Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lorne Michaels is... a piece of poo poo?

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/917163220288327680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think people just like to hate people and are always looking for reasons to do so.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Josh Lyman posted:

Lorne Michaels is... a piece of poo poo?

I don't doubt he said something like this, but I'd wait for a corroborating story; The New York Post is a conservative rag, and a lot of the conservative press is starting to grapple with the fact that liberals are less "upset that a big Democratic donor has been shamed and destroyed" and more "glad we don't have to deal with that prick anymore."

That said, Lorne Michaels does kind of suck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The New York Post
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/917777443154427905

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/917778298469482497

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I don't doubt he said something like this, but I'd wait for a corroborating story; The New York Post is a conservative rag, and a lot of the conservative press is starting to grapple with the fact that liberals are less "upset that a big Democratic donor has been shamed and destroyed" and more "glad we don't have to deal with that prick anymore."

That said, Lorne Michaels does kind of suck.
Video here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4960654/amp/SNL-s-Lorne-Michaels-reveals-didn-t-roast-Weinstein.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm surprised you liked The Good Doctor at all, DP. I only watched the pilot but I really didn't like it. So much wasted potential.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You get why ultra conservative outrage rags are pushing this story right

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

For real. "LOOK! SEE? LIBERALS ARE HYPOCRITES!!!"

Meanwhile, if you read more about it, the jokes apparently fell flat with the studio audience so Lorne cut them and said "It's a New York thing". I took that as the crowd from New York didn't think the jokes were funny and the show is supposed to be funny. So Lorne cut them. Weird, huh?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I do but...

Croatoan posted:

Meanwhile, if you read more about it, the jokes apparently fell flat with the studio audience so Lorne cut them and said "It's a New York thing". I took that as the crowd from New York didn't think the jokes were funny and the show is supposed to be funny. Weird, huh?
Not exactly. From the NYT story, "The person familiar with Saturday’s episode said that Mr. Michaels, in referring to “a New York thing” and Mr. Weinstein, had meant that the events surrounding Mr. Weinstein seemed at the time like a New York media story with which a national television audience might not be familiar."

That's pretty tone-deaf.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Meanwhile, if you read more about it, the jokes apparently fell flat with the studio audience so Lorne cut them and said "It's a New York thing". I took that as the crowd from New York didn't think the jokes were funny and the show is supposed to be funny. So Lorne cut them. Weird, huh?

If SNL had to cut every bad joke each episode would just be the opening credits :v:

And considering how few people in Hollywood have called out Weinstein, it's probably Lorne Micheals being a piece of poo poo.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well he is a piece of poo poo regardless.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/davidfolkenflik/status/917774746401624065

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/917765062567383040

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/917765408412794880

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/917765840648462336

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/917770137977094144

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/916070020773421056

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

President Rapist making catty comments about the New York celebs he spent his entire life trying to impress.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I'm surprised you liked The Good Doctor at all, DP. I only watched the pilot but I really didn't like it. So much wasted potential.

Come on, this is me you're talking about. I'll find good in almost anything.

That said I just started watching the third episode and was compelled to write ANOTHER short essay on my Facebook. Trigger warning: Grognardery.

quote:

Hey, I just started the third episode of this and it’s already inspired another short essay. Let’s talk a little more about writing to an idea vs. writing to character.

One of my favorite shows on the air right now is LUCIFER. It’s silly for a lot of people’s tastes—it’s about The Devil abandoning Hell and living a hedonistic lifestyle in Los Angeles while working as a consulting detective for the LAPD—and beyond that, many are kind of burned out with procedurals. But it’s fun, pulpy, thoughtful, and—crucially—puts character first. The mysteries themselves aren’t great, but they’re excellent excuses to let the characters play and plumb Lucifer’s psyche, both things the show excels at

There’s an key signpost for this: whereas your typical procedural will start with a dramatization of the murder or the discovery of the body, nearly every episode of Lucifer starts with a scene of Lucifer. The body of the week doesn’t enter the episode until he’s near it. Another excellent procedural, LIFE, did something similar; there were exceptions, but for the most part, this was Charlie Crews’ story, and we rarely saw the body until Charlie Crews did.

This week’s episode of The Good Doctor starts with a random kid on a motorcycle getting creamed by an oncoming car.

It’s way too early to tell if this is going to be the norm, but it’s, uh, not a good precedent. Either way, food for thought.

EDIT: It’s worth pointing out that David Shore’s other show, HOUSE, always started with the patient; that’s kind of what makes me think we’re going down the same road. (Like in House, there’s a fixation in The Good Doctor with the situational value of truth and/or lies. It was a big part of the second episode’s B-plot, and it’s supposed to come up in this episode too. But that a pet theme of Shore’s; it was in his pilot for SNEAKY PETE as well.) But it made sense because Greg House was obsessed with the puzzle anyway. The mystery was part of his character. Shore can’t really get away with that in The Good Doctor because Shaun, as we know him, isn’t nearly as interested. He’s just a brilliant surgeon who’s eager to help.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 10, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's not as if Hollywood types circling the wagons around their own is anything new. I wouldn't be surprised if Lorne, who is also old af, finds Weinstein's excuse to ring true but knows better than to really say that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

That said I just started watching the third episode and was compelled to write ANOTHER short essay on my Facebook. Trigger warning: Grognardery.

I saw "surgeon" and "eager to help" at the end and my brain couldn't reconcile those two things. Is it about a surgeon that's not a callous dick? Because that would make it possibly the most unrealistic medical show ever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DivisionPost posted:

Have you seen the original at all? I haven't seen either fwiw, just curious. I wonder how the Korean show's portrayal is compared to the American version.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

It's not as if Hollywood types circling the wagons around their own is anything new. I wouldn't be surprised if Lorne, who is also old af, finds Weinstein's excuse to ring true but knows better than to really say that.

Lots of people who should know better still apologise for Polanski.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
And on the other hand you have people lumping men who had consentual sex with people they weren't married to and drunkenly flirted with women in Twitter DMs with serial child rapists.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I saw "surgeon" and "eager to help" at the end and my brain couldn't reconcile those two things. Is it about a surgeon that's not a callous dick? Because that would make it possibly the most unrealistic medical show ever.

The speech he gives at the end of the first episode is about the pain he felt when his abusive father murdered his pet rabbit, and then again when his brother died, and how he wants to spare others that pain. And then the board of directors he gives this speech to applaud him and welcome him to the hospital. The writing is Hallmark-grade horseshit.

OH. IT GETS BETTER. I stopped the third episode for like an hour to write that addendum up, and then finally resumed, only to have to stop once more when Shaun's hot neighbor dropped by looking for AAA batteries for her PS4 controller. Lady. Just plug the thing into your console. Come on.

(Yes, I'm aware I namedropped Life, which was infamously stupider about how video games work.)

[quote="“esperterra”" post="“477245419”"]
Have you seen the original at all? I haven’t seen either fwiw, just curious. I wonder how the Korean show’s portrayal is compared to the American version.
[/quote]

I haven't seen the original, and I confess I'm only marginally curious about it. If I run into it on Netflix I might give it a run.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

And on the other hand you have people lumping men who had consentual sex with people they weren't married to and drunkenly flirted with women in Twitter DMs with serial child rapists.

That seems to be mostly internet people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

The speech he gives at the end of the first episode is about the pain he felt when his abusive father murdered his pet rabbit, and then again when his brother died, and how he wants to spare others that pain. And then the board of directors he gives this speech to applaud him and welcome him to the hospital. The writing is Hallmark-grade horseshit.

That's hilarious. Surgery is a specialty where not having a great bedside manner and not caring about your patients isn't just not a drawback, it's an asset.

Life was such a good show, that terrible video game episode you mentioned notwithstanding. Super unrealistic but the character work was all really well done. Also Damien Lewis was fantastic at doing that whole "unhinged zen detective" thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's hilarious. Surgery is a specialty where not having a great bedside manner and not caring about your patients isn't just not a drawback, it's an asset.

See, the weird thing is, I can live with that. In addition to telling generally more expedient stories, I think you can get at something thematically interesting by making surgeons, in this show's universe, also take on the work of attending physicians and/or nurses(?). And there were a couple of points in this latest episode where they kinda took advantage of that, but they overplayed their hand and the whole thing just comes off as obnoxiously melodramatic. This week's episode could've been devastating—and to be fair, it probably will be devastating for some—if they just slowed their loving roll and thought it through a little more instead of just going for cheap tears.

quote:

Life was such a good show, that terrible video game episode you mentioned notwithstanding. Super unrealistic but the character work was all really well done. Also Damien Lewis was fantastic at doing that whole "unhinged zen detective" thing.

Honestly, I loved that episode. It was literally just one bad act that spoiled an otherwise thrilling, heartbreaking story. And yeah, beyond that ill-advised moment, the unrealism of it was part of the show's point. We were in Charlie Crews' head; there's a pattern to it that the show tried its damndest to capture.

EDIT: This is still my lock screen.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 10, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I forgot about Life, yeah it was great.

Which in a roundabout way reminds me I really need to rewatch Awake

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I need to finish Awake. I remember really enjoying the first few episodes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A custom-designed insulated bodysuit filled with chili for the purposes of sneaking it into a hockey game & selling it in secret.

And now he's selling it by squeezing it into people's cups from underneath his jacket ahahahahahaha

Goddamn I love this stupid show so much :allears:

What show is this?

I watched the first two episodes of Ghosted last night. The first one I was kinda 'eh', but the second one was pretty great. Then again, no matter what kind of crap Adam Scott and/or Craig Robinson show up in, they can get at least a few chuckles out of me.

"Hey, I've been to a party or two in my time."
"Well, which was it? One or two?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Ditto.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

It's a bit of a weird case, the first couple episodes are amazing, it kind of stalls for a couple episodes, then it gets super good at the end again.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Ghosted last night. The first one I was kinda 'eh', but the second one was pretty great. Then again, no matter what kind of crap Adam Scott and/or Craig Robinson show up in, they can get at least a few chuckles out of me.

Yeah episode 2 was great, I hope it catches on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You really don't need to see the rest of Awake, just watch the last episode, it's batshit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Netflix should bring back Awake and Daybreak as a single crossover show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Netflix should bring back Awake and Daybreak as a single crossover show.

Awake and Flashforward crossover

I WAS LOADED

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Flashforward was bad. It had promise though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Flashforward was bad. It had promise though.
Yeah, I was super hyped for it and The Event.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, the coolest thread in Flashforward was the guy who was sick of everyone wondering whether there was predestination, and he was like, fine, I was alive in your Flashforward? I'm gonna jump off a building now. If there's predestination, I won't be able to. Oh look, I died. No predestination.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LadyPictureShow posted:

What show is this?

Nathan for You. Comedian Nathan Fielder acts as a consultant to small business owners and gets them to stage ridiculous, usually insanely elaborate stunts to "stay competitive" (i.e., getting an electronics store to advertise big screen HDTVs for $1 - but requiring customers to meet a dress code, then crawl through a tiny door into a room containing a live alligator to actually purchase them - which is all just a pretense for Nathan to use Best Buy's price match guarantee to buy out the local branch's stock of the same model of HDTVs, so the small business can resell them.)

It's a great show - depending on your tolerance for cringe comedy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snak posted:

Like, the coolest thread in Flashforward was the guy who was sick of everyone wondering whether there was predestination, and he was like, fine, I was alive in your Flashforward? I'm gonna jump off a building now. If there's predestination, I won't be able to. Oh look, I died. No predestination.

Unfortunately that guy ended up doing the same thing in real life, just by different means. He was a pretty solid TV actor too. Sad story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't seen Nathan For You but the concept seems really mean-spirited and it always sounds like he's taking advantage of small business owners for the sake of comedy. Is it actually like that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't seen Nathan For You but the concept seems really mean-spirited and it always sounds like he's taking advantage of small business owners for the sake of comedy. Is it actually like that?

Watch the cheap gas episode and decide for yourself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's never come across as mean-spirited to me. He doesn't mock the business owners, just kind of baffle them.

One thing in the latest episode was kinda mean in its own way though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched the special the other night and Nathan bringing back the teenage kid who was promised a 40 as soon as he came of age but then denying the kid his 40 after he didn't bring his claim ticket he was given in the episode years ago had me in tears.

• Locked thread