Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Even so, you'd think the bit where two of the main characters get roided up and beat the poo poo out of a nazi would tip them off

they will convince themselves that the nazi represented liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Its not, but people love to misinterpret things when it makes them feel better about themselves.

Rick is a bad man, and a tragic character. He hates himself and the rest of the world. The only thing he cares for is the family that he pushes away. "Wubba lubba dub-dub", his wacky trademark catchphrase, translated from an alien language means "I am in great pain. Please help me." In one episode he gets wasted and kills himself because he is so miserable over loving his life up.

And yet folks somehow worship Rick as a nerd power fantasy.

Its like how a pro-war Republican can play "Born in the USA" during a campaign rally.

It's amazing how it just keeps on happening. Over and over and over still.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
lovely Hot take, get your lovely hot takes he-are!

List of things I am not allowed to buy because I am FAKE, LAZY HIPSTER FAN:

- Anything discontinued before 1995 or that wasn't available where I lived.
- Any Nintendo retread, such as the newly released SNES.
- Any other console that's been discontinued, because I never owned one when it was in production.
- Any memorabilia from the following fandoms: Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, He-man, anything to do with comic books, Transformers, X-men, Terminator, Street Fighter, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, StarFox, DOOM, Quake. Anything from Lord of the Rings, because that was written in 1937, anything HP Lovecraft related, Warhammer etc.

basically;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2aqt_BUV0

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm assuming these people are all 20 something and their media consumption constitutes a large part of their self perceived identity ?

Yeah. I'd posit that they should be better at it by now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Torchlighter posted:

lovely Hot take, get your lovely hot takes he-are!

List of things I am not allowed to buy because I am FAKE, LAZY HIPSTER FAN:

- Anything discontinued before 1995 or that wasn't available where I lived.
- Any Nintendo retread, such as the newly released SNES.
- Any other console that's been discontinued, because I never owned one when it was in production.
- Any memorabilia from the following fandoms: Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, He-man, anything to do with comic books, Transformers, X-men, Terminator, Street Fighter, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, StarFox, DOOM, Quake. Anything from Lord of the Rings, because that was written in 1937, anything HP Lovecraft related, Warhammer etc.

basically;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2aqt_BUV0

If Szechuan Sauce is a legacy burned into pop culture forever, why did I never hear of it until Rick & Morty turned it into a meme? I was actually at the age where I ate McDonalds instead of real food when it came out (6), so you'd think I would have some kind of memory of it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't have much McNostalgia because KFC is my thing, so IS the Szechuan Sauce that special? Are the cheap type you can buy at other stores that different?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

do groups like "Housekeeping 101" make bonkers-rear end posts like this for the explicit purpose of being shared by people who want to take a passive-aggressive public swipe at their spouses?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

toanoradian posted:

I don't have much McNostalgia because KFC is my thing, so IS the Szechuan Sauce that special? Are the cheap type you can buy at other stores that different?

It's basically barbecue sauce with some ground red pepper mixed in.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

there wolf posted:

The real problem with touching the poop is that you start earnestly and then realize that you've wasted your time. Should have asked her why she hates our veterans so much and enjoyed the ride.

loving hell I have people that know her still sending me messages that she is a good person and that I am horrible person for suggesting otherwise. I think she even called my mom. God drat small towns.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

IamnotJoe posted:

loving hell I have people that know her still sending me messages that she is a good person and that I am horrible person for suggesting otherwise. I think she even called my mom. God drat small towns.

Why are they so invested in defending her? Why doesn't the fact that you told her you were actually homeless for a while seem to have any credibility with anyone? Would she make the same assumptions about you had she run into you while you were homeless, that she makes about other homeless people as well?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

toanoradian posted:

I don't have much McNostalgia because KFC is my thing, so IS the Szechuan Sauce that special?

I think it's retroactive nostalgia. The R&M guys wrote a script thought it would be funny for Rick to go nuts over some little-remembered nugget sauce, and dorks said "oh yeah I totally remember that and am just like Rick (a super genius who does what he wants and takes no poo poo!) ergo I'm really into getting some of this sauce!"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think it's retroactive nostalgia. The R&M guys wrote a script thought it would be funny for Rick to go nuts over some little-remembered nugget sauce, and dorks said "oh yeah I totally remember that and am just like Rick (a super genius who does what he wants and takes no poo poo!) ergo I'm really into getting some of this sauce!"

Are there really fans of this show that think they are just like Rick? I mean don't get me wrong, I love the show, but I don't compare myself to a cartoon character...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RCarr posted:

Are there really fans of this show that think they are just like Rick? I mean don't get me wrong, I love the show, but I don't compare myself to a cartoon character...

I don't have a proper example on hand, but I've seen enough to say "Yes, absolutely"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"I'm totes n'stalgwise for this sick nug sauce I loved as a child." said 90% of people who weren't even born yet when Mulan came out.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I ate the sezchuan sauce as a kid once. I don't remember anything about it. That's my story.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I've read screeds about how the Ricks of the world will subjugate the Jerrys and Mortys.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I mean, I love Mulan, but it's not such a culture-defining work that a McD promotional condiment somehow has a cultural status, anyway. Or is Mulan more popular than I thought? When I think of "Disney's Greatest" I think of Aladdin or Lion King first.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I mean, I love Mulan, but it's not such a culture-defining work that a McD promotional condiment somehow has a cultural status, anyway. Or is Mulan more popular than I thought? When I think of "Disney's Greatest" I think of Aladdin or Lion King first.

I guarantee 99% of the people who NEED this sauce didn't know it ever existed until that Rick and Morty episode.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Two Beans posted:

I've read screeds about how the Ricks of the world will subjugate the Jerrys and Mortys.

Everyone who thinks they're a Rick is definitely a Jerry.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The only cool thing about the Mulan promo was getting nuggets in a chinese take out box.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Slime posted:

Everyone who thinks they're a Rick is definitely a Jerry.

Worse, they're the "My Man!" guy in Jerry's simulation. They're just idiots parroting something someone barely trying told them to say.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Panfilo posted:

Why are they so invested in defending her? Why doesn't the fact that you told her you were actually homeless for a while seem to have any credibility with anyone? Would she make the same assumptions about you had she run into you while you were homeless, that she makes about other homeless people as well?

It's a hosed up attitude. She is in Odessa TX which is the most hosed up Republican town that goes through booms and then busts. The whole town is designed to leech off of the boom and pack up when the bust happens. No one invests in infrastructure and nothing gets put aside for the poor. The whole place is littered with half built McMansions and being poor is a loving sin. The fact that i would defend those "loving lazy rear end homeless bums" means that I am a loser too and that I am attacking her.

This isn't on Facebook anymore I am getting texts and phone calls. Setting up a block list. gently caress West Texas. gently caress small towns.

RCarr posted:

Rick is a monster. An uncaring, unfeeling psychopath who fucks poo poo up and then leaves because people don't matter to him. He is elder god terrible and all those around him suffer. It's the nerd equivalent of people who think D-Fens is the hero of Falling Down, or Walter White is the hero of Breaking Bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chitoryu12 posted:

If Szechuan Sauce is a legacy burned into pop culture forever, why did I never hear of it until Rick & Morty turned it into a meme? I was actually at the age where I ate McDonalds instead of real food when it came out (6), so you'd think I would have some kind of memory of it.

I remember the Mulan promotion distinctly, but that's because my friend went into McDonalds when he was really really high and ordered like $80 worth of food just for himself, including a Mulan family pack, in a display of how good he is at ordering.

e. in my day we got high and went into fast food restaurants all paranoid of being noticed and did everything to show how good of customers we were, none of this jumpin up on counters nonsense! :bahgawd:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RCarr posted:

You're basically asking "are there maladjusred people on the internet?"

The answer is obviously yes

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CommonShore posted:

my friend went into McDonalds when he was really really high and ordered like $80 worth of food just for himself, including a Mulan family pack, in a display of how good he is at ordering.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How did so-called "nerd culture" get to be such a corporate identity that lovely fast food sauce became some sort of iconic item? How much of a broken manchild do you have to be to give a poo poo about something like that?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Slime posted:

they will convince themselves that the nazi represented liberals

It's just a witch hunt.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

RCarr posted:

Are there really fans of this show that think they are just like Rick? I mean don't get me wrong, I love the show, but I don't compare myself to a cartoon character...[1]

[1] see "brony", Manchildren, The Internet of Idiots, 2010-ish

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

RCarr posted:

They're the same people who read Atlas Shrugged and imagine themselves to be John Galt

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RCarr posted:

You tell me.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/916528646902439936

The replys are great.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"We value free speech"

"I will remove problematic people"

The lack of self-awareness is amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Just in case you thought that Pence's thing on Sunday wasn't a political stunt, here's a shameless cash-grab that came across my feed since so many of my friends like the Trump page.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

"We value free speech"

"I will remove problematic people"

The lack of self-awareness is amazing.

Well, duh, you're free to speak about anything they agree with, what more could you want?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I remember the Mulan promotion distinctly, but that's because my friend went into McDonalds when he was really really high and ordered like $80 worth of food just for himself, including a Mulan family pack, in a display of how good he is at ordering.

e. in my day we got high and went into fast food restaurants all paranoid of being noticed and did everything to show how good of customers we were, none of this jumpin up on counters nonsense! :bahgawd:
woah how is that even possible....wouldn't 80 dollars of McDonalds be like...how many loving bags is that? could you even physically carry it out?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

"He looks like a sentient Yelp review."

:drat:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel like "taxes are theft" and "the usa is the best country ever" are hard to reconcile if you think about it for two seconds. Now obviously this living stock photo for "my daughter is dating a black guy and I'm pissed" didn't think about it at all, but still

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Scratch Monkey posted:

They're the same people who read Atlas Shrugged and imagine themselves to be John Galt

Except John Galt is supposed to be the ubermensch hero. That or Rand played the longest con.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's the worst poem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Someone pointed out that there was a spot on his shirt.