Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have a Templar who doesn't have blade storm and may need to be sacrificed

Put him in a MEC - ohwait :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am certain this has been covered. But at the end of that exercise restraint video that just came out they show "Dr Vahlen's Secret Volcano Base" getting nuked.. which is Exactly what happens to it in the prequel novel to Xcom2. The book also confirms that she doesn't die when it gets nuked.

Just sayin'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzm9P4LK62E

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Good news for anyone who has that old soldier file from the early days of this thread, the one that was random famous people/characters, including Davy Jones. Or just generally wants an army of skellingtons- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1163521787

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Too spoopy for me.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Samovar posted:

Too spoopy for me.

You want spoop?

What if I told you there was a mod that added back in Vahlen complaining about explosives

... FOR EVERY EXPLOSIVE KILL YOU MAKE

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

You want spoop?

What if I told you there was a mod that added back in Vahlen complaining about explosives

... FOR EVERY EXPLOSIVE KILL YOU MAKE

What if I told you

We've been laughing at this for like 2 pages already.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What if I told you

We've been laughing at this for like 2 pages already.

You mean the Twitch stream that I assume this mod was based on? Yeah, that was brilliant. Hence why I linked the mod, for those who need more rambling dialogue along with Bradford and the Chosen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a companion mod that has CLOSE RANGE?! every time I use Reaper or Bladestorm

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So is Lost World permanent, because it's not showing up under dark events and it's making fighting my explosives-weak Warlock real annoying

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Danaru posted:

So is Lost World permanent, because it's not showing up under dark events and it's making fighting my explosives-weak Warlock real annoying

It's a bug, IIRC Lost World will only go away after you get a new Lost SITREP.

There's a mod that fixes it, but unfortunately it only works in new campaigns: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1127790621&searchtext=

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's a bug, IIRC Lost World will only go away after you get a new Lost SITREP.

There's a mod that fixes it, but unfortunately it only works in new campaigns: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1127790621&searchtext=

Well if any dark event is gonna get stuck, at least it's lost world and not the hunter UFO :v: I think the mission I'm on right now has a Lost sitrep so hopefully that's all resolved

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aw beans I knew I was forgetting something :whitewater:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I have no idea how people can play this on Legendary. Just had a mission where the Assassin plus lots of enemies, a Codex, missed shots and a short timer to disable a transmitter utterly hosed my poo poo.

Assassin's such a pain in the rear end with its 90 tile movement radius and invisibility. :suicide:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I got a Guerrilla Op as a scanning reward.
I also found out that the Low Profile Sitrep doesn't require you to have any soldiers that qualify for it.

Rookies vs Gatekeeper was fun.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is LW2 not compatible with WOTC? I tried it, and it didn't change anything. So I disabled all the other mods I have, and now it crashes on start-up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Firstborn posted:

Is LW2 not compatible with WOTC? I tried it, and it didn't change anything. So I disabled all the other mods I have, and now it crashes on start-up.

No, it would have to be pretty massively overhauled for WOTC and officially they aren't saying anything about a WOTC version right now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Ahh, makes sense. That being said, is LW2 worth playing over WOTC?

I jumped straight into WOTC without playing vanilla XCOM 2.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for my money, definitely not. LW2 has a lot of stuff going on but very little of it meshes well together. WotC has a fair number of things that don't quite 'belong' or are super annoying (like the general chat level of the Chosen) but in general everything feels like a whole-cloth product.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Not really. It definitely takes a different approach, but WoTC makes a lot of alterations in the same vein as LW was trying to do. I'm curious to see if they make a WoTC version, I'd definitely give it a try. But I'm not gonna go back, WoTC is too good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Firstborn posted:

Eh, maybe. Its going to run a hell of a lot worse since it lacks the WOTC engine updates and the amount of stuff they crammed in had me get a softlock bug after every third mission or so due to a memory leak.

It also leans heavily into the LW design ethos where literally nothing is reliable. It added a 10% graze band to every shot that converts hits/misses to grazes, heavy weapon scatter, a 'yellow alert' system for its pods where pods that have heard a noise might take actions on reveal, hid the reinforcement beacons, made the environment almost indestructible, made corpses a ridiculous bottleneck for everything since you very rarely get missions where you don't extract etc.

I guess it depends on how much you liked LW1 and that kind of design in general.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Coolguye posted:

for my money, definitely not. LW2 has a lot of stuff going on but very little of it meshes well together. WotC has a fair number of things that don't quite 'belong' or are super annoying (like the general chat level of the Chosen) but in general everything feels like a whole-cloth product.

This. WotC actuallly has a curve that gives new players an idea of how to play, although once you reach the Lost and Found story mission it can dogpile

Meanwhile LW2 is for Xcom veterans and explains everything in documentation, not gameplay. Do not try that until you're comfortable with Commander difficulty. Not necessarily good, just not failing all the time.

Its academic anyway, as major mods require a 'Highlander' override. WotC uses a different backend so the Highlander has to be updated. Which means the fun stuff like LW2 and Idle Suppression will crash on startup until that happens

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

This. WotC actuallly has a curve that gives new players an idea of how to play, although once you reach the Lost and Found story mission it can dogpile

Meanwhile LW2 is for Xcom veterans and explains everything in documentation, not gameplay. Do not try that until you're comfortable with Commander difficulty. Not necessarily good, just not failing all the time.

Its academic anyway, as major mods require a 'Highlander' override. WotC uses a different backend so the Highlander has to be updated. Which means the fun stuff like LW2 and Idle Suppression will crash on startup until that happens

I mean, you can still play it if you just launch the old executable.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
For anybody who has experiencing longer and longer slowdowns and is using AML, try cleaning out its mod directories in Settings. I was wondering why startup times had reached the 5 minute mark, and I found out AML had bugged out and registered the steamapps mod folder thirty times. (So I think that made the game load my 200+ mods...well, thirty times.)

After pruning it back to just once, the game was back to its fast loading times.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I wish there was a lost miniboss.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i know i'm pretty far behind the curve but i'm playing xcom2 now that i've finally finished xcom and i'm just getting my rear end beat in a huge way.

missions are mostly okay, as long as it's nothing above moderate difficulty, but the overworld is the real issue. i know i need to get a squad size increase, i've just now unlocked mag/gauss weaponry. however, i've been scrambling to get my network wider so i can actually hit an avatar site. the closest one was two continents away. now that i've made it to that point, there is definitely no way i can win this mission, and i'm only three ticks on the avatar track from losing.

i'm okay with starting over if i have to, but what should i do differently? at what point in the tech tree am i good to go for black site missions in general?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If you've recruited a reaper, all you need to take a blacksite are some pants. Or booty shorts.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Somberbrero posted:

i know i'm pretty far behind the curve but i'm playing xcom2 now that i've finally finished xcom and i'm just getting my rear end beat in a huge way.

missions are mostly okay, as long as it's nothing above moderate difficulty, but the overworld is the real issue. i know i need to get a squad size increase, i've just now unlocked mag/gauss weaponry. however, i've been scrambling to get my network wider so i can actually hit an avatar site. the closest one was two continents away. now that i've made it to that point, there is definitely no way i can win this mission, and i'm only three ticks on the avatar track from losing.

i'm okay with starting over if i have to, but what should i do differently? at what point in the tech tree am i good to go for black site missions in general?

only 3 ticks lol come back when you are 4 hours away from ultimate defeat

If you are struggling, start with GTS and only scan new regions once you research resistance comms. Do this until you run out of intel.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Three avatar pips can take hours or weeks to fill up. And when it does, you've got some time to knock it back down before game over.
I've never found Blacksites significantly harder than any given mission. Things get stronger at their set pace over time, and if you're keeping up you should be good to take a Site whenever you've got the soldiers and time.

My building order goes: GTS and Resistance Ring, for the all-important squad size upgrades and steady flow of neat stuff the Ring gets you.
After that, Infirmary, Training Center and Proving Grounds, in whatever order pleases you. Infirmary to keep soldiers fighting, TC to make them better fighters, and PG to get cool gear.
Power and Resistance Comms as necessary, supplementing with Ring and scan site rewards. Try to contact as many regions with blacksites as you can, even if you're not going to blow it up right away.

Put your Shadow Chamber and Psi Lab on exposed power coils if at all possible.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any reason why the game, even in stuff like the screen where you equip your soldiers (not to mention the actual tactical layer), makes my computer use like 70% of the CPU and the fans go loud as gently caress? Or is it just here? I tried lowering the graphic settings but no luck.

My specs are: i5-3570, 16GB of RAM, GTX 1060.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 11, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is there any reason why the game, even in stuff like the screen where you equip your soldiers (not to mention the actual tactical layer), makes my computer use like 70% of the CPU and the fans go loud as gently caress? Or is it just here? I tried lowering the graphic settings but no luck.

My specs are: i5-3570, 16GB of RAM, GTX 1060.

It's not the most optimized program unfortunately.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
First mission, my dude gets a negative trait "Xenophobia" - "chance to panic when a Sectoid is nearby" (this character is a Ranger)

You're scared of aliens, huh? You're loving fired, buddy

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

First, get squad size asap. If you have mag weapons before squad size, that's really wrong.

Do the blacksite really early. The longer you wait, the stronger the enemies get, and that's a tricky mission already without having to deal with stronger enemies on top of it. I always end up doing blacksite before I'm out of ballistic weapons.

If you can spare the research, radio relays will increase your income and make spreading your network easier in the long run.

Purchase and play War of the Chosen. It is better than vanilla in every way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Purchase and play War of the Chosen. It is better than vanilla in every way.

I bet but I am super duper poor at the moment.

Thanks everyone! Also I was mistaken, the Avatar clock is two from midnight.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Somberbrero posted:

I bet but I am super duper poor at the moment.

Thanks everyone! Also I was mistaken, the Avatar clock is two from midnight.
It's not an instant game over when it maxes out and destroying an alien facility will remove any pips that facility had towards it so you can get it back down to manageable levels.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

"Fear of missed shots."

Game now you're just taking the piss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That's probably the most rational fear to have. I'd panic too if I went to flank a muton, missed, and now its ready to come punch me in the face.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It's also one of the least bad fears, it's way worse to have someone panic when a pod reveals themselves rather than after they're done their actions for the turn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Around when should I stop letting the Warlock extract knowledge and leave on Legendary here? He shows up way more often on Legendary than Commander, but trying to fight him this early leads to a mind control and a grenade. His weaknesses are high ground and skirmishers so if I can get my skirmisher some AP rounds or something in the PG that'd help, but he's immune to melee so most of what I usually do is out (and I can't just get lost to dunk him again as a result).

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Fears seem really weird; sometimes your characters roll fears that make perfect sense, other times it seems really random. I seem to recall a Facility Lead one game that went south in a battle with Snakedick; two guys developed a fear of vipers, and one developed a fear of.... the Chosen? What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Backhand posted:

Fears seem really weird; sometimes your characters roll fears that make perfect sense, other times it seems really random. I seem to recall a Facility Lead one game that went south in a battle with Snakedick; two guys developed a fear of vipers, and one developed a fear of.... the Chosen? What the hell?

"Well if some snakes were bad, how bad must THE ELDERS GREATEST CHAMPION be?! "