Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wouldn't it be smarter to just wait and match any offers next offseason? I guess I don't understand the rush to wrap him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't it be smarter to just wait and match any offers next offseason? I guess I don't understand the rush to wrap him up.

Much like with the Wiggins deal, the "worst-case scenario" you're averting is that he lives up to the deal but holds it against you for not giving him a max extension ASAP in five years

Doesn't seem to be worth it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ahahaha, this is either going to be hilarious underpaid in 6 months or a 4 year anchor on the franchise

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sixers protected themselves a good bit

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/917504925655097344

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
If the basketball thing doesn't pan out they also have a strong investment in the future of night tennis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

:eyepop: well the process is officially over and they're locked in.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Depending on the details of the guarantees they've built in, I think it makes sense to do that rather than allowing the Knicks/Nets/Suns/god knows who offer him a fully guaranteed contract

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Nice Golden parachute when he retires in 2 years due to injuries.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is it a coincidence that Embiid tweeted himself finally practicing today make that a couple days ago, but still

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

quote:

Sources: Joel Embiid's 5-year extension with 76ers contains guarantee of approximately 50 percent of max $148M salary, w/ super max trigger.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
God bless embiid

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why did the meet the team thread get locked up?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Has there ever been an NBA center that had lower body injuries keep him out of his first few seasons and then gone on to have a successful career?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/917507655039455232

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

slave to my cravings posted:

Has there ever been an NBA center that had lower body injuries keep him out of his first few seasons and then gone on to have a successful career?

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
GET THAT MONEY JOJO

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why did shams delete this tweet

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
All that money and he still won't be able to score a date with Rihanna

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

morestuff posted:

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Tyson Chandler too, although looking at his early years he played a lot more games aside from the '04 season than I thought he did. But there was always something wrong with his back or foot.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MZavagno11/status/917512019087101953

https://twitter.com/MZavagno11/status/917512314433232901

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/917512681153716225

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Boredumb posted:

Rick lights the Kobe signal

Please don't post about me.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Joel just earned $5M for each of the 31 games he played.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God bless that man.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao. You just better hope he's not asking Parsons for advice on how to return as little value as possible on that investment

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There's a little sticker shock on the rookie max amount, a few years ago that same deal % wise would be something like 5 years 85 million, which doesn't sound that bad. If Sham's tweet is true (I didn't think you could structure contracts like that with the designated rookie max, but I am not sure) then it's probably a pretty good deal overall.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Why did the meet the team thread get locked up?

Yeah, whats up with that?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My son JoJo securing the bag, hope he can stay on the floor this season

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

well then

Trust the Process

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fair deal for both sides
I'm happy they got it done

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/917514784316280832

There's going to be all kinds of partial guarantees, bonuses, and protections in this.

But none of that will matter cause Embiid is going to be All-NBA every year for the rest of his hall of fame career.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

But none of that will matter cause Embiid is going to be All-NBA every year for the rest of his hall of fame career.

:awesome:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think this means only one of Simmons or Fultz can get a max extension

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It will likely be Simmons .

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I think this means only one of Simmons or Fultz can get a max extension

I don't think it necessarily means that, but we don't have to worry about it for four years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think it necessarily means that, but we don't have to worry about it for four years.

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm 99%% sure you can only have 2 designated rookies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
someone help me out, how much risk is involved in a contract like this for embiid? what I mean is, god forbid he's forced to end his career because of some health/injury issue, aren't there provisions for teams to get some of that money/space back?

p.s. why's the meet the team thread locked eyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

someone help me out, how much risk is involved in a contract like this for embiid? what I mean is, god forbid he's forced to end his career because of some health/injury issue, aren't there provisions for teams to get some of that money/space back?

p.s. why's the meet the team thread locked eyyyyyyy

The sixers signed FC barcelonas medical guy a month ago just for this reason I think

• Locked thread