Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do you want to be remembered along with the Wright Brothers, Elon Musk and Zephron Cochrain? :shepface:

Don't forget KRUK'a'GRUNKel FRUNK'T SCHRUL'RUM the RUNK'sHLA of BUNKULON 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NotWearingPants posted:

I saw one episode of the Orville and two episodes of the new Star Trek and my hot take is that the new Star Trek was better.

If you like TNG era star trek give Orville another shot. It takes a couple episodes to find its groove, but then it is good. They could be in the same universe, almost. The Enterprise as the flagship of the fleet with all the most capable officers, and the Orville as just another a midsize whatever ship with average people working on it. A ship full of Reginald Barclays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you like TNG era star trek give Orville another shot. It takes a couple episodes to find its groove, but then it is good. They could be in the same universe, almost. The Enterprise as the flagship of the fleet with all the most capable officers, and the Orville as just another a midsize whatever ship with average people working on it. A ship full of Reginald Barclays.

Yeah, I mean not everyone gets to grow up to work on the Enterprise, or even the Hood, someone's gotta do boring resupply things.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

SPACE HOMOS posted:

On the other hand Orville's episode that was directed by Frakes was excellent.

oh my god it makes so much sense that Frakes directed that one. I actually think it was the weakest since the pilot but still good. Frakes loves love interest stuff.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

the Orville as just another a midsize whatever ship with average people working on it. A ship full of Reginald Barclays.

If you can't take it here, then you might think about a transport ship. There's a lot less pressure there.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are no IP licenses under FALGSC the Federation.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Can't stop thinking about the way the ship goes all rotisserie when it uses the portobello drive.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Romulan/Klingon talk makes me sort of wonder something that maybe has been directly explained on the show:

Was the Khitomer attack really just a means for the Duras family eliminate rival powers within the Empire without anyone being able to link them to it?

Maybe the assumption that the House Mogh would be effectively crippled/destroyed through a combination of the attack costing them not only lives, but their reputation. With idea that if the house was effectively destroyed, weakened or discredited enough that the other Klingon houses (or specifically House Duras) would simply downplay any notion of retribution for the attack over time on the basis it was focused solely on a no-longer-relevant House and those that might have been seen as under their protection at the time.

(In addition, of course, to the eventual framing of the House of Mogh on the attack, eventually.)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I know what will make these Klingons stand out. Stuff their mouths with cotton balls.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you think STD klingons are naturally hairless, or is it a fashion trend?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you think anyone at paramount or whatever considered what the acronym would be before they named STD?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

COMRADES posted:

There are no IP licenses under FALGSC the Federation.

If I am ever put in charge of an organization, governmental or not, I know the acronym for it will be FALSFLAG

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm sad Ensign Daft Punk has been replaced with Ensign Blandroid.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you think STD klingons are naturally hairless, or is it a fashion trend?

Its space syphilis

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

What if Kahless shopped at Payless??

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
lol

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

What if Kahless shopped at Payless??

For anyone familiar with the AC/DC song "mistress for Christmas" I've had it stuck in my head with the words "I want a kahless from Payless" for like...weeks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

The General posted:

I'm sad Ensign Daft Punk has been replaced with Ensign Blandroid.

Bring back daft punk ensign and hire on MC Chris to do the Hesh Sealab voice for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The General posted:

I know what will make these Klingons stand out. Stuff their mouths with cotton balls.

"I'm going to make the Federation an offer they can't refuse."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Staffing shortages causing them to dip into undesirable but qualified officers even makes sense if the show's set post-DS9/Voyager, after the losses from the Dominion War.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

future ghost posted:

Bring back daft punk ensign and hire on MC Chris to do the Hesh Sealab voice for it.

But then he'd only be five feet tall! :ohdear:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Man season 7 for DS9 sure has a weird vibe to it. Maybe it's the whole paw wraith thing, I can't put my finger on it.

Luckily any scene with Waiun in it saves it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You sure about that? I thought the episodes were played to a live audience, so the laughter was authentic even though it wasn't from the actual filming. I could be totally wrong on that though.

They did this for the 7th series but most of the rest was performed live

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The last episode was really bad. With great characters like rear end in a top hat security officer "I'm an rear end in a top hat! I say bad things to the main character!!" while the main character does something stupid to move the plot forward. Then at the end the camera goes to every no name character celebrating.

On the other hand Orville's episode that was directed by Frakes was excellent.

It was just awful pretty much the whole way through. So many stupid things in one episode made me loving speechless. Oh boy better save the mine that provides literally half of our fuel source (which it really isnt you hack fraud writers) because we forgot to protect it in any way shape or form! Oh lets let death bug out and shoot it with phasers we know dont work! Oh poo poo im dead, great work! Lets manipulate only sympathetic other character on the ship to tell if deathbug is actually a bad thing or actually a computer! Great idea! FFFFFFFFUUUCK.

There are literally zero relatable or likeable characters in the entire show and if the ship blew up in the next episode I would struggle to care.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I like the ditzy redhead Burnham is quartered with

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Boy you guys sure sound like the TVIV thread

Better keep away from kids

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I like the ditzy redhead Burnham is quartered with

:same:

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

the ship is piloted by a tard

+elon musk namedrop :rolleyes:

orville better

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Well, Zephram Cockring also didn't do anything of note.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Oh, two takes Frakes was at the helm? I think Roxanne Dawson does a lot of directing too maybe she'll get an ep.

Is that really a nickname he has? Or just a fan joke

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Imagine, one month ago, someone asking you which sci-fi series would go on to feature a ship whose navigation was controlled by an alien connected to the computer through nipple clamps. Would you answer with Seth MacFarlane's The Orville or Star Trek: Discovery?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

Imagine, one month ago, someone asking you which sci-fi series would go on to feature a ship whose navigation was controlled by an alien connected to the computer through nipple clamps. Would you answer with Seth MacFarlane's The Orville or Star Trek: Discovery?

like a lovely version of the Navigators from Dune lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fury Road in space was disappointing

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is that really a nickname he has? Or just a fan joke

They called him that on First Contact bc he'd only do one or two takes then move on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did anyone else get a (new) DOOM vibe from the lab sets on Discovery this episode? Like I dunno the lighting and metal-gray walls gave me a UAC vibe off the whole thing. Maybe it's just me being a dipshit, I dunno.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They called him that on First Contact bc he'd only do one or two takes then move on.

I love his commentary on that film.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Wasn't he brought in late on after a prior director and the producers were in a rush to finish the project?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Watchin' episode 4 and its still Klingon throat-talk and Times New Roman subtitles.

Its going to be this way for the rest of the series isnt it? gently caress. Don't these assholes know everyone watches this crap with at least a smartphone in hand? I'm not going to be paying attention to this bullshit for season after season.

What happens when other aliens show up? 3/4rs of the show becomes Reading Rainbow? Someone please teach the klingons their ABCs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I love Dr. Roy Jones Jr. Impersonator's cattyness. Kill the rest of the crew and give him and Scientist Man shared command of a starship.

Because Captain Lorca is as exciting as a stale rye bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tempo 119 posted:

They did this for the 7th series but most of the rest was performed live

Wait, that would mean it was filmed on a soundstage with real sets? I assumed that was just how the basement corridors of the BBC looked in real life.