Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Volvo 200/700/900 series share roughly fuckall with the 850/V70/other later cars. The transmission in that 940 should be a stout but simple Aisin Warner four speed.

This is my understanding. Transmissions didn't get lovely until after the 940/740.

E. New page? Here is some content. Have a rando Fiat.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/classic-antique-fiat-spider/6307401197.html

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Goodness...

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-mercedes-benz-300/6338976296.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Corduroy seats.....those must be so comfy

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I had a 740 that killed 2 transmissions i dont know about the others but the 740 was definetly one of the bad models. I forget what failed but it would only go in reverse both times.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The RWD Volvos occasionally have fatal transmission problems (because they're all old and neglected) but they've got nothing on some of the cars they made from 1999 on. The T6 models with GM transmissions were basically guaranteed to fail and the 5-speed auto they used behind their 5-cylinder motors from 2001 forward had some serious teething troubles. Those two are almost certainly what Fo3 heard/read about but somehow they got mixed up on the timeframe.

I'm in love with that Benz wagon. :swoon:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

zundfolge posted:

The RWD Volvos occasionally have fatal transmission problems (because they're all old and neglected) but they've got nothing on some of the cars they made from 1999 on. The T6 models with GM transmissions were basically guaranteed to fail and the 5-speed auto they used behind their 5-cylinder motors from 2001 forward had some serious teething troubles. Those two are almost certainly what Fo3 heard/read about but somehow they got mixed up on the timeframe.

I'm in love with that Benz wagon. :swoon:

From what I remember from the Swedespeed forums when I had my S60R, the automatic or, "Geartronic" ones were so fragile they torque-limited them in at least the first couple of gears.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Ok so that Volvo was too new what about this one?

Aren't these the ones with the insane timing chain setup? With the guides that eat themselves?

And maybe the unicorniest of unicorns, a manual-swapped is300 Sportcross where the guy swapped the transmission to manual then went 'yeesh, ricers' and kept it all stock otherwise.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
All three of those are great, and sadly yes, that B6S4 avant will devour its own timing chain guides if it hasn't already.

edit: is there any reason why there is like a 10:1 salvage:clean title ratio with is300's?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

edit: is there any reason why there is like a 10:1 salvage:clean title ratio with is300's?
They are worthless now and get totaled in a fender-bender.

Super easy to work on, double wishbone suspension front and rear, parts are really cheap.

Downsides: poo poo gas mileage.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Actual gold? This is right down the road from my brother, I'm tempted to make him go buy it for me. It's about 6 hours from where I live. Emailed the seller asking about rust but I don't see it in the usual places. Would like some photos of the frame though.

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-jeep-grand-wagoneer/6325563505.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Wow, yeah that looks like half the price most in that condition go for. Probably would be able to move it for close to $7k in a more metropolitan area..

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Actual gold? This is right down the road from my brother, I'm tempted to make him go buy it for me. It's about 6 hours from where I live. Emailed the seller asking about rust but I don't see it in the usual places. Would like some photos of the frame though.

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-jeep-grand-wagoneer/6325563505.html
Actual gold.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

scuz posted:

Actual gold.

Still available and only two small rust holes on driver's rocker. FML lemme see what I can do, not sure if I can make the logistics work here

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Still available and only two small rust holes on driver's rocker. FML lemme see what I can do, not sure if I can make the logistics work here
Surely you've seen the ExplodingSims truck thread? Logistics are no obstacle here in Automotive Insanity. Get that Jeep!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

scuz posted:

Get that Jeep!

Seconded. My first Alaska vehicle was an '80 Cherokee Chief. I would love to get back into that platform again.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

scuz posted:

Surely you've seen the ExplodingSims truck thread? Logistics are no obstacle here in Automotive Insanity. Get that Jeep!

Oh I'm no stranger to Jeep related bad decisions haha. Gonna ask my bro if he can help me out here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
To add to the Wagoneer train, this is a decent price for one around here and it's double what Sandals posted

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think I read here the Jalopnik story about the guy who bought his dream Maserati and had it turn into a "money toilet". Well, it turns out that story has a happy ending: https://jalopnik.com/someone-fixed-that-poor-craigslisters-maserati-money-to-1819186921

The solution? Drive the hell out of it.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
The pinnacle of all Pontiac Sunbirds

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
May have convinced a co-worker to buy this hot item:

Told him I'd help him for free, of course.

wwwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOULD

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This is rad as hell. There is a young woman that drives around a mint condition purple Starfire around and while I'm sure they are lovely vehicles to live with in comparison to, well, most things the presence that it has is hard to beat. I know it sounds kinda goofy especially if you are older but these weird offshoot cars from the 70s and early 80s look unlike anything else.

This Samurai is for sale in town for 2 grand and the ad went up a couple hours ago. I'm hoping I get a response because I am so buying this tomorrow if I can.
Samurais are insane price-wise.

EDIT
To continue the weird cars

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 11, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

This Samurai is for sale in town for 2 grand and the ad went up a couple hours ago. I'm hoping I get a response because I am so buying this tomorrow if I can.

Funny, you forgot to post the link for that one......Bet I can find it tho :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Funny, you forgot to post the link for that one......Bet I can find it tho :getin:

:ninja:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

There was a Samurai for sale here for $2k that turned out to be a scam. I was SO READY to blast around all winter in a tintop.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Buy it asap, sell it to me for 3k and I'll do a fly-n-drive. Wife really wants one and all the ones under ~$4500 here are beat to poo poo garbage or full time trail rigs.

So after finally deciding I was going to keep the Courier and go through replacing everything worn out or messed up this thing pops up locally. "No rust" which may be true, 103k miles, 1.6? gas engine and 5 speed. I've wanted to get another since I let the one I had in 2009-12 go. Price is a little high but I see enough things I may be able to talk him down a bit.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-bmw-318i-convertible-e30/6324665420.html

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-vw-scirocco-karman/6333602033.html

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

It came from Facebook Marketplace

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mods!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PCOS Bill posted:

Wife says "You already have two Jeeps, why do you want a third?"

Wife doesn't get it.

My usual response to something like that is: you have two pairs of shoes, why do you need a third? Or purses. Generally gets the point across. And in your case, is likely cheaper.

WOULD.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy it asap, sell it to me for 3k and I'll do a fly-n-drive. Wife really wants one and all the ones under ~$4500 here are beat to poo poo garbage or full time trail rigs.

So after finally deciding I was going to keep the Courier and go through replacing everything worn out or messed up this thing pops up locally. "No rust" which may be true, 103k miles, 1.6? gas engine and 5 speed. I've wanted to get another since I let the one I had in 2009-12 go. Price is a little high but I see enough things I may be able to talk him down a bit.

It's a little thing, but I really NEED the rear vertical of that camper shell to match the angle of the rear of the cab.
Other than that? Perfect. I especially like the period cast meshies. I have a 1/24 scale Scirocco model that has the same wheels.

Aren't E30 prices supposed to be like, stupid? What I'm saying is: go buy it and flip it without effort.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Darchangel posted:

Aren't E30 prices supposed to be like, stupid? What I'm saying is: go buy it and flip it without effort.

Verts are less desirable and it's mostly E30 M3s that are skyrocketing in price. Regular E30s are just getting more rare and nicer ones are going for a prettier penny.

toastedyou55228
Jan 28, 2014
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-pickup/6310903001.html

Best part is in the third picture; pretty sweet camo duct tape dash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Take off one zero because there is no way those rockers aren't rotten cardboard and the 3VZ that will be under its hood will probably need headgaskets.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Fermented Tinal posted:

Take off one zero because there is no way those rockers aren't rotten cardboard and the 3VZ that will be under its hood will probably need headgaskets.

Then add the zero back because Toyota tax

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Who the hell optioned this X5?

Edit
Missed that Samurai.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Edit
Missed that Samurai.

“So this is Subaru’s luxury brand right?”

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Edit
Missed that Samurai.

How did you miss that, it seemed like you were right on top of it!

I bet there's probably Samurai people with search engine alerts and cash ready to go at a moments notice. If I had the loving time and space i would make a killing buying severely under priced cars and flipping them. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to be scanning CL every hour of the day that I'm awake and then dealing with flaky sellers and buyers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How did you miss that, it seemed like you were right on top of it!

I bet there's probably Samurai people with search engine alerts and cash ready to go at a moments notice. If I had the loving time and space i would make a killing buying severely under priced cars and flipping them. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to be scanning CL every hour of the day that I'm awake and then dealing with flaky sellers and buyers.

Just wasn't quick enough. One of those Craigslist things is all.
We'll get a Jimny soon enough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KakerMix posted:

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Probably the fact that they're advertising a BMW made in the last 30 years as having Power steering, brakes, windows etc. as a selling point.