Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iospace posted:

especially when you live in Wisconsin where the roads are poo poo.

It's not just me then, who's looking at people who make rally-capable struts for the WRX and am wondering if I can get them to make something for our roads? :D

And GRM did a comparison with equivalently-ish tweaked ND vs 124s too, and the same basic conclusion held, if somewhat closer. OTOH, I still have no desire to give Fiat my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

http://www.etoolpros.com/automotive-tools/KDT-80319.html

10x10mm

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This hits a little too close to home.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So that's the secret!

Serious chat - who here has lost the most 10mm sockets?

I'm down 4.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goober Peas posted:

So that's the secret!

Serious chat - who here has lost the most 10mm sockets?

I'm down 4.

Buddy you aren't even in the running. I probably lost 4 the first time I replaced an air filter on my Honda Civic in the mid 90s.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I never lost one. My 20 y/o sidchrome one is kind of worn out. I guess always in use means it never gets lost?
I lost more 13mm than I care to count though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i still have my original craftsman 10mm from 19 years ago

anyway, timetofap.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/10/dimmack-datsun-gtz-build/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

i still have my original craftsman 10mm from 19 years ago

anyway, timetofap.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/10/dimmack-datsun-gtz-build/

Awesome build, till they went with that loving retarded wheel/tire/flare combination.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

Awesome build, till they went with that loving retarded wheel/tire/flare combination.
Speedhunters.txt

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Barn Find Hunter series on Youtube is pretty cool and this wagon he found is loving awesome. Start at 11:16 to see the wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKjWKq5Hsfo

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I agree that the wheels and total lack of sidewall in this case suck, but huge flares and meaty tires on old cars are great

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

MrYenko posted:

Look at this guy and how wrong he is. Everything about that 240 looks rad as gently caress :allears:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
It does look rad as gently caress but its kinda getting boring seeing people build drift cars because by definition they are really lovely cars. I mean i get the allure of drifting and general hooning but if you build a car for just that its not a very good car. Like just slapping power on car that cant handle it and then going lol its a drift car isnt a bad idea its just not impressive. Its still a cool car though.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Domestic Amuse posted:

Bet he lost it immediately after making that video.

Needs a dickbutt edit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DogonCrook posted:

It does look rad as gently caress but its kinda getting boring seeing people build drift cars because by definition they are really lovely cars. I mean i get the allure of drifting and general hooning but if you build a car for just that its not a very good car. Like just slapping power on car that cant handle it and then going lol its a drift car isnt a bad idea its just not impressive. Its still a cool car though.

LOLwut drift cars are lovely by definition???? Not good????

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There is a huge difference between a drift missile and top spec car.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
But it's not meant to be a drift car? It's meant to be a Time Attack car?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dannywilson posted:

But it's not meant to be a drift car? It's meant to be a Time Attack car?

quote:

Further to that, this was going to be a competitive drift car. Cool!

quote:

Do you think we’ll see Joel Dimmack and his amazing Nissan GT-Z creation compete at WTAC’s Honeywell Garrett Drift Challenge? Place your guess in the comments section below. Luckily for us, we only need to wait a few short days to find out. I’m unsure if we’ll see the car ripping up the asphalt at Sydney Motorsport Park, but I am quietly confident. We’ll have to monitor his Instagram account, @Dimmack_Driven, until then for hints.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOLwut drift cars are lovely by definition???? Not good????

Yeah lovely is a bit harsh but yeah id take a track tuned car over a drift tuned car for sure. I mean part of it is that with a drift car i just cant see how one is better than the other on paper or even get an idea so they all kinda blend together in my mind. Like is there much of a difference between a 600hp and a 700hp drift car? I have no idea so its lost on me. On a track tuned or even a street car ive got an idea so the number kinda means something.

I guess honestly i get drifting but not drifting competitions and the more serious side of it so those cars arent for me and i really dont mean to insult them or people that like it i just have no way to judge on anything other than looks and "yeah thall go sideways real good"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That car is loving cool.

*edit: drifting seems to have gone big horsepower and hydro brakes, I still prefer watching old 150bhp AE86s get sideways purely from flicking the things. As a spectacle big bhp poo poo is fun though...

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 9, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Barn Find Hunter series on Youtube is pretty cool and this wagon he found is loving awesome. Start at 11:16 to see the wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKjWKq5Hsfo

That's a cool old family hauler :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Instead of making drift cars with 700hp why don't they just do 200hp and give them really really skinny tires?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That car is loving cool.

*edit: drifting seems to have gone big horsepower and hydro brakes, I still prefer watching old 150bhp AE86s get sideways purely from flicking the things. As a spectacle big bhp poo poo is fun though...

.....as oppose to cable brakes?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think he means like a bunch of funky electro-hydraulics that let you only brake on the left front or proportion the braking in fractions of a percentage as opposed to just tossing around short wheelbase cars which drift due to their inherent design.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

davebo posted:

Instead of making drift cars with 700hp why don't they just do 200hp and give them really really skinny tires?

dont make nearly enough smoke with that setup.

Gotta breath in all those airborne R-compounds for the true drift experience.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DICK DICER posted:

.....as oppose to cable brakes?

Drivers rely on the handbrake more these days it seems, early days of drift and most Japanese stuff is still basically using the car's weight to get it sideways. Modern stuff is just turn the wheel and grab massive amounts of handbrake and then just plant it because you've got a minimum of 350bhp going to the back wheels.

It's cool but not really true to the spirit of dorifto.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They do limit tires to street compounds in formula d. And those cars are very impressive and well built. Having a good suspension guy is key there as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That car is loving cool.

Even Mr Drift King himself would be hard on the handbrake to set the car up. Despite what it looks like an old Sprinter is a oval office to set up just by trying to scando it, you are leaning hard on the handbrake to get it to drift hard. Old Sprinters are drum braked and as much as drums loving suck, it does make for a more effective handbrake when you want to use it hard to initiate a slide - hydros are fairly much if you got a tight rear diff or disc brakes.

Depending on the corner of course.

davebo posted:

Not enough tyre blazing. Also these days the big hp cars aren't just smoke showers, they can nail a 5 cent piece in ways the early small lower hp cars cant easily match even with a top level driver driving either variant.

quote:

id take a track tuned car over a drift tuned car for sure

Most drift cars are in fact extremely good track cars with ridiculously good suspension engineering. To be able to put a car on the dot with the rears blazing takes a very well sorted chassis that also crosses over to just plain going fast around a corner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 9, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like that some folks know what the hell is up with good drift cars itt.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Even Mr Drift King himself would be hard on the handbrake to set the car up. Despite what it looks like an old Sprinter is a oval office to set up just by trying to scando it, you are leaning hard on the handbrake to get it to drift hard. Old Sprinters are drum braked and as much as drums loving suck, it does make for a more effective handbrake when you want to use it hard to initiate a slide - hydros are fairly much if you got a tight rear diff or disc brakes.

Depending on the corner of course.

This dude is just super good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ropKAFjyjyU

quote:

TOYOTA SPRINTER TRUENO AE86 with drysumped 1620cc 4AG

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 10, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Drivers rely on the handbrake more these days it seems, early days of drift and most Japanese stuff is still basically using the car's weight to get it sideways. Modern stuff is just turn the wheel and grab massive amounts of handbrake and then just plant it because you've got a minimum of 350bhp going to the back wheels.

It's cool but not really true to the spirit of dorifto.

Ummm... I really gotta pull you up on that one as the Japanese from the outset were using big hp RWD to break the rear end loose on high speed stuff and they were using hydros also from day one. Hell they were using nitros

The big difference between the beginnings and now is the prevalence of V8's... which does make for a car that doesnt dance as well as the big hp turbo cars. And yes the American drifting does tend to favour the more blunderbuss approach of breaking the rear tyres away but honestly, the Japs were doing it day one. Only need to watch Best Motoring or Drift Bible to see that was the case.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was drifting my mom's Oldsmobile on gravel shoulders and dirt roads in 1986, never used a handbrake and the motor was a lovely 260 V8 :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not enough tyre blazing.
That's the thing for me. Seems like anything "drift" is all about spectacle, how sideways you can get, rather than trying get a car coming through and out a corner, perfectly tangential to the path that follows, with almost zero steering lock. That is the kind of car control that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I see someone do it. What is generally presented as "drifting" has little appeal to me, even though I know it requires a good amount of skill.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Its a combination of how sideways you can get/ how long you can hold it, while maintaining a certain line through the corner with someone trying to hang his nose 3" from your door as he chases you. And then turning right around and doing it with the other guy leading. Its trying to perfectly control something that is normally uncontrolled. Its a ballet in the middle of a car crash.

Mothafukken skid racing breh.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah and really FWD aint proper drifting anyways, its all point and shoot at that level of properly competitive car. RWD on the other hand, is where you ride the drat tornado and its glorious as opposed to just pointing your head and zooming.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

That's the thing for me. Seems like anything "drift" is all about spectacle, how sideways you can get, rather than trying get a car coming through and out a corner, perfectly tangential to the path that follows, with almost zero steering lock. That is the kind of car control that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I see someone do it. What is generally presented as "drifting" has little appeal to me, even though I know it requires a good amount of skill.

But JDM style drifting has always been about the spectacle tho as well as car control? I mean, the reason why old fuddy duddy purists (Ironic that I'm actually older than most of said fuddy duddys) poo poo on drifting is the judging aspect to it that is about perception of the drift.

REALLY old time drifting where all four are sliding (like old OLD F1 cars that predate my birth) and it's all steered by throttle control only just isnt genuinely possible on radials (you really do need crossplys to generate the slip angles).... or without an AWD turbo terror and a giant nutsack.

I will say that yes, genuine all four drifting like old F1 or Goodward Revival racing with Group N sedans is a real mind gently caress to watch. And of course nothing beats a fire breathing Audi or Subaru with all four being melted at some ridiculous speed no RWD or FWD can match. Possum Bourne going mental up a tarmac hill with all the tyres being destroyed at stupid speed for some odd reason sticks with me over anything else.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, same here. I certainly appreciate the skill of the drivers, but it generally has about the same appeal to me as rhythmic gymnastics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

davebo posted:

I work with a high school robotics team in my spare time, and one year the rules of the game (national competition) specified a linoleum playing surface, and everyone had to use the same hard plastic wheels, simulating the reduced traction that you'd get in a low-g situation (the moon).

You were still allowed to use the same electric motors as always. Our robot drew 11 kilowatts at full power and weighed 120 pounds.

That year was...entertaining.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sagebrush posted:

I work with a high school robotics team in my spare time, and one year the rules of the game (national competition) specified a linoleum playing surface, and everyone had to use the same hard plastic wheels, simulating the reduced traction that you'd get in a low-g situation (the moon).

You were still allowed to use the same electric motors as always. Our robot drew 11 kilowatts at full power and weighed 120 pounds.

That year was...entertaining.

do... you have film of driftu bot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in the future driverless drift firmware will be the latest car scandal that your kids are doing