Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
It's a mechanism for the head of border force to reconcile abs data with electoral commission and centrelink data (centrelink recipients are being automatically enrolled) so that he has a list of people who disagree with him

Marriage equality is mostly inconsequential at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

norp posted:

Pity about the missing rain.

Yeah.

Also his argument was literally "people die in cold weather, so less cold weather is good". It was far stupider than I thought.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

2800 suicides is completely different from 3000 suicides.

They reported the total number of suicides, not the number of LGBT suicides and certainly not the number of LGBT suicides that could be attributed to marriage law.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

2800 suicides is completely different from 3000 suicides.

Suicides /= suicide attempts, but what an utter loving piece of poo poo for crying over a mistake in math.

Emotional blackmail :qq:

If you want some fun, google him and westpac. I assumed there'd be one thing about same sex marriage but boy howdy has he been crying about westpac not approving adani.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hakimashou posted:

If you guys vote down gay marriage in a referendum, you will go back to being worse than Britain again, the worst English-speaking country.

I assure you, we're trying our best.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah.

Also his argument was literally "people die in cold weather, so less cold weather is good". It was far stupider than I thought.

I'm not shocked by the complete disregard for human suffering and scientific consensus so much as I'm shocked that he doesn't even couch it in the usual weasel words

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Imagine being this strident about something that you've never put any thought into understanding. I hope he just goes away, go live in Britain Tony

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Sparticle posted:

Police shouldn't have to do poo poo. By fining the individual workers they are just helping the taxi corps ignore the issue they created in order to keep profits. They could easily fix the problem by changing wage structure but that would hurt the bottom line so they never bother. The government could also force them to pay normal wages but they would rather have the police gently caress over the drivers. It's almost like the police exists to keep the working class in order...

I bring up strikes not because it is a perfect comparison but because the rhetoric used against drivers is the same used against unions. It's hard for a strike to avoid affecting the public. They both harm profit and grow public awareness to the issue. You can minimise the latter by framing it as the individual workers being greedy/lazy as opposed to the companies seeking profit.
Sure the system of rigged to gently caress those at the bottom. That said people who need a short ride from the airport ask a cab and get a flat no. They call the company and get gently caress all, so they complain to the cops because the driver is breaking the law. Then the cops do what they can and find the driver's they catch doing it. If you think the can company should pay the fine I agree but getting mas because the cops did what they could so that people can get to where they want to be is odd.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

EoinCannon posted:

I'm not shocked by the complete disregard for human suffering and scientific consensus so much as I'm shocked that he doesn't even couch it in the usual weasel words

old people keel over in hot weather as well so thats an upside

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

old people keel over in hot weather as well so thats an upside
Not if you give them coal power air conditioning you idiot.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The amount of poo poo I get from taxi drivers at the airport because I live close by is unbelivable. Like I actually get told off and sworn at for taking a taxi to my house.

They tell me to take cabs not from the rank but flag down ones that are dropping people off so I do that now.

but I'm probably going to have some guy screaming at me for not taking his cab from the rank that he's queued up for...

Make it real hard not to use uber taxi industry, ffs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

foolish_fool posted:

Would Tony even consider the inquisition bad in any other context?

Well, they hurt a lot of women, so he'd probably be fine with them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hooman posted:

The amount of poo poo I get from taxi drivers at the airport because I live close by is unbelivable. Like I actually get told off and sworn at for taking a taxi to my house.

They tell me to take cabs not from the rank but flag down ones that are dropping people off so I do that now.

but I'm probably going to have some guy screaming at me for not taking his cab from the rank that he's queued up for...

It’s going to be funny once the rest of the world drops Uber and backwards Australia keeps truckin’ on.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cartoon posted:

Not if you give them coal power air conditioning you idiot.
Lol if you think nursing homes are willing to fork out for that

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

It’s going to be funny once the rest of the world drops Uber and backwards Australia keeps truckin’ on.

They will launch and Lyft and stuff here eventually and people will have ways to leave Uber.

hooman posted:

I photograph their cards and call the commission from the car now. I had some bloke go off at me for flying into Melbourne and needing to attend a meeting in Essendon Fields. Like I'm trying to mentally prepare for my job and I've got this dickhead screaming at me for only providing a short fare. Just drive ten minutes back to the airport and try again fuckhead or pick some one up at the heavily frequented office park I'm headed to that always has work.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 10, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

hooman posted:

Last night my colleague and I caught a taxi from the airport to Chippendale and the taxi driver was abusive that we were only going a short way, didn't know where our hotel was or any of the main streets in the area (lol Abercrombie? never heard of it mate) and generally slow and useless. Really makes me glad that my work has an Uber account and encouarges its usage since gently caress taxis are terrible.

Looking forward to the more ethical alternative, though. Hurry up and get here!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
You see, Sparticle? Cabbies doing themselves out of dollars because they're loving stupid.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I live 5 minutes drive from Adelaide airport and my partner has been abused in the past for it being too short a fare.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I live 5 minutes drive from Adelaide airport and my partner has been abused in the past for it being too short a fare.

I have very clear memories of my many trips this year to Sydney for work where we need to do very short trips across the city and getting varying levels of poo poo from taxis. Each time we use Ubers they're friendly and pleasant.

I dislike the company but will definitely keep using them all the time for the time-being as taxis are just pathetically bad and actively undermining any support they might still have.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Starshark posted:

You see, Sparticle? Cabbies doing themselves out of dollars because they're loving stupid.

Yeah, guess I was wrong. Turns out all cabbies are trash and don't deserve reasonable pay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like people complaining that uber is illegal or whatever when I've been subjected to illegal poo poo by cab drivers more times than I can count. This isn't even considering the dangerous driving they engage in while I'm in the car.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

iajanus posted:

I have very clear memories of my many trips this year to Sydney for work where we need to do very short trips across the city and getting varying levels of poo poo from taxis. Each time we use Ubers they're friendly and pleasant.

I dislike the company but will definitely keep using them all the time for the time-being as taxis are just pathetically bad and actively undermining any support they might still have.

Reminder that if uber drivers fall below a certain rating they can no longer earn money.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Sparticle posted:

Yeah, guess I was wrong. Turns out all cabbies are trash and don't deserve reasonable pay.

I don't think anyone thinks they don't deserve decent pay but on the flip side users don't deserve to have to walk or w/e because the cabbie CBF doing a short trip. You are public transport, transport the public FFS.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I used to have the opposite problem. Several times I tried to catch a taxi from a rank in Caulfield heading to the airport.

On one occasion the first four cabs all said no because their shift was nearly finished and I had to sit around waiting. I should have called an uber.

You really can't win.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sparticle posted:

As a very frequent taxi user for ten years I agree.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Reminder that if uber drivers fall below a certain rating they can no longer earn money.

Reminder that people in most jobs lose the ability to earn money at their jobs if their performance is deemed poor enough. Whilst this isn't the best method of doing so it's not exactly unprecedented.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Maybe it's camaraderie between lovely jobs, but cab drivers are easily the nicest group of customers I get.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

iajanus posted:

Reminder that people in most jobs lose the ability to earn money at their jobs if their performance is deemed poor enough. Whilst this isn't the best method of doing so it's not exactly unprecedented.

Yeah, but this usually isn't in the hands of the general public. They have a very sinister compulsion to be as nice as possible, because one more shithead who expected you to treat them like royalty could lose you your source of income.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, but this usually isn't in the hands of the general public. They have a very sinister compulsion to be as nice as possible, because one more shithead who expected you to treat them like royalty could lose you your source of income.

It might not be directly in the hands of the general public, but it's only slightly abstracted away in other public facing jobs. Customer complaints regularly lead (or figure into) people's sackings, and KPIs regarding to client satisfaction are pretty normal. I don't know if you've never dealt with people in customer service but the same pressure to be nice to customers is involved all the time with businesses.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

iajanus posted:

Most jobs aren't subject to the whim of capricious shitheads hitting "3/5" just because they felt like it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seemlar posted:

Most jobs aren't subject to the whim of capricious shitheads hitting "3/5" just because they felt like it.

Do people hit anything other than one or five?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Seemlar posted:

I take it you haven't worked in call-centre jobs with customer surveys liberally sprinkled around (those things are creeping into lots of places nowadays, not exactly subtle about why)?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I gave this thread a 3/5

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

iajanus posted:

I take it you haven't worked in call-centre jobs with customer surveys liberally sprinkled around (those things are creeping into lots of places nowadays, not exactly subtle about why)?

These happen at my work, but I don't get Insta-fired for it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

norp posted:

Pity about the missing rain.

Puerto Rico / Florida wishes it missed the rain

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

I don't think you get instafired for one bad customer as an uber driver. They complain to me about idiot 1 voters all the time but they're still on the road.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Zenithe posted:

If you got a sufficiently high number of them, what would the result be? Presumably disciplinary steps that would eventually lead to your being fired if the trajectory didn't improve?

I'm not saying Uber is a good company, merely that this isn't really a revolutionary approach to KPIs or customer satisfaction monitoring. I also like that it's a two-way street for the customers, too.

Reading through their documentation it looks like they at least are mildly fair when downvotes are customer-attributed to things outside driver control (not counting them in rating). Also, considering ratings are based on the average of (up-to) the last 500 trips, the chance of a few jerks causing a massive swing in an established driver's rating is low. Whilst people are frequently terrible, it would require a massive group to affect a statistically significant amount of people. They also (claim) to only deactivate accounts after a sufficiently low average and multiple warnings, which I deem fair (in theory).

Of course, this is based on their documentation; they're probably far worse in real life. But they're the one we have now that will hopefully be replaced by better ones in the future. At least they're better than taxis in a lot of ways.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

JBP posted:

Do people hit anything other than one or five?

I have, but the only three or so times I've done it has been because the driving was loving terrible. Turns out that two of those times, the drivers were off-duty Taxi drivers doing Uber in their own cars. One driver, when casually asked if he's a taxi driver too, happily replied with "Yes, you can tell by the driving quality right?!" and I was like... yeah, you really can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Saw an airplane skywriting a massive "NO" in the sky above Melbourne just now :(

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread