Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my girlfriend doesn't play (as far as I know) a lot of shmups, she's more of a gamecube person (lots of SMSunshine and Kirby Air Ride)

if i get this for us to co-op is she going to cry and hate it? i still can't tell just how hard this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

my girlfriend doesn't play (as far as I know) a lot of shmups, she's more of a gamecube person (lots of SMSunshine and Kirby Air Ride)

if i get this for us to co-op is she going to cry and hate it? i still can't tell just how hard this is

It's hard. If she doesn't have a sense of humor about losing repeatedly then it's going to stress her out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know how co-op works mechanically. If she's terrible but I'm good does she basically live forever?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Each time you die in co-op your ghost gets faster and faster so it's harder to catch so after a few times you won't be able to revive her. That and the ghost is usually in the middle of a boss's attack so it's trading a HP for a revive in a lot of cases I've seen.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't know how co-op works mechanically. If she's terrible but I'm good does she basically live forever?

Basically can revive if you hit a parry on the ghost rising from their corpse, they'll revive at 1 hp. This can be tough as this game get's really bullet helly. If you miss the parry you still live, but this game is seriously hard. It takes a lot of patience. If she's easily frustrated I would say no go, but if she can handle trying the same level 30 plus times it's worth a try.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do the boss' have any sort of changes in co-op or are they exactly the same as single player?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Do the boss' have any sort of changes in co-op or are they exactly the same as single player?

They have inflated health and thats it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
I got stuck on the robot and the mermaid at the same time and that was terrible but I finally beat the robot by syncing the first three destructions. Stage lady and mouse seemed super easy by comparison, though the cat reveal was awesome. Already on the last stage of train consistently too. gently caress this mermaid lady though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nevvy Z posted:

I got stuck on the robot and the mermaid at the same time and that was terrible but I finally beat the robot by syncing the first three destructions. Stage lady and mouse seemed super easy by comparison, though the cat reveal was awesome. Already on the last stage of train consistently too. gently caress this mermaid lady though.

It's funny, the mermaid I got in like two tries while the rat took me way longer. Not nearly as long as the bee or the robot, but I had a rough time with limited amount of room you get in the second phase

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cala Maria seems to be really difficult for some people and totally trivial for others. It probably depends on how quickly you figure out to move straight up and down to dodge the things that come out of her mouth in phase 1 (which renders the pufferfish spam harmless).

Dragon some people pass quickly but anyone can see why he might be difficult if you haven't played tons of platformers before.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Is it just me or do the shmup bosses jump in difficulty much further than the regular bosses when playing on expert

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm playing it with my wife and it's really goddamn hard. Bosses are harder to kill so if you aren't exactly the same skill level, you have to do more damage than you would solo. I played some of the levels we already beat by myself and felt like a loving pro for how fast I was killing things by comparison.

There's a handful of places where having 2 people is beneficial though. Though I'm not sure if, for example, the huge help of having 2 people on phase 1 of the robot outweights having to do the final phase by myself. My wife is having a good time though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

really liking the heck out of this game, haven't played a good run and gun in a good long while

I've noticed that dashing is more or less optional for the most part, thank goodness, but other than the cigar miniboss in the boss rush, do any others really require it? I'm enjoying playing the game like Metal Slug for the most part

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Weeping Wound posted:

really liking the heck out of this game, haven't played a good run and gun in a good long while

I've noticed that dashing is more or less optional for the most part, thank goodness, but other than the cigar miniboss in the boss rush, do any others really require it? I'm enjoying playing the game like Metal Slug for the most part

Dashing feels really great just as soon as you bind it to another button and gotten the charm to upgrade it. I can't imagine playing without it but that charm was the first thing I bought and I've never taken it off. I've been doing dash on left trigger, shoot on right trigger, then face buttons for jump, lock, ex, and switch weapons.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Anyone that's played both versions have any thoughts on Steam vs. Xbox One? Debating on which version to get.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Dreyvas posted:

Anyone that's played both versions have any thoughts on Steam vs. Xbox One? Debating on which version to get.

Every version is really the same except the Windows Store version which has weird issues.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
the only bosses i didn't use smoke bomb on (besides plane levels obv) were...

dragon - used +1 hp. most hp loss was due to trying to avoid a thing, missing a cloud platform, and hitting the ground. smoke bomb gives you more flexibility in where to dash to, but i just found the extra hp better.
ghost train - homing shots and auto-parry are basically a cheese for this boss.

used +1 hp on perilous pier as well. didn't feel like the smoke bomb was helping me avoid anything. homing shots also make this much easier.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
FWIW smoke dash isn't useless on plane levels - you get some invincibility and a short dash when you change to little plane mode. I can't say it's super amazing but I didn't feel the need to change to auto-parry, the other charm I bought. It was nice for going through beams on the robot at least.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

i loving came home from work and she had already bought it and was ready to go, apparently she had heard about it online and thought i'd be interested. I hadn't brought it up with her yet.

i love this woman so much

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

FWIW smoke dash isn't useless on plane levels - you get some invincibility and a short dash when you change to little plane mode. I can't say it's super amazing but I didn't feel the need to change to auto-parry, the other charm I bought. It was nice for going through beams on the robot at least.

Might try it out again if I end up going back to do expert. I just used +1 hp on plane levels. I honestly don't rmbr parrying anything in them except robot chest attack.

Robot is my fav boss, but I am a shmup guy and it was fun avoiding interesting attacks that didn't involve going Neo mode on a million bullets.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yahtzee loved Cuphead, one of his rarer "basically all positive" reviews

basically all week at work while i've been getting poo poo from my boss and dealing with my coworkers stunning incompetence, I am constantly reminded of Cuphead, and his rugged daring do in the face of certain death, and I say "Pull up dem pants, Cuphead." and I do what needs to get done as brutally as possible. Its been a sick week. Cuphead is a berry good Bideo James.

EDIT: Actually if anyone could make me a continous GIF of Cuphead pulling up his pants, I would almost certainly swap my AV and buy them a platinum upgrade.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 12, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Cuphead past the 1 million sold mark, gently caress yeah.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm sad that this doesn't have Mac support, I wanted to play it while I'm on traveling but all I have is a macbook.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm ready for Cuphead 2 now please

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm sad that this doesn't have Mac support, I wanted to play it while I'm on traveling but all I have is a macbook.

Actually it has my full support

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just popping in to show off my new Av, care of forums user Glam Rock Hamrock

I am a very style oriented person and Cuphead knows exactly what it's trying to be and it has really impacted me, even if I am trash at it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I'm ready for Cuphead 2 now please
Honestly, people have been talking about how to make a good Superman game for years. Make a Superman boss rush game from the makers of Cuphead in the Max Fleischer style.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.
I had a great first run through the game entirely co-op. We did run into a few issues. Both of us used charged shot and would have our charge fizzle and reset whenever a parry was used by the OTHER person which really hosed up our timing for most of the game. We also couldn't parry the same platforming object at the same time leaving one of use to fall and get hurt.

We also ran into a few hardlocks from parrying the same projectile which forced an alt-f4. A softlock happened on the devil when one of us died during the first phase change and the scene wouldn't progress. We also had the robot get stuck in the transition into the last phase and could kill him at our leisure.

My controller would sometimes vibrate until I was hit again, too.

I look forward to running through solo now. Some of the bosses I've done alone feel totally different with regards to enemy health. It's a huge difference over the course of the game i.e. when 1 charged shot solo kills a minion vs 2 when both of us were present. It seemed to ask a lot in some situations that we would both have to play in unison. Run n Guns were a huge pain in the rear end for these reasons.

I still loved it a lot overall.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i messed with king dice

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

i messed with king dice

All hail Cowcaster

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I tried the smoke bomb charm early on and it just hosed me up because you can't see where you're going and I didn't have the spacing of the dash memorized, I guess you just have to get used to that. But it never really felt necessary to me, so I used 4 health for a long time, and then alternated between the passive charge and the auto parry for levels with tough parries. But now I'm up to the theater lady boss, and I feel like smoke bomb is really useful on this one, because you can easily swap sides with her and can totally skip past that tidal wave attack in phase 3

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This game is so loving good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

super fart shooter posted:

I tried the smoke bomb charm early on and it just hosed me up because you can't see where you're going and I didn't have the spacing of the dash memorized, I guess you just have to get used to that. But it never really felt necessary to me, so I used 4 health for a long time, and then alternated between the passive charge and the auto parry for levels with tough parries. But now I'm up to the theater lady boss, and I feel like smoke bomb is really useful on this one, because you can easily swap sides with her and can totally skip past that tidal wave attack in phase 3

The smoke bomb completely trivializes the entire gimmick of her final phase. It also makes several of her other stuff pretty easy. I ended up one shotting her. Oh yeah and the tidal waves. I actually didn't realize how you were actually supposed to do that fight until watching a Lets Play of it later.

There's a mini boss in the King Dice fight who also has a gimmick that you can just completely ignore cause you can dash right through her

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Hilda Berg hosed me up for a while. I don't know what it is about black projectiles during that fight but my brain had a really hard time remembering they were damaging.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

JackDarko posted:

Hilda Berg hosed me up for a while. I don't know what it is about black projectiles during that fight but my brain had a really hard time remembering they were damaging.

Came here to post about how much I hate Hilda Berg and what do you know!

I've already beaten the game and have all achievements including no-hit King Dice, except for completing the game on Expert. The first few bosses almost felt exactly the same on Expert mode until the slot machine frogs starting rapid firing coins at me, but Hilda Berg is somehow stopping me dead. I can somewhat reliably get up to the third phase but it's just one of those fights where there's too much to keep track of, especially when you have one green and one purple torpedo shooting two different attacks while her laugh attack also goes out. I also get hit 99% of the time by that lightning wheel thing that the second phase shoots out, my best guess having watched it while dying repeatedly is that the circle seems to start at the top or bottom and you have 1/2 a second to figure out which way it's going.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Cultisto posted:

Came here to post about how much I hate Hilda Berg and what do you know!

I've already beaten the game and have all achievements including no-hit King Dice, except for completing the game on Expert. The first few bosses almost felt exactly the same on Expert mode until the slot machine frogs starting rapid firing coins at me, but Hilda Berg is somehow stopping me dead. I can somewhat reliably get up to the third phase but it's just one of those fights where there's too much to keep track of, especially when you have one green and one purple torpedo shooting two different attacks while her laugh attack also goes out. I also get hit 99% of the time by that lightning wheel thing that the second phase shoots out, my best guess having watched it while dying repeatedly is that the circle seems to start at the top or bottom and you have 1/2 a second to figure out which way it's going.

This is really close to how I felt when trying to beat Hilda on expert (which I eventually did). It's not like her attacks are that much harder, it's more that there's so many of them and they were all made harder, making the challenge of keeping patterns and whatnot straight all the more difficult. The wheel thing, as you mention, is particularly aggravating, as it often feels like a 50/50 in just determining the right place to be so as to not get hit the instant it starts firing. Also, is it just me or do the colors of the UFOs in her final stage no longer correspond to whether they fire early or late?

She's been the most aggravating part of trying to beat the game on expert so far. Even Djimmi and Beppi (the only two I've beaten on Inkwell Isle Two to this point) weren't as bad. Still, I'm very much enjoying the added challenge and I'm delighted that there's a level of replayability to a game this excellent (beyond just beating it again on regular, which I probably would've done anyway).

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 16, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Late answer to the best boss question but it's obviously Cala Maria, because her second phase has an even more powerful hand dance than Cagney Carnation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I find her transitions too nasty. First she's this pretty lady, then she screams in pain as she's attacked by eels and turns into a monster, then she screams in pain again as her body turns to stone and crumbles away. It just feels so brutal.

In terms of how much fun it is my favorite's King Dice at this point, but the coolest character designs imo are the princess and Djimmi.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Djimmi is my favourite shmup boss for sure

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Cagney's probably my favorite overall fight; arguably the game's best music matched with excellent character design and a level of difficulty that's fun on regular and challenging on expert.

Werner Werman might be my favorite character design. I love his little soupcan tank to death and there's an expressiveness to his gestures and mannerisms (especially as he gets more and more beat up) that I adore.

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Plus the cat transition with the mouse ghosts is fantastic. The way the paw inches along the screen is so funny .

• Locked thread