Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kjermzs posted:

Mega Blocks can gently caress right off. I bought the Arcadia Jumpship because I like Destiny and it was on clearance for $7. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I've had to take an exacto knife to a few pieces to remove excess plastic and get them together. I quit last night when I couldn't get the rear engine piece on. It just keeps popping off for no obvious reason. Also, I had 7 bags opened by step 6.

Sounds like you got a bum set, my friend picked up one of those and I had no problems building it for him.

Also was that the rear engine piece that came off a sprue, or the assembly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, these are the people I have down for a Lester minifig:

Waltzing Along
Carbohydrates
tomapot
PriorMarcus
Huge Fucker Bitch
Kjermzs
Pyroclastic
DrChud

Anyone else?

I'll be down for one if not too late

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Reminder: Double VIP starts tomorrow. 10-25. Also VIPs get a special mini Lego Store set. #40178. Gotta spend $125. Good time to get the fishee shack.

Also, if you can find a MF that $80 coming back to you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the F40 worth getting? Is it realistic? Will I be able to flip the engine cover all the way over so it crashes on top of the car and then I'm bankrupt?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The f40 is a great build, the techniques they use are off the charts. The front hood is a work of art.

The engine is removable without disassembling the car which seems extremely inaccurate though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ugh, now I gotta get it. I guess I'll order it with this double VIP that's starting. I want that, the Ford GTs, and two of the soarer. My budget is 0 dollars.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The F40 is one of the sets I have left on display since I built. Every time I think of taking it down, I look at it for a while and change my mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can never decide between the F40, VW bus, beetle or Mini...I want at least one of them eventually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get them all. Open all bags. Pour them all out in one bucket. Not a table. A bucket. Go hog wild.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For that much money I better be able to combine them all into a huge Millenium Falcon or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

For that much money I better be able to combine them all into a huge Millenium Falcon or something.

Don't make a millennium falcon out of an F40. Every 30,000 parsecs, you'll have to remove the entire hyperspace drive because the belts are on the front and inaccessible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny that looking back, the thing that initially sparked me into buying Lego again was fiddling around with a friends VW camper van probably 5 or 6 years ago and thinking "wow lego has gotten really cool over the years". And I still love that set, but it's actually a little bit pedestrian by modern standards. It's crazy how long it's been in production.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was the space limo for me

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

It was the space limo for me

Same

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do these lego gifts just run until they run out? I bought something a while ago, and got some beach dude. I bought another thing later, and got the beach dude and the cavepeople. Now I'm getting the cave people, plus some ninjago guy, plus the VIP thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cojawfee posted:

Do these lego gifts just run until they run out? I bought something a while ago, and got some beach dude. I bought another thing later, and got the beach dude and the cavepeople. Now I'm getting the cave people, plus some ninjago guy, plus the VIP thing.

Yep, they're promotional so they just hand them out until they're gone, sometimes even if you don't meet the purchase reqs, just so they can make room behind the counter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weird. The VIP giveaway comes in a plastic bag. Not a box. Not a poly. Just a plastic bag.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I wish the Saturn V was in stock during double points.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I find it interesting that the SHIELD Helicarrier is still advertised in the new Lego catalog. It's still hanging around and one of my love to have but where would I actually put it? And if I'm going into the multiple hundred dollar range I might as well buy the UCS snowspeeder first for $200.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Put it on your bed. Like a body pillow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

I find it interesting that the SHIELD Helicarrier is still advertised in the new Lego catalog. It's still hanging around and one of my love to have but where would I actually put it? And if I'm going into the multiple hundred dollar range I might as well buy the UCS snowspeeder first for $200.

UCS Snowspeeder is so great.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lego sent me the promotional minifigures in a separate box from my Saturn V.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smackfu posted:

Lego sent me the promotional minifigures in a separate box from my Saturn V.

Sometimes the promotions are shipped from a different place.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Sometimes the promotions are shipped from a different place.

It was also a VERY snug box so my guess is that they just didn't fit.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I finally broke down and got that Toys R Us XL creative box that's 1600 pieces for $60. No regrets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Habibi posted:

I finally broke down and got that Toys R Us XL creative box that's 1600 pieces for $60. No regrets.

I hadn't seen this but that's a great deal. Tried to see what was inside and it lead me to a video that is not very useful but is sort of adorable. This guy is just so excited to open the bags up lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QoY8nDO5uU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I hadn't seen this but that's a great deal. Tried to see what was inside and it lead me to a video that is not very useful but is sort of adorable. This guy is just so excited to open the bags up lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QoY8nDO5uU

Here yous go.

I first saw this in my local store about a year ago, and barely resisted. Nowadays it seems to be an online nearly-exclusive - but the shipping was free. The parts variety is an excellent supplement. There aren't really any fancy or terribly unusual pieces (generally something I like about the Creative line), but it's a great foundation for taking your fancy pieces places. My son has a ton of plates and tiles and technic pieces from all of his various sets, but a serious dearth of bricks, especially 1-stud-wides. For a remarkably reasonable price, this thing comes with a truckload of bricks of all shapes and sizes and colors. It's pretty nice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I feel the same way. Most of my extra parts are fancy weirdo pieces and I'm left with a dearth of basic bricks. Most of mine come from my childhood Lego that I mixed in with the stuff I've bought in recent years but they still feel scarce. Kind of sucks when you want to just build a little building or something.

Was $60 the original retail cost? That's crazy for 1600 parts.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I feel the same way. Most of my extra parts are fancy weirdo pieces and I'm left with a dearth of basic bricks. Most of mine come from my childhood Lego that I mixed in with the stuff I've bought in recent years but they still feel scarce. Kind of sucks when you want to just build a little building or something.

Was $60 the original retail cost? That's crazy for 1600 parts.

Yeah - https://www.toysrus.com/buy/lego-classic/lego-classic-xl-creative-brick-box-10654-6162662-92490346 - and it's not a sale or anything. Always been that price. drat, looks like it's out of stock even online now. :(

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
That's a ridiculous deal, although even the current range from the Lego shop - https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Classic-ByTheme - are all pretty good deals in their own right. It's pretty much one of the cheapest ways to get random bulk coloured pieces.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Habibi posted:

I first saw this in my local store about a year ago, and barely resisted. Nowadays it seems to be an online nearly-exclusive - but the shipping was free. The parts variety is an excellent supplement. There aren't really any fancy or terribly unusual pieces (generally something I like about the Creative line), but it's a great foundation for taking your fancy pieces places. My son has a ton of plates and tiles and technic pieces from all of his various sets, but a serious dearth of bricks, especially 1-stud-wides. For a remarkably reasonable price, this thing comes with a truckload of bricks of all shapes and sizes and colors. It's pretty nice.

One of the things I noticed with the minecraft sets is that they are riddled with brinks. Even if you don't like minecraft, they're a great way to get large bricks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Its kind of a trip how many sets these days lack actual “two-by” bricks.

I have a decent stick but nearly all have come from PABwall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main issue with the lego bulk boxes is the colors. I get that it's for kids, but as a manchild trying to pad out his collection with foundation pieces I'd be much happier buying a box filled with a single color.

Fortunately technology has provided us a solution: bricklink and/or bricks and pieces.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tomapot posted:

I bought the helicarrier for my birthday and my wife is mad that it's still in the living room. I need to get another ikea shelf for record storage annex in my office and then the helicarrier will go on top of that.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Feenix posted:

Its kind of a trip how many sets these days lack actual "two-by" bricks.

I have a decent stick but nearly all have come from PABwall.

I was just thinking about this the other day... it's true, in regular Lego sets these days you're lucky if you get a couple in weird colours that will simply be used to reinforce something on the inside of the model.

However, Minecraft sets are definitely full of 2xX bricks in all kinds of colours, even unusual ones like transparent green/orange/blue 2x2 bricks which you never see outside of that line.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I grabbed a pair of https://brickset.com/sets/3861-1/LEGO-Champion when I saw them on clearance, just for the 2x4 bricks. The die and microfigs were nice too, but beyond that there wasn't much else in the set.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I wish lego had some more sets like this, but maybe slightly more focused and with specific color themes. Like a "blue and gray houses" or "red and yellow cars" or "green and purple spaceships". It wouldnt have much in the way of building plans, just a bunch of matching parts to make those general things. Or even creative sets for a theme, like just a bunch of random pirate peices or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Kids don't really care what color the bricks are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Kids don't really care what color the bricks are.

Kids just want Light and Dark grey spaceships. Because they are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: your endless hate boner for Star Wars always cracks me up.

Panzerschwein posted:

I wish lego had some more sets like this, but maybe slightly more focused and with specific color themes. Like a "blue and gray houses" or "red and yellow cars" or "green and purple spaceships". It wouldnt have much in the way of building plans, just a bunch of matching parts to make those general things. Or even creative sets for a theme, like just a bunch of random pirate peices or something.

Yes! I have wished this forever. Just do the creative boxes but with themes. Seems like such a no brainer I can't believe they don't do it.