Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I'm 99%% sure you can only have 2 designated rookies

Designated is only the fifth year though, you can give a contract that is the same % through the first 4 years, unless you are talking about the Rose rule part (and Embiid does not yet qualify for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid has a 5 year deal so he's one

They only have space for another one more designated rookie deal

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

joel "the process" embiid is a god dang hall of famer

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

euphronius posted:

The sixers signed FC barcelonas medical guy a month ago just for this reason I think

BarcaTech is some good poo poo

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Embiid has a 5 year deal so he's one

They only have space for another one more designated rookie deal

Yeah but you said "max extension" at first which I, and others, read as "max deal" in terms of max salary.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your right I meant designated 5 year max not any max

Sorry

euphronius posted:

So there are three rookie scale max extensions :

1. 4 years / 25% cap first year
2. 5/25%*
3. 5/30%*!

All get 8% annual raises .

All I was saying is that Many of us probably don't think Wiggins is worth the 4/25% max let alone a 5 year max which is apparently on the table

I hope my point is clear now. I apologize for any confusion.

* must be designated by team
! Must meet Rose Rule criteria

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if Yogi getting Seth's starting spot while he is injured will end up being better. Yogi will provide a better second playmaker in the starting 5 than Seth. (though will be worse at shooting.)

I've heard multiple things on how much worry Curry's stress reaction in left tibia should bring. What is the general consensus here?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if Yogi getting Seth's starting spot while he is injured will end up being better. Yogi will provide a better second playmaker in the starting 5 than Seth. (though will be worse at shooting.)

I've heard multiple things on how much worry Curry's stress reaction in left tibia should bring. What is the general consensus here?

Depends if it actually heals. It's partly why Jrue has missed so many games for the Pelicans.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This is going to be a breakout season for Clint Capela or as I often call him Swiss Hakeem

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

This is going to be a breakout season for Clint Capela or as I often call him Swiss Embiid

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
He's actually the Swiss Brandan Wright.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/917564412088737792

Garbage

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dokmo posted:

He's actually the Swiss Brandan Wright.

He has a half decent hook shot but yeah that's probably a fair statement

e: actually Brandan Wright was a shittier rebounder than I remember

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's kind of a bummer how terrible Justise Winslow looks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
EMBIIID could literally be a better Olajuwon or he could be an often injured basket case, they have no choice but to give him the money unless they think the autistic mystic Ben Simmons is some truly special man

Metapod posted:

Why did the meet the team thread get locked up?

Check the newly re-opened thread and you may ascertain why

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

It's kind of a bummer how terrible Justise Winslow looks

I'm incredibly suspicious of all these 2/3s who dominate as 4s in college from Justise Winslow to Stanley Johnson to Jayson Potatum

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I posted this a couple of months ago, but now that the season is just about here I'll re-post. If you want a paper copy of the NBA schedule I have PDFs to download here. I know most people who care about following the schedule just use their phones to look it up, but some people have liked these in the past and I don't know how to show them off other than posting in basketball threads.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Get ready Knicks fans

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If Philly has Barca's blood boy Embiid is going to be a hall of famer no problemo. Glad he got paid. Looking forward to the modern day Hakim dunking on everyone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Malik Monk point guard experiment went surprisingly well tonight

https://twitter.com/nba/status/917576732265340929

Way more willing and able to pass than I expected, didn't turn the ball over much despite being the lead guard for most of the night. Took some dumb shots and looked tired in the fourth but pretty encouraging

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing I know about Monk is that his comp was basically taller Lou Williams. How far off is that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Monk's handle doesn't seem as good but pretty close. Definitely trigger-happy and mixes in some bad shots but showed way more patience than I was expecting.

He ran the first unit in Kemba's spot for a long stretch tonight and didn't take a shot, set guys up, played within the offense. Then when he was surrounded by a bunch of scrubs he jacked up 22 attempts

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tae posted:

The only thing I know about Monk is that his comp was basically taller Lou Williams. How far off is that?

Lou knows how to draw fouls. Otherwise not a terrible comp.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
How uncommon are NBA contracts with unguaranteed money? Feels like the last time it was mentioned was Hinkie trying to screw KJ McDaniels over

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-OMNnTUsR4

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

How uncommon are NBA contracts with unguaranteed money? Feels like the last time it was mentioned was Hinkie trying to screw KJ McDaniels over

It's definitely not as common as like the NFL but you often see contracts with nonguaranteed money instead of a team option at the end because that's more flexible in terms of deadlines for guaranteeing it, and sometimes it's tied to things like all-star/all-nba/all-whatever appearances, things like that. Harden's first contract extension actually wasn't guaranteed on the fifth year until he made the all-star game twice or something.

That said this is the first time I remember it being used to hedge a massive contract against potential injury issues

chunkles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unguaranteed are common among non-super stars. You have plenty of contracts like Rondo with 90% of it being unguaranteed if they're cut before a certain date. It's basically used as a sweetener to guys that are going to get 1 year contracts anyway.

edit: Probably one of the more complicated contract situations is Jrue Holiday, because they boosted his number up with performance clauses that is better for their cap, but way worse for the hard cap because it all counts as if it's reached.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

How uncommon are NBA contracts with unguaranteed money?

What do you mean by unguaranteed? Every team in the league carries three or four or five players with team options. Also at this time most teams are carrying 4 or five players whose contacts don't become fully guaranteed for the next week or two. Or are you only talking about contacts with performance bonuses? Because in that case, I think most of them are secret, bit there aren't many of them, probably one per team on average. (Totally guessing at that number.)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ajkalan posted:

I posted this a couple of months ago, but now that the season is just about here I'll re-post. If you want a paper copy of the NBA schedule I have PDFs to download here. I know most people who care about following the schedule just use their phones to look it up, but some people have liked these in the past and I don't know how to show them off other than posting in basketball threads.

I posted it on another forum and on twitter. It's a small forum and I don't have many followers, though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm incredibly suspicious of all these 2/3s who dominate as 4s in college from Justise Winslow to Stanley Johnson to Jayson Potatum

Imagine the Beasley hype if he were coming out now.

tatankatonk posted:

Incentive pay is non guaranteed and common but otherwise, not very. And incentives are often "likely" which means they count against the cap and are just hedges against a guy falling apart. Other than that it's sometimes put in the last year of a contract to make a guy more traceable - the guy gets more yearly than market and a high chance of being bought out so he can ring chase in his final year.

dokmo posted:

Lou knows how to draw fouls. Otherwise not a terrible comp.

No rookie draws fouls so probably not that important a differentiator. Yet

chunkles posted:

He has a half decent hook shot but yeah that's probably a fair statement

e: actually Brandan Wright was a shittier rebounder than I remember

Wright is a worse defender too but on O I think it's a fair dig.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

What do you mean by unguaranteed? Every team in the league carries three or four or five players with team options. Also at this time most teams are carrying 4 or five players whose contacts don't become fully guaranteed for the next week or two. Or are you only talking about contacts with performance bonuses? Because in that case, I think most of them are secret, bit there aren't many of them, probably one per team on average. (Totally guessing at that number.)

Demps really likes them. Asik definitely has lots tied up in unlikely bonuses in addition to Jrue's. I wouldn't doubt if most of their players sans AD has a significant amount of unlikely bonuses built into their contracts.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

No rookie draws fouls so probably not that important a differentiator. Yet

Yeah but he wasn't good at this in college either, a very good predictor of NBA foul drawing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Yeah but he wasn't good at this in college either, a very good predictor of NBA foul drawing.

Oh I see what you mean. I should've known you were being more specific about not doing the things he'll need to do to get calls later. I think that's teachable but then again some guys just hate contact

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/917535208060211200

It's time to play the game. Or A game.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

tatankatonk posted:

TBF McDaniels was being absurd and demanding the equivalent of a mid-1st round contract despite being picked at #32.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/highkin/status/917549632623869953

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they gotta print that poo poo in paperback already

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

HOW DO THE BULLS HAVE A ROSTER FULL OF LITERAL NBA PLAYERS WHO CANNOT FINISH A LAYUP HOW DO YOU MAKE IT TO THE NBA WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO MAKE A LAYUP I DON'T UNDERSTAND

The 2018 Bulls should watch mid-1990s Bulls highlights until they can replicate them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7iDgU8YfY

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't know any off the top of my head, but are there any modern players who are good at the FT line but terrible from distance?

The prime examples last year were Giannis Antetokounmpo and DeMar DeRozan.

Spacebump posted:

Don't most championship teams have multiple hall of famers?

Yes, but no championship team had two of the best fifteen scorers in league history and the most versatile player ever in accumulating the big five stats. If a team has Julius Erving, Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley you don't give much credit to Paul Pressey.

Dejan Bimble posted:

But no player like that has been the best player on a championship team since?? Pau and Shaq were arguably better than Kobe.

In the 2000-2002 finals Shaq had more than double the GmSc of Kobe:

code:
440.8	Shaquille O'Neal
215.5	Kobe Bryant
In the 2000 finals Ron Harper put up better numbers than Kobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I watched Terry Crews on Desus and Mero then it reminded me of when the USA team singed 1000 miles and then I remembered (again) why we watch the bestest league in town.

• Locked thread