Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

Mal actively and loudly argued with me that Sabine was a better choice for the past 4 months.

Eventually we both got tired of the argument and shut up about it.

oh, well, that's retarded, he's how you get health back.

Hera, Chopper, Kanaan, and Garzeb are the must-haves. Ezra/Sabine are the either/or choice for this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chilichimp posted:

oh, well, that's retarded, he's how you get health back.

Hera, Chopper, Kanaan, and Garzeb are the must-haves. Ezra/Sabine are the either/or choice for this event.

And Ezra is SO much better than Sabine that it's basically not even a choice

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Right. At higher gear levels - or with a zeta - Sabine maybe changes the conversation.

But lol at burning a zeta for that.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

UmOk posted:

Which Phoenix omegas are a must have for Thrawn?

And can I sub in Sabine instead of zeb?

None of them, and use Sabine instead of Chopper. You don't need two tanks, and she can also stagger so you can clear both DTS buffs easily in the last fight.

People keep complaining about this fight, but I had random leftover mods, level 85 pheonix with g8's (except ezra, who's g10 because I use him with rebs in GW all the time) and I easily get into the last fight with full protection and all my cds up. Just hit the last 2 guys in each wave witch basics and rely on Zebs passive to fill you back up, maybe use Zebs 3 because temp protection boils over into permanent if its up at waves end and at/under 100%.

You do have to get Ezra to go first in the final round so you can clear taunt, then have zeb stagger one DT and Sabine get the other, clearing their mega-damage buffs. Then just get the DTs dead and focus down the dps, Thrawn might kill someone but you should have plenty of time to mop it all up.

Also, you get health back from Kanan's passive whenever you suffer a debuff, but you probably shouldn't be running out of protection pre-last wave anyway, and I think you save more health from getting stagger on both Death Troopers quickly than you'd regain from Choppers passive anyway.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Defiance Industries posted:

There is a dude that did Thrawn 7* with a full GL8 squad without Ezra and he didn't even have particularly good mods, AND he did it on his 4th attempt. I saw his video of the last stage and it looked like he was stealing candy from babies. I don't think the enemies crit a single time. Its purely a luck based event. Ezra is in general a much better choice than Sabine though, he puts out some spectacular dps and helps you control the fight with Zeb assists.

CaptainPsyko posted:

RC's bigger problem is no chopper.

Mal's advice was bad.

Im honestly not sure how useful Chopper's unique is for the Thrawn event. (the dispell and the taunt is great though) The enemies deal so much damage that the heal isn't very effective. Hera's Backup Plan is a much more effective "heal" since it brings someone to almost full health when they die.
Backup Plan + taunts is how i got through the last stage. Both Kanan and Chopper got killed with taunt + Backup up

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 9, 2017

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Ineptitude posted:

There is a dude that did Thrawn 7* with a full GL8 squad without Ezra and he didn't even have particularly good mods, AND he did it on his 4th attempt. I saw his video of the last stage and it looked like he was stealing candy from babies. I don't think the enemies crit a single time. Its purely a luck based event. Ezra is in general a much better choice than Sabine though, he puts out some spectacular dps and helps you control the fight with Zeb assists.

Im honestly not sure how useful Chopper's unique is for the Thrawn event. (the dispell and the taunt is great though) The enemies deal so much damage that the heal isn't very effective. Hera's Backup Plan is a much more effective "heal" since it brings someone to almost full health when they die.
Backup Plan + taunts is how i got through the last stage. Both Kanan and Chopper got killed with taunt + Backup up

Depends how much HP and Prot you give to your Kanan and Chopper. Chopper gave prot up to my toons that all damage was negated and they healed for like a LOT every time deathtroopers debuffed.

But i do agree that it's purely RNG based and if Thrawn decides to fracture one of your damage dealers (in my case, i had only Sabine), it's time for a restart. There's very little strategy involved.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Sabine's gives you double staggers, which is nice on the final stage for clearing the deathtrooper buffs. But Ezra brings a second assist and a dispell to clear the stormtrooper taunt.

It's closer than you'd think.

Best post/username combo in the history of the universe.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mister Blueberry posted:

This is 100% true, when doing combat, you get the deployment as well. The waves you complete are just a bonus. Also, you can deploy and afterwards assign platoons. Or the other way around, deployment still counts the points.

My real point about deploying vs. combat missions is that doing a combat missions gets you nothing but garbage time points if you can't get to the next star. It's hard to tell because we don't have a great way to know how many potential GP are still available considering it's a deployment + combat mission bonus points.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 9, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I really want Thrawn but I don't have a 7* Phoenix crew, I really really want Chimera but I don't have 5 star Phonix crew ships.

I still need to get 7* R2-D2 and CLS. I'm stuck in the endless loop of being 2 steps behind the big events and I don't know what to work on.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

I really want Thrawn but I don't have a 7* Phoenix crew, I really really want Chimera but I don't have 5 star Phonix crew ships.

I still need to get 7* R2-D2 and CLS. I'm stuck in the endless loop of being 2 steps behind the big events and I don't know what to work on.

I'm going to finish Phoenix, even though the next Thrawn even is so far away. That's 1 more Rebel team I'll have to compete in TB with. I need more Rebel ships for AA/Mace challenges, so their ships help there, too. I don't see the downside in firming up this team so that it gets done next time through.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Finally beat Thrawn. All G8 except Chopper at G7, arena mods. After about a dozen attempts my best was getting both DTs down and then dying immediately. Then the RNG swung in my favor and I crushed it without losing anyone. Can't overemphasize what a lovely RNG lottery this event is. Just keep at it and try not to snap your phone in half.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

if it's not gonna wind up being 6*, it's worthless.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Popete posted:

If you really stand no chance of getting Phoenix ready in time, get your Imperials ready for R2, while also making sure you have the other 4 needed for CLS. (Princess Leia, STH, Farmboy Luke, Old Ben) If you always behind, don't chase the current event, get ready for the next one.

Thrawn will likely be back in about 4 months, right? Get your Phoenix squad ready by then.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

thrawn527 posted:

Thrawn will likely be back in about 4 months, right? Get your Phoenix squad ready by then.

Cycle tends to speed up once they're not new any more, I'd expect probably more like 2 months.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I gave up Phoenix Squad already, trying to finish up 7* Tie Fighter Pilot and Leia/Old Ben. I can only imagine there will be like 2 more new events I have to start chasing before Thrawn comes back around.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes posted:

Cycle tends to speed up once they're not new any more, I'd expect probably more like 2 months.

Nah, it'll be another LONG wait for Thrawn, I'd expect. After the next event it'll move to the Yoda/Palpatine rotation.

Popete posted:

Yeah I gave up Phoenix Squad already, trying to finish up 7* Tie Fighter Pilot and Leia/Old Ben. I can only imagine there will be like 2 more new events I have to start chasing before Thrawn comes back around.

Yeah, but I mean, gear 8/~10 omega abilities/good mods/no Sabine is plenty, and although the gear is surprisingly hard to achieve it's not impossible to accomplish this before Thrawn returns and still farm CLS stuff.

Others have pointed out, you need Phoenix for Territory Battles anyway.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 9, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Finally 7* thrawn. I'm so happy.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I made my peace with not getting Thrawn this time around; I'm starting to get burned out with the constant grind. I'm bummed though, that a G7, 7* team can't seem to beat 6* Thrawn. I'm not opposed to a G8 requirement for 7*, but six? Seriously?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

I made my peace with not getting Thrawn this time around; I'm starting to get burned out with the constant grind. I'm bummed though, that a G7, 7* team can't seem to beat 6* Thrawn. I'm not opposed to a G8 requirement for 7*, but six? Seriously?

Who do you have at what gear? You're strong enough that moving your arena mods should be enough. Ask the discord for advice friend

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Thrawn is pissing me off. I've sunk way too many credits and gear into these fuckers too only be able to move his protection one pip.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I can't wait to never give a poo poo about Phoenix Squad again.

(He said stupidly, knowing he'd need them for some stupid poo poo later.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I can't wait to never give a poo poo about Phoenix Squad again.

(He said stupidly, knowing he'd need them for some stupid poo poo later.)

Territory Battles Phase 5. Every other week.

(G9 all around if you have an airstrike with mediocre mods (5 dots with 3-8 speed, an actual set bonus, and a speed arrow is plenty) can get you 6/6 most of the time, barring a gently caress you 6 elites wave.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Territory Battles Phase 5. Every other week.

(G9 all around if you have an airstrike with mediocre mods (5 dots with 3-8 speed, an actual set bonus, and a speed arrow is plenty) can get you 6/6 most of the time, barring a gently caress you 6 elites wave.)

Oh, right, that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, right, that.

I mean. They aren't the worst. And they power up ghost and phantom for the thrawn capital ship battle. Aka you'll want to invest

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RC Cola posted:

I mean. They aren't the worst. And they power up ghost and phantom for the thrawn capital ship battle. Aka you'll want to invest

I'm just burnt out on them. Focusing on leveling and gearing them all at once, and using them over and over again in the Thrawn event. I need a break.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Like RCCola, I auto'd the fight until I got to the last round with my team in tact and then worked at it. It took a lot of attempts. There is a lot of RNG to it. Try some random things that you might not normally do and see what happens.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I'm just burnt out on them. Focusing on leveling and gearing them all at once, and using them over and over again in the Thrawn event. I need a break.

If nothing else, this event taunt me that I need to get my resistance squad up to g9+ all around

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Can we start talking about R2D2 yet or is that too soon?

I am unsure who to bring and how far i need to gear them? Is R2D2 easier than Thrawn, if you can bring good heroes (e.g. Thrawn) rather than any 5 random empire?
I am not really looking for a RNG dependant bare minimum GL squad with great mods here, my mods are poo poo and i don't in general have a lot of time to sit and grind an even for hours a day.

My 7* Empire are Thrawn, GMT, TFP, Palpie, Stormtrooper, Magmatrooper.
I have RG at 50/100 and Vader at 77/100.

I guess Thrawn, GMT, TFP, Palpie are no brainers to bring, so it is between ST, RG or Vader.
RG can be gotten to 7* with a week of cantina, Vader can probably be 7'd through fleet shop in time for the event. Are either of these better than Stormtrooper? I assume magma is not worth bringing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The first five you listed are fine. You can also swap in Vader for one of them if you get him in time. Definitely don't bother with Magma and don't go out of your way for RG. Especially with Thrawn, you'll be fine. He (and Deathtrooper) make that fight much easier.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I just 7*'d Ezra today; last Phoenix dude. I'm going to farm FO and Resistance now; resistance first. I want to farm them, mostly because I saw the latest LJ trailer and it looked good. Maybe I'll root for the First Order. No more farming what CG wants me to farm.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Finally got my seven star Thrawn after a million attempts. Now for the GX grind...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Managed to eke out a 6* Thrawn with Hera at G8 and the rest at G7. Thanks thread for the suggestion to replace Chopper with Garazeb.

Also, got Ugnaught to 7*. I've won the game. :toot:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Managed to eke out a 6* Thrawn with Hera at G8 and the rest at G7. Thanks thread for the suggestion to replace Chopper with Garazeb.

Also, got Ugnaught to 7*. I've won the game. :toot:

Nice. I would recommend getting Phoenix to g8 for the next event. And also ezra to g10+ should make 7* easy

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Trying to 7 star Thrawn is killing my enthusiasm for this game. My dudes can get through all the stages with protection almost fully intact and all cooldowns up. But then die without hardly touching Thrawn.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I don't think it's possible to do the 7* Thrawn without at least gear 8, I tried a couple dozen times with a few of my guys at gear 7 (wanted to save those carbantis) and only got close once. I don't have Ezra so maybe it's possible with him instead of Sabine, but the jump in protection from 7 to 8 really really helps.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

Trying to 7 star Thrawn is killing my enthusiasm for this game. My dudes can get through all the stages with protection almost fully intact and all cooldowns up. But then die without hardly touching Thrawn.

whats your phoenix looking like? Have you moved arena mods over? Do you have access to good mods? what level are you? etc etc etc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DotyManX posted:

I don't think it's possible to do the 7* Thrawn without at least gear 8, I tried a couple dozen times with a few of my guys at gear 7 (wanted to save those carbantis) and only got close once. I don't have Ezra so maybe it's possible with him instead of Sabine, but the jump in protection from 7 to 8 really really helps.

I can't with gear 8 (Hera at gear 9).

From what I understand, Ezra is pretty important, because he hits incredibly hard, and being able to remove buffs.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

whats your phoenix looking like? Have you moved arena mods over? Do you have access to good mods? what level are you? etc etc etc

All G8 level 85 on Phoenix. Part of my frustration is that Ive had a good portion of my arena mods on these guys for days and my arena team is getting smoked by Jedi squads.

Might g9 Ezra to see if that helps

UmOk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I kinda avoided Phoenix for awhile cause I didn't really care for any of those characters and wanted to focus on other teams. The fact that it's been the only event squad thats mattered for like 6 months now is pretty frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

thrawn527 posted:

I can't with gear 8 (Hera at gear 9).

From what I understand, Ezra is pretty important, because he hits incredibly hard, and being able to remove buffs.

I was able to do it without him after a few tries, try to have chopper with a lot of turn meter as you start the final stage, usually the deathtroopers cause everyone to counter attack the storm trooper twice and hopefully zeb stuns him; then use chopper to clear his taunt and use sabine and zeb to focus on staggering and killing the death troopers. Try to get at least one down before the storm trooper taunts again. I did not taunt with kannan right away, in my experience he cant survive long when all the enemies are still alive. I saved backup plan until Thrawn used fracture. Keep the taunt clear on the trooper and take out the other death trooper and then the commandos. Then focus on thrawn, hopefully zeb is still alive and has a chance of stunning him to give you some breathing room.