Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I was playing WitE today but got fed up with the air interface so I started a new WitP campaign instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Phi, do you youtube or stream graviteam?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

uPen posted:

I was playing WitE today but got fed up with the air interface so I started a new WitP campaign instead.

Try WitW instead! :downs:

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tank Warfare Tunisia is 75% OFF on STEAM right now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gently caress yeah, Tank Warfare - I talked myself out of buying it not last night, so this is a sign from the LORD OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.

I am also far more excited for Shifting Sands than I was for Chains of War - its nice to have a war that isn't US vs Russia and/or China.

I feel like these are both very American sentences.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

Come listen to Phi, the Graviteam Evangelist, proselytize Graviteam games.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thestrategygamer/The_Strategy_Gamer_Podcast_Episode_5_Graviteam_Tactics.mp3

We will indeed be digusting Graviteam tactics today.

ps: I'll happily talk grog games with you if you need more on the list.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 9, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Def buying that tonight, I love me some Graviteam.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'll say this for Graviteam, they do at least try to put a bit of work into their UI between releases, unlike Battlefront.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

We will indeed be digusting Graviteam tactics today.

ps: I'll happily talk grog games with you if you need more on the list.

Awesome! Gotcha on the list.

Also, if anyone else finds the website to be unreadable please PM me or hit me up on Discord and let me know what the issues you're having are.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

loved the Graviteam episode, by the way - the game is my CURRENT jam (oddly, I've had better luck getting into Operation Star than I did straight into Mius Front), so it was nice to hear about it while I was playing.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So what's the difference between Operation Star and Mius Front? If I was going to take the plunge, what's the best place to start? Any must have DLC?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Unimpressed posted:

So what's the difference between Operation Star and Mius Front? If I was going to take the plunge, what's the best place to start? Any must have DLC?

Mius front is better in every way. No must have DLC

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I actually think Mius Front's UI was a step down, but enh, nobody else agrees. And the Angola and Afghanistan DLCs for Operation Star are necessary if you own it at all as far as I'm concerned.

Mius Front has no content, DLC or otherwise, that isn't somewhere in the Ukraine. At least OS has other theaters and conflicts in the DLC.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SABOW is a pro purchase too

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anything I should know to not regret taking advantage of the 75% sale on Tunisia?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

I actually think Mius Front's UI was a step down, but enh, nobody else agrees. And the Angola and Afghanistan DLCs for Operation Star are necessary if you own it at all as far as I'm concerned.

Mius Front has no content, DLC or otherwise, that isn't somewhere in the Ukraine. At least OS has other theaters and conflicts in the DLC.

I much prefer OS's interface to MF. You and I are a lonely little island unto ourselves. :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I see pros and cons to both. OSs is more communicative, while MFs is quicker to interface with. The radial would be a godsend for larger Combat Mission scenarios.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I see pros and cons to both. OSs is more communicative, while MFs is quicker to interface with. The radial would be a godsend for larger Combat Mission scenarios.

Oh hey, that's actually pretty on-point and I totally agree - that communication is what I miss, but I've also obviously gotten accustomed to moving fairly quickly through OS' interface so it's not quite the hindrance it used to be (and oh how I love that custom movement button that is, I'm sure in some non-enraging way, recreated in Mius Front).

The biggest downside to picking up OS over Mius-Front in my eyes is that development and patching of OS stopped sometime in 2015. There have been pretty big changes to AI and the engine/sim over time with MF's continued development, so it's a shame those aren't backported to OS. Understandable, but...still sad.

If you were paying full price for one, it's probably worth it to go for Mius Front. It's the first one I bought and it got me very interested in the games, it's still being patched, and it has a lot of fun in the basic package. But honestly? I think if I had to suggest something right now for the curious, it's get Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 + DLC while it's on mega-sale - I haven't dug into it, but from what I understand it's pretty much current-development Mius Front picked up and dropped into the African theater. And if you're not as big a fan of the Ukranian countryside as Graviteam is, it's a nice location change. The main game is mostly desert, but the DLC (also extremely cheap right now) is much more lush - and has Brits!

Operation Star is worth a buy, but will go on mega-sale fairly often - I picked it up a few weeks/a month ago now for under $20 after accounting for the DLC I wanted (which was all but two of them). Patience and a price notification from Cheap Shark will pay off there, and in the meantime you've got the newest game they sell done dirt cheap to hold you over.

Caveat: I have played Graviteam games for less than 3 months, am basically terrible at them, and most people who pick up OS after Mius Front apparently hold it at arm's length like it's a used condom, so...I'm probably objectively wrong.

Phi230 posted:

SABOW is a pro purchase too

How far off am I if I assume SABOW is tank-perspective control of what is otherwise a Graviteam Tactics tank platoon, in what is otherwise a Graviteam Tactics game?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 10, 2017

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Good podcast - just listened to the Command Ops show and it reminded me of facts like how great is Command Ops and I need to go play more Command Ops.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have a 14 year Matrix discount coupon thing for forty some odd percent off something. I see Field of Glory II comes out in a couple of days. Has anyone heard anything about the game? I see the guy who made Das Bellus Antiquitus and the tabletop version of Field of Glory is supposedly in charge of the new computer version.

I might try to use this discount on it unless something better is available.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yooper posted:

Come listen to Phi, the Graviteam Evangelist, proselytize Graviteam games.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thestrategygamer/The_Strategy_Gamer_Podcast_Episode_5_Graviteam_Tactics.mp3

Good podcast, convinced me to give Graviteam another shot.

Yooper your mic was a little quiet compared to your guests, just FYI, I had to turn up the volume whenever you'd start speaking.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Try WitW instead! :downs:
:downs:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

Good podcast, convinced me to give Graviteam another shot.

Yooper your mic was a little quiet compared to your guests, just FYI, I had to turn up the volume whenever you'd start speaking.

Sound stuff! :argh:

Thanks for the info man, that part is proving to be the most difficult to tune in. The software I use mixes and matches levels automatically, but I can tweak it. I had a random 4 minute pause in the Graviteam episode too, so had to edit that poo poo too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What are you using to record?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What are you using to record?

Hindenburg on my end. Audacity for the incoming stream. I do my post processing filtering in Audacity and all of the mixing in Hindenburg.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Please put an RSS feed on it please so I can listen to it on my phone with zero effort (I am lazy) thank you

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yooper posted:

Hindenburg on my end. Audacity for the incoming stream. I do my post processing filtering in Audacity and all of the mixing in Hindenburg.

Never heard of it :shrug: Sorry.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Please put an RSS feed on it please so I can listen to it on my phone with zero effort (I am lazy) thank you

It's on iTunes.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's on iTunes.

Cool, thanks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Started playing Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 last night, it's fun! My biggest problem with Graviteam games is the lack of simplified information. I was playing the defense tutorial where you get a couple of field guns to fend off an American attack with 3 tanks. Towards the end as the tanks were over running my positions my field guns just stopped shooting and I couldn't figure out why, they had LOS and there was at least 1 crewman manning the gun but they wouldn't fire. My guess is they had lost morale and were too terrified to shoot but I don't know how to easily get that information or if there is anything I can do.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Started playing Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 last night, it's fun! My biggest problem with Graviteam games is the lack of simplified information. I was playing the defense tutorial where you get a couple of field guns to fend off an American attack with 3 tanks. Towards the end as the tanks were over running my positions my field guns just stopped shooting and I couldn't figure out why, they had LOS and there was at least 1 crewman manning the gun but they wouldn't fire. My guess is they had lost morale and were too terrified to shoot but I don't know how to easily get that information or if there is anything I can do.

With only 1 crew on the gun they won't shoot because nobody us loading the gun

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

With only 1 crew on the gun they won't shoot because nobody us loading the gun

Yeah that makes sense too, though I don't know how to get that info in a concise way. The rest of the crew was either dead or laying on the ground taking cover and the gunner was just sitting there aiming and not firing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Yeah that makes sense too, though I don't know how to get that info in a concise way. The rest of the crew was either dead or laying on the ground taking cover and the gunner was just sitting there aiming and not firing.

Your gunner is trying to do the job but nobody is loading the gun. It's not behind the scenes, your loader must summon a shell from the ether and put it in the gun and close the breech

Depending on the skill and morale this poo poo will happen too. Sometimes they just can't see it even if it's in LOS. Graviteam AI are notoriously blind

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 10, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some icons indicating different states would be a huge QoL. Broken/knocked out as an icon above the unit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's no reason why the gunner can't get off his rear end, load a shell, and then resume sitting to fire. It just means it takes a long time and grog games have solved that problem 10+ years ago :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's no reason why the gunner can't get off his rear end, load a shell, and then resume sitting to fire. It just means it takes a long time and grog games have solved that problem 10+ years ago :colbert:

What would an RL gunner have done in this case anyway? I would imagine either do what he can or hunker down and protect the gun if he's not about to be overrun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

What would an RL gunner have done in this case anyway? I would imagine either do what he can or hunker down and protect the gun if he's not about to be overrun.

My best guess would be either:

1. Perform all the duties himself, if he is knowledgeable of them

2. Get the gently caress outta Doge

Most AT guns, or guns in general, didn't have much in terms of cover to provide its crews anyways.

Edit: Let's assume you're a member of a Pak 40 crew

Ignore the exact positioning of everyone, as 2 of the 4 members are acting as weights for the legs to help for the recoil.

You're the last survivor, with a few cases of ammo lying about, gun pointing towards the enemy.

You can't move the gun, not quickly or any semblance of ease. You can reload the gun, which isn't itself an overly complex function, but may not be the most accurate shooter of the now-mostly-dead crew. Any missed shot means another long reload.

Ok, you're out of ammo and you've got a Kar 98k and, say, 50 rounds of ammunition, a grenade or two, and you can probably salvage a pistol and/or ammo from your comrades. The gun shield is super short, requiring you to crouch down to not expose yourself. The gun shield is also forward-facing and offering practically no protecting from any other direction.

Beating cheeks sounds like a really good idea under the circumstances.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 10, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well eventually the gun crew did break in that they decided to leave their covered position and pull the gun backwards over open desert where they were finally finished off completely exposed.

Truly the most realistic AI simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
People being dumb and getting themselves killed is a pretty realistic portrayal of war