Off the top of my head...

The Division With Michigan
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Northwestern
Indiana
Minnesota

The Division Without Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin

They'll never separate Ohio State and Michigan because they don't want to a) move the game from the final week and b) play two games in a row potentially between those two teams.

You're more likely to get Michigan State and Penn State on the same side with OSU/Penn St and Michigan/MSU always playing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

mastershakeman posted:

it's insane people care so much about a team that hasn't had an outright title in like 70 years

minnesota has had more title success in most people's lifetimes than Michigan

Frankly, Leaf should've had 1 or 2 more seconds on the clock in the 98 Rose Bowl for a Hail Mary. They let that time peel off after the first down completion.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

As important of a win that it was for fans, it was even bigger for the players and coaches. This is a neat video:

https://twitter.com/CanesFootball/status/917490714480607236

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

They'll never separate Ohio State and Michigan because they don't want to a) move the game from the final week and b) play two games in a row potentially between those two teams.

You're more likely to get Michigan State and Penn State on the same side with OSU/Penn St and Michigan/MSU always playing.

They were literally in separate divisions already. He was trying to guess who was in the legends and leaders (and not coming close at all fwiw)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sportsgenius86 posted:

Except Legends/Leaders split up OSU and Michigan because the B1G wanted option B

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Frankly, Leaf should've had 1 or 2 more seconds on the clock in the 98 Rose Bowl for a Hail Mary. They let that time peel off after the first down completion.

That seems like probably not a huge deal given the defense he was playing and the likelihood of Hail Marys working in general. Also Nebraska won a game that year on the Flea Kicker, which was both insanely lucky bullshit and against the rules, if you really want to play what ifs from 1997 (there is also a pretty decent chance they don't get enough coaches to change their minds and vote Nebraska 1st without Osborne announcing his retirement right before the bowl game)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 9, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Komet posted:

Big Ten should go back to ten, play a round robin schedule.

Big East
-----------
Penn State
Notre Dame
Miami
West Virginia
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Rutgers (every conference needs a poo poo team)

edit: I'm actually kidding because the Big Ten academic consortium is too important to the university, but it's still an interesting conference lineup

I think the ACC would gladly add Penn State to make 16 with ND with they wanted to leave the Big 10. Which they never will because the money is too good. We've made clear how we feel about WVU, we dislike it so much we'd rather have cheatin hooker buyin Louisville in the conference than WVU. No one wants Rutgers back to the AAC with you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I dunno, the fan seemed to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hahah i was right

• Locked thread