Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd live in Oxford on an AD's salary

(This is the first time I've even heard him mentioned in any of this, so, uh, OK)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it surprised me to see his name come up at all either, but I suppose reporters were wondering if he was thinking about jumping ship.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

I'd live in Oxford on an AD's salary

(This is the first time I've even heard him mentioned in any of this, so, uh, OK)

I saw his name thrown out by a Husker forum or SB Nation site or something like that via Facebook post (:v:) Glad he's not interested. Why would you want to hire the guy in charge of the Hugh Freeze House of Sleeze? Regardless of if he was part of it or not.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Gary Anderson has quit Oregon State. Resigned, sounds like. May have been bought out?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Did not see that one being one of the early ones.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

Gary Anderson has quit Oregon State. Resigned, sounds like. May have been bought out?

How horrible is working for Barry Alvarez that you basically commit career suicide by leaving a solid program in a ridiculously soft division for Oregon State?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Has anyone ever had three separate stints as head coach at the same school? I can think of a bunch with two, but not three, unless you count Alvarez's biannual bowl game coaching appearance. Becaue I think Mike Riley is gonna be available to make his uh, triumphant (?) return.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Dog posted:

How horrible is working for Barry Alvarez that you basically commit career suicide by leaving a solid program in a ridiculously soft division for Oregon State?

Very.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

Yeah, I still don't get it either

EDIT: They should hire Chip Kelly

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Does Wisconsin still have a statue of Alvarez in the head coach's office?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Has anyone ever had three separate stints as head coach at the same school? I can think of a bunch with two, but not three, unless you count Alvarez's biannual bowl game coaching appearance. Becaue I think Mike Riley is gonna be available to make his uh, triumphant (?) return.

Chris Ault had three

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/917461051737853952

Looks like he declined his buyout money????

Scandal, illness, or ???

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chris Ault had three

Yeah i looked it up and the answer is Chris Ault and some guys from the 20s and 30s. Also shouts to Dr. Eddie Anderson for getting non-consecutive coaching stints at two different schools, Iowa and Holy Cross

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/917461051737853952

Looks like he declined his buyout money????

Scandal, illness, or ???

Yeah something's up here. You don't give that up unless there's very good reason.

E: It drat sure wouldn't be illness, in that case his disability clause would have kicked in and he'd have been a moron to decline it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersen_vowed_he.html

quote:

Andersen also reiterated that if he didn't believe he could win at Oregon State he would pull the unprecedented move of tearing up his contract and letting the Beavers go free. And that appears to be what happened today in Corvallis in an announcement that shocked the campus.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Uhh if true p damning account of their athletic department's attitude.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Bill Snyder the next time K-State screws up his retirement, probably.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well i'll be damned

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Mike Riley -> Oregon State

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

Mike Riley -> Oregon State

Anderson to Nebraska, Scott Frost to UF in 2019.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Andersen also reiterated that if he didn't believe he could win at Oregon State he would pull the unprecedented move of tearing up his contract and letting the Beavers go free. And that appears to be what happened today in Corvallis in an announcement that shocked the campus.

I want to rub Bert's face in this over and over

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Lane Kiffin 2 Tennessee, Urbz 2 Florida, Nick Saban 2 Michigan State, Les Miles 2 LSU, Houston Nutt 2 Arkansas, Coach O 2 Ole Miss.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

Lane Kiffin 2 Tennessee, Urbz 2 Florida, Nick Saban 2 Michigan State, Les Miles 2 LSU, Houston Nutt 2 Arkansas, Coach O 2 Ole Miss.

so uh

do we get the Bear back

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
*shakes magic eight ball*

You get Dennis franchione, im so sorry. God bless.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

an adult beverage posted:

*shakes magic eight ball*

You get Dennis franchione, im so sorry. God bless.

is there a rule against a strength coach doubling as head coach

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Raku posted:

is there a rule against a strength coach doubling as head coach

Yes, but if you need other options Mike Price is technically still active.

Also George O'Leary to Notre Dame. We're gonna Field of Dreams this poo poo.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

General Dog posted:

Yes, but if you need other options Mike Price is technically still active.

Also George O'Leary to Notre Dame. We're gonna Field of Dreams this poo poo.

gently caress no they're taking charlie back and they're gonna like it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Raku posted:

gently caress no they're taking charlie back and they're gonna like it

no they ain't

they get tyrone back :getin:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Leach back to Tech?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kayakyakr posted:

Leach back to Tech?!

Probably not: https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/...UdGL3aE44g5vTP/

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Gary Anderson would be a great pickup for an American or MWC school.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

You missed the hypothetical situation, dawg.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa hasn't fired a coach since 1978 so I can't play this game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Speaking of, sounds like their AD is taking an extended leave for prostate cancer surgery and treatment. That sucks

E: Unrelated:

quote:

NC State: The University and head coach Dave Doeren are working on an extension reports Dan Wolken of USA Today, who adds the University expects to announce the extension in the coming days. Doeren’s existing contract only ran through the 2019 season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

I wonder who has had most head coach firings in this time, if we limit it to P5 teams.

Tennessee has 3, likely soon to be 4.

Johnny Majors was HC in 1978, started in 77' though. Was "forced to resign" in '92 so I'll count that as firing.
Phil Fulmer was there '92-08 and fired for Kiffin
Kiffin left of his own accord (bastard)
Dooley fired in '12
Butch likely won't last the season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/FakeFulmer/status/917529310231220230
https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/917529666524794880

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would pay good American money for Kiffin just to be in talks with the Vols, just to see if the campus burned down.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

I would pay good American money for Kiffin just to be in talks with the Vols, just to see if the campus burned down.

Personally I can't imagine them doing it but I also wouldn't care because of him leaving, I don't really give a poo poo about that anymore. I'd care because I don't think he's actually any good as a head coach.

But who knows maybe he learned from papa sabes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joey Freshwater posted:

Personally I can't imagine them doing it but I also wouldn't care because of him leaving, I don't really give a poo poo about that anymore. I'd care because I don't think he's actually any good as a head coach.

But who knows maybe he learned from papa sabes.

Has any coach from Saban's tree did really good, though? (Besides Jimbo, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joey Freshwater posted:

I wonder who has had most head coach firings in this time, if we limit it to P5 teams.

Tennessee has 3, likely soon to be 4.

Johnny Majors was HC in 1978, started in 77' though. Was "forced to resign" in '92 so I'll count that as firing.
Phil Fulmer was there '92-08 and fired for Kiffin
Kiffin left of his own accord (bastard)
Dooley fired in '12
Butch likely won't last the season.

Probably a ton of schools. Ron Turner, Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Bill Cubit, that's just this century. Koenning might count too but he was just interim for a bowl game. Lou tepper fired before Turner. the list goes on

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread