Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't think Tom would have had much of a problem with Audra because it's well established that IT can hypnotize vulnerable adults; once they were that close to IT, she and Tom probably sleepwalked through the tunnels together.

It doesn't seem as if Henry Bowers ever made it into IT's inner lair; Belch and Criss seem to have died relatively soon after entering the sewers and Bowers tried to flee the sewers after that, eventually making his way to the surface.

Its actually mentioned in the book he makes it all the way to IT's door, and the shape on it looks like his father to him, though it doesn't say he ever went inside. He apparently spent far longer than the losers, just lost wandering around in the darkness after it was all over before getting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Has anyone started Sleeping Beauties? Thoughts? I looked on Amazon to see what people are saying, but it's pretty evenly split between five-star "OMG I LOVE STEPHEN KING I LOVE EVERYTHING HE'S EVER WRITTEN!" and one-star "LIBTARD MAKING FUN OF OUR GREAT PRESIDENT THIS IS TRASH" reviews, so no real info there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

April posted:

Has anyone started Sleeping Beauties? Thoughts? I looked on Amazon to see what people are saying, but it's pretty evenly split between five-star "OMG I LOVE STEPHEN KING I LOVE EVERYTHING HE'S EVER WRITTEN!"

Sounds like everyone from this thread already reviewed it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would objectively be amazed if Sleeping Beauties turns out to be good

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Is the writing quality/prose in Sleeping Beauties noticeably diluted, different, or subpar due to Owen King's involvement here? There's nothing I hate more than lovely writing.

The NYT, Amazon, et al. are giving it positive reviews, though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the premise is dumb and it's a million pages long

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the premise is dumb and it's a million pages long

Stephen King Microcosm 1990-present

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seriously though he probably shouldn't have quit drugs

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hearing really good write ups so far the Gerald's Game movie. Anyone seen it yet?

I'm one of the few who liked the book (read it twice) and can really picture the film working, sort of the way Misery did; in terms of structure anyway (being trapped, etc.).

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously though he probably shouldn't have quit drugs

You're probably joking but there's an argument to be made there about drug usage related to creativity. It's a fine line. Many musicians are noticeably worse when they get sober. Some get worse as they get more hosed up.

Still making my way through On Writing and finally got to the part where he actually talks about writing.

It's interesting and good, but one thing I take strong exception to is his rather stubborn insistence that you really don't "need a plot". I think this tendency shows up in his work a lot, usually to his detriment. I can see how sticking rigidly to something can hamper creative new ideas you might have along the way but I suspect that also that doing that takes a LOT of the fun of the writing process which is mainly why he doesn't do it. Not that it would make his stiff worse or better, just less fun to do.

I get the idea of "free forming" and seeing where the story takes you but, much like a jam band for instance, I think the lack of a goal leads to rough landings/endings.

I think this applies to pretty much anything.

An NFL running back can improvise but there's still a play that's called. An intent at least. A painter can go full "zen" with a canvas but I think it usually helps to have some idea of how you want it to turn out or "end" and that doing some research or studies usually leads to better outcomes. You can take a blind road trip somewhere with no plan at all (which I've done) but it's usually good to know when you're coming back, how much money you have, a map, etc.

A guitar player can come out and "jam" for two hours but it usually helps to have a song written somewhere.

I most appreciated King's lessons on economy of language in this book; the idea of eliminating unnecessary words, overblown vocabulary and superfluous exposition - things I REALLY need to learn regarding how I write - and allowing the viewer to insert details that relate to their life experiences to add flavor and atmosphere that they can relate to.

King could have probably made this whole post on a Twitter account, for example, and written it much better.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 30, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Hearing really good write ups so far the Gerald's Game movie. Anyone seen it yet?

This seems like it would be pretty hard to adapt to film.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

BiggerBoat posted:

I enjoyed it, and thought they did a surprisingly good job translating it into film. Been a while since I read the book but pretty much every major detail I remember from it was in the movie, so they seem pretty spot on too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

withak posted:

This seems like it would be pretty hard to adapt to film.

That's what the reviewer said as well but I'm inclined to disagree.

Yeah, a lot of it takes place in the mind of the protagonist, which is always an issue with adapting King, but in this case, almost all of the exposition can be handled via flashbacks and hallucination fever dreams where they can cut away. The rest is just the actress reacting, struggling and emoting. Think James Caan in his solo scenes in Misery or Dee Wallace in the car in Cujo

When I read it, I recall thinking it'd make a good movie that was cheap to make and wouldn't be hard to film at all. poo poo, you could stage it as a loving play if you could find a stray dog that was trained well enough to play ball and stay on script. It's practically one set.

Speaking of that bolded part, The Long Walk should be a no brainer by now. King is on fire as far as cinema goes at least so let's get that fucker made.

Huh...I guess no one's watched GG. I'm gonna give it a go tonight and report back. Pretty sure I'm the only goon here who liked the book. Here's the AV CLub review:

https://www.avclub.com/apologies-to-it-but-geralds-game-shows-how-to-really-a-1818816026

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm one of the few who liked the book (read it twice) and can really picture the film working, sort of the way Misery did; in terms of structure anyway (being trapped, etc.).

It was fairly close to the book. Better than I expected it to be. Some really gross out scenes the flesh tearing off her hand as she pulled it through the cuffs at the end made me wince

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So Gerald's Game on Netflix.

I liked it pretty well. It was extremely faithful to the book, almost to a fault, and they did a great job showing Jessie's pain, desperation, fear, panic and discomfort. A lot of it hit home on a very visceral level. Only thing i can think that was different from the book was that I think they skipped a night, which was probably for the better for pacing, but lessened the idea that she might die of thirst or starvation and detracted a little from her straits. Maybe I'm misremembering the book but it seemed like she was in the bed for one more day/night. The way it was filmed and presented is very spot on to how how I pictured it in my head.

If you didn't like the book, I can't see how you could possibly like the movie though, and it seems few people liked the book so maybe the movie sucks too. It was THAT faithful, including the "twist" which somehow felt even flatter than the way it was handled in the novel and was my only real complaint with the movie. The twist didn't bug me in the book but here it did for some reason and felt weirdly tacked on; almost unnecessary.

Made me reconsider why so many here disliked it because I didn't think it was needed here at all and it felt extraneous so I saw it through different eyes. I think with the book, I was already invested and just kept plowing through the epilogue but here it seemed weirdly out of place and added a layer that wasn't needed.

April
Jul 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked it pretty well. It was extremely faithful to the book, almost to a fault, and they did a great job showing Jessie's pain, desperation, fear, panic and discomfort. A lot of it hit home on a very visceral level. Only thing i can think that was different from the book was that I think they skipped a night, which was probably for the better for pacing, but lessened the idea that she might die of thirst or starvation and detracted a little from her straits. Maybe I'm misremembering the book but it seemed like she was in the bed for one more day/night. The way it was filmed and presented is very spot on to how how I pictured it in my head.

If you didn't like the book, I can't see how you could possibly like the movie though, and it seems few people liked the book so maybe the movie sucks too. It was THAT faithful, including the "twist" which somehow felt even flatter than the way it was handled in the novel and was my only real complaint with the movie. The twist didn't bug me in the book but here it did for some reason and felt weirdly tacked on; almost unnecessary.

Made me reconsider why so many here disliked it because I didn't think it was needed here at all and it felt extraneous so I saw it through different eyes. I think with the book, I was already invested and just kept plowing through the epilogue but here it seemed weirdly out of place and added a layer that wasn't needed.

I think this is pretty spot-on, but I'll add this. I read the book a few times when I was younger & really liked it. My husband had never heard of it, never watched the trailer, had no idea what it was about AT ALL, so we were coming at it from two entirely different perspectives. I enjoyed it, because of how closely it stuck to the book, but wasn't surprised/shocked by anything I saw. I thought that the Moonlight Man looked kind of goofy, but overall, it was decent. My husband, on the other hand, was blown away. He did not expect the level of darkness that he got, especially the eclipse sequence. To him, the movie was shocking and deeply disturbing, and he was still saying "that was a total mind gently caress" this morning. I guess what I'm getting at is, a lot of how "good" the movie is depends on your expectations, or familiarity with the source material. If you go into it already knowing everything that happens, it's a decent way to kill a couple of hours. If you have no idea what you're getting into, well, you have NO IDEA what you're getting into.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

April posted:

I think this is pretty spot-on, but I'll add this. I read the book a few times when I was younger & really liked it. My husband had never heard of it, never watched the trailer, had no idea what it was about AT ALL, so we were coming at it from two entirely different perspectives. I enjoyed it, because of how closely it stuck to the book, but wasn't surprised/shocked by anything I saw. I thought that the Moonlight Man looked kind of goofy, but overall, it was decent. My husband, on the other hand, was blown away. He did not expect the level of darkness that he got, especially the eclipse sequence. To him, the movie was shocking and deeply disturbing, and he was still saying "that was a total mind gently caress" this morning. I guess what I'm getting at is, a lot of how "good" the movie is depends on your expectations, or familiarity with the source material. If you go into it already knowing everything that happens, it's a decent way to kill a couple of hours. If you have no idea what you're getting into, well, you have NO IDEA what you're getting into.

It WAS very much a mindfuck and pulled no punches. Good post.

There were several scenes that had me wincing and grimacing (in a good way I mean) and were very effective.

I thought the performances, the direction and the pacing was very good. Only thing I might change would be to make the Moonlight Man a little more shadowy and harder to make out or discern. Meaning, make him more of a suggestion and give him a "double take" style of appearance. Not sure how to describe what I mean but the film did it a few times, where you BARELY saw him and then when Jessie looked back couldn't see anything. The more revealed he was, the less scary it got somehow because I think it would have worked better as a way to show that Jessie MAY have been imagining him. Maybe it's because I already knew the score though.

The eclipse scene and the father/daughter flashbacks were very well done and really loving creepy.

I think you could make a really good play out of this but I'd leave out the epilogue if I were doing it.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

As someone who never got round to reading Gerald's Game, am I missing anything vital if I just watch the movie first?

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

BiggerBoat posted:

This was pretty much my take too. Granted, I read the book almost a decade ago so my memory was a little foggy but everything seem pretty much in line with the book. Also even though I expected it the scene where she cut her wrist and slid her had through the handcuff freaked me the hell out. Fantastic gore effects there. Also, the moonlight man was played by the giant/fireman from Twin Peaks!.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

As someone who never got round to reading Gerald's Game, am I missing anything vital if I just watch the movie first?

No. The film is almost a literal translation of the book.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

April posted:

This is pretty much exactly how me and my wife experienced it.
I found the abuse scene extremely uncomfortable. Stuck with me a few days as well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I dug On Writing but if you want to read the exact polar opposite of that read Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. It's fascinating to compare them side by side in regards to writing technique and the philosophy of the author. Brooks even mentions On Writing a few times and how much he hates it, which is amusing because I think both books offer sound advice on the craft.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I dug On Writing but if you want to read the exact polar opposite of that read Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. It's fascinating to compare them side by side in regards to writing technique and the philosophy of the author. Brooks even mentions On Writing a few times and how much he hates it, which is amusing because I think both books offer sound advice on the craft.

Just ordered a copy. I love On Writing a whole bunch and it really reinvigorated my passion for writing, but I totally see how a lot of it just doesn't apply to aspiring authors. I was waiting for his chapter about crafting his stories just to see how he explained himself. Hahah.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

Just ordered a copy. I love On Writing a whole bunch and it really reinvigorated my passion for writing, but I totally see how a lot of it just doesn't apply to aspiring authors. I was waiting for his chapter about crafting his stories just to see how he explained himself. Hahah.

I'm not a writer, and Gary Braunbeck is relatively unknown, but I enjoyed this one a lot. It's similar to On Writing, in that it combines autobiography, the writing process, what makes a good story, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Each-Their-Darkness-Gary-Braunbeck/dp/0984553517

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I never read Gerald's Game but watched it on netflix the other day. I thought it was pretty decent but I didn't like the "twist" near the end at all. It just made his previous actions seem weird/bizarre. Also at the very end where she confronts him it felt pretty awkward. I thought she'd at least ask why he didn't kill her, but instead all she said was "you're smaller than I remember. It just seemed kind of pointless. She could have at least asked for her ring back.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
He also looked too goofy to be scary. Like an animatronic from The Smurfs dark ride or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, the twist didn't work at all and was a big reason many hated the book. I never minded it in the novel but, man, did it ever fall flat in the movie and now, seeing it played it out, I can understand the negative reaction better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean part of the "twist" in the book is that it's also still left ambiguous how much was real and how much wasn't.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
I saw Stephen and Owen on their book tour last night in Toronto. Haven't been to something quite like that before but it was pretty neat. First Owen did a reading, then dad, then they sat on stage and asked each other questions about writing and just kind of shot the poo poo. Took some questions from the audience at the end.

To be honest I've never read any of Owen's work but they were both pretty charming and funny. One lady did ask something like "why did Under the Dome get canceled" and King just deadpanned "because it was bad."

1200 seat venue and your ticket got you a copy of the book after. 400 were signed and sadly I wasn't lucky enough to snag one of those.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
I have trouble wanting to read any of Kings books that don't touch on the Dark Towers. are there any of them worth reading?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BraveJoe posted:

I have trouble wanting to read any of Kings books that don't touch on the Dark Towers. are there any of them worth reading?

most of them are better than the dark tower books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BraveJoe posted:

Yeah, pretty much anything he wrote in the 70's to the mid-80s is better than The Dark Tower series.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hell even in the books that are connected to the Dark Tower usually the worst parts are the parts that reference it

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

I saw Stephen and Owen on their book tour last night in Toronto. Haven't been to something quite like that before but it was pretty neat. First Owen did a reading, then dad, then they sat on stage and asked each other questions about writing and just kind of shot the poo poo. Took some questions from the audience at the end.

To be honest I've never read any of Owen's work but they were both pretty charming and funny. One lady did ask something like "why did Under the Dome get canceled" and King just deadpanned "because it was bad."

1200 seat venue and your ticket got you a copy of the book after. 400 were signed and sadly I wasn't lucky enough to snag one of those.

A friend of mine went and was one of the lucky ones. Sounds like it was pretty good!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You guys didn't lie when you said that that the dark tower movie completely misses the mark, shameful for King to have endorsed this generic mess.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You guys didn't lie when you said that that the dark tower movie completely misses the mark, shameful for King to have endorsed this generic mess.
What could have been if only the DT film were delayed a year or two, in the wake of IT's success...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm still amazed that both IT and the DT films weren't turned into a TV miniseries, where they'd both have worked much better without the absurd marketing pressure that fatally compromised the latter.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I put things on top of the books on my shelves when I don't have another home for them. Knick knacks and other poo poo, I've been doing it for years and not really thinking about it. I was looking at my shelf today and noticed this.

All things serve the beam.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So in the Mr. Mercedes miniseries...
is there the subplot where Brady is planning on killing the dog? It made me sick to my stomach when I read it, and don't really want to relive that even though I know there's a payoff when his plan backfires.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I'm still amazed that both IT and the DT films weren't turned into a TV miniseries, where they'd both have worked much better without the absurd marketing pressure that fatally compromised the latter.
Probably a rights-holders issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

So in the Mr. Mercedes miniseries...
is there the subplot where Brady is planning on killing the dog? It made me sick to my stomach when I read it, and don't really want to relive that even though I know there's a payoff when his plan backfires.

It's there, but it's only a quick scene that seems rushed and not well put together. It does serve it's purpose to advance the plot later, but my wife had no idea what happened until Brady spells it out for the audience.