Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

This is correct and good but no one has ever managed it in a reasonable way yet on windows. Ninite / Chocolatey and others just blindly install with all of the default options set, resulting in a system that has its explorer context menus carpet bombed with poo poo, a bunch of dumb startup crap enabled, and god knows what else. Windows software has too long a history of requiring customization during install to do any of it seamlessly

someone go buy paint.net from the app store and let us know if it still blows up the context menus for image files with "edit with paint.net" etc

e: oh god this is the worst snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

turns out wangos-store has similar stuff but I guess we should hate new thing or something in favor yolo-ing an unauditable mess of MSI with admin rights

yeah it's good but the windows store is a mess.

the real problem is windows not having sandboxing built in by default, but built ontop of windows 10,

which is built on top of windows ... NT?

which has to be compatible with everything back to grandas computer

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

turns out wangos-store has similar stuff but I guess we should hate new thing or something in favor yolo-ing an unauditable mess of MSI with admin rights

it would help if the store wasn't so completely filled with garbage that it's brand toxic. the only reason I heard of to use it is to get your games rated for free

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The IntegrityLevel component of UAC allows for something resembling sandboxing and keeps internal app poo poo out of the user profile data in most situations but its Completely Optional (because lol Microsoft) and everyone defaults to using Medium or High integrity instead of Low to keep their stuff restricted in to AppData\Low where it belong. MS does all this good+cool poo poo and they completely fails on the Implimentation and followthrough and Windows devs are bottom of the barrel trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

also if there is a custom install option it is usually necessary, otherwise hope you like bundled malware (gently caress you oracle). and redundant libraries. linux has this poo poo better figured out ffs

Linux installs from package repos will include random poo poo you don't need and/or will actively break your poo poo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

Linux installs from package repos will include random poo poo you don't need and/or will actively break your poo poo.
so, windows is a linux?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no when I install the same apps on windows they don't have the crap added by the Linux repo maintainers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't think anyone has to be convinced that Linux is Bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

you can see what's getting pulled in beforehand and if you need some specific version of a package that conflicts you can use virtual envs or local install to not gently caress with things globally. its funny that random idiots are much more trustworthy than large corporations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you have to examine their work ahead of time then they aren't trustworthy. also it means you cant use your built in package manager

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Windows has many problems but SxS is not one of them

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

thread title is deceitful mods, this thread is haunted by the spooky ghost of win mobile 10

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I love my dead gay phone os

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

I love my dead gay phone os

It's better than Android.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:lol: that metro is now only used on platforms it doesn't belong on

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

It's better than Android.

real high bar you're setting there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Condiv posted:

hahahahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Condiv posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

remember this guy lol haha

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
no

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

has anybody said :rip: windows phone yet?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

has anybody said :rip: windows phone yet?

Windows phone never truly dies. An andromeda strain lives on in Redmond.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Amethyst posted:

nice hair, douchebag

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/09/beware-update-kb4046355-removes-windows-media-player/

quote:

The Windows 10 update KB4046355 for the Fall Creators Update -- listed as FeatureOnDemandMediaPlayer - Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4046355) removes Windows Media Player from the operating system.

The update has been released for the Insider version of Windows 10 version 1709

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
another good change from making paint.net store-compatible: you don't have to copy plugins to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET anymore, you can copy them into a directory under your home directory now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

another good change from making paint.net store-compatible: you don't have to copy plugins to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET anymore, you can copy them into a directory under your home directory now.
hey did you check out the blog post because,

quote:

But what about plugins?!

Oh! Don’t worry. Plugins are supported for the Store release. You just have to install them in a different location. Go to your Documents folder, create a folder called “paint.net App Files” (no quotes though), and then create a folder for each plugin type: Effects, FileTypes, and Shapes. And then put your plugins into each folder just like you’re used to with the Classic release. This does mean that plugins are installed per-user, mind you.

This method of installation is also supported by the Classic release, by the way.
i wonder if this is in anticipation of defaulting to an app store app, which is especially weird considering they're getting rid of groove

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 10, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
that's exactly what i said

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Seems like someone hosed up visual studio online so everything is taking a million years.

Don't worry guys, they've identified the cause: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsoservice/?p=15176

quote:

The issue has been isolated to slow calls to our central Shared Platform Service due to high processor time on all web tiers.

Slow because it's going slow, the most technical of technical explanations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Amethyst posted:

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/917071399541391360

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/917071857370595328

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff402529(v=vs.105).aspx

quote:

If you've previously developed .NET or XAML apps, you can transfer these skills to develop Windows Phone apps that use XAML for the UI and C# or Visual Basic for the code.

Is this page helpful?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

have you tried turning it off and then never turning it on again

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Amethyst posted:

this was the one running the key parties right?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I feel a little sad about the death of WinPho. Not as sad as Palm, but a little.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I feel a little sad about the death of WinPho. Not as sad as Palm, but a little.

it's sad because if handled better it could have been a good phone ecosystem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

easy to feel sad about it as a monstrous waste of time and resources at least, it wasn't entirely half-hearted, they went back and forth between rather monumental efforts and then periods of bungling

also probably too late for a third platform around now. had one listened to tech journalists it has been forever, but i think it has been the last few years where it has gotten properly tricky. e.g. this morning my primary bank switched their online banking to *require* using their app for authenticating and approving transfers, it exists for ios, android, and, still, windows phone. switching into an ecosystem outside of those three would mean having to switch banks now. i have a few more examples which are similarly restrictive

more than a little sad that the days of new phone platforms are over, the duopoly being fully established

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

yes, i too am sad when my favorite corporation introduces a me-too product that fails

pram
Jun 10, 2001
we tried real hard. late nights. ordering in. believe me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

yes, i too am sad when my favorite corporation introduces a me-too product that fails

now google can race to the bottom even faster because they're pretty much in non-compete mode with apple by carving out completely different user segments. not that Microsoft was doing much there in the first place, but they were the only other company with the resources to actually attempt it in the first place

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

now google can race to the bottom even faster because they're pretty much in non-compete mode with apple by carving out completely different user segments. not that Microsoft was doing much there in the first place, but they were the only other company with the resources to actually attempt it in the first place

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cool thank u for ironic detachment I will really think on these salient points you have definitely made