Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

Are you having a good Christmas? Cause I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Did she say that though?

No, we've just decided to play the purposely act obtuse and defend people who don't need defending game.

I'm actually surprised to see people arguing Laci Green isn't a TERF—there was a big fuss where it rather unambiguously happened several months ago. I follow a lot of trans people and feminist-types on Twitter, and the latter especially were really disappointed to see Laci Green start red pilling herself.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 7, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Linkara19/status/916324445471625216
Poor Linkara :( Glad their car didn't get damaged from that

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can you guys go to d&d

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

hbomberguy posted:

Did she say that though?

I don't wanna gently caress this thread up any further than I have done so my DMs are open in various places.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

ignore this post

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I don't wanna gently caress this thread up any further than I have done so my DMs are open in various places.

You didn't gently caress the thread up

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New Game Dungeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkm7SZgwSww

Also I really like Hbomb's video on VHS, I think its pretty accurate as I don't really get the visceral fear reaction like I used to watching tapes or late night horror movies on my old TV's. I can even remember watching an episode of star trek on a black and white box in winter and being seriously creeped out by it.

Also I decided to watch the video on Sherlock, I hadn't before because I never watched the show. It got me interested and I got a collection of the stories to work my way through. My only real exposure so far has been an audio book of the Hound of the Baskervilles.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

the lady behind the sita sings the blues

... Wha... what? :(

A video on Paul Verhoeven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPlyLYFZkg

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

... Wha... what? :(

A video on Paul Verhoeven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPlyLYFZkg

http://blog.ninapaley.com/2017/03/23/the-banality-of-stupid/comment-page-1/

WELP

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the following post is amazing too, just complete full-on "TERF is a slur" moaning without an ounce of introspection

e: lmao holy poo poo the more i look up the more i'm amazed about this person. TERF, antinatalist, atheist who is "particularly critical of Judaism", and Sita Sings The Blues seems like a kind of super fuckin racist-rear end movie?

Alaois fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 7, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Alaois posted:

the following post is amazing too, just complete full-on "TERF is a slur" moaning without an ounce of introspection

e: lmao holy poo poo the more i look up the more i'm amazed about this person. TERF, antinatalist, atheist who is "particularly critical of Judaism", and Sita Sings The Blues seems like a kind of super fuckin racist-rear end movie?

she's a non-religious jew if i understand/remember right

i think the big complaint against sita was that it's appropriative, but i'm kind of out of interest in even trying to defend her/give the benefit of the doubt anymore

e: more fun note
i hadn't looked at foldable human's stuff in a while, he's really good
i'm taking a class on visual literacy; we were required this week to share outside articles on the topic so i pulled in his video essay on vlogs and the hyperreal

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 7, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Junpei Hyde posted:

You didn't gently caress the thread up

Yeah people are being gigantic babies as they tend to do when something slightly uncomfortable comes up.

I mean he is wrong but the that doesn't make a thread hosed up

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah people are being gigantic babies as they tend to do when something slightly uncomfortable comes up.

I mean he is wrong but the that doesn't make a thread hosed up
I think kim identifies as Female, but yeah she didn't gently caress up the thread. It was a normal non shityposty discussion so far imo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyways. Brad and Jerrid went to see the new My Little Pony Movie... for some reason. Take your mind off the drama of the last few days by watching a pair of grown men in the mid 30s try to review a movie made for 8 year old girls.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Just making a general statement to say that I am Very Sad at the TERF nonsense being perpetrated by some of the people who were fellow small-scale reviewers of mine.

HOWEVER, I have much more enjoyable news - I've reviewed another film from the well of super obscure small budget queer movies that I find endlessly fascinating. It's Winter Kept Us Warm, the film that inspired David Cronenberg's career!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Down The Rabbit Hole talks about the Mouse Utopia Experiments

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyways. Brad and Jerrid went to see the new My Little Pony Movie... for some reason. Take your mind off the drama of the last few days by watching a pair of grown men in the mid 30s try to review a movie made for 8 year old girls.

Jenny Nicholson also did a very serious and not at all taking the piss review of that movie.

Oh dang, thanks for this! I was trying to find this channel a couple days ago and for the life of me couldn't remember its name!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

"Logic dictates that Twilight remain with the Seaponies"

Thank you for this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

quote:

Pinned by Jenny Nicholson
BlueTeller
1 day ago
While I have nitpicks of my own about the movie and I respect your opinion...
1) 0:26 Inconsistencies and continuity errors are present in the show as well. "Glaring" might be a little harsh of a description for the movie, compared to plenty of blatant problems existing within the show (like Fluttershy having a traumatic stage fright in "Filly Vanilli", when she had performed on stage plenty of times before - "Hearth's Warming Eve" for example - as well as sang with her friends or openly expressed a desire to sing a song together - like in "Cutie Mark Chronicles").
2) 0:34 There's a difference between "disregard" and "oversight". I'm pretty sure none of the errors were intentional, and they were overall, rather minor.
3) 0:52 Just because they had interactions with famous pop stars in the past, doesn't mean they wouldn't be nervous about another one. In fact, every time they had interacted with pop stars they were extremely nervous - Rarity about Sapphire Shores' demanding costumes orders and Pinkie Pie about Coloratura's manager ridiculous standards. Actually... those past interactions should have made them nervous, since both almost ended on a disaster! (Also, Twilight becoming a singer with her friends in Canterlot High out of necessity is not nearly the same as being a country-wide renown music star).
4) 1:32 "Spits in the face of everything we know about these characters"? "Horrifying inconsistency"? Really? That's pretty extreme. I'd call it a noticeable oversight at worse - the mane six was very in character throughout the movie.
5) 2:23 Fluttershy had very little focus in the movie, and I admit, I noticed these scenes too. However, I didn't get the feeling that Fluttershy was afraid of the bats - she shied away from the glaring eyes within the shadows (which is consistent with her shyness), but stopped being afraid at all when Capper shielded her and revealed the creatures as bats. To be honest, at that moment I thought "Oh, so they remembered Fluttershy likes bats. Neat." That was my impression at least. Fluttershy afraid of beasts, on the other hand? That's a legitimate complain. There were moments like that in the show too - not that it makes it any better.
6) 2:53 "Character assassination"??If you want to talk about REAL character assassination, how about Twilight trying to steal a magical artifact from a Queen?? I mean, the "wrong" Fluttershy scenes were seconds long at best and didn't actually matter to the story! But Twilight trying steal from a Queen?! I don't care how desperate she was to save Equestria, in-character Twilight would have never done that! It's not like she could have used it to defeat the Storm King anyway, the only power it had was turning land creatures into aquatic ones, how could that even help?? And saying that she doesn't need her friends?! That was such an obvious plot device. I can't believe you took details and called them "horrifying" but didn't bother to mention something so huge. I mean come on!
7) 3:05 Twilight didn't say "I knew it!" because she knew Capper was going to sell them. She "knew it" that Capper wasn't trustworthy.
8) 3:19 Why do you bother with toy names? Do they have any relevance to the plot of the movie or the show? I honestly can't see how.
9) 4:00 Maybe Celestia really didn't know. I mean, we don't know how long ago the Hippogriffs retreated underwater, and the place was pretty far from Equestria judging how long it took the mane six to get there. The Princesses not being much of help when a huge threat comes along is hardly a new problem to this franchise.
10) 4:42 Twilight staying behind to be safe hadn't really worked out all that well in the past (season 4 opening rings a bell?), while logical for her to be safe, it'd be hard to convince her to do so. It'd be too much like running away from responsibility, and Twilight is a princess - she has duty to protect Equestria.
11) 5:13 I'm not a fan of SIA, but honestly? Did you expect her to break out of the cage out of nowhere? It would have been pretty confusing for those of us who are not familiar with her "cannon". Also, remember that this is not SIA herself - this is just a pony with her characteristics. Like Cheese Sandwich is not Weird Al, he's just a representation of him.
12) 5:50 Um... What about Discord? Or Thorax? They're guys, and they got reformed. Also Chrysalis didn't get reformed, and she's a girl. Hardly sexist.
13) 6:09 "This reminded me that the movie was for me, and the children in the theater around me would never appreciate it the way I could have!" ...um, what? Did you seriously just say that? Just because they're kids doesn't mean they can't appreciate the movie as much a you! In fact they probably appreciate it more, because they're not held back by adult flaw-seeking perspective and enjoy this beautiful, colorful movie for exactly what it is - entertainment. Saying that they can't appreciate it as much as you is a terrible thing to say, undermining their intelligence and sense of wonder. Kids are often smarter than you think.
14) 6:29 "Misrepresentation of core elements"? None of the things you mentioned before is what I'd consider "core" elements. Was Fluttershy unkind? Was Rainbow Dash disloyal? Those are core elements, and I think they're pretty faithful. (I only had problem with Twilight and stealing, but... sigh. Plot convenience, I suppose I'll let it slide.)

Anyway, anyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, in the end, it's just a movie. A fun, beautiful-looking movie which I'm certain to watch again in the near future.
Thank you for your review :)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

At this point the MLP movie viewership is both actual kids and friends/followers of people who worked on the show/movie, so there's a chance an adult being there over "Hi, my favorite doodler of animals with square glasses on worked on the previous piece so I wanted to check that out" than some sort of diehard viewership.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alacron posted:

quote:

Pinned by Jenny Nicholson

Times like this I almost regret having a comments blocker extension. Almost.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

When I started working at Legoland I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see that little girls actually are really into the show enough to have shirts and backpacks based on it. I kinda just assumed that the show was mainly a success because of the adult fanbase. I remember finding a Fluttershy plushie in one girl's bag when I was doing bag checks.

Those shirts are so much less embarrassing on actual kids than grown men. Especially since none of those shirts have the word "brony" on them anywhere.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Roth posted:

When I started working at Legoland I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see that little girls actually are really into the show enough to have shirts and backpacks based on it. I kinda just assumed that the show was mainly a success because of the adult fanbase. I remember finding a Fluttershy plushie in one girl's bag when I was doing bag checks.

Those shirts are so much less embarrassing on actual kids than grown men. Especially since none of those shirts have the word "brony" on them anywhere.

Nah, it's just that kids actually have people to talk about the show with IRL so they don't make huge internet hubs dedicated to their cartoon horse opinions. If adults were the only lucrative market you wouldn't see an assload of My Little Pony on everything child-sized.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't necessarily expect folks to watch a 2 hour podcast that's mainly about footie, but The True Geordie got to do a podcast with Alan Shearer and it was really good. Great to see him finally do an interview with his childhood idol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpE_vEzZYD0

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Pat Benatar is an immortal vigilante, and other incredible news on this week’s episode of Song Crimes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Another Monday, another new Jimquisition!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHSso2vufPM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is next week just gonna be him shouting "GUYS I REALLY HATE MICROTRANSACTIONS UPVOTES PLEASE" for the full 15 minutes or what

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Well, when the industry stops doing that trash in these 60 dollar games then he'll stop complaining about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean at least this one isn't him going all TB and just actively making poo poo up to retroactively justify his freakouts but it is wearing a little thin.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I mean at least this one isn't him going all TB and just actively making poo poo up to retroactively justify his freakouts but it is wearing a little thin.

Don't watch the video then?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The "Definitely not a horrible jewish caricature" big+hook-nosed orc rubbing their hands together in anticipation of your money is still killing me, how was this approved.

He's like one "goyim" away from being an A. Wyatt Mann drawing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They turned a giant spider into a sexy half-naked lady. I don't think the design team, or the person who is laying down the laws, gives a poo poo. Or has any artistic vision.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Yardbomb posted:

The "Definitely not a horrible jewish caricature" big+hook-nosed orc rubbing their hands together in anticipation of your money is still killing me, how was this approved.

He's like one "goyim" away from being an A. Wyatt Mann drawing.

I actually emailed Jim about it along with a reference image for similar Jewish stereotype pictures because it's kinda uncomfortable. I have a feeling he just didn't think about it. I doubt it's intentional what with the whole "deliberately distancing from facist imagery" thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I actually emailed Jim about it along with a reference image for similar Jewish stereotype pictures because it's kinda uncomfortable. I have a feeling he just didn't think about it. I doubt it's intentional what with the whole "deliberately distancing from facist imagery" thing.

I'm kind of okay with Jim using it, because I'm pretty sure HE'S aware of what it looks like and while he could place it in videos better, it always feels more like it's thrown up there to be like "LOOK AT THIS poo poo, REMEMBER THIS?" that somehow this was created and then stamped and pushed out with the seal of approval. Cause I feel like more than in just my own experience, it's hard to sift through the garbage that is online discourse especially now, without having seen this thing at least a few times, whether outright in this form or shopped up. Hell, at least one D&D poster had their av changed to it mocked up to resemble Anita Sarkeesian.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I don't think that Jim went into detail on it but he's DEFINITELY said something to the effect of "Who approved this, what were they thinking??" about it. After that, I'd be shocked if it turns out he hadn't noticed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not getting into detail because he wants to avoid dealing with the disingenuous "You're just accusing them of being Nazis because you don't have a REAL point, nyeh!" comments that would definitely flood in.

To his credit, it does kinda speak for itself.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

sexpig by night posted:

What's this referring to?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I already mentioned the Orc Merchant, but one other thing I'll say abut it is...

...I'm pretty sure Middle Earth already had a stand in for us.

Like, I'm pretty sure Tolkien outright said once the Dwarves were the allegory.

Maybe you should have made the sequel a game about the Dwarves then WB?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

is next week just gonna be him shouting "GUYS I REALLY HATE MICROTRANSACTIONS UPVOTES PLEASE" for the full 15 minutes or what

I think you've been spending too much time on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jimbot posted:

Well, when the industry stops doing that trash in these 60 dollar games then he'll stop complaining about it.
I think we may be overestimating the value of complaining about microtransactions on the internet.

While it's accurate criticism, merely talking about it changes little. "We're not going to stop complaining about an aspect of your game that's going to be massively profitable for you and which we still bought (except for those of us you gave advance copies, oh by the way we still reviewed the game and broadcasted its positive points to our followers)".

Like, oh no, Warner Brothers are quaking in their wing tips. Wait, hang on. What did they make in pre-orders on steam alone? They're going to be fine.

When critics were cut out of the loop by Bethesda last year, that wasn't just a lovely move - that was a test of the extent to which the impact of criticism can be ignored. What gamers and plenty of critics fail to recognise is that they themselves had a hand in the problems with these games - gaming culture's complacent consumerism enables developers to sell them almost anything, and the best they can do is complain about it. Not enough people were willing to risk missing out on a new game or waiting to listen to critics. It has been proven to big-name publishers and developers that they do not need to even pretend to care.

Imagine for a moment if earlier this year millions of players had outright refused to buy dishonoured 2 because of these practices, or refused to pre-order or purchase the life is strange prequel, because of their anti-union practices, using scabs to complete the project, or simply allowed themselves to miss out on a lord of the rings video game. Do you think that might have more of an effect?

• Locked thread