Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Drunk Badger posted:

I installed it this morning to remind myself what problems I had with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game I enjoyed a lot closer to its release date, but after playing Oblivion and Skyrim, there were things I didn't like about its older UI that always turned me off from playing more than a few hours.

This looks nice. Is it complete enough to use? It seems like they've completed a ton of stuff, but what's causing it not to be 'released'?

Just from playing on and off today, I'm not a fan of the small windows on an already small window area. I guess that's easy enough to fix if I can find a resolution mod, and moving to a larger monitor seems to help there as well.

I've never touched the UI with mods, only really have used visual enhancements mods in the past. I'd say I prefer the console-based menus of later games, but maybe that's because they just fill the screen. What do you guys think makes the Morrowind UI better? The fact that everything's there on one screen?

Also a good point on the UI, I'm not a fan of the icon-only approach for my inventory. This should help that.

Are you Todd Howard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
God bless DarkElfGuy and his Morrowind modding videos. Seems to just be really passionate about modding Morrowind and outside of a few big videos he doesn't get that many views, but he's performing a really valuable public service and I find them so helpful.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

God bless DarkElfGuy and his Morrowind modding videos. Seems to just be really passionate about modding Morrowind and outside of a few big videos he doesn't get that many views, but he's performing a really valuable public service and I find them so helpful.

:agreed:

also TR might actually have a real release next year
the bad news is youre gonna have to deal with my writing

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol

It seems like ages since there's actually been a full release.

I did a driveby of Baan Malur and the Grey Meadows today with my Wizard to check it out and it looks so cool. I guess it'll be another five years before there's any content there though

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

lol

It seems like ages since there's actually been a full release.

I did a driveby of Baan Malur and the Grey Meadows today with my Wizard to check it out and it looks so cool. I guess it'll be another five years before there's any content there though

there are tons of great talented people doing exteriors and interiors

quests and dialogue is me and one other person atm

thats what happens when the whole project seppukus for a few years, but now its back baby

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
TR1709 was a full release and that was just a month ago. :negative:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Atrayonis posted:

TR1709 was a full release and that was just a month ago. :negative:

I meant a new landmass with content and stuff.

I’m moaning but I do appreciate the work you guys put in to it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mr. Crow posted:

Are you Todd Howard

WOW can we not have trolls in this thread thank you

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

We're gonna have a full tamriel in no time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Average Bear posted:

We're gonna have a full tamriel in no time.

Full Tamrielism now

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Team Four Star (of DragonBall Z Abridged fame) is playing TES3MP right now, and it's loving hilarious:

https://www.twitch.tv/streamfourstar

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
LGNPCs. How is it these days? Worth installing? Will it gently caress up a heavily modded save?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Average Bear posted:

LGNPCs. How is it these days? Worth installing? Will it gently caress up a heavily modded save?

I quite like it - don't really do any of the quests but the extra background/mytrade stuff adds flavour to lots of NPCs.

There's a bug with LGNPC Tribunal that gives lots of monsters in the game robot noises though so avoid that one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The dialogue only LGNPC mod is sweet.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Straw poll: Do people actually read the lgnpc backstories etc in "my trade" "background" topics

I sure hope so lmao otherwise I'm wasting my time. One thing I do now for tr npcs is give them a unique greeting. That's basically the biggest non generic thing you can do, and it makes npcs sound rad.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
100 % yes - I always do that. A lot of the time I cast calm on hostile people to see if they’ve got any unique dialogue and really love it when they do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Entropy238 posted:

A lot of the time I cast calm on hostile people to see if they’ve got any unique dialogue and really love it when they do.

This kind of stuff is the coolest.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

iirc if you cast a target slowfall spell on tarhiel to save him and then ask him about the scrolls of icarian flight he says "i dont want to talk about it"

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Not strictly for lgnpc I haven't cracked open Morrowind for a couple years but personally I find it trite and annoying unless it is related to something.

My biggest problem with the Skyrim equivalent is the 'let me tell you my life's story even though I don't know you and you don't care and it's not interesting' thing.

If it's part of a quest or some interesting part of the world and gives cool world history/background information or can breadcrumb you to cool places, gently caress yes. If it's just some peasant farmer in Pelagaid telling me about life in Pelagaid... Not so much.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't like when npcs tell you stuff for no reason. Most nobles should tell you to gently caress off, other folks will probably mention the weather or some minor gripe. If an npc has a continue in their dialogue, that is too much.

There was a greeting in a future zone that was like "do you want to know about the shrine?" And if you clicked the topic the resulting dialogue had -5- continues.

That's no longer in thank god

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How do you handle conversation topics in TR by the way? From what I remember of my limited time modding, every word (at least quest-related) had to be unique? Seems like something that would be difficult to coordinate and you'd run out of useful words pretty fast.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

How do you handle conversation topics in TR by the way? From what I remember of my limited time modding, every word (at least quest-related) had to be unique? Seems like something that would be difficult to coordinate and you'd run out of useful words pretty fast.

you can use vanilla topics as long as you filter them correctly

you can set each topic response to be for a specific cell or npc, so its not really an issue

for the super generic topics like "my trade" "background" etc there are placeholder topics in TR_mainland to sort the dialogue by town/region.

there's also a global script that divides the map into different regions so outside of major cities even tiny towns/wilderness cells can have dialogue specific to their locale

its easier than it sounds

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Entropy238 posted:

100 % yes - I always do that. A lot of the time I cast calm on hostile people to see if they’ve got any unique dialogue and really love it when they do.

The Enchant master trainer being a hostile dungeon NPC is the kind of neat thing that absolutely wouldn’t fly in a modern game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

I assume that it's once in a hundred npcs?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Straw poll: Do people actually read the lgnpc backstories etc in "my trade" "background" topics

I sure hope so lmao otherwise I'm wasting my time. One thing I do now for tr npcs is give them a unique greeting. That's basically the biggest non generic thing you can do, and it makes npcs sound rad.

I do! Even Morrowind being the static jank that it is, it's still a very immersive game for me and anything that injects more life into the world, especially NPCs, is welcomed.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

double nine posted:

I assume that it's once in a hundred npcs?

It’s relatively rare yeah, but I wouldn’t say once in a hundred.

When you think about it it’s pretty hosed up going in to peoples’ homes/caves and murdering them just because you want their stuff. Sometimes I just cast a soul trap bugged command/calm spells and leave them to it. If they’ve got armour/weapons I’ll drain their fatigue, break their stuff with spells and take it from them when they’re passed out. I’ll generally kill them if they’re trading in slaves/are bad hombres but if they’re just smuggling then :shrug:

One of the often overlooked aspects of Morrowind is that every single npc has a name. I.e. if you bump in to a random dunmer, chances are their ancestral tomb is somewhere around the place. It’s an amazing touch and so much better than killing master bandit lord #7

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It also means that when you're a level 50 god making seven leagues jumps all over the place while a retinue of constant-effect summoned skeletons and atronachs follow you around, some backward ahslander outcast in their mismatched netch leather and chitin armor will still try to attack you.

Whereas in Oblivion or Skyrim, you'd get a random encounter of some level 50 NPCs all clad in priceless daedric armor. Bandits that could win a fight against Dagon or Alduin easily, but who prefer to use their considerable power to try to extort 5 gold pieces from the player character.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just remember how many travelers it took to grind out that glass armor set! That's dead-i-cat-ion, people jus' don' 'ave resp'ct fo these days.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Accidentally discovering the dialogue of all the ash whatevers in Kogoruhn was one of the game’s high points for me, especially when combined with their creepy interior decorating sense.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The Code Patch's attribute restore bug fix isn't working for me anymore. Some greater bonewalker took a few points of my strength away, and now I can't restore it. I'm a vampire too, so its not like I can just take off enchantments and restore.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Played some Morrowind MP with my friends and now I'm gonna play it forever again, I guess. What a good fate

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

It also means that when you're a level 50 god making seven leagues jumps all over the place while a retinue of constant-effect summoned skeletons and atronachs follow you around, some backward ahslander outcast in their mismatched netch leather and chitin armor will still try to attack you.

Whereas in Oblivion or Skyrim, you'd get a random encounter of some level 50 NPCs all clad in priceless daedric armor. Bandits that could win a fight against Dagon or Alduin easily, but who prefer to use their considerable power to try to extort 5 gold pieces from the player character.

Yeah, level scaling was this huge controversial thing when Oblivion came out. Nowadays it's the standard I'd say. Same goes for e.g. instancing in MMORPGs.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Entropy238 posted:

It’s relatively rare yeah, but I wouldn’t say once in a hundred.

When you think about it it’s pretty hosed up going in to peoples’ homes/caves and murdering them just because you want their stuff. Sometimes I just cast a soul trap bugged command/calm spells and leave them to it. If they’ve got armour/weapons I’ll drain their fatigue, break their stuff with spells and take it from them when they’re passed out. I’ll generally kill them if they’re trading in slaves/are bad hombres but if they’re just smuggling then :shrug:

One of the often overlooked aspects of Morrowind is that every single npc has a name. I.e. if you bump in to a random dunmer, chances are their ancestral tomb is somewhere around the place. It’s an amazing touch and so much better than killing master bandit lord #7

For some reason I can't get the soul trap bugged spells to work, did they patch in a fix for it or something?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

For some reason I can't get the soul trap bugged spells to work, did they patch in a fix for it or something?

I don’t think it was ever fixed. I’m playing with the latest version of MCP with the unofficial patch and it works fine with the command spell.

Are you sure you’re doing it right? It’s the effect you want first with a large area and on target, then soul trap for 1 sec on target with no area - don’t directly hit the target.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Entropy238 posted:

I don’t think it was ever fixed. I’m playing with the latest version of MCP with the unofficial patch and it works fine with the command spell.

Are you sure you’re doing it right? It’s the effect you want first with a large area and on target, then soul trap for 1 sec on target with no area - don’t directly hit the target.

I probably wasn't doing it right. I'll have to try again

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i appreciate whatever mod i've got (probably tr) that gave my character the option to be constantly smoking a cigar

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wow, Sotha Sil Expanded is a fantastically detailed mod that should never be played by anyone.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nvm just got to the city. This is definitely the part trainwiz worked on, wow.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Nvm just got to the city. This is definitely the part trainwiz worked on, wow.

i should finish my sse rework that cuts 80% of the intro dungeon, is what i'm hearing

also darknut is preemptively dmcaing my unreleased GDR patch for normal folks, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

i should finish my sse rework that cuts 80% of the intro dungeon, is what i'm hearing

also darknut is preemptively dmcaing my unreleased GDR patch for normal folks, which is neat.

How do you preemptively DMCA something? Just harassing your server? Nevermind that you shouldn't be able to DMCA a Morrowind mod because the EULA both you and darknut agreed to opening the creation kit said Bethesda owns everything either of you made using it.