Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

The only thing I can knock The Visitor for in the shadow of Inner Light is that the star of the episode isn’t a regular cast member but I can hardly fault them for not putting Cirroc in old man make up. And Tony Todd is always welcome.

Oh yeah, he's the absolute anchor of that story. And to be fair, Cirroc does very well with his few scenes.

Jake Sisko in general is a really underrated character, even among the other underrated DS9 characters, and Lofton always nailed his scenes with Brooks and Nog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Years later, when a bigtime auction house in New York held an auction for all the old Star Trek studio stuff (thousands of items, including the actual models used in the movies and TV shows), Patrick Stewart was interviewed about it, and he was asked that if he would have bid on any of the items, which of them would he have bid on.

First thing out of his mouth was the flute from The Inner Light.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eujM5uoo-l0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdF0YcNpS7s

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Inner Light. Picard's head whip before he loses consciousness is amazing.

Yess, my favorite episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Gonz posted:

Years later, when a bigtime auction house in New York held an auction for all the old Star Trek studio stuff (thousands of items, including the actual models used in the movies and TV shows), Patrick Stewart was interviewed about it, and he was asked that if he would have bid on any of the items, which of them would he have bid on.

First thing out of his mouth was the flute from The Inner Light.

Wasn't the second thing out of his mouth that the flute didn't even work?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sir Lemming posted:

It's actually the origin story of the bat'leth, which was invented as a way to do air quotes so you can tell when a Klingon is being sarcastic.

I don't know about y'all, but that's my headcanon now.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The real answer is that all Star Trek should use the Wrath of Khan thru Undiscovered Country uniforms and tech aesthetic.

Because those were actually the best.

Well yeah, but technically each series visualizes actual 23rd or 24th century technology as best they can. So WoK is "merely" the best interpretation so far. Every new series gets to try their hand at it (and if they fail in the concept art stage, yeah, go with WoK down the line).

It just got... smoky in here... must be the wildfires up North. Yeah.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sad we didn't see more Connie Refit/Excelsior 'let's get include some Art Deco flair on this shiz'.

I enjoyed Dax in Trials and Tribble-ations loving on her TOS tricorder with platinum highlights and faux-leather finish.

Basically, it's great when eras actually have distinct style that's more than just whatever was 'high-tech' when the series was made. High tech ages much worse.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 10, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mountaineer posted:

Speaking of Voyager, I recently watched that episode where Kes gets her mind possessed by some deposed king alien who can transfer his consciousness into people to escape death. Lots of fun acting from Jennifer Lien as she chews the scenery playing an evil overlord character. It really made me think it's a shame she spends the rest of the show being little more than Neelix's soft-spoken waifu.

...wait, didn't DS9 do that episode with Bashir just a few years prior?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's basically a reboot that's afraid to out-and-out say it's a reboot.

It's interesting how both Discovery and 2009 were unwilling to fully break from previous Trek and say "we're starting over, this is completely new, nothing that happened before should be taken for granted in this show" - even 2009, for whatever reason*, felt that it needed to be derived from the events of old Trek and not just be its own story.

*okay okay the real reason is to cash in on Leonard Nimoy cameos

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

I'm sad we didn't see more Connie Refit/Excelsior 'let's get include some Art Deco flair on this shiz'.

It's an aesthetic that doesn't seem like it's ever going to get a revival and that bums me out a little.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...wait, didn't DS9 do that episode with Bashir just a few years prior?

Voyager, at least, did it better, since Jennifer Lien chose not to do a goofy voice while possessed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

So we have the gritty edgelord neo-Trek, the goofy fun callback Trek... we need a Dry Trek.

In Dry Trek (which I personally would watch the poo poo out of) the starship crew is literally a science vessel, like no-poo poo science. There will be long scenes of laboratory work with xenobiological specimens, excavations of ruined cities on alien worlds, drilling mineral samples, etc. The holodeck will be used mainly for long, nuanced simulations, which will be shown in detail and in various permutations. Minutes will pass with nothing but stirring classical music over slowly-rotating topography, stellar phenomena, starships and alien architecture. Conflict will only be personal conflict between respectful and respected academic peers, and will often be mediated through full-length moderated debates, with points of order recognized and fact-checking during breaks. Alien contact will follow standard diplomatic protocol, with long scenes of xenolinguists tossing back-and-forth suggestions for best translations of alien vernacular beforehand, and then tedious diplomat balls with small talk and discussing possibilities for making future arrangements for trade meetings.

How about Sector General as a trek series? Medical drama but sometimes the patients have sulphur for blood?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

In addition to being beholded to 20 seasons of TV shows from the 90s, a lot of the stuff Voyager dragged in would probably kind of harm storytelling. "Why don't we just have holographic away teams, why don't we just use the Slipstream drive," etc. It would probably be less bad now.

Eh you just ignore whatever you don't like. TNG pretended a ton of stuff from the original series and from its own early seasons never happened.

Remember subcutaneous transponders and TNG's subcutaneous communicators?

Or that even a Constitution class has enough firepower to destroy a planet?

Or there's an easy-to-make shot that gives you psi powers.

Or you can set the ship's phasers on stun

Or Vulcans can remotely hypnotize people even if they're in a different room

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of crazy poo poo.

Oh! There's a chemical that makes you superfast and completely invisible

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The 29th Century mobile emitter that Voyager gets is starting to bug me.

We've already found out there's a whole future 29th Century time cop squad that looks for fuckups in the timeline and fixes them so they don't change the future right? They put Voyager back in the Delta Quadrant after Janeway keeps a 1994 Silicon Valley tech bro from destroying the future with 29th Century technology...but then why do they let Voyager keep the mobile emitter.

Maybe they didn't notice and it wasn't that important. Okay maybe, but it has already saved the ship at least once. So shouldn't the 29th Century people notice that, especially given the huge effects Voyager starts having on the galaxy?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's presumably some changes to the timeline that are 'supposed' to happen, and the timecops won't correct. Like Sela's existence or saving the whales and Earth in Star Trek IV. The Time squad's records indicate Voyager's meant to have a future holo-emitter, so they let it slide.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Inner Light always chokes me up, but The Visitor always draws a tear

Treks each have a standout emotional masterpece: City on the Edge of Forever, The Inner Light, The Visitor, [empty], [empty].

They also all feature a character in an unfamiliar situation adrift in time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MikeJF posted:

Treks each have a standout emotional masterpece: City on the Edge of Forever, The Inner Light, The Visitor, [empty], [empty].

They also all feature a character in an unfamiliar situation adrift in time.

I really do think Meld should be voyager's selection

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Eh you just ignore whatever you don't like. TNG pretended a ton of stuff from the original series and from its own early seasons never happened.

Remember subcutaneous transponders and TNG's subcutaneous communicators?

Or that even a Constitution class has enough firepower to destroy a planet?

Or there's an easy-to-make shot that gives you psi powers.

Or you can set the ship's phasers on stun

Or Vulcans can remotely hypnotize people even if they're in a different room

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of crazy poo poo.

Oh! There's a chemical that makes you superfast and completely invisible
#4 here rules, though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Most starships with phasers could destroy continents back in TOS. Not immediately maybe, but certainly given a little time. Which is why most superweapons bore me in Star Trek, since they could just as easily be replaced with a bunch of high yield torpedoes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Maybe we’ll get to see General Order 24 depicted on Discovery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

Maybe we’ll get to see General Order 24 depicted on Discovery.

More likely Order 66

But I remain hopeful :unsmith:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When that joint Cardassian-Romulan fleet attacked the Founder's homeworld, they destroyed like 30% of the planet's crust in one volley. I think they estimated they'd be down to the mantle after a few volleys.

That's the only time I think we've actually seen the power of those weapons depicted in that way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Most starships with phasers could destroy continents back in TOS. Not immediately maybe, but certainly given a little time. Which is why most superweapons bore me in Star Trek, since they could just as easily be replaced with a bunch of high yield torpedoes.

Yeah. Good superweapons in Trek are ones that can't be stopped by destroying the incoming ship.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

VitalSigns posted:

The 29th Century mobile emitter that Voyager gets is starting to bug me.

We've already found out there's a whole future 29th Century time cop squad that looks for fuckups in the timeline and fixes them so they don't change the future right? They put Voyager back in the Delta Quadrant after Janeway keeps a 1994 Silicon Valley tech bro from destroying the future with 29th Century technology...but then why do they let Voyager keep the mobile emitter.

Maybe they didn't notice and it wasn't that important. Okay maybe, but it has already saved the ship at least once. So shouldn't the 29th Century people notice that, especially given the huge effects Voyager starts having on the galaxy?

Maybe they let him keep it on humanitarian grounds? I kind of like the idea that they won't fix the timeline if it's a civil rights issue of some kind. "Well, technically this slave was supposed to be lynched for trying to escape, but I'm just going to watch him beat his master to death and then get away."

Edit: Had Voyager managed to mass produce them, the time cops probably would have intervened though.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 10, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Once you are able produce large quantities of antimatter, pretty much every other weapon becomes quaint.

1 gram of antimatter reacting with one gram of matter would have over twice the yield of of Little Boy.

100 lbs of antimatter would produce an explosion of 1,952 megatons.

If you wanted to replicate the complete destruction of a planet like the the death star (rather than glass the surface), you need a bit more. 45,000,000 lbs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow B'elanna found out the Doctor is playing The Sims, so she kills his sims-daughter.

drat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Star trek episodes sound utterly bonkers when described in a sentence :allears:

I just got done watching "A needy program wants O'Brien's attention while Laxwana catches Odo as he melts in an elevator"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“VitalSigns”" post="“477238123”"]
Wow B’elanna found out the Doctor is playing The Sims, so she kills his sims-daughter.

drat.
[/quote]
B'Elanna's one character trait is that she is a dick

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Just wanted to talk about Inner Light a bit. I'm sure people have said this before but it's an amazing episode in that it's one of the few episodes I think you point to when you're trying to actually explain what Trek is- it both requires none of the tropes or dressings of Trek, but is also so clearly a Trek story you almost cannot imagine another show doing it.

Like on the one hand- you don't need to know about warp drives or phasers or vulcans or the Federation. In theory the episode didn't even need to take place in space. The 'magic scanning beam' is just the simplest conceit to get you a cause-and-effect from the device to Picard's experience. Basically the only thing you need to know beforehand is that the characters are explorers.

But then on top of that, this is a story that is so devoid of any typical dramatic storytelling tools that I cannot imagine another show doing it. There aren't any stakes and no risk. The rest of the crew are doing stuff trying to figure out what's going on with Picard, but as a viewer I don't think you're ever really concerned with it. Really they're just there to provide interludes to break up Picard's story. There's no mystery- the reveal that Kataan died 1000 years ago isn't so much solving a mystery as the thing that comes at the end to give you context about why you were supposed to care about this story. In the end it's just scenes of an alien life- and even then those scenes are incredibly simple. There's nothing about the Kataans that doesn't come off as utterly human and kind of banal. And through all of that nothingness it's an amazing episode.

Sure no small part of that is Stewart just being a great actor- but also the story's message is so powerful that trying to toy with it dramatically would weaken it. Isn't it sad that one day we might all be gone and nobody to remember us? Not just individually but as a civilization? I honestly don't think there's been another tv show that is set up to try and do a story like that. But you accept it with Trek because it's a show about exploration. Trek characters are curious. They are principled. These are their central traits- even more than their skills or backstory or relationships. And even in the dark conflicted world of DS9 that was true of basically every character still. And if you have characters that are that straightforward, you can tell a story like this, even in the very middlebrow world of TV.

Anyways I spent like an hour last night thinking about that before I fell asleep.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Once you are able produce large quantities of antimatter, pretty much every other weapon becomes quaint.

1 gram of antimatter reacting with one gram of matter would have over twice the yield of of Little Boy.

100 lbs of antimatter would produce an explosion of 1,952 megatons.

If you wanted to replicate the complete destruction of a planet like the the death star (rather than glass the surface), you need a bit more. 45,000,000 lbs.

Well why not just glass the surface, what's the point of breaking it? Militarily I mean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How else can you establish you are evil?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

evilmiera posted:

Another interesting difference between TOS and TNG is that the original Enterprise could take a lot of abuse. In A Taste of Armageddon, the Enterprise was being bombarded by Eminiar VII's death rays and was barely affected by it. In TNG, the Enterprise-D would lose its shields after taking a couple of hits from an enemy ship. I think Voyager was even worse for that than TNG.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Firebert posted:

I really don't want Cpt. Worf or the loving Khan series that Meyer is allegedly doing :psyduck:

Wait... Meyer is doing a Khan series?

Noooo.... just no.

Look guys, I know, Wrath of Khan is one of the best Star Trek movies, but just let it go. There's things in Star Trek beyond Khan and Klingons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Well why not just glass the surface, what's the point of breaking it? Militarily I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2zB8bLSpk&t=25s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DS9 did have the single space station, once properly equipped, able to literally fight off an entire fleet on its lonesome, and the Defiant being a juggernaut that only went down to overwhelming odds and/or incompetence.

I still like that show has a Vorta basically say that engineering is Starfleet's biggest strength, and that makes a lot of sense given how Starfleet technology and tactics are portrayed throughout the show. (and the Dominion's biological weapons are its counterpart; having factories that can pump out super-soldiers and clone your key staff is probably a big strength)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Inescapable Duck posted:

DS9 did have the single space station, once properly equipped, able to literally fight off an entire fleet on its lonesome, and the Defiant being a juggernaut that only went down to overwhelming odds and/or incompetence.

Defiant took heavy abuse, but it was largely able to do so by channeling phaser blasts into bridge pyrotechnics; it was always somewhat silly on DS9, but it reached peak absurdity in the series finale when the shields were still fine (as I recall), yet O'Brien was somehow so badly injured at his station on the bridge that he had to be taken to sickbay.

Voyager also really overused the exploding bridge panels and plasma conduits in the hallways. I think people forget that this was pretty rare in TNG, and usually only happened when the ship was really getting the poo poo kicked out of it, and even then there were times when it'd be "if we get hit again we're hosed" and there wouldn't have been so much as a sparkler going off on the bridge.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I like the contrast that both the Federation and the Dominion, on opposite sides of a moral continuum, are both apparently hamstrung by their idealogy. Obviously the Federation have issues since they focus on peace and love and all that jazz, so it takes a while for their tech ability to be leveraged. But the Dominion are just as hosed by being evil autocrats, because they're reliant on holding planets they can produce the drugs their soldiers have been made to be addicted to, and dicking over the Cardassians blows up in their faces.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am finally getting around to watching TNG. I don't have a whole lot to say other than it is very good and I can't believe they exploded a dude's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Defiant took heavy abuse, but it was largely able to do so by channeling phaser blasts into bridge pyrotechnics; it was always somewhat silly on DS9, but it reached peak absurdity in the series finale when the shields were still fine (as I recall), yet O'Brien was somehow so badly injured at his station on the bridge that he had to be taken to sickbay.

Voyager also really overused the exploding bridge panels and plasma conduits in the hallways. I think people forget that this was pretty rare in TNG, and usually only happened when the ship was really getting the poo poo kicked out of it, and even then there were times when it'd be "if we get hit again we're hosed" and there wouldn't have been so much as a sparkler going off on the bridge.

The Defiant specifically had heavy physical armour plating in addition to strong shields, iirc. It's basically a Constitution class with everything not meant for wrecking poo poo stripped out and replaced with defenses.