Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

EoinCannon posted:

Saw, airplane skywriting a massive "NO" in the sky above Melbourne just now :(

I'm just going to assume its related to the new renters laws. Otherwise it means they've waited until most SSM surveys were already returned thus rendering it pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CrazyTolradi posted:

Lol if you think nursing homes are willing to fork out for that
They would if it was properly subsidised and cheap and didn't have a Carbon Tax making it impossible for the small business people and the little guy. Like that nice Mr Adani.

-/-

I used to regularly take a cab between EMI studios and Studio 301 (or vice versa) with a guitar and a bunch of other gear. The only reason the taxis would come for the pick up was because they thought they might meet someone famous (Ha ha sucked in). The bitching was usually intense.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paingod556 posted:

I'm just going to assume its related to the new renters laws. Otherwise it means they've waited until most SSM surveys were already returned thus rendering it pointless

That's what baffled me, surely the time for this bullshit was months ago

Still pissed me off more than I thought it would, where's a stinger missile when you need one?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

EoinCannon posted:

Saw an airplane skywriting a massive "NO" in the sky above Melbourne just now :(

They're doing a lot of No's over and over so it looks like the sky is having a tantrum.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was running down the Yarra and as soon as I saw the first line I was like "here we loving go"
They started on the second one as soon as they finished the first one cos the wind was mucking it up a bit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they're actually writing ONE NATION

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ban taxis
ban uber
bike supremacy
ban helmets

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How's the high court case going?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I gave an Uber driver a 1 but he was also very obviously on meth and nearly killed me twice so I felt like he earned it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Laserface posted:

I gave an Uber driver a 1 but he was also very obviously on meth and nearly killed me twice so I felt like he earned it.

can you confirm/deny if birdstrike still has his teeth?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birdstrike posted:

ban taxis
ban uber
bike supremacy
ban helmets

O-Bikes or bust.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taxis would be a lot better if there was a unified app and you could push a button when they swear at you and refuse to take you somewhere.

Well, if the button didn't just go straight to someone's deleted items.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 10, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I haven't taken a taxi for a couple of years now, relatedly my instances of listening to someone be a racist bigot for 20-30 mins has also ceased.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

tithin posted:

How's the high court case going?

Well one of the justices brought up that under Sykes this question, naturalised vs inherited, may have already been addressed and found it didn't matter how the citizenship was obtained its unconstitutional.

The government mumbled.

quote:

One of the justices just brought up that Sykes v Cleary may have already addressed the issue of natural-born Australian v naturalised citizen – and that it shouldn’t be treated differently. It’s just a question, at this stage, but Donaghue didn’t directly address it, other than to say the government’s submission wasn’t directly relying on that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Eye agree

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

Well one of the justices brought up that under Sykes this question, naturalised vs inherited, may have already been addressed and found it didn't matter how the citizenship was obtained its unconstitutional.

The government mumbled.

yesssssss

:getin:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I don't think that taxi drivers should be paid trash and get hosed over by short fares.

I also don't think that it's my fault and I should be sworn at for trying to get home after 4 weeks offshore and 6 hours of transit.

Uber is bad and I don't think ignoring regulations entirely is the right response to a shittily regulated industry, so I'll keep taking taxis and trying to do the right things by the underpaid drivers (because I don't want to be shouted at when I'm tired and just want to get home and crawl into bed). Sadly cops can't crack down on lovely companies with lovely contracts loving their employees.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I take Newcastle Hire Cars. They get paid about the same as cabbies and don't give you poo poo about the length of your journey. I also tip because holy poo poo cabbies don't get paid anything.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is this a particularly airport focussed problem? It's anecdotal but I'm guessing outside of nights the majority of taxi passengers are older or disabled people taking trips since they can't drive themselves. My aunty takes taxis a lot and it's never that far, but she has to ring and get one out to her anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's always going to be a bigger issue at airports because of the queue. If you line up at the airport for an hour and get a $15 fare you're not going to make any money.

I don't see a way around it when all the taxi drivers are competing against each other. The airport has no incentive to do anything about because it doesn't affect their profits, the taxi owners don't have any incentive to do anything about it because it doesn't affect their profits. It all falls on the driver.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I thought the flag-fall was designed to make shorter trips better. Goes to show I know nothing about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I take cabs for work and get the odd poo poo driver in town. It's mainly late at night when you're desperate and at the airport. I fight them at the airport because I have a cab charge for work but anything outside of that it's uber. I'm not paying money to fight with people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

It's always going to be a bigger issue at airports because of the queue. If you line up at the airport for an hour and get a $15 fare you're not going to make any money.

Yeah but they crack the shits over a $30 fare that's a good run on the freeway.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Admiral posted:

I have, but the only three or so times I've done it has been because the driving was loving terrible. Turns out that two of those times, the drivers were off-duty Taxi drivers doing Uber in their own cars. One driver, when casually asked if he's a taxi driver too, happily replied with "Yes, you can tell by the driving quality right?!" and I was like... yeah, you really can.

Holy poo poo you still post here

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

Yeah but they crack the shits over a $30 fare that's a good run on the freeway.

I bet you make more than $30 an hour.

Cab drivers are terribly paid at the best of times, and they're already too expensive for the people who need them most.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

ABS stats have released again.

As of last Friday the estimate is 10 million returned (62.5%)

Previous week was 9.2 million (57.5%)

Currently we're at 2% higher turnout than Ireland's vote.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

If they are queuing for an hour regularly then it's probably time to give up on the airport. It's like a cafe getting angry at someone for not ordering enough food.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
So do we find out whether the dual citz lose their seats today? I want pain.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

If they are queuing for an hour regularly then it's probably time to give up on the airport. It's like a cafe getting angry at someone for not ordering enough food.

I'm not trying to excuse them, but it's hardly surprising that they get upset about it. Ideally they'd start a union, go on strike and get better conditions.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

snoremac posted:

So do we find out whether the dual citz lose their seats today? I want pain.

I think it's scheduled for three days?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

cohsae posted:

ABS stats have released again.

As of last Friday the estimate is 10 million returned (62.5%)

Previous week was 9.2 million (57.5%)

Currently we're at 2% higher turnout than Ireland's vote.

I hope it passes so the American currently arguing that 50+people murdered and 10× that wounded, now to be bankrupted by medical bills, is just the price of freedom will think better of this lovely sunburned land

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

I bet you make more than $30 an hour.

Cab drivers are terribly paid at the best of times, and they're already too expensive for the people who need them most.

Yeah I do. So what? I don't get given work I don't like that needs to be done in overtime and tell the people I'm meeting that they're cunts for it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

I'm not trying to excuse them, but it's hardly surprising that they get upset about it. Ideally they'd start a union, go on strike and get better conditions.

Not at all disputing that taxi drivers get a raw deal, but the instant you start abusing someone in a small enclosed space with you for asking for the service you specifically advertise then you deserve to lose your job.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Now I'm wondering about the ethics of taking short trips from the airport. If you know that the cab driver will lose money on a trip is it ethical to use the law to force them to drive you?

The obvious argument is if they don't like it then they shouldn't be cab drivers, but I'm not sure if it's very convincing. Presumably if they could get a better job they would have done that by now. I think the responsibility probably rests with the airport/government. If they are going to allow short fares then they should set up some sort of equalisation scheme so that drivers aren't working for free.

Senor Tron posted:

Not at all disputing that taxi drivers get a raw deal, but the instant you start abusing someone in a small enclosed space with you for asking for the service you specifically advertise then you deserve to lose your job.

Yeah, there's no excusing that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

Now I'm wondering about the ethics of taking short trips from the airport. If you know that the cab driver will lose money on a trip is it ethical to use the law to force them to drive you?

The obvious argument is if they don't like it then they shouldn't be cab drivers, but I'm not sure if it's very convincing. Presumably if they could get a better job they would have done that by now. I think the responsibility probably rests with the airport/government. If they are going to allow short fares then they should set up some sort of equalisation scheme so that drivers aren't working for free.

Yeah, there's no excusing that.

What's the alternative? Walking from the airport to nearby places? How far is reasonable? A shitton of buses going everywhere?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

Yes. A $30-40 fare not being a $100 fare to Ringwood isn't a reason to refuse to safely transfer a customer to their destination.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

What's the alternative? Walking from the airport to nearby places? How far is reasonable? A shitton of buses going everywhere?

I'm not sure it matters for the question. Assume there are no alternative options for transport and it's either a cab or nothing. It's not the cab driver's fault you're stuck at the airport, so is it ethical to make it their problem?

Or assume there are plenty of shuttles that will make a profit and take you almost where you need to go, with a short walk at the end. Is it ethical to take a cab then?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 10, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

iajanus posted:

Walking across an extremely high-traffic area, usually unshaded and likely with inadequate paths and seating and considerable distance from anywhere, and while carrying up to several articles of bulky luggage? Most airports DO have a shitton of buses going back and forth, but still. They're not easy places to navigate, partly because of extremely car-centric planning, partly by necessity because the terminals need to be in the middle of a bunch of big empty space for the planes to move.

Also this seems ironic because I recall the opposite problem in some American cities; that cab drivers only want to go back and forth from the airport all day. It seems to be an issue with the payment system either way, encouraging bad driver habits. Same reason with the 'broken' credit card reader issue', they have financial incentives to make passengers pay cash.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

open24hours posted:

I'm not sure it matters for the question. Assume there are no alternative options for transport and it's either a cab or nothing. It's not the cab driver's fault your stuck at the airport, so is it ethical to make it their problem?

Or assume there are plenty of shuttles that will make a profit and take you almost where you need to go, with a short walk at the end. Is it ethical to take a cab then?

They are voluntarily providing an advertised service wherein they will pick you up at the airport and take you to the destination you request. It's completely ethical to expect them to do their job. It's not like you've gotten into a public bus and demanded it drive you to your house. This is a bizarre line of thinking and the only rational reason I can think of for asking along it is to plaay devil's advocate.

If the cabs want to change the definition of what they do and start implementing a system where there're sections to wait in for cabs that go different distances, then it'd be different. At this stage, it's completely ethical (insofar as catching a cab at all can be ethical).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

iajanus posted:

This is a bizarre line of thinking and the only rational reason I can think of for asking along it is to plaay devil's advocate.

i see you are unfamiliar with open24hours' unique brand

• Locked thread