Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Why did they make that change? I mean, removing functionality is very Apple but not being able to back up and save apps is ridiculous considering that some of the apps are actual expensive software and not just the equivalent of a cheeseburger. And if they want people to get off their computers and do everything on the phone, is it that hard to put that same functionality on a device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It really sucks, even for Apple. iTunes is a bloated mess, but they should have released a replacement option in the Mac App Store. It shouldn't be a problem for a while for 'legal apps', but it still will become an issue in time. If a developer releases a separate new version of an app and eventually stops selling the old version of an app, you will be out of luck.

One of the third-party Twitter app devs ran into this problem, so he listed the older version in one small nation so that people who bought the old version could still redownload the app. It works fine for most people, but the decision really screws over a bunch of edge-cases.

Edit: I got my lightly-used 12.9" 2017 iPad w/Smart Keyboard. It replaces the first retina iPad mini and hopefully a 2012 Retina MBP. I wish they'd consider adding mouse support for games, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Edit 2: Tubextreme is a similar app to ProTube that is still currently available on the App Store. I don't think it will last long. Definitely backup with iTunes 12.6 if you decide to buy it (.99˘).

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 7, 2017

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
OK update, I made a post asking about keyboards for the iPad and felt pretty skeptical about the Smart Keyboard.
2 weeks into my purchase and I love this thing. You learn to type on it fairly fast and I actually grew to love the soft-ish type.

While I still think the keyboard is way overpriced but it has really turned my iPad Pro experience into a even more pleasant one for travel and productivity! Writing long poo poo in Bear notes is not even a problem anymore.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

But why get a $170 keyboard when any $30 Bluetooth one works

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ethanol posted:

Why get a $600 tablet when any $50 one works?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

carry on then posted:

Why get a $600 tablet when any $50 one works?

Does the $50 tablet work

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ethanol posted:

Does the $50 tablet work

There would be an ongoing class action lawsuit against Amazon if it didn't.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does it have an Apple Pencil

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

ethanol posted:

Thing is, I tried using bluetooth keyboards. The very second the BT keyboard is not working instantly or when it is connected to the iPad without you being near the loving thing... That frustration is just... awful.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

ethanol posted:

Gross

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why does Bluetooth turn itself on randomly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“ethanol”" post="“477172926”"]
[/quote]

The Bluetooth one isn't built into my Smart Cover

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

[quote="“carry on then”" post="“477173045”"]
There would be an ongoing class action lawsuit against Amazon if it didn’t.
[/quote]

Fire tablet users are in an abusive relationship

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm away from my computer right now and can't verify, but Apple apparently released an update for iTunes 12.6 that allows users to use it with iOS11 devices. You can also install it on top of iTunes 12.7, but you'll need to either replace the library file with an earlier copy or rebuild the library file (playlists, song ratings, and comments would be lost). iTunes 12.6.3 rolls back the removal of iOS apps, ringtones, and audiobooks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI, Apple released iTunes 12.6.3, which includes the App Store and app management and works with iOS 11.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bobfather posted:

5. iPad Pro 12.9 v1 can't do side-by-side split multi + an extra slide-over app, but I've read the 12.9 v2 can. The reason I care about this: split viewing documentation in Safari side-by-side an SSH term, and needing to access 1Password to grab an SSH password. Not possible with the iPad Pro 12.9 v1, but is possible with the v2. No physical reason the v1 can't do it, either. This is the kind of horseshit that will end up with me jailbreaking iOS 11 if that ever comes, because Apple just wants to pad its coffers by implementing artificial limitations.

Typing this on my first gen 12.9 Pro and I can most certainly do exactly that. Just gotta drop the app in the divider between the split screen app, assuming the app supports it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think on the first generation pro one of the split view apps greys out when you invoke slideover. Am I mistaken?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Know Such Peace posted:

I think on the first generation pro one of the split view apps greys out when you invoke slideover. Am I mistaken?

This is accurate, but reading what the OP wants to do, this shouldn't limit him. Pop 1password up, copy password, swipe it away, paste and go.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Endless Mike posted:

This is accurate, but reading what the OP wants to do, this shouldn't limit him. Pop 1password up, copy password, swipe it away, paste and go.

Yeah, it works after you dismiss the slide over. What if I don't want to dismiss the slide over?

My bigger point was: why does Apple continue to limit functionality in devices that can clearly handle it?

Edit: also it's even worse than I first thought. On the first gen 12.9 Pro both split view apps grey out and can't be interacted with if a slide over is open also.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Because they want your money.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Someone should post a new thread so we can get rid of the ghost post haunting this one. I'd do it but I don't want the responsibility of updating the OP.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

Someone should post a new thread so we can get rid of the ghost post haunting this one. I'd do it but I don't want the responsibility of updating the OP.
I was wondering what was causing that. So it's a forum's problem and not an awful app problem?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I was wondering what was causing that. So it's a forum's problem and not an awful app problem?

It's in awful.apk too. Glad someone else mentioned it before I tried a round of uninstall/reinstall of the apps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s not an app problem.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nope happens on web version as well.

*Usually* it goes away on a new page. There were a couple other threads suffering from this last week and new page fixed the issue on those.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
i am looking for a app which can block access to other apps for a set amount of time. I am going away on holiday and want to avoid pissing away my time on my usual games. If I could set a block for three weeks that would be ideal.

Anyone know of such a thing?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

isoprenaline posted:

i am looking for a app which can block access to other apps for a set amount of time. I am going away on holiday and want to avoid pissing away my time on my usual games. If I could set a block for three weeks that would be ideal.

Delete the app and don't redownload it until you get back?

Keep the app and practice not playing it, which might even help you in the future?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Cut off the fingers you use for TouchID, reattach them when you get back?

An app can't block another app. Best you can do is uninstall it and put a restriction on your iPad blocking the ability to install new apps. Have someone else control the restriction code. Settings>General>Restrictions.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Delete the apps, have someone turn on restrictions with a passcode they come up with and they don't tell you then just block the App Store using restrictions.

Edit: ^ what they said lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“isoprenaline”" post="“477223824”"]

[/quote]

They haven't made an app called "basic self control" yet. Someone cash in on that.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

isoprenaline posted:

Forest by Seekrtech by ShaoKan Pi

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/forest-by-seekrtech/id866450515?l=en&mt=8

I know it probably isn’t what you wanted but it is quite addictive to grow trees at least.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Spooky thread 🎃

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I have a bunch of mkv files and want to put them on my girlfriend's iPad for a flight:

1. what format should they be in?
2. what player would be needed?
3. can I just navigate to my NAS and drag them over somehow?

I'm not an iPad or iPhone owner, so don't know much about iOS.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a bunch of mkv files and want to put them on my girlfriend's iPad for a flight:

Download handbrake, convert to MP4, add to iTunes, sync, will play in the tv/videos app. Alternatively, I think the vlc player app will play them just like they are but I haven't tried lately.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KingKapalone posted:

I did this relatively recently for myself on a long flight.

To convert the files I used an app called smart converter on the Mac. It has specific output options for apple devices and does it really quick. Only thing is that the free version doesn't include the option to do batches so you'll have to do each file manually.

Then I put them on my iCloud Drive and made sure they were downloaded locally to the iPad. Your GF might not have the iCloud space for this, and iCloud Drive was actually pretty annoying when I did it as it's not easy to track what it's doing or how it's progressing with it.

Someone else here might have a better solution.

E: the iCloud Drive download ux/interface seems to look a lot better now in the "Files" app in iOS 11

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 10, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Gigi Galli posted:

Download handbrake, convert to MP4, add to iTunes, sync, will play in the tv/videos app. Alternatively, I think the vlc player app will play them just like they are but I haven't tried lately.

Download it on my pc? I'd have to install itunes too. Can we sync her ipad to my new itunes install if she hasn't done that before? I don't think she's ever synced it to her own laptop either.

I was thinking I should convert to save space (assuming it's a smaller file size after), not just compatibility.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

KingKapalone posted:

Download it on my pc? I'd have to install itunes too. Can we sync her ipad to my new itunes install if she hasn't done that before? I don't think she's ever synced it to her own laptop either.

I was thinking I should convert to save space (assuming it's a smaller file size after), not just compatibility.

Yeah handbrake is for windows/mac/Linux. You can associate iPads to multiple machines, so no worries about locking it to you. You will need iTunes as far as I know, yeah.

Someone with iOS 11 - could you do this with he Files app rather than iTunes?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Air Video HD is primarily meant for home streaming but you can download files to your iPad as well and they'll be converted automatically. I think you can configure encode settings but not 100% sure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Skip the conversion and just play the MKV files in VLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could upload them to OneDrive on your pc and then put onedrive on your iPad and download them there!
Same with Dropbox or Google Drive. iCloud Drive is a pretty dodgy one as I'm not actually sure if you can select files to be available offline, iOS just does it "intelligently" ie not properly.