Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So what does 'annulled and intermodal' mean exactly, and due to low volume? Low volume of what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

The Locator posted:

So what does 'annulled and intermodal' mean exactly, and due to low volume? Low volume of what?

sorry i assumed that foamers know the jargon

to annul - to cancel the train
intermodal- a train carrying shipping containers or trailers.
volume- the length of the train. maybe merchadise/bulk also consider tonnage but that's rarely an issue for intermodals.

so the train didn't run because someone decided that it wasn't worth running the train based on a single factor: the length of the train. this decision ignored the failure to provide the agreed upon service level to the customer, the cost of holding cars/containers/power/crew, the additional congestion it created and saved no money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

vains posted:

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not a foamer (I can't even be bothered to get up and look at the trains that go past my house on the tracks that are right behind it, even though it's a fairly irregular event), I'm just an AI guy who is interested enough in train stuff to find this thread interesting, and I have learned quite a bit from it (like what a 'foamer' is - I had no idea before this thread).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vains posted:

to annul - to cancel the train
intermodal- a train carrying shipping containers or trailers.
volume- the length of the train. maybe merchadise/bulk also consider tonnage but that's rarely an issue for intermodals.

so the train didn't run because someone decided that it wasn't worth running the train based on a single factor: the length of the train. this decision ignored the failure to provide the agreed upon service level to the customer, the cost of holding cars/containers/power/crew, the additional congestion it created and saved no money.

I think I know who did this.

Was it... Hunter Harrison?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

The Locator posted:

(like what a 'foamer' is - I had no idea before this thread).

Called such, I believe, because they foam at the mouth when they see trains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can confirm that the service standard for intermodal is somewhere between nonexistent and lol

vains
May 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can confirm that the service standard for intermodal is somewhere between nonexistent and lol

if we didnt already know, jb hunt has a bi-weekly call to remind us that we suck right now.

edit: maybe i meant semi-monthly? idk. doesn't really matter.

i also get the pleasure of having ups tell us that we suck tomorrow. followed by dinner at some fancy place, so i think the good and the bads average out there.

vains fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 11, 2017

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Heads up to any goons in north Texas - the BNSF business train is out and about. It was parked on track five at Dallas Union Station last night. Couldn't get any pictures because I was running a train myself.

vains
May 26, 2004

we're either closing NWOH(the place with the big cranes in the middle of no where OH) or its only going to remain open to run like a regular terminal. no more sorting boxes there. in support of this, intermodal traffic is beginning to get mixed into the merchandise/automotive network.

for context: NWOH exists in order to generate volume in all lanes. detroit to worcester might only have 5 boxes a day. That doesn't warrant a direct train or even a block on a train from detroit. but, if you can get 10 boxes from detroit and 7 from cleveland and 9 from columbus and 5 from louisville, you have enough volume to warrant a block on a train. that's what nwoh did.

however, every time you pick a box up it costs money. while the boxes are sitting at nwoh to be reloaded, their transit time is getting steadily worse. both of these things are baked into the rate that the customer receives but it makes the lane less competitive vs the other guy. all the equipment needed to make this lane viable, from a volume perspective, is sitting there collecting dwell and creating congestion.

on top of that, you're inducing a single point of failure in an entire region. there were a lot of trains running in the north and a good portion of them stopped there to work. if nwoh was congested, it impacted almost all of the downstream terminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpi1jswifac

vains fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 14, 2017

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Posting to find my only other post here...

and gently caress. Sorry, the pics I wanted are gone.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Locator posted:

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not a foamer (I can't even be bothered to get up and look at the trains that go past my house on the tracks that are right behind it, even though it's a fairly irregular event), I'm just an AI guy who is interested enough in train stuff to find this thread interesting, and I have learned quite a bit from it (like what a 'foamer' is - I had no idea before this thread).

Your not alone.

Learned more in one post than I will in a week. And for some reason I'll retain it...probably because I like trains yet can't be arsed to remember what I had for breakfast.

Wish there was more UP Big Boy stuff. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place or they just don't post a lot because progress is slow. (And rightfully so I surmise, big project)

Good thread.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_JEgfhVqQ

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So why do they even bother with plow trains when regular freights can just push their way through like that? Only when it's really hard packed or icy?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Locator posted:

So why do they even bother with plow trains when regular freights can just push their way through like that? Only when it's really hard packed or icy?

Or really high, I think.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iospace posted:

Or really high, I think.

I was curious because I've seen a bunch of train plow videos on YT where there isn't even as much snow as that freight train was going through there.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
They probably also take into consideration the state of the track as well as the usual train profiles cause I probably wouldnt want to try that with a normal train if the tracks were poo poo.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Ireland's reaction to the hurricane is good so far.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Just a random pic from work taken while waiting to find out when I was leaving.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Extreme winds in Alberta blew two trains off the tracks, one of them off a bridge. This is a pic posted by a friend on Facebook:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Extreme winds in Alberta blew two trains off the tracks, one of them off a bridge. This is a pic posted by a friend on Facebook:

Looks like it just blew the cars, engine is still on the tracks.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

vains posted:

we're either closing NWOH

Along with closing the hump yards, this is baffling to me. I thought the whole point of North Baltimore was to get intermodal boxes the hell into/out of the ports to reduce congestion and wait times that sorting at the port leads to. HH can't get put into the ground soon enough.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HH is the embodiment of everything wrong with capitalism today: short term profit at the expensive of long term profit.

vains
May 26, 2004

NoWake posted:

Along with closing the hump yards, this is baffling to me. I thought the whole point of North Baltimore was to get intermodal boxes the hell into/out of the ports to reduce congestion and wait times that sorting at the port leads to. HH can't get put into the ground soon enough.

closing nwoh makes some sense, if you're willing to shed some low margin or low density business to do so.

to be clear, nwoh doesn't exist to sort boxes for the ports. they should, for the most part, already be blocked at origin for a port. the steamship lines move enough volume that density already exists or we dont offer the service.

the real purpose of nwoh is to aggregate volume in low density lanes. for example, detroit might only generate 3 containers a day for syracuse and louisville might generate 3 containers for syracuse and so forth. once nwoh came online, we would route all those 1s and 2s in a block of cars that went under the cranes at nwoh to get re-loaded into a bigger block of syracuse traffic. individually, the detroit to syracuse lane isn't viable. collectively, through nwoh, there is enough traffic to put a block on a train to set out at syracuse.

the downside is that the transit times were pretty long if you had to make a connection through nwoh. it's also really expensive to operate the place.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hi goons! I manage a container fleet for a large class 1 and might have some neato pics from one of our terminals tomorrow. Also down to answer questions.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I recently picked up a new 4k video camera for my train sperging. I don't know if this sort of thing is at all interesting to you folks since this topic has always been more industry focused than foamy but here's one of the better videos I've shot since I got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZt0xEF77Z0

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Recently, the not-so-Great Western Railway launched its new Electric/Diesel bimode express trains:

(new train at the front, second-newest at the back)

It...didn't go so well.

https://twitter.com/scott4sarah/status/919832041562279938

https://twitter.com/CommutingRants/status/919819735684050945

https://twitter.com/PJTurton/status/920993487474102273

Eventually, in a decade or two, someone will realise that half-arsing the electrification of the Great Western Mainline was a really, really stupid thing to do and pay even more billions to finish the job.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Good to see the tradition of crap British trains carried on for new generations to enjoy.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Was gonna say, We're going to see an Axeman Jim post come of this, aren't we?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Itzena posted:

(new train at the front, second-newest at the back)

I laughed at that joke. Tornado is a reproduction, was finished in 2008.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Good to see the tradition of crap British trains carried on for new generations to enjoy.
hey, those are crap Japanese trains

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Cerv posted:

hey, those are crap Japanese trains

but they are ARE CRAP JAPANESE TRAINS :britain:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delivery McGee posted:

I laughed at that joke. Tornado is a reproduction, was finished in 2008.

I'd say reproduction is a misnomer. It's a Peppercorn A1, but built from scratch and with upgrades they theorized would follow with "modern" steam.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I grabbed this shot on my way to work this morning. CSX #5382 heading North along the River Line in Highland, NY (opposite Poughkeepsie).

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's a great spot, I shot this from the bridge a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JWm4zUg2s

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That's the spot!
edit: that little back-and-forth section on the North side of the bridge is pretty lol

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

an AOL chatroom posted:

That's the spot!
edit: that little back-and-forth section on the North side of the bridge is pretty lol

Train snek.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
One of my younger coworkers shot this like last year ago or so, when a group of guys got together for drinks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Illinois seeking help to fix congested 75th Street bottleneck

Anyone here ever been through this? How bad is it? How does the plan to fix it sound?

vains
May 26, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Illinois seeking help to fix congested 75th Street bottleneck

Anyone here ever been through this? How bad is it? How does the plan to fix it sound?

part of the congestion is entirely self imposed by the class 1s due to how revenue is generated: moving cars/containers over distance.

for intermodal moves from the west coast to east of chicago: a huge amount of containers are generated at the ports of los angeles/long beach or at crossdock facilities in the inland empire and destined for ohio or the northeast. for the west coast roads, the furthest distance that these containers can possibly move is from the la area to chicago and therefore maximum revenue is attained by interchanging there. marginal cost is less than marginal revenue for line of road movement. the cost to load/unload the containers is fixed or only slightly variable.

there are less congested interchange points, but there isn't any strong incentive to use them. chicago could maybe impose a tax but they dont want to chase off business. i don't think the stb has the power to force railroads to use less congested interchange points. an actual trucking capacity crunch in the chicago region might cause a business change(a lot of containers are trucked from an intermodal ramp on the west side of chicago to a ramp on the east side or vice versa), but i think it would just result in more shady driving schools and more eastern european/african immigrant truck drivers.

on the subject of interchange points: this was one of the tactics used by conrail to become profitable. there are 2 large semi-fixed costs on any car movement: the work at the origin terminal(picking the car up, switching into block) and the work at the destination terminal(switching the car for delivery to the customer and delivering it). conrail predecessors, lacking bargaining position due to a congested market and declining loaded car originations, would accept interchanges at any of a number of points. without the car originations, conrail predecessors lacked the bargaining position to negotiate a more equitable revenue split. conrail, operating as a monopoly in a stronger market with looser govt regulation(thanks to the staggers act), was able to shut down a number of interchange points. i don't have the book where i read this in front of me, but it might have just been balt/dc, cincinnati, east st louis and chicago for major car volumes.

this could have come out of 1 of 4 books: the men who love trains, the great railroad revolution, american railraods, or some book that i can't remember the exact title of but it was something along the lines of '50 short essays on railroading.

https://www.amazon.com/Men-Who-Loved-Trains-Industry/dp/0253347572/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510029513&sr=1-7&keywords=conrail
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Railro...ywords=railroad
https://www.amazon.com/American-Rai...ywords=railroad

vains fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Speaking of locomotive insanity, a guy in Phoenix was released from jail in the morning, ended up going to a rail yard and trying to steal a locomotive. Busted again.

http://fox6now.com/2017/11/18/police-man-nearly-steals-two-trains-from-phoenix-rail-yard