Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

welcome to hell world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm getting a Vive, Rift, and HoloLens for a collaboration space between our Digital Media and Computer Science programs. Is there anything else I should consider getting or will those 3 cover my bases?

Skip the hololens.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Skip the hololens.

Eh, a university's digital media hackspace is pretty much the one place where I can see an argument for its existence, since there's still nothing else like it. Just as long as they understand that they're paying thousands of dollars for zeroth-gen tech.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NRVNQSR posted:

Eh, a university's digital media hackspace is pretty much the one place where I can see an argument for its existence, since there's still nothing else like it. Just as long as they understand that they're paying thousands of dollars for zeroth-gen tech.

And there will be no first-gen, not from Microsoft. Its gonna be another Zune or Microsoft Surface (the original) and just disappear into obscurity. Somebody else will deliver a stellar AR experience in a few years; probably Apple and Google and Samsung.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If its the CS department though presumably they're gonna make poo poo with it, so who cares.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

I get the arguments against the Hololens and appreciate the advice and explanations, but this is pretty much it. They asked for it specifically and it's a $3000 line item on a $60-80k project so I'm not torn up about the cost (the point where the director funding it went from "yes" to "maybe next year" was an additional 20-30k for a motion capture room, and that was as much about a dedicated room on our small campus as the cost.) From a development standpoint, it looks like Hololens development will translate directly to development for other Windows Holographic devices, so 3k now to get students learning the platform while the hardware is is 0th generation seems like a reasonable expense.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yore VR is 50% off for a week if that may be your thing. I'm going to give it a try

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

I knew those two were just phone holders, I'm not sure what most students have. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to see if they want to wait for Windows Holographic. I know Vive and Rift are pretty much overlapping, but there are people who demand one and won't use the other on both sides.

definitely pick up the vive mods like the improved headphone strap thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

If its the CS department though presumably they're gonna make poo poo with it, so who cares.

Maybe, but how much adoption and support you have can really matter for CS students.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe, but how much adoption and support you have can really matter for CS students.

The HoloLens runs Windows and the API is shared with their mixed reality HMDs coming out for PC. I'm not sure why you're so dead set against the Hololens as it's excellent for an academic environment even taking into account it's limitations. It's the best choice if you're serious about AR software research.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SwissCM posted:

The HoloLens runs Windows and the API is shared with their mixed reality HMDs coming out for PC. I'm not sure why you're so dead set against the Hololens as it's excellent for an academic environment even taking into account it's limitations. It's the best choice if you're serious about AR software research.

He's just an idiot who can't bear to be even a little bit wrong.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GutBomb posted:

He's just an idiot who can't bear to be even a little bit wrong.

He also don't seem to realize what the application is and putting his own self case use on it as facts.

If anything, Having it be part of a college class/research project, could honestly get some creative software FOR something like hololense, and maybe push the tech forward.

Lets be real. Hololense has the serious "Potential" to do some cool poo poo. Limited currently but its a start.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Good luck pitching any consumer-oriented killer app with a $3k unit cost per headset.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
A wide FOV, cheaper Hololens would be very good. I'm quite sad that it's a dead end because it's scary how well the AR functionality works.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good luck pitching any consumer-oriented killer app with a $3k unit cost per headset.

You either do not understand what "Push the tech forward" Means, Or are being purposefully ignorant. Either way, Thats not what that means.

The Gay Bean posted:

A wide FOV, cheaper Hololens would be very good. I'm quite sad that it's a dead end because it's scary how well the AR functionality works.

Yeah AR is super neat. I'm personally excited to see where things go. I'm hooked on headsets and virtual tech at this point. AR that works like microsofts big demos back in the day, but actually, works like that in all kinds of games will be rad.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Eventually AR headsets will be everywhere and the people with the most experience working with it will be kings of that market. Getting the HoloLens into education and business is a necessary first step towards being ready for mass consumer adoption of the technology.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress.

Nothing in my living room has moved. Chaperone box hasn't been redrawn in a while. Carefully staying within it... I just managed to punch my nice 55" TV and leave a good 8" scratch on the screen

Edit: And... the far right third of the screen is broken. Sigh.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How close is your VR area to the TV? If you think you're going to get punchy, you should draw your chaperone an arms length from everything just in case.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

How close is your VR area to the TV? If you think you're going to get punchy, you should draw your chaperone an arms length from everything just in case.

It was, and has been. Also to answer the question, about an arm's length of the TV.

TV's still within returnable period, I could probably wing a return with a sob story...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PCOS Bill posted:

It was, and has been. Also to answer the question, about an arm's length of the TV.

TV's still within returnable period, I could probably wing a return with a sob story...

Is it from a place that has one of those "Even if you break it warranties"? If so, you're more than likely still in the buy window on that. Its a big enough item they wont require you to take it in. Just buy it, wait a day or two, "LOL VR ACCIDENT" replace it. Assuming you don't want to try to sweet talk into a replacement for physical damage.

I've decided I want a bigger VR room(Similar reasons. I keep hitting a wood door). Our Landlord is awesome, and has expressed interest in more houses. Think its time to upgrade the office.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EbolaIvory posted:

Is it from a place that has one of those "Even if you break it warranties"? If so, you're more than likely still in the buy window on that. Its a big enough item they wont require you to take it in. Just buy it, wait a day or two, "LOL VR ACCIDENT" replace it. Assuming you don't want to try to sweet talk into a replacement for physical damage.

I've decided I want a bigger VR room(Similar reasons. I keep hitting a wood door). Our Landlord is awesome, and has expressed interest in more houses. Think its time to upgrade the office.

It's from Walmart (their $400 55" TCL deal, it's actually a really great Roku powered TV here) so... I mean... yeah, they'll take anything back probably

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As someone who's occasionally mucking about with VR stuff in non games industry, it seems to be the hololens that have people the most excited. Most of them don't know or understand the limitations, but the buzz seems to be there nonetheless.

It's certainly not my preferred solution - it sucks for games and the limitations beyond floating models in a 3D space are so many. But it is a good proof of concept for what will (eventually) be a game changer. It might not be Microsoft branded augmented glasses in a strap goggles to your face kind of way, but at some point this stuff will probably be second nature to things like car user interfaces, window displays and video conferencing where there's a need for interacting in 3d space.

So from that point of view I think it's good to get students playing with this tech if there's the opportunity to do so. They'll certainly have more free reign to test and play with novel ideas given the price is so unaffordable for any hobbyists.

But if this is is going anywhere, the future of this stuff is likely to come from smartphone AR rather than the goggles, even if most of the stuff out there right now is terribly gimmicky.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Are the AR objects created by the Hololens more 'solid' and accurately located than those created by ARKit apps? Cos I've tried a couple on my iPad and they're all kinda poo poo to be honest, stuff just doesn't 'stick' to the real world properly.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Chadzok posted:

Are the AR objects created by the Hololens more 'solid' and accurately located than those created by ARKit apps? Cos I've tried a couple on my iPad and they're all kinda poo poo to be honest, stuff just doesn't 'stick' to the real world properly.

Whilst it's certainly not perfect, it does a much, much better job than anything else I've tried. This is because it uses the 3D scanner spatial mapping tech to capture the room prior to its use and is accutely aware of its own / other objects position in 3D space.

This means that you can walk around and virtual objects will occlude behind real life ones, and will react to real surfaces such as walls, floors, furniture etc.

Edit: I understand AR kit and the like does this also, but I haven't actually tried it on any of these new devices with depth scanning cameras, so I can't really say.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 10, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The stability of AR objects is basically entirely dependent on how good the device's tracking hardware is. Single-camera phones and tablets are awful, stereo camera phones and tablets are much better.

Reliably locating an AR object in the world is pretty much exactly the same problem as inside-out tracking, so any headset that can do one can do the other.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

gently caress.

Nothing in my living room has moved. Chaperone box hasn't been redrawn in a while. Carefully staying within it... I just managed to punch my nice 55" TV and leave a good 8" scratch on the screen

Edit: And... the far right third of the screen is broken. Sigh.

Welcome to the club. I completely destroyed my 1080p 52" Sharp LCD TV from 2006 back in June that served as my PC monitor while playing Deus Vult. I wasn't exactly super protective of it since it's a 10 year old clunker that I really wanted to replace but my wife wanted to keep it until it died (the back light was already uneven and it had some mild burn in issues). It's been replaced with a new 4k 70" Sharp LCD TV that I am keen about not breaking.

My solution is that I have the couch in front of my TV while playing anything that is a bit punchy (Gorn, etc). It makes the room space smaller, but it's a hell of a lot safer and I can still enjoy larger room scale for safer games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cue you lunging forward in Echo Arena, through the shiny new TV.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The fact that SteamVR puts your 'front' opposite your monitor has saved them multiple times. My closet door is all marred up though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

The fact that SteamVR puts your 'front' opposite your monitor has saved them multiple times. My closet door is all marred up though.

Mine don't. Mines facing my monitors like oculus home is. Which is where my front sensors are. How annoying would that be if it put my back to the side with 2 sensors.

I've also not changed anything. I just ran the setups and fixed the walls with the editors. So I think it figured it out on it's own.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EbolaIvory posted:

Mine don't. Mines facing my monitors like oculus home is. Which is where my front sensors are. How annoying would that be if it put my back to the side with 2 sensors.

I've also not changed anything. I just ran the setups and fixed the walls with the editors. So I think it figured it out on it's own.

Might be a Vive/Oculus thing since the Vive doesn't care where your front is with how it does tracking.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Feeling real good about my monitor protectors right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
OC4 is tomorrow hooray

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Did you get the door replacement plan? It's only 20 dollars.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

BMan posted:

Feeling real good about my monitor protectors right now.

Yeah unfortunately my 70 inch is too big for the tv protectors I looked at.

Also what do you guys think of all of the criticism Zuckerberg is getting over the Puerto Rico VR presentation where he seemed more interested in promoting Oculus and Facebook than about the plight of Puerto Ricans. His presentation did not seem well received on twitter, and the amount he is donating is not really significant.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KakerMix posted:

Also nice because that means the cable is coming from behind you by default, unless you have a weird room layout.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

KakerMix posted:

Might be a Vive/Oculus thing since the Vive doesn't care where your front is with how it does tracking.

It's a thing you do during setup, it like has you face the HMD toward the front and press a button. My current setup is offset from the computer entirely so Oculus home faces my dresser and SteamVR faces to the right of that toward my bed. This pretty much only works cause I have 3 sensors. I need to figure out something better still but it's gonna involve moving my bed and maybe some other poo poo and that's a lot of effort to gain maybe 6" to a foot in one direction.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

iceaim posted:

Yeah unfortunately my 70 inch is too big for the tv protectors I looked at.

Also what do you guys think of all of the criticism Zuckerberg is getting over the Peurto Rico VR presentation where he seemed more interested in promoting Oculus and Facebook than about the plight of Puerto Ricans. His presentation did not seem well received on twitter, and the amount he is donating is not really significant.

It was a bit doofy and tone deaf, but there's no way for VR not to be doofy at this point. At some point it'll be more "normal" but we're not there yet

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Brightman posted:

It's a thing you do during setup, it like has you face the HMD toward the front and press a button. My current setup is offset from the computer entirely so Oculus home faces my dresser and SteamVR faces to the right of that toward my bed. This pretty much only works cause I have 3 sensors. I need to figure out something better still but it's gonna involve moving my bed and maybe some other poo poo and that's a lot of effort to gain maybe 6" to a foot in one direction.

I was doing 360 with 2. Worked alright.

I cannot imagine trying to shoe horn VR into a small room. Ya'll guys doing the standing nearly still stuff are the real MVPs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you guys talking about like a glass screen protector for a TV? It was bad enough applying one to my switch, how do you get one on a TV and have it not be poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Not an actual "screen protector" product, just a foam panel I put in front the screen when playing VR.