Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

IRQ posted:

How do you feel about Priuses?

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

10k CAN is roughly 8k US, so I'll work from that.

If you want low maintenance, high gas mileage, and don't care how it drives, get a Prius ca. 2009 vintage. A Mazda 3 is about the same on maintenance, somewhat lower gas mileage, and generally great fun to drive. Those are the top two this thread generally recommends.

There's actually a ton of cars that would work for you. It would be worth your time to learn the market a bit and figure out what you really prefer in terms of drivability, body style, options, comfort, and gadgetry. The number of choices is a bit overwhelming, but you're going to spend a lot of money on and time in this car so it will pay off. Grabbing something quick to get it over with that you end up hating in three months is rather depressing.

Kias were garbage prior to about 2005, but have gotten a lot better in the last decade or so, as an aside. Don't be scared off if you find you really like one.

Holy poo poo, both the prius and the Mazda 3 look like great options for me.

Searching within 500 km yields zero Prius, but several promising options for Mazda 3's.

Thank you so much for the help. I've been planning this buy for a while so I am definitely going to take my time and test drive a lot and make sure I get a car that's comfortable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No Priuses at all? That's strange, unless you're in like the northwest territories or something.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Wrong thread.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Are there certain years I should be avoiding in a used Mazda3?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Russian Remoulade posted:

Are there certain years I should be avoiding in a used Mazda3?

No, but look carefully for rust. You don't want to buy a rusty one.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

rngd in the womb posted:

just saw the pics of the Minis. Yikes! I was already leaning towards a Prius and Civic anyways, so my feelings are reinforced now. Although Imprezas still seems attractive to me. Back to research!

edit: Does the thread have a consensus on hail damaged cars? All of these cars in my area seem to have a tendency for ridiculously low mileages for their prices, so if hail damage only means cosmetic damage at most, I'd definitely check them out.

There were a bunch of '17 model year Subarus at Subaru of Plano in north DFW that were marked down massively due to hail damage back last spring. Think of it this way - that WRX that's marked down 10k because of massive hail damage? That means that there's way more than 10k in repairs to be done, otherwise the dealer isn't making money on the deal.

If you're ok with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgZsWH8p30 then go ahead and buy. (edit: I know that's a Mitsu dealer, but it's from the same storm that rolled through).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Twerk from Home posted:

No, but look carefully for rust. You don't want to buy a rusty one.

Not sure about Mazdas in particular, but look inside the doors at the bottom. My CR-V looks decent on the outside but the inside of the driver's door at the bottom is an area of concern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I ended up finding two Mazda 3 options that were pretty close.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2010-mazda-mazda3-gx/1269810426
Has air con and cruise control

or: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2009-mazda-mazda3-gx/1256817231
no cruise control though :/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The cheaper one is a stick, not sure if that matters to you.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

The cheaper one is a stick, not sure if that matters to you.

I learned on a stick. But the lack of cruise control is probably a non-starter for me. I take a few 7 hour road trips every year.

Edit: Is it better to go through a dealership or can I buy off regular kijiji or local markets? Should I get cars inspected if I buy off a rando? If so, how?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 6, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mezzanon posted:

Edit: Is it better to go through a dealership or can I buy off regular kijiji or local markets? Should I get cars inspected if I buy off a rando? If so, how?

You should get all used cars inspected by a trusted mechanic. It is a Pre-purchase Inspection or PPI and is totally worth it. Mechanics can put the car on a lift and know more about frequent problems that type of car would have and look for those problems.

If the seller doesn't agree to one, walk away and don't come back because they are hiding something. As for finding a good mechanic in your area, you gotta ask around. I think Car Talk's website had a source for that, but that was a while ago and US focused.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 6, 2017

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Can someone explain how and why the Prius is the go to driving appliance? Whenever I defend its merits to other car dorks they always whinge that everything the Prius does the Corolla does better, and I'm not informed enough on modern economy cars to be able to refute it with cursory googling.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

Can someone explain how and why the Prius is the go to driving appliance? Whenever I defend its merits to other car dorks they always whinge that everything the Prius does the Corolla does better, and I'm not informed enough on modern economy cars to be able to refute it with cursory googling.

The Prius is lower maintenance and higher gas mileage than a Corolla. However, the Corolla will have better braking, acceleration, and handling than the Prius.

It's a matter of what you value. A Prius is a toaster on wheels. Some people prefer that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Better fuel economy, less maintenance required, possibly more reliable.

The Corolla might be better to drive but that's not what the Prius is about.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

No, as in they argue the Corolla gets same or better mileage and is cheaper to fix and run. The battery is the obvious point and I know that the price of the battery replacement has come down now that people can replace individual cells, I just want something hard I can point at to shut up Prius haters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Forums Terrorist posted:

No, as in they argue the Corolla gets same or better mileage and is cheaper to fix and run.

They are straight up full of poo poo, tell them to stop getting their auto facts from children on YouTube who really want to be Jeremy Clarkson

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

No, as in they argue the Corolla gets same or better mileage and is cheaper to fix and run. The battery is the obvious point and I know that the price of the battery replacement has come down now that people can replace individual cells, I just want something hard I can point at to shut up Prius haters.

The Corolla is rated 28/35 (C/H) and the Prius is 54/50, so they're full of it.

According to Edmunds' TCO estimator, a 2013 Corolla will cost about $119/mo total repair and maintenance, averaged over five years. A 2013 Prius will cost about 115/mo.

Consider the possibility that the people you're arguing with aren't very smart.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Forums Terrorist posted:

Basically, new car vs new car, the Prius is more expensive to buy but gets better mileage obviously and is also 1) a slightly larger car inside, closer to a Camry, and the hatchback form factor is more convenient and 2) the Prius for the same price comes with marginally more gadgets and whatnot, so the actual difference in price isn't quite as large as is reflected in the MSRP, but still, I would say it's a fair point that if all you want is cheap and you care about literally nothing else a new Prius isn't the best choice. I usually recommend VWs for people looking for the cheapest shittiest new car, especially if they don't do a lot of city driving, where the Prius' gas mileage really shines.

For used, the price differential in absolute terms comes down, the Prius is very reliable, still gets good gas mileage, and is what you should probably buy.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Consider the possibility that the people you're arguing with aren't very smart.

it's discord CAR GUYSSSS, so yes

That said, I really appreciate the info!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Prius consumes batteries at a slightly higher rate than the corolla consumes engines and transmissions. All wear items have a vastly longer life. I have a colleague who got 100k miles out of first fit brake pads.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do Toyota dealerships replace individual Prius battery cells?

I'm lucky enough to have a local shop that offers that service for cheap

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Deteriorata posted:

The Prius is lower maintenance and higher gas mileage than a Corolla. However, the Corolla will have better braking, acceleration, and handling than the Prius.

It's a matter of what you value. A Prius is a toaster on wheels. Some people prefer that.

A toaster on wheels sounds like a great idea to meet my nutritional needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Do Toyota dealerships replace individual Prius battery cells?

I'm lucky enough to have a local shop that offers that service for cheap

Highly doubtful. Dealerships treat major assemblies as single parts. They don't rebuild short blocks, heads, transmissions, or hybrid batteries. They remove it, replace it with a new one, and ship the old one back to be remanufactured.

And yes, it seems like about any decently sized area has at least one person rebuilding Prius batteries on their own. It's not hugely difficult to do, especially once you have a few defective packs to pull parts from.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Probably going to go pick up a 2017 GMC Sierra this weekend, taking advantage of their 0% financing deals going on right now. I'm getting roughly 20% off MSRP on one of the higher end models (SLT All Terrain, with the 6.2L engine). Is there any reason not to do this deal (aside from calling me crazy for spending almost $50k on a truck)? Any known issues with these trucks/engines? I was originally in the market for an F-150 but the deals on these GMCs are better and I'm not sure the F-150 is worth $5k+ more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Probably going to go pick up a 2017 GMC Sierra this weekend, taking advantage of their 0% financing deals going on right now. I'm getting roughly 20% off MSRP on one of the higher end models (SLT All Terrain, with the 6.2L engine). Is there any reason not to do this deal (aside from calling me crazy for spending almost $50k on a truck)? Any known issues with these trucks/engines? I was originally in the market for an F-150 but the deals on these GMCs are better and I'm not sure the F-150 is worth $5k+ more.

How much you get off of MSRP is not so important. What is important is how much other people are paying for the same truck.

Thus, hit up edmunds.com and kbb.com and check that poo poo out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Any known issues with these trucks/engines? I was originally in the market for an F-150 but the deals on these GMCs are better and I'm not sure the F-150 is worth $5k+ more.

I prefer fords for interior "this is where my arm goes", etc (I just don't like the door/center console layout of Chevy). But Ford/Chevy pissing matches make no sense. If you like it for the time you need to spend in it go to price. They are commodity items.

Totally agree with Thermopyle here...what matters is the deal.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do the GM's still have the "Vibration issues" that are now considered "normal" by GM? ............there is a huge thread on basically all the 2014+ having this "feature" (on a GM Trucks forum.)

Nov 6, 2002

I have failed you all and bought a 2018 Traverse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I have failed you all and bought a 2018 Traverse.

Congratulations on scooping up a worst in class vehicle!

(why did you do that? - theres nothing completely and totally wrong with them, but they are more expensive for a shittier product than basically everything else)

Nov 6, 2002

Motronic posted:

Congratulations on scooping up a worst in class vehicle!

(why did you do that? - theres nothing completely and totally wrong with them, but they are more expensive for a shittier product than basically everything else)

It boiled down to space and styling.

- The best in class options would be the Highlander or Pilot. The Highlander's interior felt really cramped. There's very little space in the 3rd row, a tiny space between the captain's chairs and basically no space in the trunk with the third row up. I hate everything about the Pilot's appearance, it looks like a bloated CRV. I actually much preferred the look of the 2015 and prior models.
- I was very interested in the Ford Flex. But it was very hard in my area to find any decent selection of trims. Also, my wife refused to be seen in it. Some people really hate this model.
- I don't like Ford Explorers, I have no idea why, the new ones aren't bad, it's just a thing with me.
- I looked at the Durango but I was not impressed with the engine or ride, and was not really keen on buying from FCA.
- Not interested in owning a VW, so no Atlas.
- Did not want a minivan.

So the Traverse hit the two things that I was looking for. It has the interior space feeling of a minivan, without being a full sized SUV like a Suburban or it's brethren, and the redesign of the exterior looks absolutely gorgeous, at least to me. I would not say the interior quality suffers from the typical GM problems of hard plastic and poor surfaces. Maybe due to the recent refresh? Compared to the other brands I checked out, it seemed very comparable. I realize that for the price I'm paying I'm not getting the same set of features (especially safety related) that would be standard with other brands, but I'm ok with that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 11, 2017

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the Traverse looks pretty nice. :saddowns:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Star Wars prequels look pretty nice, too. It's just pretty isn't the same thing as good.

I guess the Traverse is a reasonable choice for someone who basically wants a minivan without the self-inflicted stigma of owning a minivan :haw:

Nov 6, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Star Wars prequels look pretty nice, too. It's just pretty isn't the same thing as good.

I guess the Traverse is a reasonable choice for someone who basically wants a minivan without the self-inflicted stigma of owning a minivan :haw:

In this analogy which brand is jar jar?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The problem with the Traverse is that it looks like your average Chevy. Of course, beauty is pretty subjective, but to my eye the Chevy corporate "look" is so bland.

However, from a purely functional standpoint it seems like an OK vehicle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno all your complaints seem really specific and nitpicky, I wouldn't really buy a vehicle based on any of those criteria and I would just get a minivan so

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you need a minivan just get a minivan. No one's going to see you driving around a 3-row SUV with cheerios all over the seats and think "oh yeah, that guy is a rugged individualist."

Nov 6, 2002

I don't wanna pay to drive a car I hate. :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

prom candy posted:

If you need a minivan just get a minivan. No one's going to see you driving around a 3-row SUV with cheerios all over the seats and think "oh yeah, that guy is a rugged individualist."

Thermopyle posted:

People sometimes forget that for vehicles (really anything you buy) are not just about the utility they provide but about the emotions they cause you to have. There's nothing wrong with preferring an SUV over a minivan, particularly if you acknowledge what you're doing.

Often buying an SUV isn't about "fooling" other people into thinking you're cool and hip. Personally, I find SUV's much better looking (especially that classy as poo poo new CX-9) and with the right values for value-of-utility vs value-of-aesthetics I would purchase the SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Fair enough, I don't dislike minivans at all so maybe that's why I think it's so crazy to go out of your way to not buy one. If I had a couple of kids my rear end would be in an Odyssey so quick.