Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're making an Archie version of the Sexy Aunt May comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

General Ironicus posted:

Coming mid-November

Ask me literally anything about Archie.

Thank you, I'm going to buy this as soon as it's available. It's everything I dreamed of back when I was young and reading a lot of Archie comics and queer-but-didn't-know-I-was-queer-yet.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

Coming mid-November

Ok. What the hell is the deal with it? Why did it endure when Foxy Grandpa ended up in the dustbin of history?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Drunkboxer posted:

Ok. What the hell is the deal with it? Why did it endure when Foxy Grandpa ended up in the dustbin of history?

John Goldwater, Archie's first and longest-running publisher, was also the first head of the Comics Code Authority, and used the code to squeeze other titles off the shelves in the 50s. Then It kept going for another few decades as a thing baby boomers like, along with pretty much everything else we think of as classic American culture. Then, the archetypal characteristics and inherent kitsch made it the perfect thing to blossom and reinvent in a post-modern world where everyone is smashing old brands and tropes into each other, hoping something good falls out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You know, I was just thinking about how much I liked the Heat Rocks ad. I think what puts it above the rest is that most maxfun podcasts try to explain the premise of the show while also doing the show. There isn't enough room to do your podcast within a 15 second ad, so you end up with long irrit~ating songs like this one! and that bad TAZ ad. The Heat Rocks at just explains what the show is about, and that's it. It's so refreshing. Also, the lady's voice makes me want to go to sleep.

General Ironicus posted:

Coming mid-November

Why is it that the only two things I hear about it are how it can't get comics out the door because it has no money, and how it's starting up a new comic series? Like, didn't they basically have to cancel Afterlife with Archie, despite critical acclaim, for budget reasons? Why do they keep making new stuff they can't support?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Why is there an Archie TV show about bland white plastic people, except it's also about drugs and threesomes and murder

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ALFbrot posted:

Why is there an Archie TV show about bland white plastic people, except it's also about drugs and threesomes and murder

riverdale loving rules. the cinematography is off the chain and the plotting is batshit but great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ALFbrot posted:

Camila Mendes is not white.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Snooze Cruise posted:

Camila Mendes is not white.

Pardon me, all I ever see are pictures of the whitest man I've ever seen, with distractingly color-enhanced hair and eyebrows, gazing emptily out of the promotional shots, and then I see blog posts about "why jughead is a serial killer and why that's loving hot as hell!!!" or something

I see that DoctorWhat loves the show, I am reassured that my choice to deride it mercilessly is the right one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Riverdale is actually no joke one of the better things on TV right now.

Cheryl Blossom is a great role model.

Also they use maple syrup as a metaphor for sticky corruption.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Ariong posted:

Why is it that the only two things I hear about it are how it can't get comics out the door because it has no money, and how it's starting up a new comic series? Like, didn't they basically have to cancel Afterlife with Archie, despite critical acclaim, for budget reasons? Why do they keep making new stuff they can't support?

Because the comic industry is doomed by its distribution model, and exciting new #1s bring in cash to keep the lights on, but not enough to fix that fundamental problem. It's harder now that they're hiring talented, big-name talent who cost more than the same in-house stable from the last few decades.

ALFbrot posted:

This is a topic that takes hours. Good thing I've already put the time in.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

General Ironicus posted:

Because the comic industry is doomed by its distribution model, and exciting new #1s bring in cash to keep the lights on, but not enough to fix that fundamental problem. It's harder now that they're hiring talented, big-name talent who cost more than the same in-house stable from the last few decades.

Oh, well that makes sense but is kind of a bummer. I hope this latest one turns it all around for them.

ALFbrot posted:

Pardon me, all I ever see are pictures of the whitest man I've ever seen, with distractingly color-enhanced hair and eyebrows, gazing emptily out of the promotional shots, and then I see blog posts about "why jughead is a serial killer and why that's loving hot as hell!!!" or something

I see that DoctorWhat loves the show, I am reassured that my choice to deride it mercilessly is the right one

This is an unusual amount of disdain to have for a show that you don't watch. In fact, I would argue that it is an unusual amount of disdain to have for any show unless it's like, really sexist or racist or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Archie also has a string of really bad business decisions in recent years (including a cancelled musical) which definitely did not help things.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (the guy behind Afterlife with Archie and Riverdale) is essentially their one golden goose at the moment. The latter is also the reason the former barely comes out anymore.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ariong posted:

This is an unusual amount of disdain to have for a show that you don't watch. In fact, I would argue that it is an unusual amount of disdain to have for any show unless it's like, really sexist or racist or something.

Disliking things... is bad!!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
disliking shows you haven't watched is pretty dumb yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blockhouse posted:

Archie also has a string of really bad business decisions in recent years (including a cancelled musical) which definitely did not help things.

They also lost Sonic, which was probably one of their more popular lines. Whether that's because Sega was starting to ask for too much to keep up the license or if Archie wanted to pivot more to their original content has never been made clear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Riverdale loving rules so hard, they had a multi show arc about a maple syrup heiress maybe killing her brother she was maybe in an incestuous relationship with.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ALFbrot posted:

Disliking things... is bad!!!

Saying something like, “I’ve never watched that show, but it looks bad” would be a normal thing to do. “Mercilessly deriding” a show which you do not know anything about is strange.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

yeah actually they will posted:

disliking shows you haven't watched is pretty dumb yeah.

What if it's Doctor Who

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Riverdale has the greatest scene in television history, it revolves around a funeral and a dress and is the best thing I have ever seen on television.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ariong posted:

Saying something like, “I’ve never watched that show, but it looks bad” would be a normal thing to do. “Mercilessly deriding” a show which you do not know anything about is strange.

Sorry I used words other than "it looks bad," but you have seen fully 100% of my Riverdale derision, right here in this very thread. Allow me to sand off the edges:

Riverdale is a show that looks very bad, and I will not watch it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

In today's episode of Comedy Bang! Bang! during an ad Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins inadvertently discovered Justin's blapron.com redirect but assumed it was just Blue Apron that did it. This is not an interesting post but at least it's not about what I think of the ARchie tv show.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I was very upset when Justin gave teengoogle.com to Still Buffering because that was the URL I used to access MBMBAM.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Chorizo is awesome and I'm sad Justin is quick to mock it before giving it a try. Even Griffin is all like "Chorizo is good"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I haven't had Chorizo but I think I would like its fresh blend of spices and deep red color

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 9, 2017

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

El Padrino posted:

Chorizo is awesome and I'm sad Justin is quick to mock it before giving it a try. Even Griffin is all like "Chorizo is good"

They all said it sounded good (and so did I as I was listening). I think that one was just to mock the press release, which sounded like it was written by someone who had never seen food or written language before.

Did we mention chorizo is red?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still waiting on my Naked Egg Taco Munch Squad, JUSTIN.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The problem might be that the high water mark for inane fast food press releases was reached not long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqewzIJy1Os

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still waiting on my Naked Egg Taco Munch Squad, JUSTIN.

You'll hear it when they drop the Brooklyn live show.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Riverdale is good and all but i'm disappointed with any live action Archie that isn't Griffin in a sweater vest

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

lol

https://twitter.com/DocCurm/status/917186488525303808

This was the brief:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5666184940667aca0c2de97e/t/59dad5632aeba571e40b6dd0/1507513706604/tattoo_LASTNAMES.pdf

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That is uh, that is not a great tattoo

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

kidcoelacanth posted:

That is uh, that is not a great tattoo

Yeaaah...sure is a sweet gesture, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

They all said it sounded good (and so did I as I was listening). I think that one was just to mock the press release, which sounded like it was written by someone who had never seen food or written language before.

Did we mention chorizo is red?

yea chorizo is delicious, arguably the king of the sausage, but that presser had absolutely nothing about what's good about it and instead seemed in awe that it existed at all.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They also lost Sonic, which was probably one of their more popular lines. Whether that's because Sega was starting to ask for too much to keep up the license or if Archie wanted to pivot more to their original content has never been made clear.

From my understanding it's a little of column B, and a little of column Ken Penders.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought Ken Penders was dropped from Sonic comics over a decade ago

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ojjeorago posted:

I was very upset when Justin gave teengoogle.com to Still Buffering because that was the URL I used to access MBMBAM.

Just use the best one, http://fartpatrol.com, instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Who What Now posted:

He sued Archie some time after that for ownership of the original characters he had created and won and now he's doing his own thing.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Who What Now posted:

He was, but he made Sega actually start caring about what Archie was doing when they saw a cover with Sonic weeping at an invitation to Princess Sally's wedding. They kept tighter control after that before finally deciding to take it from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

He was, but he made Sega actually start caring about what Archie was doing when they saw a cover with Sonic weeping at an invitation to Princess Sally's wedding. They kept tighter control after that before finally deciding to take it from them.

That comic you mention has nothing to do with anything (other than being hilariously melodramatic). The people who took over Sega's licensing department shortly after Ian Flynn took over as writer were a bit more hands on and slightly more strict with their mandates than the previous not caring at all, but Penders' constant attempts at lawsuits and Archie corporate's own incompetence at stopping them are what lead to that book's death.

Like the most obvious sign it was just Penders and nothing else is that IDW's first announcement after getting the Sonic license was that they're hiring Ian Flynn again. Not really something they would do if the actual book's content was the problem.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 10, 2017