Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

BWM is on the vet expecting to get anything like 20k outta that person.

Even if the vet only get's 1/4 of it's still GWM.

BWM was not saving the cat for it to have more health problems down the line that he could charge them an outrageous price for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol what do you mean? it's on 2 credit cards and financed through a shady pet health loan business! The vet's loving cashed out, dude!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Saving up enough money in your checking account to buy a house definitely isn't optimal, but it's still so much better than most people that I have a hard time calling it bad with money in an absolute sense.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The GWM here is the vet convincing the patient to just go ahead and swipe her cards and that payment is due at time of service unlike every other professional service ever but clearly vets don't get into business to get taken for a ride by people who are bad with money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had a co-worker who spent an ungodly amount of money keeping his dog alive. He's DINK so his pets are his children, but holy poo poo.

What ate the most money were doggy transfusions. Like $800 a shot and I think his dog got 4 of them. It's a crazy side market. Almost like sperm banks where they have a stable of disease free regular donors for dogs, cats, and you guessed it - horses.

http://news.wisc.edu/four-legged-patients-and-their-blood-donors/

No idea if this lady got kitty blood donations, but that would've done a number on her final bill.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

How do I sign my dog up to donate blood for quick cash? She hasn't paid bills in years.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
How do you convince a dog to donate blood? A piece of cheese?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well - I suspect the vet didn't take their word that they're good for it. Sounds like they had to take out loans (Care Credit, w/e the gently caress that is?) plus SO providing some dough up front.

Pretty much anyone willing to spend 20k on a pet falls in two buckets:

• absurdly rich (read 8 figures or more) and just loves little Pookie so much that they just can't imagine life without Pookie
  • no money to speak of and no prospects of repaying that money - time to make BWM decisions

I would venture to guess the vast majority of people that could absorb a $20k vet bill and don't are those that understand the idea of "quality of life." If you're sinking $20k into Pookie, I'm deeply skeptical Pookie is likely to return to their former glorious state.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Saving up enough money in your checking account to buy a house definitely isn't optimal, but it's still so much better than most people that I have a hard time calling it bad with money in an absolute sense.

Note: I know there's probably a better thread for this. Please tell me to gently caress off if no one wants to hear out my question.

What *is* the optimal way to save up a large sum of cash? Taxable account with a horizon >1 year to get LTCG tax rate?

EDIT: Besides using a Money Market or high interest savings account. Forgot to clarify that.

rufius fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 10, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Like, saving for a down payment? High interest savings account. If you invest it in something and you plan to buy at a certain time, you're exposed to a crash.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Moneyball posted:

Like, saving for a down payment? High interest savings account. If you invest it in something and you plan to buy at a certain time, you're exposed to a crash.

Ok - I that's what I was thinking. Money Market account was what what I had in mind but same diff in this case.

The BWM post about that lady got me thinking and then I started second guessing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think the answer to that used to be CD accounts with a horizon that matched your timeline, but the rates on those went to poo poo for ages. I just checked and they're not any better than most MM accounts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Nipples posted:

Note: I know there's probably a better thread for this. Please tell me to gently caress off if no one wants to hear out my question.

What *is* the optimal way to save up a large sum of cash? Taxable account with a horizon >1 year to get LTCG tax rate?

EDIT: Besides using a Money Market or high interest savings account. Forgot to clarify that.

Bitcoin, naturally.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
poors + pets is always a great source of BWM

it seems to come up all the time when they post their budget. it's like the candles thing except real.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
My mother in law had a cat on a dialysis *at home* for a year and the total cost of that was like $4000. I have no idea how you'd spend $20,000.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I think for $20k you could just take your cat to korea and get it cloned, problem solved.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Zo posted:

poors + pets is always a great source of BWM

it seems to come up all the time when they post their budget. it's like the candles thing except real.

CareCredit offers a credit line for vet expenses at 0% APR, then after a few months APR jumps up to 27% and adds retroactive interest. Seems like potential for a ton of BWM stories out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/244vpv/i_just_learned_that_a_couple_i_know_has_a_3000/ posted:

The loan was with a carecredit credit card that many might be familiar with. It was for a vet bill when their dog broke her leg. The original loan was $3000 and they didn't pay it off in the 6 month zero interest time period. Now that the interest is in effect (it's in the ballpark of 30%), the balance is now $3300.

quote:

Back of the envelope math here: If the couple was charged retroactive back interest on the original balance at the end of the 6 months, then that's $450 added onto the balance. That means the principal was ~$2850, or only $150 less than the original balance, after 6 months. For this math to be right, there were only payments of $25/month on the original balance.
Your friends need to pay off this debt, and they only way they are going to do that is by paying actual money toward that debt.

0% means it's like free money! Right? :v:

At least it's not all bad if you're responsible about it:

quote:

I used it as a one-time thing to get my cat surgery. I paid it off very quickly (like within a month or two) so I can't really speak to using it long-term. My only complaint was they kept sending me email for the next year or so trying to convince me to get plastic surgery and pay for it with CareCredit! Kind of funny to be constantly pressured to upgrade my boobs and go into debt over it but other than that I had no problems. Good luck with your doggie.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Moneyball posted:

Another option would be a short term, investment grade bond fund like VFSTX, it's returning ~2% right now. That said I think just keeping it in a checking account for a few years is fine also. If you can afford to buy a house in cash then trying to squeeze out an extra few thousand while you save up is just gravy.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teeter posted:

CareCredit offers a credit line for vet expenses at 0% APR, then after a few months APR jumps up to 27% and adds retroactive interest. Seems like potential for a ton of BWM stories out there.

0% means it's like free money! Right? :v:

At least it's not all bad if you're responsible about it:

I had a CareCredit card once. Applied for it and never used it. After 12 months they closed it for inactivity and my FICO score dropped 20 points.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Virigoth posted:

How do I sign my dog up to donate blood for quick cash? She hasn't paid bills in years.

Own a breed over 50-55lbs that will tolerate the procedure and contact your local Veterinarian University. You'll generally receive free food, flea/tick and heartworm medication, yearly exam, etc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was at new york for an interview some time ago and i met up with a few buddies.
among them was a friend of mine who had done math with me in school and went off into the dark side (goldman). he had his own book and his own desk 2 years out of his masters

it's a leveraged trades and options desk

he couldn't tell me numbers, but he said a single-digit percent of his position was in the 1000x leveraged equivalent of vix

i learned that day that 1000x leveraged dealios exist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe that was his unconscious or conscious way of warning me that the world is gonna get hosed up
this was 4 weeks ago. wonder if he's up on that one

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Mut dogs are like $50-$100. You can get unlimited kittens basically free. I get that people love their pets. But I don't get spending the retarded amounts of money that people do on them. I guess to them it is like a member of their family, but I don't get it because I still see a fundamental divide between human family members and non-human ones.

I love my dog and my chickens, and I tolerate and even sometimes like my wife's cat. The chickens are livestock to me, and will end up in a soup pot if not diseased. If the dog or the cat racks up more than a few hundred dollars in vet bills, they will "go live at a farm" like the chick I got that turned up a rooster. I would just rather pay for my kids to go to college than for surgery on an animal that will likely have a poor quality of life for a short time afterward.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Horses

Wikihow has an article about How to Make Money to Board Your Horse as a Teen or Kid

Option 9: Make and sell something your good at such as bracelets or cards.

The Q&A posts (presumably by 11 year olds) sound like the reddit posts by 30 somethings, minus the bullshit justifications:

quote:

Q: I need to make 225 dollars every month for horse boarding how should I do it I'm only 11 y/o
A: Ask for chores and a weekly allowance. Offer to walk neighbors' dogs and rake their yards. Try to get a paper route.

Q: I'm not going to board my horse, but I need money for a barn at my place. Any tips on how to get the cash?
A: You can make money by selling old stuff or doing chores around your house. You could also ask your parents for the money and pay them back little by little.

Q: I don't have the money to buy a horse. What should I do?
A: Try getting a job and saving the money you earn.

Q: I am really young and I want to get a horse for free, but I have no space, what should I do?
A: Free horses usually have problems. Work hard and take lessons. If you show commitment, your parents might be willing to help pay for a horse.

I love the pictures from How to Convince Your Parents to Let You Buy a Horse

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Horse reposession advice

quote:

Last year I sold one of my horses on installment payments. We had no agreement in writing, but the buyer promised to pay me within six months and I let him take the horse. Six months passed, but he only paid a small part of what he owed. Every time I call him asking for the money he gives me tons of excuses. Can I just take back the horse and call it off? -T.G. (South Carolina)

Edit:
A delicious alternative to repossession

quote:

A six month investigation by the Equine Welfare Alliance and other animal investigation organizations has finally determined the predominant source of abandoned horses in the Southwestern US. The findings show that most or all of more than 5,000 horses a year are being abandoned after being rejected for slaughter at the Mexican border.

This article gets dark:

quote:

The horses were rejected under a new system of controls implemented in December, 2009. Reasons for rejection included health problems, advanced pregnancy and injuries.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've heard that owning a sailboat is another BWM thing, for reasons somewhat similar to horses. I know that the co workers I have that item sailboats are all trying to get rid of them because they've become a money sink.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Will they agree to take less of the horse if they pay right up front?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Movie idea: Tom Hardy is a cowboy who breaks into stables and repossess horses from bankrupt owners.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Now I'm sad. Seems that about half of all thoroughbreds are eventually eaten:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vickeryeckhoff/2011/11/29/racing-industry-silent-about-slaughtered-thoroughbreds/#18832a361bd6

quote:

More than 10,000 U.S. Thoroughbreds a year ship to slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico

jockeyclub.com reports that the "North American Registered Foal Crop" is about 22k:
http://www.jockeyclub.com/default.asp?section=FB&area=2

Unless there are a bunch of unregistered foals (I'm assuming everybody registers their thoroughbreds?) that makes some pretty bad odds (but pretty good tuna alternative)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

Movie idea: Tom Hardy is a cowboy who breaks into stables and repossess horses from bankrupt owners.

Get the Rock and Vin Diesel in on it. The Fast and Farriers.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

And here come the horse puns.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Another option would be a short term, investment grade bond fund like VFSTX, it's returning ~2% right now. That said I think just keeping it in a checking account for a few years is fine also. If you can afford to buy a house in cash then trying to squeeze out an extra few thousand while you save up is just gravy.

At least put it with Ally and get 1.2% interest, it keeps going up slowly.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I apologize for my machine-gun posting but these are too good. This isn't actually BWM but I am super happy somebody used the phrase "Typical pro-slaughter rhetoric" in this derail that's much better than any of ours:

From the comments at https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/investigation-finds-source-of-abandoned-horses-in-southwest/

Somebody called Joyce Moore posted:

How can you possibly equate horse slaughter with human organ harvesting or the use of cadavers for research? These activities require consent and are not brutally carried out on unsuspecting victims. Wow, just wow.

Typical pro-slaughter rhetoric. No real FACTS, just misinformed, misguided opinions. The FACT remains that the racing industry has done extremely little with regard to equine welfare and appropriate retirement options. Zero tolerance policies are nothing more than a wink and a nod.

CANTER received a $2,500 grant from Mountaineer. That should cover the initial expenses of one or two horses.

There is hardly a horse alive today, especially a racehorse, that hasn't received bute, a known carcinogen completely banned from food producing animals. But hey, as long you get your $50 from the kill buyer, who cares if a child ends up with aplastic anemia or some other fatal disease.

Those of us who actually care for and about horses will continue to fight the pro-slaughter fanatics such as yourself and Slaughterhouse Sue.

Some of the "kill buyers" (people who buy horses to slaughter) set up countdowns where people can "rescue" horses before they're turned into meat:
http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2015/september/Kill-Buyer-Starts-Controversial-Rescue-with-a-Ticking-Clock.php#/

quote:

Brian Moore, of Jonestown, PA, a fixture at the New Holland auction for decades, regularly buys horses from New Holland to ship to a slaughter house in Canada. Now Moore is shipping some of his horses closer to home in nearby Lebanon County and, through a family friend, making them available for rescue - but with a date stamp attached.

The clock ticking on a Facebook page warns that without purchase “they will be shipped” to slaughter in a week.

OK also have a facebook page about the "Another Chance 4 Horses" fraud from above:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AC4H.Fraud/

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 10, 2017

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I'm making this a new post because this is completely insane.

One of the bigger kill-broker partnered "save this animal or else" fake charity was a company called "Another Chance For Horses". The lady running it (Christy Sheidy) was fined and lost her non-profit status after spending "donations" on mortage payments, taxes, and a timeshare in florida:
http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2015/march/Operators-of-Another-Chance-4-Horses-Fined.php#/

In this massive, rambly blog post somebody posts an email from Sheidy where she admits to selling Mary Kay. Also she hired a non-profit accountant for $75 an hour so clearly is legit. Then gets into a spat about why she doesn't want to explain where $100k of donations went.
http://voiceforhorses-exposed.blogspot.com/

Since she lost non-profit status, the broker she partnered with (Moore) started his own operations / facebook page (they feature a "CALL NOW" button):
https://www.facebook.com/MooresEquinesForRescue/

I dare anybody else in BFC to connect Mary Kay, Timeshares, embezzlement, horses, and economical protein sources.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

spwrozek posted:

At least put it with Ally and get 1.2% interest, it keeps going up slowly.

Money Market funds are a little better on that if you shop around. I know some of them may have broken the buck during the worst of 2008-2009 but usually in a normal economic situation the sponsor of the fund will absorb losses rather than not returning principle.

If you can handle higher risk for higher returns (long term basis) it is better to put it in a Racing Equine Insurance Trap (REIT).

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

While reading about the starving slaughter-reject horses all I could think about was: "Why the long face?"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BigDave posted:

I had a CareCredit card once. Applied for it and never used it. After 12 months they closed it for inactivity and my FICO score dropped 20 points.

I had a dentist's office sign me up for CareCredit without my permission. The receptionist asked for my driver's license when I checked in, which in hindsight is weird but at the time I was distracted by an agonizing toothache. I had my appointment and when I was still in the chair this guy sits down with a laptop to talk me through my "financing options" for a bunch of dental surgery I hadn't even discussed with the dentist, let alone agreed to. I tell him I don't want to do any of that, and he starts acting incredibly awkward and turns his laptop to show me a CareCredit login all up and running with my own name and info. Turns out the receptionist called CareCredit and pretended to be me and used my soc/birthdate to apply for a card without even mentioning it to me. Same thing, closed after 12 months of inactivity, free hit to my FICO score. Thanks, sleazeballs.

Panfilo posted:

I've heard that owning a sailboat is another BWM thing, for reasons somewhat similar to horses. I know that the co workers I have that item sailboats are all trying to get rid of them because they've become a money sink.

Pray for Windjammer, thought of barnacles and died...

Tomfoolery posted:

I apologize for my machine-gun posting but these are too good. This isn't actually BWM but I am super happy somebody used the phrase "Typical pro-slaughter rhetoric" in this derail that's much better than any of ours:

From the comments at https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/investigation-finds-source-of-abandoned-horses-in-southwest/

Somebody called Joyce Moore posted:

How can you possibly equate horse slaughter with human organ harvesting or the use of cadavers for research? These activities require consent and are not brutally carried out on unsuspecting victims. Wow, just wow.

An actual unironic "wow just wow" in the wild. Incredible.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I had a dentist's office sign me up for CareCredit without my permission. The receptionist asked for my driver's license when I checked in, which in hindsight is weird but at the time I was distracted by an agonizing toothache. I had my appointment and when I was still in the chair this guy sits down with a laptop to talk me through my "financing options" for a bunch of dental surgery I hadn't even discussed with the dentist, let alone agreed to. I tell him I don't want to do any of that, and he starts acting incredibly awkward and turns his laptop to show me a CareCredit login all up and running with my own name and info. Turns out the receptionist called CareCredit and pretended to be me and used my soc/birthdate to apply for a card without even mentioning it to me. Same thing, closed after 12 months of inactivity, free hit to my FICO score. Thanks, sleazeballs.

Probably not too big a hit to your FICO, but yeah unethical as hell. I doubt its is legal even for a dentist's office although like retailers they are not held to the same standards as a bank, and there are likely few enforcement mechanisms. It would not surprise me if that practice were widespread.

The CFPB actually solicits customer complaints, so if you are still pissed about it, you could try telling your story to them. That agency really likes to hear about how companies are being sleazeballs and how industry practices are unfair. They have fewer teeth under Trump than they did under Obama, but their scope of regulation is pretty broad and they address a lot of stuff that is technically legal but not fair/ethical. I have not heard rumblings of them investigating doctor's office financing but if they get enough complaints about it they just might. For Instance, I think they were the first government agency to start looking at sub-prime auto lending.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

therobit posted:

Probably not too big a hit to your FICO, but yeah unethical as hell. I doubt its is legal even for a dentist's office although like retailers they are not held to the same standards as a bank, and there are likely few enforcement mechanisms. It would not surprise me if that practice were widespread.

The CFPB actually solicits customer complaints, so if you are still pissed about it, you could try telling your story to them. That agency really likes to hear about how companies are being sleazeballs and how industry practices are unfair. They have fewer teeth under Trump than they did under Obama, but their scope of regulation is pretty broad and they address a lot of stuff that is technically legal but not fair/ethical. I have not heard rumblings of them investigating doctor's office financing but if they get enough complaints about it they just might. For Instance, I think they were the first government agency to start looking at sub-prime auto lending.

Thanks, I might just do that. I don't know if the credit thing is common, but other sleazy things they did were, like sticking a camera in my mouth with the contrast turned way up so normal color variation looked like deadly cavities. The entire appointment was just an attempt to upsell a bunch of invasive and unnecessary procedures. The guy told me I needed four root canals and like a dozen crowns. Luckily I had the wherewithal to seek a second opinion and found out I didn't have so much as a single cavity, but I'm sure a lot of people going through that office get scared to death and scammed out of thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Thanks, I might just do that. I don't know if the credit thing is common, but other sleazy things they did were, like sticking a camera in my mouth with the contrast turned way up so normal color variation looked like deadly cavities. The entire appointment was just an attempt to upsell a bunch of invasive and unnecessary procedures. The guy told me I needed four root canals and like a dozen crowns. Luckily I had the wherewithal to seek a second opinion and found out I didn't have so much as a single cavity, but I'm sure a lot of people going through that office get scared to death and scammed out of thousands.

Sounds like the America's Best Eyeglasses of the dentistry world.