Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Haha poo poo I didn't know that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

NSFW link

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I've got the weirdest boner right now. I'll be away until Sunday, I hope I find it waiting for me...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone who backed Gloomhaven #2 had any emails regarding a delivery ETA?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tai posted:

Not all the shipments have arrived yet to Germany for the EU/rest of the world, so predictions for that are November. Not sure about US/Canada etc shipping.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I usually hate these videos, but the instrumental makes it tolerable. I don't want to hear some mouthbreather describe contents.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

we should be getting another update today maybe we will have some news for the US deliveries

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played Anachrony for the first time this weekend. If you're not familiar with it, it's a worker placement where the gimmicks are (1) you can time travel by sending resources back to yourself through time, and (2) the action spaces on the main board are "dangerous" so you can only send workers there in an exosuit. Action spaces within your own player board are safe so workers can use them without the suit.

So overall I did enjoy it, but I have some reservations. The first and biggest one is that the designers have somehow managed to make what is a fairly straightforward game incredibly complicated by tacking on lots of extraneous pieces. The set up and learning of the game took something like an hour to an hour and a half, and the game itself was only three hours long. Quite a lot of that was trying to get to grips with the time travel rules, which took several readings to process with some help from the owner of the board game cafe we were playing at, who had played it once before.

The way this works is that there is a timeline below the board, and each round matches up with one era of the timeline. At the start of each round, each player secretly reveals 0-2 tokens which provide them with an immediate resource and are placed on the current timeline era card, representing you receiving those resources from the future. You remove these tokens by making a building that lets you travel back in time, focus on a previous era (shown by your player token moving to that era) and "pay off" the loan and close the timeline. This means that most time travel trips will involve you moving back to the relevant era then immediately returning to the present. The only reason to stay in the past is that each era has an associated superproject (unique building) which you can only build if your focus is on that era, although in our four player game these superprojects were all built virtually as soon as they became available. Therefore there was absolutely no reason for anyone to go back to the past and stay there, which meant that the whole focus token on a particular era made absolutely no sense as the focus tokens never moved.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that figuring out these rules and their implementation accounted for at least a quarter of the time during the game, as quite apart from figuring them out, it means every round there's a delay whilst everyone figures out what resources they need and whether they have to borrow them from the future or not before anyone can start taking actions. Altogether, what amounts to a system to obtain a resource 2-3 turns early turned into a massive headache and is my only major criticism of the game. If it was explained in the rules a bit better, I might be more forgiving, but honestly I think the game would be better without it which was somewhat disappointing, as I love time travel fiction and was hoping that would be a core part of the game.

The actual worker placement was quite clever, although again a bit fiddly. There are three different kinds of workers plus one that counts as any, and some actions are better when performed with a particular worker, or are barred from being performed with particular workers (eg Engineers are good at building, Researchers can't recruit new workers). You have separate places for readied/awake and unreadied/asleep workers on your player board, and only awake workers can be used to perform tasks (although asleep workers can be used to pay costs that require workers, except the cost of sending a worker back in time....more convoluted stuff). Whilst the various worker types was pretty cool, I could take or leave the awake/asleep aspect, which again slows down what should be a simple part of the game - retrieving workers - as you have to work out which ones come back asleep or awake.

Something that I did like was the exosuits. All spaces on the main board are outside your vault area and so workers have to be assigned exosuits to use those spaces. At the start of each turn you have to work out how many suits you want to commit, with extra suits costing resources to power up.

The game is very pretty and the cafe had the deluxe version where the exosuits are massive resin minis instead of cardboard chits, which was cool, but I feel like maybe 30% could be removed to make a much sleeker, streamlined game. I was a fan of the theme, which felt very "off-brand Fallout", but I wish there'd been a bit more focus on the vault building aspect instead of the time travel.

I'm hopefully going to get a chance to play again where it all makes sense from the start and I'll reserve judgement until I do.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Doorknob Slobber posted:

we should be getting another update today maybe we will have some news for the US deliveries

Since the expected delivery isn't that far off, I feel like at this point the updates aren't going to be very informative or certainly not positive. If there's a breakthrough with the printing/shipping, I think he'd give an off-schedule update to let all us eager people know ASAP.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Expect Gloomhaven round 2 in late November/early December and be surprised if it gets there early

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Expect Gloomhaven round 2 in late November/early December and be surprised if it gets there early

Has there been any actual information about US deliveries, though?

Also I don't really understand what the delay is. Is it literally "on the boat" right now? Or just not even done printing and not shipped yet?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
A bit late to the "Man, Codex's art and theme suck" chat, but I've been working on a full retheme of it. Almost all the pieces are there, but getting it all formatted into cards is going to take a while yet. Still, if anybody wants to poke around and give feedback/criticism that'd be helpful, especially stuff along the lines of "I don't get how this new artwork matches the card effect".

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Also I don't really understand what the delay is. Is it literally "on the boat" right now? Or just not even done printing and not shipped yet?

The delay is a result of “holy poo poo there are so many copies and the factory can’t meet the production in the timeline originally given.” Last time US info came out it was to expect it in November

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

Last update from him about shipments, which was on 9/11:

quote:

So what has been going on these last few weeks? Well, to be honest, the shipping process hasn't been going as smoothly or quickly as I would like. The logistics of getting all of these games onto boats is a little extreme, and there has been a learning curve for the factory.

Germany shipment

They are apparently still finishing up the final shipment going to Germany, and they assure me that the future shipments to Canada, the US, Australia, and Southeast Asia will go much more smoothly and efficiently now that the have a good system developed.

So, what do I mean by final shipment? Well, I told you last time that the shipment to the EU was scheduled to arrive in Germany at the beginning of next month, and that is still true, but apparently it is only one of three shipments headed there. Another shipment will arrive the week after, and the final shipment a week after that.

The fulfillment center will begin to send games out as they receive them, but the fulfillment will be staggered because of these multiple shipments.
Now you may be wondering right about now, "If the fulfillment will be staggered, what order will the packages be sent out in?" And the answer is that they will be sent out in whatever way that is most efficient for Happyshops (the fulfillment center). I can't really be more specific about that at this time.

So, to recap: the shipment going to the Germany fulfillment center was broken up into three parts, and the final one won't be arriving until Oct. 20. This means that if your game is on that last boat, we'll likely be pushing into early November fulfillment for you.

And just to be clear, the Germany fulfillment is for the EU and "rest of the world" backers, which is everyone but Canada, US, Australia, Southeast Asia, and China.

It's a little tricky giving you the names and info on the freight ships so you can watch them, since you don't know which ship your game is on. I'm just going to give you the info on the last ship, SAJIR. If you pretend your game is on that one, there shouldn't be any future disappointment. As long as you remember that once the ship lands in port, the game still won't likely get shipped out for about two weeks.

What about the other shipments?

Okay, so all of that was about the EU and "rest of the world" backers. If you're not in that group, I still have little information to give you, unfortunately. As I said above, the factory is confident that the next shipments will be sent out much faster and more efficiently. I know I expected to have more info on these shipments by now, but I don't. I am definitely hopeful that things should be moving along in some capacity by next update, though.

All Kickstarter shipments should be leaving the factory by early next month. Does that mean that, like for the EU backers, delivery could get pushed back until early November for some people? That is possible.
I know it is frustrating. It is incredibly frustrating for me too. Your patience will be rewarded, though!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fenn the Fool! posted:

A bit late to the "Man, Codex's art and theme suck" chat, but I've been working on a full retheme of it. Almost all the pieces are there, but getting it all formatted into cards is going to take a while yet. Still, if anybody wants to poke around and give feedback/criticism that'd be helpful, especially stuff along the lines of "I don't get how this new artwork matches the card effect".

I am so into this dude. I only looked through two factions but everything looks like a good choice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fenn the Fool! posted:

:eyepop: I’ll take a look at it later but what’s the best way to do PNPs? Rutibex wanna chime in?

Meanwhile I’m doing the inside of the Caylus box

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: I’ll take a look at it later but what’s the best way to do PNPs? Rutibex wanna chime in?

Meanwhile I’m doing the inside of the Caylus box

Is that Mod Podge? I used that stuff to do some sweet GM screens for a few friends. My fingers really ached after rubbing for what felt like ever.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: I’ll take a look at it later but what’s the best way to do PNPs?

First you P and then you P

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OgreNoah posted:

Is that Mod Podge? I used that stuff to do some sweet GM screens for a few friends. My fingers really ached after rubbing for what felt like ever.

Yeah it’s image transfer. I think mod podge matte would’ve actually been better here since it would then blend with the wooden background. Apparently you can use these things to transfer onto fabric so I might make player boards/aids for fitting games like archipelago or Stone Age

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it’s image transfer. I think mod podge matte would’ve actually been better here since it would then blend with the wooden background. Apparently you can use these things to transfer onto fabric so I might make player boards/aids for fitting games like archipelago or Stone Age

I don't understand. You're going to make . . . fabric player boards?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

homullus posted:

I don't understand. You're going to make . . . fabric player boards?

Why not? It’s the same sort of fun crap that comes in deluxified games and I think it’s neat. I might get my friend to make me some laser etched wooden player boards for Container that I can then paint to look like steel. Unless I can somehow convince my graduate student friend to CNC mill me some steel plates for a literally heavy game... hmmm

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Why not? It’s the same sort of fun crap that comes in deluxified games and I think it’s neat. I might get my friend to make me some laser etched wooden player boards for Container that I can then paint to look like steel. Unless I can somehow convince my graduate student friend to CNC mill me some steel plates for a literally heavy game... hmmm

I'm all for deluxifying games. I don't see the deluxe in making components that need to lie flat out of things that will not lie flat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well yeah that’s why you also include stones, for verisimilitude.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Frankly it looks like you've already put more thought and work into it than Sirlin did.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Speaking of that and friend of mine has gained access to a laser cutter does anyone have any files I could use to get acrylic player board covers cut for Terra Mystica?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Well yeah that’s why you also include stones, for verisimilitude.

The obvious solution is to have the Stone Age board etched into leather.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

homullus posted:

The obvious solution is to have the Stone Age board etched into leather.
The smellier the better.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
A Chaos in the Old World upgrade would have obvious and close to hand material requirements.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hauki posted:

Frankly it looks like you've already put more thought and work into it than Sirlin did.

Is the Sirlin hateboner so strong that this is the bar?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Glagha posted:

Is the Sirlin hateboner so strong that this is the bar?

Accuracy should always be the bar.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Did we already forget what happened, like, a page ago when we discovered that a panda vomiting a rainbow was actually a reference to an ancient D&D meme? Clearly Sirlin puts a TON of work into his characters and settings. He's awful at it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't put in work.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have two buddies coming over tonight and I'm going to let the thread decide what we should play:

FCM or The Colonists.

For either game, one guy has played once or twice before, and the other guy has never played before.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CommonShore posted:

I have two buddies coming over tonight and I'm going to let the thread decide what we should play:

FCM or The Colonists.

For either game, one guy has played once or twice before, and the other guy has never played before.

Food Chain Magnate. No contest.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Did we already forget what happened, like, a page ago when we discovered that a panda vomiting a rainbow was actually a reference to an ancient D&D meme?

how does this make it better

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The artwork you've gathered is certainly higher quality. I guess your "bootleg Warcraft" theme is an improvement over "bootleg mishmash"?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

please knock Mom! posted:

how does this make it better

It doesn't! The end result is such a godawful mess that I'm retheming the whole game, haha. But the man definitely puts in work.

CaptainRightful posted:

The artwork you've gathered is certainly higher quality. I guess your "bootleg Warcraft" theme is an improvement over "bootleg mishmash"?

Is there anything in particular that makes it feel bootleg (apart from it actually being bootlegged of course)? In a lot of ways I'm constrained by what images exist for me to steal, but anything I can look at to possibly make the whole package more cohesive and official-looking would be great.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I wanna be clear that I'm all for giving Sirlin his due. He's a big shithead as I can attest from his podcast, and his character designs are pretty laughable sometimes. Like, let's talk about Valerie:

Big titty bipolar and bisexual painter with heterochromia and the magical ability to vacuum seal outfits to herself while not actually having any material on them.

Literally Slayer from Guilty Gear

Big titty vampire dominatrix and I totally do not have a thing you guys.

I just think Codex is fun and the art and theme were just kind of a "who cares" point for me. That being said replacing everything with a Warcraft theme is so on the nose that I can't help but love it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Did we already forget what happened, like, a page ago when we discovered that a panda vomiting a rainbow was actually a reference to an ancient D&D meme? Clearly Sirlin puts a TON of work into his characters and settings. He's awful at it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't put in work.

quote:

Are you looking for awesome art that is too great for this Earth?

he's so Goddamned happy about ripping off an ancient meme

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Glagha posted:

I wanna be clear that I'm all for giving Sirlin his due. He's a big shithead as I can attest from his podcast, and his character designs are pretty laughable sometimes. Like, let's talk about Valerie:

Big titty bipolar and bisexual painter with heterochromia and the magical ability to vacuum seal outfits to herself while not actually having any material on them.

Literally Slayer from Guilty Gear

Big titty vampire dominatrix and I totally do not have a thing you guys.

I just think Codex is fun and the art and theme were just kind of a "who cares" point for me. That being said replacing everything with a Warcraft theme is so on the nose that I can't help but love it.

I think you forgot the pantyshot ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lichtenstein posted:

I think you forgot the pantyshot ninja.

I felt like that was too low of a fruit. Practically all lady ninjas are pantyshot ninjas these days.