Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My brother bought it so I tried it out. I guess its good if you're into those kind of games but I'd rather just play Don't Starve. Rather than being chill I want the constant looming threat of losing absolutely everything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

wait so is stardew worth getting?

Absolutely

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DalaranJ posted:

EO5 comes out for 3DS in a week. So there's gonna be a wait in store for this one.

Oh for sure and I'll almost certainly pick that up, but there will undoubtedly be something in that series coming in the next couple of years.

KingSlime posted:

Between that and their vague comment about how the next EO would not feature a map on the second screen, it's happening. I am ready. We'll probably be waiting some time though.

My friends and I were chatting about this and apparently there's a stand to set your Switch vertically like a tablet. You could then use a stylus on the screen for mapping and have the controllers be separate. Obviously this is table mode only. So it's possible, but if Atlus has already said they're dropping the mapping then that's that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I really don't think the Switch's touch screen really makes for good map drawing. Without a dedicated capactitive stylus, drawing on the screen would be really awkward. I wouldn't be surprised if the map got flat out scrapped if they decided to make an EO for the Switch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I could see it being horizontal but divided into two halves, one with an auto-map and one where you're actually looking. That would work in handheld or in TV mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really don't think the Switch's touch screen really makes for good map drawing. Without a dedicated capactitive stylus, drawing on the screen would be really awkward. I wouldn't be surprised if the map got flat out scrapped if they decided to make an EO for the Switch.

Nintendo should bundle a stylus with Mario Maker Switch just like with the book they bundled with the original.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I've tried some styluses, but there's just none that I feel comfortable with etching into my Switch's plastic-rear end screen

The soft tipped ones have no accuracy and there's no traction on this screen

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

HyperPuma posted:

wait for the patch

Don't do this. There is nothing game breaking wrong with it. Just a few minor annoyances. I've played the poo poo out of it for like 4 days straight.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I don't see why Nintendo can't just make a Mario maker that uses the dpad or am I just retarded :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spellman posted:

I've tried some styluses, but there's just none that I feel comfortable with etching into my Switch's plastic-rear end screen

The soft tipped ones have no accuracy and there's no traction on this screen

Get a screen protector dummy

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I thought picross would suck without a stylus but picross s is perfectly fine on the dpad and it's honestly a lot better than trying to fat finger it on picross games for iPad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I thought picross would suck without a stylus but picross s is perfectly fine on the dpad and it's honestly a lot better than trying to fat finger it on picross games for iPad

Picross makes me not worried about the inevitable Mario Maker on Switch at all. I have zero doubt that Nintendo can design a perfectly good map-making interface that uses the D-pad

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Even with a touchscreen it took forever to actually make a nice level in Mario Maker. While I'm sure intuitive d-pad controls could be implemented, it would probably end up taking twice as long to actually make the levels (if not longer), which would probably quickly drain the fun out of the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mancalamania posted:

Even with a touchscreen it took forever to actually make a nice level in Mario Maker. While I'm sure intuitive d-pad controls could be implemented, it would probably end up taking twice as long to actually make the levels (if not longer), which would probably quickly drain the fun out of the game.

Was your speed at drawing blocks really the bottleneck? I spent most of my time replaying areas and making small tweaks. As long as there's an option to paint multiple blocks at a time for filling out large areas, Dpad should be just fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They could always do both. gently caress it, add pointer controls too.:mario:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ludwig van Halen posted:

*sighs* fine I'll buy another fukin Picross game

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

add usb mouse support

and then also make a new mario paint

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

enojy posted:

*sighs* fine I'll buy another fukin Picross game

Can't go wrong with 8 bucks bro

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Modus Pwnens posted:

KnowYourMeme.com simulator Retro City Rampage had its physical editions come up for ordering today on VBlank's site. Regular editions ($30 + shipping) sold out within hours, and Nicalis style special editions ($51 shipped) are down to less than 150 of 3000 copies remaining.

This is both a holy poo poo I can't believe that many people are buying it post and a, if you wanted to buy it you'd better hurry post.

Why would anyone pay so much for such a bad game, I felt ripped off getting it in a $5 humble bundle

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo Japan has revealed that Mario Odyssey's file size starts at 5.7GB. For those of you thinking about digital.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I always reach behind my Switch for a stylus. There's never one there. There will never be one there...

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
None of you assholes told me that a season in stardew was only a month. I planted 9 cauliflower on the 25th of spring to go with the 9 cauliflower that were 1 loving day from being ripe before summer came and came all over my face.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo Japan has revealed that Mario Odyssey's file size starts at 5.7GB. For those of you thinking about digital.

The Mercedes-Benz assets/DLC takes up 19GB because it's Mercedes-Benz, but you can throw Cappy into a Mercedes-Benz and turn into a Mercedes-Benz

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

None of you assholes told me that a season in stardew was only a month. I planted 9 cauliflower on the 25th of spring to go with the 9 cauliflower that were 1 loving day from being ripe before summer came and came all over my face.

To be fair what did you think would happen at the end of Spring?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I just spent 50$ and got sonic mania, golf story and stardew on my switch. :toot:

Holy poo poo, sonic mania is so good!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

To be fair what did you think would happen at the end of Spring?

I think he means the game doesn't tell you a season is only one month long. As far as I can tell it also doesn't let you skip ahead on the calendar to check.

I got suspicious and looked the calendar up online but it's not hard to see a person making the mistake.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EpicNemesis posted:

Same happened to me. I woke up on the first day of summer and was pissed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, that's a thing carried over from Harvest Moon that's not really explained.

Another missable tip: after upgrading a tool, hold down the Use button to charge it up and get the better effects (watering more squares or more powerful axe/hammer swings).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
While Stardew is a heck of a lot of fun, it has me jonesing for Don't Starve. I mean it's apparently on iOS and Android. Make it happen Klei :pray:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FiestaDePantalones posted:

And speaking of SMT, they should give us TMS as filler for the 2019 TMS sequel!
Fixed.

I'm looking forward to FE Warriors, but since I'm currently working on finishing FE: Echos, I also can't wait for the main Fire Emblem Switch that was announced. Or at least some more info on it.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

I just spent 50$ and got sonic mania, golf story and stardew on my switch. :toot:

Holy poo poo, sonic mania is so good!

I downloaded sonic mania but I really dislike it. The jumping feels extremely floaty which was fine for the green hill zones since you didn't need precise jumping but it's really annoying me in chemical plant zone. I'll play it some more to see if it clicks. It doesn't help that I don't have any nostalgia for sonic games in general.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sonic Mania was good but my big takeaway was that I just want Mean Bean Machine on VC. I have Puyopuyo Tetris but it's just not the saaaaame.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mean bean machine was bad

So was kirby's avalanche

I say this as someone who has poured hundreds of hours into puyo puyo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Policenaut posted:

5.7 GB :psyduck: Pretty sure there are actual wizards working at Nintendo.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Another missable tip: after upgrading a tool, hold down the Use button to charge it up and get the better effects (watering more squares or more powerful axe/hammer swings).

The real victory condition for Stardew is the friends you make along the way (who teach you how the game works since there are no tutorials).

Now I want to make the upgraded water bucket as soon as I get home, but I guess I need to wait and do it on a day where the next day is rain so I don't miss a water day.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Huxley posted:

The real victory condition for Stardew is the friends you make along the way (who teach you how the game works since there are no tutorials).

Now I want to make the upgraded water bucket as soon as I get home, but I guess I need to wait and do it on a day where the next day is rain so I don't miss a water day.

Yeah, or just do it on the day before you harvest. Assuming you don't mind waiting an extra day to plant new crops.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

5.7 GB :psyduck: Pretty sure there are actual wizards working at Nintendo.

Is that small for a Mario game? Mario doesn't usually have a ton of detailed textures or other big art assets, the way the games are stylized.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tales of Woe posted:

Is that small for a Mario game? Mario doesn't usually have a ton of detailed textures or other big art assets, the way the games are stylized.

Don't they do things like make many assets lower res or what not that are close and then also wash out far off assets? Lots of cheating goes into it I imagine but it's not dumb

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

I mean, it's tiny for a AAA game. I realize that Nintendo games aren't using absurdly high-res textures or anything but still from what I've seen of odyssey fitting it in 5 gigs is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Not a Children posted:

Mean bean machine was bad

So was kirby's avalanche

I say this as someone who has poured hundreds of hours into puyo puyo

Which Puyo Puyo though?

• Locked thread